PDA

View Full Version : TCU Horned Frogs

Daddy D 11
12-30-2010, 11:54 AM
What do you guys think?

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Somewhere in between. They're not the elite team that #3 shows.... but they're not a pushover either. they belong somewhere with the 1 loss teams... 10ish range. If they played a tough schedule... they'd lose at least 1 game.

Bullaholic
12-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Saturday will be the big boy litmus test, and I'm bettin' the Toads will prove themselves able to pee in the tall grass.

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
Somewhere in between. They're not the elite team that #3 shows.... but they're not a pushover either. they belong somewhere with the 1 loss teams... 10ish range. If they played a tough schedule... they'd lose at least 1 game.

I have to ask..of all the "big boys" who actually plays a legit tough schedule?

Daddy D 11
12-30-2010, 12:37 PM
It's one game though, a game they had a month to prepare for. The one game TCU plays against a great opponent they get a month to game plan. Wisconsin played good football teams and beat good football teams in a 6 day window multiple times. The games TCU can "hang their hat on" are Oregon State, and Utah. They had all off season to prepare for the Beavers and Utah lost 3 out of their last 5, they were outscored 101-13 in those 3 losses. Utah was nothing but a huge flop.

We saw all year that playing tough competition back to back weekends or playing two tough games in a three week span can ruin a teams season... TCU never had to go through that.

Like Colin Cowherd said the other day on his show: Teams like TCU are like the guy that makes $30,000 a year and wants to get treated the same at a party as the guys that make $300,000 a year. It just doesn't work! Until you put in the same body of work and still produce results you are still a gimmick in my opinion.

Daddy D 11
12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I have to ask..of all the "big boys" who actually plays a legit tough schedule?

While other teams might not play legit schedules, are you really prepared to argue that playing A&M, Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas every year is the same as playing Wyoming, Colorado State, San Diego State and Air Force?

The Aggies in a month played the Sooners and Huskers at home, then went on the road to Waco and on the road to Austin in rivalry games and beat all those teams. TCU hasn't done something that impressive in the past 3 years combined.

Daddy D 11
12-30-2010, 12:51 PM
We can keep this in the big 12 all day long and it still out shines anything TCU has done in years. And the big 12 really isn't even one of the greatest conferences. Mizzou this year goes to college station and beats the aggies... and what do they get for that? Oklahoma coming to town and then a trip to Lincoln the next weekend, followed by another road trip to Lubbock. Compare that to what TCU does and it is laughable. At least Boise tries to schedule the best, they too cop out and try to get their elite opponents in week 1 so they have extra time to level the playing field.. but at least they schedule them.

Bullaholic
12-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
We can keep this in the big 12 all day long and it still out shines anything TCU has done in years. And the big 12 really isn't even one of the greatest conferences. Mizzou this year goes to college station and beats the aggies... and what do they get for that? Oklahoma coming to town and then a trip to Lincoln the next weekend, followed by another road trip to Lubbock. Compare that to what TCU does and it is laughable. At least Boise tries to schedule the best, they too cop out and try to get their elite opponents in week 1 so they have extra time to level the playing field.. but at least they schedule them.

SHUT UP, DADDY! :mad: :D

Daddy D 11
12-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
SHUT UP, DADDY! :mad: :D

:hairpunk: Ok.

:devil: :D

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 01:09 PM
I have to ask..of all the "big boys" who actually plays a legit tough schedule? I'd say Auburn's was tough... :thinking:

Sure they play some cupcakes... but they also played SC twice, bama, lsu, and arkie.

Wisconsin will be far and away the best team TCU has played... and they MIGHT be as good as all the above listed SEC teams. :thinking:

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2010, 01:12 PM
I'd say Auburn's was tough... :thinking:

Sure they play some cupcakes... but they also played SC twice, bama, lsu, and arkie.

Wisconsin will be far and away the best team TCU has played... and they MIGHT be as good as all the above listed SEC teams. :thinking:

I guess..I also think the SEC is so vastly overrated..they lose to each other or almost do and they clamor..well yea cause we are all so tough...even though SEC outside of conference on road is TERRIBLE.

And no I am not saying TCU plays a tough schedule, I just think other schedules get overrated

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 01:12 PM
While other teams might not play legit schedules, are you really prepared to argue that playing A&M, Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas every year is the same as playing Wyoming, Colorado State, San Diego State and Air Force?

The Aggies in a month played the Sooners and Huskers at home, then went on the road to Waco and on the road to Austin in rivalry games and beat all those teams. TCU hasn't done something that impressive in the past 3 years combined. +1

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2010, 01:13 PM

The Aggies in a month played the Sooners and Huskers at home, then went on the road to Waco and on the road to Austin in rivalry games and beat all those teams. TCU hasn't done something that impressive in the past 3 years combined.

