PDA

View Full Version : Terrelle Pryor Suspended...

Yoe_09
12-23-2010, 12:12 PM
For the 1st 5 games of next season. The 5(total suspended) will get to play in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 4 according to the AP. Suspension (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5giu6wzBN1YRFG3jgwWT8kNlchjug?docId=8cc9d676f 9c0413383ad5340fc932cf3)

BaseballUmp
12-23-2010, 12:21 PM
He will go pro anyways

Txbroadcaster
12-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
He will go pro anyways

unless labor situation is fixed before the declare date, I dont see alot of underclassmen going pro

rholl
12-23-2010, 12:28 PM
yet Cam Newton is still playing?????

BaseballUmp
12-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Smith said Ohio State was not "explicit" in instructing players about the sale of apparel, awards and gifts.

Really? It's not that hard to understand...

Maroon87
12-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Why do they get to play in the bowl game? That makes no sense...but then again this is the NCAA we're talking about.

GrTigers6
12-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Why do they get to play in the bowl game? That makes no sense...but then again this is the NCAA we're talking about. Helps sell tickets!

Yoe_09
12-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Why do they get to play in the bowl game? That makes no sense...but then again this is the NCAA we're talking about.

Yeah. Makes no sense IMO. You did what you did...the suspension needs to start now.

crzyjournalist03
12-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
unless labor situation is fixed before the declare date, I dont see alot of underclassmen going pro

Well, there will be a draft regardless of the labor situation since the draft ends the current CBA, and considering that there won't be a rookie salary cap in this draft and most likely will be in the next one, I think we probably will see talented underclassmen leaving.

Txbroadcaster
12-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Well, there will be a draft regardless of the labor situation since the draft ends the current CBA, and considering that there won't be a rookie salary cap in this draft and most likely will be in the next one, I think we probably will see talented underclassmen leaving.

Yes there will be a draft..but if CBA issue is not resolved those drafted wont know when they will get paid

Emerson1
12-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Did they sell to agents? If they pawned them off I don't see the harm.

crzyjournalist03
12-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Yes there will be a draft..but if CBA issue is not resolved those drafted wont know when they will get paid

But if the draft is part of this year's CBA, they won't have a cap right, or could they institute a cap retroactively to a draft that's already taken place?

Let's play out the apocalyptic scenario that there ends up being NO NFL at all next year, then the underclassmen who declare early lose about 20% of what would have been their five-year contract, but most likely play a year in the AFL or UFL to keep themselves occupied.

Don't you think that the new salary structure will reduce rookie salaries by more than 20%? If so, it would still make more financial sense for an underclassman to come out now than to wait.

LH Panther Mom
12-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Mitigating circumstances? Really??? :rolleyes: :doh: :doh:

Txbroadcaster
12-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
But if the draft is part of this year's CBA, they won't have a cap right, or could they institute a cap retroactively to a draft that's already taken place?

Let's play out the apocalyptic scenario that there ends up being NO NFL at all next year, then the underclassmen who declare early lose about 20% of what would have been their five-year contract, but most likely play a year in the AFL or UFL to keep themselves occupied.

Don't you think that the new salary structure will reduce rookie salaries by more than 20%? If so, it would still make more financial sense for an underclassman to come out now than to wait.

If the agents can sell them on this way of thinking then yes..but a kid who has nothing except his college scholarship IMO is not going to take a leap to something where he might not get paid for a year. They wont see this

Also I am not sure the draft is under this year's CBA since the lock out is planned before the draft. The Owners then can basically decide how they want to structure it and the fact rookies get paid so much so quick is actually something the Owners and the NFLPA agree on so I dont think we will see alot of support for draft picks

RoyceTTU
12-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
Yeah. Makes no sense IMO. You did what you did...the suspension needs to start now.

From what I heard, OSU self-sanctioned the players and was going to make them miss the Bowl. NCAA came back and is allowing them to play in the bowl and added 1 more game of suspension to the regular season.

Other than the couple of thousand for the jersey, the only problem was tattoos that were given to the players.

LH Panther Mom
12-23-2010, 01:26 PM
A question: who are they playing in what bowl game? I need to jump on that bandwagon now! :D

RoyceTTU
12-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
A question: who are they playing in what bowl game? I need to jump on that bandwagon now! :D

Arkansas in the Suger Bowl.

LH Panther Mom
12-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Arkansas in the Suger Bowl.
Okay then! Soooooeeeeee it is! :cheerl:

BaseballUmp
12-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Pryor sold his Big 10 Championship ring, some fiesta bowl awards and another OSU award and has to pay back 2500...said he sold it to help his parents out...

Yoe_09
12-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Pryor sold his Big 10 Championship ring, some fiesta bowl awards and another OSU award and has to pay back 2500...said he sold it to help his parents out...

Mmm...roll tide.

