PDA

View Full Version : HS Football

BEAST
12-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Should HS football coaches have that little red flag in their pocket? The right to a review? Maybe playoffs only? Thoughts?

BEAST

Sweetwater Red
12-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow! Really? :doh:

Tejastrue
12-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Playoffs? Yes!!

TexMike
12-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Before anyone starts thinking seriously about instant replay in Texas HS football there needs to be a move to officiating crews of 7 persons. Also, IR does nt guarantee there will be no mistakes. I can show you video after video wherein IR was unable to correct an error or refused to do so.

There are lots of things we can do to improve officiating, especially in the playoffs without IR

Txbroadcaster
12-27-2010, 12:01 AM
If it cant be done in the regular season it should not IMO be done in the play offs..that would just be on thing added to the coaches during an already stressful time..plus you then would make it where only stadiums with TRUE replay capabilities could be used.

Tejastrue
12-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by
If it cant be done in the regular season it should not IMO be done in the play offs..that would just be on thing added to the coaches during an already stressful time..plus you then would make it where only stadiums with TRUE replay capabilities could be used.

I respect your opinion Txbroadcaster. I'm not a fan of IR. What do you suggest?

wimbo_pro
12-27-2010, 12:10 AM
I am a big fan of IR in college/pro's...but it would never work in HS. If you cant do it during the season, it shouldnt be in the play offs.

Txbroadcaster
12-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Tejastrue
I respect your opinion Txbroadcaster. I'm not a fan of IR. What do you suggest?

I like IR..just do not think it is feasable on the HS level

Ernest T Bass
12-27-2010, 12:21 AM
What makes it feasable at the pro and NCAA level is that there are officials and coaches in the press box with replay access. They see something funny and call for a replay. Don't have that capability in high school, especially at the smaller programs.

Emerson1
12-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
What makes it feasable at the pro and NCAA level is that there are officials and coaches in the press box with replay access. They see something funny and call for a replay. Don't have that capability in high school, especially at the smaller programs.
They also have the hundreds of thousands of dollars it would cost to implement it too.

I wish people thought things through before making a post then getting all defensive over it.

Tejastrue
12-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
They also have the hundreds of thousands of dollars it would cost to implement it too.

I wish people thought things through before making a post then getting all defensive over it.

People think about it. Hell, most all of us are tax payers. We know the cost of instigating such a rule. We are just frustrated with the constant variety of ignoramus calls at the high school level. We are just biting at the bit to make some changes!! Our hands feel tied!! Surely you feel the frustration??

Emerson1
12-27-2010, 01:44 AM
No.

BLEEDZGREEN
12-29-2010, 10:57 AM
No..Bad calls are part of the game on the HS level even if it was put into place that still wouldn't eliminate the Homer calls you get @ some stadiums.;)

garciap77
12-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by BLEEDZGREEN
No..Bad calls are part of the game on the HS level even if it was put into place that still wouldn't eliminate the Homer calls you get @ some stadiums.;)

:D
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_2463-1.jpg
;)

Tejastrue
12-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
;)

LMAO!! :spitlol: :spitlol: :spitlol:

BILLYFRED0000
12-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
Before anyone starts thinking seriously about instant replay in Texas HS football there needs to be a move to officiating crews of 7 persons. Also, IR does nt guarantee there will be no mistakes. I can show you video after video wherein IR was unable to correct an error or refused to do so.

There are lots of things we can do to improve officiating, especially in the playoffs without IR

I agree with this one. It is a question of having to cover the field. You are watching 22 guys spread out over 50 square yards with 5 or 6 and boy is that tough. and the sidelines too now that I think about it.

TexMike
12-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Everytime we work a game involving a spread offense, which is more and more these days, there will ineveitably be a coach griping about a receiver being held early in his route. I tell them we are trying to look at all the receivers AND the QB AND the RB(s) and must have missed it. When they are rationale I try to explain to them how we cover the field and how we would cover it if we had the 2 extra guys. Most of them could care less.

I realize there are places where they can barely get 4 guys to work 1A and 2A games but in the major metro areas we can put 7 man crews on many of the 3A - 5A fields routinely. Not all the schools want them and frankly, not all need them. But if we could get some 7 man crews out in the regular season, then we would be much better prepared to go full speed with them in the playoffs.

Tejastrue
12-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Everytime we work a game involving a spread offense, which is more and more these days, there will ineveitably be a coach griping about a receiver being held early in his route. I tell them we are trying to look at all the receivers AND the QB AND the RB(s) and must have missed it. When they are rationale I try to explain to them how we cover the field and how we would cover it if we had the 2 extra guys. Most of them could care less.

I realize there are places where they can barely get 4 guys to work 1A and 2A games but in the major metro areas we can put 7 man crews on many of the 3A - 5A fields routinely. Not all the schools want them and frankly, not all need them. But if we could get some 7 man crews out in the regular season, then we would be much better prepared to go full speed with them in the playoffs.

So you are a ref. That explains the passion about it and the earlier posts. Has it really become more and more difficult to staff enough quality people/refs for these games? I can understand the possible need for the extra personnel, my concern would be that way too many flags will fly and drag out the games much too long. Your thoughts?

TexMike
12-29-2010, 05:34 PM
That is the same worry we hear from coaches...more officials mean more flags. I don't think the issue is how many flags there are but are they quality flags. There may be some more flags at first as defenses realize they no longer have the freedom to mug receivers. That should level out over time. But a great benefit of having 7 guys is that it often gives us 2 - 3sets of eyes looking at the same act and sometimes this mean a flag gets waved off as other guys looking at the same thing can offer a better perspective.

There are real staffing issues in some parts of the state at all levels. And even in the areas where varsity is easily covered, subvarsity staffing is still a struggle. We lose guys in those areas because they see it will take them 3 - 5 years before they ever step on a varsity field, even a 1A field. If we could use 7 man crews, we would be able to move these guys up quicker and get them to retain interest.

BEAST
12-29-2010, 05:41 PM
That is the same worry we hear from coaches...more officials mean more flags. I don't think the issue is how many flags there are but are they quality flags. There may be some more flags at first as defenses realize they no longer have the freedom to mug receivers. That should level out over time. But a great benefit of having 7 guys is that it often gives us 2 - 3sets of eyes looking at the same act and sometimes this mean a flag gets waved off as other guys looking at the same thing can offer a better perspective.

There are real staffing issues in some parts of the state at all levels. And even in the areas where varsity is easily covered, subvarsity staffing is still a struggle. We lose guys in those areas because they see it will take them 3 - 5 years before they ever step on a varsity field, even a 1A field. If we could use 7 man crews, we would be able to move these guys up quicker and get them to retain interest.

Whats is stopping 7 man crews? Lack of officials, money, etc?

BEAST

BLEEDZGREEN
12-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
;)
:clap: :clap: LMAO!!

Tejastrue
12-29-2010, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the insight TexMike. Just a few more questions. Who has absolute jurisdiction over the decisions made here. What can the average concerned fan do if anything to help implement a plan or is this strictly UIL controlled?

TexMike
12-29-2010, 11:33 PM
It is totally up to the coaches. UIL, for now, does not mandate the crew size. All a fan could do is try to influence coaches at their schools