I guiess beating OU( good team) a NU team with NO OFFENSE and really a defense that was not as good as last year...a Baylor team that is hot and cold and a UT team that was 5-7 is impressive..to me it was meh

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 01:17 PM
I guess..I also think the SEC is so vastly overrated..they lose to each other or almost do and they clamor..well yea cause we are all so tough...even though SEC outside of conference on road is TERRIBLE.

And no I am not saying TCU plays a tough schedule, I just think other schedules get overrated You expect to run through that schedule and blow everyone out? Yeah right... they beat up on each other...

The SEC is the best football conference. No doubt about it. Look at the last few NC's.

See what Florida did to Cincy last year and OSU the year before that?

Playing LSU or Arkie or South Carolina or Bama is respectable, but to play them all in one season (and SC twice) and beat every single one of them is impressive.

Just look at a team like a&m.

@ OSU
vs Arkie at a neutral site
vs mizzou
@Baylor
vs Nebraska
@ UT

That's insane and much tougher than damn near every team in the country's schedule... and throw in Tech somewhere in there...

EDIT: LOL.... I forgot OU..... prolly the best team outta all of them. :doh:

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 01:19 PM
I guiess beating OU( good team) a NU team with NO OFFENSE and really a defense that was not as good as last year...a Baylor team that is hot and cold and a UT team that was 5-7 is impressive..to me it was meh If you include the fact that they had games with OSU/Arkie/tech/mizzou.... then you could understand how its tough to play great every week. Fact is, they beat all those quality teams you listed.

There's something to be said for having a murderous schedule and still coming out with 9 wins.

Now meh.... that is beating SDSU and Colorado St by 40 every week.

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2010, 01:21 PM
You expect to run through that schedule and blow everyone out? Yeah right... they beat up on each other...

The SEC is the best football conference. No doubt about it. Look at the last few NC's.

See what Florida did to Cincy last year and OSU the year before that?

Playing LSU or Arkie or South Carolina or Bama is respectable, but to play them all in one season (and SC twice) and beat every single one of them is impressive.

Just look at a team like a&m.

@ OSU
vs Arkie at a neutral site
vs mizzou
@Baylor
vs Nebraska
@ UT

That's insane and much tougher than damn near every team in the country's schedule... and throw in Tech somewhere in there...

what is so impressive about beating a LSU team that was OVERRATED..a SC team that was ok, not great?

Again..IMO people are looking at the NAME of the teams and going WOW those teams are awesome, when in reality they arent...again not saying TCU played a tougher schedule., I just think the whole idea that Auburn, or Oregon played a schedule WAY WAY tougher is overrated

Daddy D 11
12-30-2010, 01:27 PM
I guiess beating OU( good team) a NU team with NO OFFENSE and really a defense that was not as good as last year...a Baylor team that is hot and cold and a UT team that was 5-7 is impressive..to me it was meh

I see your point and we think along the same lines. But when comparing to TCU's schedule, I don't think it's "meh" at all. An average AQ teams schedule is twice if not three times what TCU's is.

Macarthur
12-30-2010, 01:27 PM
You can complain about TCU's schedule and I would agree to some extent.

BUT, if you're arguing that A&M would beat TCU, you would be wrong. I saw TCU play 3 times this year and they are legit. If fact, I think the team in for an awakening is Wisc. The Big 10 is pathetic. TCU is going to make a very good showing for themselves.

Daddy D 11
12-30-2010, 01:29 PM
If you include the fact that they had games with OSU/Arkie/tech/mizzou.... then you could understand how its tough to play great every week. Fact is, they beat all those quality teams you listed.

There's something to be said for having a murderous schedule and still coming out with 9 wins.

Now meh.... that is beating SDSU and Colorado St by 40 every week.

TCU only beat SDSU by 5. And was up 6-0 on CSU at half, only to win 27-0.

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 01:30 PM
what is so impressive about beating a LSU team that was OVERRATED..a SC team that was ok, not great?

Again..IMO people are looking at the NAME of the teams and going WOW those teams are awesome, when in reality they arent...again not saying TCU played a tougher schedule., I just think the whole idea that Auburn, or Oregon played a schedule WAY WAY tougher is overrated They might have been overrated, but they're probably the 5th best team Auburn played and still better than anyone TCU played. :thinking: :doh:

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2010, 01:31 PM
They might have been overrated, but they're probably the 5th best team Auburn played and still better than anyone TCU played. :thinking: :doh:

and Idisagree..I dont think LSU would be TCU

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 01:31 PM
TCU only beat SDSU by 5. And was up 6-0 on CSU at half, only to win 27-0. lol... even more fuel to the fire... I just kinda assumed they won by 100.... haha

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 01:32 PM
and Idisagree..I dont think LSU would be TCU I never said LSU would beat TCU, but I DID say LSU is better than anyone TCU played this year.