LoboesWT
12-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
For the 1st 5 games of next season. The 5(total suspended) will get to play in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 4 according to the AP. Suspension (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5giu6wzBN1YRFG3jgwWT8kNlchjug?docId=8cc9d676f 9c0413383ad5340fc932cf3)

Once again the NCAA and there inconsistent punishment. If this was a lower tier team or non-BCS they would have forfeited their Bowl game appearance. The NCAA is a joke. A big money joke.

Phil C
12-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
Once again the NCAA and there inconsistent punishment. If this was a lower tier team or non-BCS they would have forfeited their Bowl game appearance. The NCAA is a joke. A big money joke.

I agree LoboesWT. It isn't hard to imagine what they would have done to A&M, SMU or TCU.

Maroon87
12-23-2010, 02:58 PM
It's ironic that they are playing Arkansas, because a similar situation happened to the Hogs prior to the '78 Orange Bowl vs. OU, except those players had to miss the bowl game.

Arkansas won anyway, 31-6.

defense51
12-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Why do they get to play in the bowl game? That makes no sense...but then again this is the NCAA we're talking about. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:evillol:

sTxforlife
12-23-2010, 08:20 PM
This is so stupid. Its not gonna hurt Pryor anyways because imo he will go pro anyways, the suspensions should have started with the bowl game, this way Pryor is basically just getting a slap on the hand lol

DDBooger
12-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Dez Bryant was irked about this...

http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blogs/josh_ellis.cfm?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a8ad9a5ae-68fd-47d1-a7d7-e4c8fcb84090Post%3a273f8a32-efd3-41ab-a854-bd01ed1cd45a&sid=sitelife.truebluefanclub.com&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook
Five members of the Ohio State Buckeyes football team, including star quarterback Terrell Prior, were suspended five games by the NCAA on Thursday for accepting improper benefits.

Their suspensions will not go into effect until 2011, however, meaning all are free to play in the Sugar Bowl against Arkansas next month. It is the short suspensions, by comparison, and the fact they are being allowed to finish the season that bothered Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant on Thursday.

Bryant, currently on injured reserve and rehabbing a fractured ankle, was suspended for the final nine games of the 2009 season at Oklahoma State for initially lying to NCAA investigators about dining with former Cowboys and NFL cornerback Deion Sanders. Bryant expressed his displeasure with the collegiate governing body's rulings on his personal Twitter page.

"I guess I should have got into a lot of trouble in college...maybe I would have gotten less punishment? lol," he tweeted.

"I lied and then came back and told the truth....I didn't take no money, was not communicating with no agents at all.. NCAA is crazy"

Bryant doesn't seem too upset with the way everything has worked out for him, however.

"At the end of the day I was happy as hell... Because it's a privilege to wear that star on your helmet"

eagles_victory
12-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Pryor sold his Big 10 Championship ring, some fiesta bowl awards and another OSU award and has to pay back 2500...said he sold it to help his parents out... It's his why shouldn't he be able to sell it if he wants to?

Rabid Cougar
12-24-2010, 11:18 AM

I call BS to that.
They sit for hours in compliance meetings going over this stuff. You would have to be a blithering idiot, or don't give a rats ass, not to understand what they are telling you.

Pendragon13
12-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Did they sell to agents? If they pawned them off I don't see the harm. Current players selling championship rings, jerseys and bowl awards is disrespectful to the school, conference and the bowl hosts. But then again, I personally feel that scholarship athletes should recieve a monthly living allowance since they don't have time for even part-time jobs during the season of their sport.

Rabid Cougar
12-24-2010, 03:05 PM
They get a stipend every weekend of the season. They can have jobs out of season.

poisoned10
12-24-2010, 05:08 PM
TP posted on his Twitter that he payed for ALL of his tats. The next day he was suspended for trading his autograph for some new tats.

shamu85
12-24-2010, 05:57 PM
NCAA: You may not sell anything related to your stardom while at college because we and the universities own the rights to everything about you, and must take full advantage of our opportunity to make as much money as possible from said stardom.

This is why I love high school football. However, someone on the 5A board brought up the idea that the UIL might be setting in motion a PPV scenario with the SC games in one location. That would suck.

Dogman_1969
12-25-2010, 10:09 AM
I think they should have been suspended for the bowl game as well. They will just go pro and not ever face any punishment at all. OSU should do what is right and not let them play.....

NastySlot
12-25-2010, 01:56 PM
It's ironic that they are playing Arkansas, because a similar situation happened to the Hogs prior to the '78 Orange Bowl vs. OU, except those players had to miss the bowl game.

Arkansas won anyway, 31-6.

no that was not a simular situation....those suspensions were due to alleged crime ......(against a woman).

old man
12-25-2010, 08:23 PM
If this had been anyone other than Pryor, they would miss the bowl game as well.

LoboesWT
01-03-2011, 06:17 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=Ann3MTvDtmGQcAOhDe2y9Qo5nYcB?slug=dw-pryor010311

Thought this was interesting as to how inconsistent with punishment and money driven the NCAA has become.