Macarthur
12-30-2010, 01:35 PM
I see your point and we think along the same lines. But when comparing to TCU's schedule, I don't think it's "meh" at all. An average AQ teams schedule is twice if not three times what TCU's is.

Not quite. I think SOS is a bit misleading because the 'stronger' conf playing each other so much makes it a bit of a chicken and egg.

What I think is a better indicator is head to head match ups. While conferences like the wac and mac are not that strong, the MWC has been a bear. They actually have a winning record against ranked teams and BCS schools.

[url]http://blog.philsteele.com/2010/07/10/conference-bowl-rankings-past-decade/[/quote]

So while you might be right that the middle of the non-bcs conferences are not as strong as the middle of the bcs, when you look at the top MWC school versus the top of BCS conferences, they stack up very well.

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2010, 01:38 PM
I never said LSU would beat TCU, but I DID say LSU is better than anyone TCU played this year.

maybe,..TCU beat two top 25 teams..Auburn beat 4( SC twice so not counting that as 5)

LSU beat 4 top 25 teams lost to 2 others

so again..not saying TCU scedule is tougher..I am saying it is not like LSU or Auburn or A&M or Texas were playing 10 top 10 teams while TCU was playing the East Central Tech

Daddy D 11
12-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Good points, the tops have faired well. But like you said, I think a schedule is truly complete when the middle teams between big games are fairly tough as well. Let's be honest, there are teams TCU and Boise play that are just jokes compared to others.

It is alot easier to get up for ONE game a year than it is to be required to play at that same level for an entire month.

The Cowherd argument I mentioned earlier I really feel fits this problem best. You bring hardly any money to the table, you play in front of 25,000 every week, you play teams that have never been anything at all and then you hold your hand out and say "reward us". I am not saying this analogy fits TCU football, but I am saying this fits the mold of teams that are in TCU's situation so to speak. You can't be different than all the others but want to be treated the same.

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Good points, the tops have faired well. But like you said, I think a schedule is truly complete when the middle teams between big games are fairly tough as well. Let's be honest, there are teams TCU and Boise play that are just jokes compared to others.

It is alot easier to get up for ONE game a year than it is to be required to play at that same level for an entire month.

The Cowherd argument I mentioned earlier I really feel fits this problem best. You bring hardly any money to the table, you play in front of 25,000 every week, you play teams that have never been anything at all and then you hold your hand out and say "reward us". I am not saying this analogy fits TCU football, but I am saying this fits the mold of teams that are in TCU's situation so to speak. You can't be different than all the others but want to be treated the same.

I dont think TCU wants to be different..problem is, which top 10 team will schedule them? Texas did a few years ago..but would Auburn put them on the sked?

Macarthur
12-30-2010, 02:08 PM
that's an excellent point. TCU has hell getting anyone to schedule them OOC.

And C. Cowherd is such a giant Dewsh, I don't care if he made the most amazing point ever, I would not acknowledge him. He truly is the ultimate tool.

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 02:49 PM
maybe,..TCU beat two top 25 teams..Auburn beat 4( SC twice so not counting that as 5)

so again..not saying TCU scedule is tougher..I am saying it is not like LSU or Auburn or A&M or Texas were playing 10 top 10 teams while TCU was playing the East Central Tech The main difference is... these are also top 10 teams... not teams that are no longer ranked. OSU didn't even get a bowl game, right? Do they really count?

AND Auburn is playing these teams week after week. TCU gets 2 months in between playing decent teams.

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
that's an excellent point. TCU has hell getting anyone to schedule them OOC.

And C. Cowherd is such a giant Dewsh, I don't care if he made the most amazing point ever, I would not acknowledge him. He truly is the ultimate tool. Dewsh? LOL

And I'm wondering if OSU will take TCU up on their offer and schedule them?

Black Swarm
12-30-2010, 03:08 PM

Who are these supposed big boys Boise scheduled?
I noticed A&M really loads up on their non-conference schedule. Beat Florida International by 7. I'll give you OU and OU State but don't act like the rest of that schedule is the SEC.
TCU will play anyone. Big 12 won't put them in the conference because of money and recruiting. TCU of course would join Big 12 if they were offered.
TCU probably represents the Texas 3A schools better than anyone in the state.
No I have not looked at every roster in the state to back that up.

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Black Swarm
Who are these supposed big boys Boise scheduled?
I noticed A&M really loads up on their non-conference schedule. Beat Florida International by 7. I'll give you OU and OU State but don't act like the rest of that schedule is the SEC.
Arkansas ring a bell?

And I think UT/Mizzou/Nebraska might have an argument too. :thinking:

And for argument's sake, everyone knows A&M wasn't playing their best ball then, AND FIU was in a bowl game and WON. A lot more than some schools can say.

Tx Challenge
12-30-2010, 03:27 PM

so again..not saying TCU scedule is tougher..I am saying it is not like LSU or Auburn or A&M or Texas were playing 10 top 10 teams while TCU was playing the East Central Tech

As an Auburn fan, I have to point out that Auburn actually played 5 teams ranked in the current BCS top 25. Six if you count S.C twice.

If you guys remember, I have stated for years I would love to see a playoff system. I dont think TCU has as tough of a schedule as a lot of teams. They would have a tough time if they were in the SEC and I think there are several teams over there that would give them a game. I think the Rose Bowl is going to be a good test for them. IMO it is one of the best match ups out there.

I in no way am bashing TCU! I pull for them, just stating my opinion. I think they would play anyone. It sucks that they really dont get the opportunity...

Black Swarm
12-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Easy game to play.
TCU 45 Baylor 10
A&M 42 Baylor 30

I'm not sure why you even mention UT.

Nebraska beats South Dakota State 17-3
Nebraska beats Iowa State by 1
Missouri beat Iowa State 14-0
Utah beat Iowa State 68-27
TCU beats Utah 47-7

Tell Mike to call Gary I'm 100% sure the Frogs would be happy to schedule the Aggies.

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Easy game to play.
TCU 45 Baylor 10
A&M 42 Baylor 30

TCU beats Utah 47-7

Tell Mike to call Gary I'm 100% sure the Frogs would be happy to schedule the Aggies. LOL and UT got beat by Iowa State... so they must be the worst team in the country, right?

Team A beat team B crap never works.
:doh:

I'm sure that TCU would love to schedule A&M right smack in the middle of a bunch of cupcakes while A&M comes into the game having played the consecutive ranked opponents. Ags would probably still win. :doh:

sTxforlife
12-30-2010, 05:20 PM

+1

Daddy D 11
12-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Easy game to play.
TCU 45 Baylor 10
A&M 42 Baylor 30

TCU beats Utah 47-7

Tell Mike to call Gary I'm 100% sure the Frogs would be happy to schedule the Aggies.

You are severally missing the point!

TCU's entire schedule is filled with teams like the ones you mentioned. Nebraska only played South Dakota State once, Mizzou only played Iowa State once. TCU plays teams of that nature every stinking week.

Mizzou in the 30 days before playing Iowa State had played OU, Nebraska, Tech and KState. LOL, all of those teams are in bowl games.

bigwood33
12-30-2010, 06:35 PM
It isn't even the 1's, it is a question of quality depth. Over the course of the season, a teams depth is challenged and TCU's would be found wanting. If TCU were in the Big 12 right now, they would be a consistent 7-5, 8-4, and occasional 9-3 team....maybe if everything went right for them. The days of them playing in BCS games would be over and they still wouldn't fill their own stadium. My guess is that Wisconsin beats them by 17+

Black Swarm
12-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
It isn't even the 1's, it is a question of quality depth. Over the course of the season, a teams depth is challenged and TCU's would be found wanting. If TCU were in the Big 12 right now, they would be a consistent 7-5, 8-4, and occasional 9-3 team....maybe if everything went right for them. The days of them playing in BCS games would be over and they still wouldn't fill their own stadium. My guess is that Wisconsin beats them by 17+

You can only play who is on your schedule.
The AQ's don't want to play you for the fact you can beat them.
Depth?
Have you really ever looked at TCU's depth?
You guys act like I've never heard these
arguments before.
TCU is a very good football team and I truly hope they are victorious on Saturday.

bigwood33
12-30-2010, 07:30 PM
You can only play who is on your schedule.
The AQ's don't want to play you for the fact you can beat them.
Depth?
Have you really ever looked at TCU's depth?
You guys act like I've never heard these
arguments before.
TCU is a very good football team and I truly hope they are victorious on Saturday.
You may not like it but until they, TCU, plays someone week in and week out, that will be the argument. My guess is they will be very competitive in an extremely average Big East but only time will tell.
Wisconsin will grind them to dust. Badgers by 17+

Matthew328
12-30-2010, 07:51 PM
I can't wait for Saturday, if the Frogs find a way to win all the excuses will come out. TCU is in a no win situation with some who have trouble accepting the fact they are legit.

All the usual arguments come out, don't play anyone, don't have good attendance blah blah.

Man for man TCU is legit, they have size, speed, great coaching and NFL type prospects. They have been doing this with kids no one wants, what happens now that they are getting kids everyone wants??

All TCU can do is go out and beat the folks who are on the schedule, nothing more nothing less it just seems like they get more respect nationally than they do in state.

big daddy russ
12-30-2010, 08:02 PM
They're a BCS team in a year and a half. We'll find out then.

And FYI, they might not be the best team in the nation, but they are an elite team.

Matthew328
12-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Another bad argument is TCU goes 8-4 in the Big 12....TCU's recruiting would also skyrocket if they were in the Big 12 and it is skyrocketing now that they are in the Big East

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 08:39 PM
There are about 20 schools that would've went undefeated with TCU's schedule. Lol

Matthew328
12-30-2010, 08:43 PM
There are about 20 schools that would've went undefeated with TCU's schedule. Lol

Maybe they would..but the Rose Bowl sure is awesome.

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Maybe they would..but the Rose Bowl sure is awesome. Rose bowl is great. Wisconsin is a quality team. Let's see what happens.

Matthew328
12-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Whisky is a great team, hopefully my frogs can pull it out and change the mind of at least a few doubters

Tejastrue
12-30-2010, 09:19 PM
It's one game though, a game they had a month to prepare for. The one game TCU plays against a great opponent they get a month to game plan. Wisconsin played good football teams and beat good football teams in a 6 day window multiple times. The games TCU can "hang their hat on" are Oregon State, and Utah. They had all off season to prepare for the Beavers and Utah lost 3 out of their last 5, they were outscored 101-13 in those 3 losses. Utah was nothing but a huge flop.

We saw all year that playing tough competition back to back weekends or playing two tough games in a three week span can ruin a teams season... TCU never had to go through that.

Like Colin Cowherd said the other day on his show: Teams like TCU are like the guy that makes $30,000 a year and wants to get treated the same at a party as the guys that make $300,000 a year. It just doesn't work! Until you put in the same body of work and still produce results you are still a gimmick in my opinion.

Colin Cowherd? Really?:confused:

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Whisky is a great team, hopefully my frogs can pull it out and change the mind of at least a few doubters I'll still have my doubts, but it'll go a long ways.

I do like Tank Carder outta Sweeny, Tx. Kid can play!

LoboesWT
12-30-2010, 10:45 PM

That's in line with what about every knowledgable college football analyst has said all year. If you wanna run with the big dogs, you have to get off the porch!

Matthew328
12-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
That's in line with what about every knowledgable college football analyst has said all year. If you wanna run with the big dogs, you have to get off the porch!

All the knowledgeable analysts are also predicting Wisconsin dominance...the end is near for my Frogs I guess.

LoboesWT
12-30-2010, 11:35 PM
All the knowledgeable analysts are also predicting Wisconsin dominance...the end is near for my Frogs I guess.

I am pulling for TCU though, anything to add more fuel to the BCS system debate. If I had a symbol to illustrate the hand signal for the Horned Frog, imagine it inserted here:D!

big daddy russ
12-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Ha!

From what I've seen, this is a matchup between the third- and fourth-best teams in the country. TCU's more athletic than Wisc, but the Badgers have been absolutely dominant at the LOS.

Also, six weeks sure is a long time to be off. Especially with Christmas dinner sandwiched between there. We'll also get to see which team is sharper and more well-prepared coming off the layoff.

Eagle1
12-31-2010, 09:33 PM
What is the status on the kid from Carthage that went there? He was an awesome HS RB. I saw him play against Celina and thought he was one of the best backs I have ever seen in high school.

Black Swarm
12-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Eagle1
What is the status on the kid from Carthage that went there? He was an awesome HS RB. I saw him play against Celina and thought he was one of the best backs I have ever seen in high school.

Dwight Smith RB-Carthage
Tore ACL in Spring Game.
Saw him in last practice before they left for
Rose Bowl. He looks 100% healthy.
He entered TCU in January 2010.
He is redshirt this year.

Tx Challenge
12-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Ha!

From what I've seen, this is a matchup between the third- and fourth-best teams in the country. TCU's more athletic than Wisc, but the Badgers have been absolutely dominant at the LOS.

Also, six weeks sure is a long time to be off. Especially with Christmas dinner sandwiched between there. We'll also get to see which team is sharper and more well-prepared coming off the layoff.

Like I said earlier....I feel this is one of the best matchups this year. Cant wait......

BDR.....War Eagle:D :D