PDA

View Full Version : WEST TX TEAMS WILL UPSET EAST TX IN PLAYOFFS

Gfan
11-05-2001, 07:51 PM
Look for some powerhouses to come in the playoffs with some power behind them.

midland greenwood
lamesa
denver city
crane

Jacket2000
11-05-2001, 09:35 PM
For that to happen, Lamesa would most likely have to beat Everman of Forney. The other 3 teams will probably have to go through Commerce or Atlanta. I dont see any of those happening this year.
J2K

jykoy
11-05-2001, 09:37 PM
Anyone remember the big 1960 state game of Bellville/denver city? My dad played in that game and I have watched film of it. That was a classic....

left2soon
11-05-2001, 09:39 PM
wishful thinking...not gonna happen. region 2 is stronger than ever.

left2soon
11-05-2001, 09:41 PM
not quite that old..but i remember UT. dad is something to be proud of. the dallas morning news ran a great article on your family a couple of years ago. you should wear the name proudly.

abicooper
11-05-2001, 10:25 PM
I know Midland Greenwood, might be a good team, however look for Ballinger or Sweetwater to represent Region 1 this year. If Wylie can get past Vernon which I think they can (should be a great game) Wylie then will look for a rematch h against Everman in the semis.

From what other posters have stated on the board, it appears Everman is a very well balance team which should make for a great rematch this year with Wylie. Both teams must first take care of business this
week then the following three before they can start thinking about each other. Hopefully Wylie will have the same results as last year, with one exception WIN it all.

rsjmann
11-05-2001, 10:44 PM
GFAN, i must agree with you. I know Lamesa fell apart last week but I think that is just what they needed. Last time they lost, against Sweetwater, they reeled off 5 straight. Last year after their only loss during the season they reeld off 10 straight. I will disagree with the post about Wylie. They will have to get past Alvarado befor they play Lamesa. I do think whoever wins the Wylie/ Lamesa game , if it happens, will make it to the state chmpionship game. Goog luck GFAN, I think ya'll will pull it off especially if you pass. They have no pass defense. Greenwood 35, Denver City 14.

Matthew328
11-06-2001, 09:40 AM
Ok first one of the teams he mentioned in that post won't even make the playoffs...Greenwood has a chance to make noise in D2 in Region 1 but Lake Worth, Sweetwater, Graham, Ballinger and Muleshoe are all tough..Lamesa is D1 and their road is even tougher..they will likely make it to the Regional Final but then they will play either Wylie, Vernon, Alvarado or Aledo..other than Aledo I don't think Lamesa can beat those teams..then if they do win that then they get a team from region 2..Forney, Everman or Lindale..I think the road will end there for sure if not sooner

alanclay37
11-06-2001, 12:13 PM
I dont think that any West Texas teams can hang with East or Central power houses. Wylie which is one of the best 3A teams out west had a hard time beating Llano. WImberley stomped them 42-13.

vet93
11-06-2001, 01:45 PM
Mr. Clay...be very careful about comparing scores of common opponents. I learned this hard lesson back in my playing days. By the way, Ballinger defeated Llano 39-14 at THEIR house, not at home like Wimberley. Does this mean Ballinger will defeat Wylie...Maybe, Maybe not. There are too many variables to predict with certainty how well a team will do in a game like this or in the playoffs.

Husker98
11-06-2001, 01:52 PM
Which West Texas teams will give Newton or Rice a good game in D2? Does anybody know?

TRY ME - I'LL MAKE YOU FAMOUS

[This message has been edited by Husker98 (edited November 06, 2001).]

abicooper
11-06-2001, 01:59 PM
Alanclay37- The Wylie / Llano game was in week 5, it is now week 10. I know for a fact that that was a bad game for Wylie and they were still trying to get all of their positions set. Wylie played about 40 different players to see what group played best together. As a Wylie fan, we see this every year with their pre-district games. Coach Sandifer gives everyone a chance and then will generally set his offense and defense when district starts. I believe Wylie is not only one the best teams in Region 1, they are one of the best in the state. They do not always have the great athletes like some of the other teams, however the coaching staff always gets 110% out of each player and they play great as a team.

Best of luck to Wylie and Wimberley when the playoffs start next week.

Matthew328
11-06-2001, 02:33 PM
To be honest I think there is only one team in West Texas that can compete for state tittle and that is Wylie..if Greenwood or any other West Texas team makes it outta D2, they will be fodder for the region 2 team..I think the D2 team from R2 will have their way with the R1 team..

bigdawg
11-06-2001, 03:23 PM
I think Ballinger will make it pretty far in D2. They have a solid team. Sweetwater should also do pretty good in D2. I would pick either of these teams to beat a Region 2 team.

vet93
11-06-2001, 03:48 PM
Matthew, traditionally R1 teams in 3A have not faired too well against R2 teams. So I think that your point is well taken concerning the semifinals matchups. I will say one thing in defense of the west teams, at least in 5-3a, and that is that the level of competition seems to be great. If you can survive this type of competition without getting too banged up, it will payoff in the playoffs when you play other teams with good talent. I think that this has been one distinct advantage other than the speed issue that the east texas teams have always had. They have had much more depth of talent and the experience gained from playing other talented teams always pays off in the playoffs. I have seen good west texas teams take a whole half to get used to playing someone with equal talent just because they weren't used to it. Please don't misconstrue this as an excuse or trying to say that West Texas is better. I am just saying that the talent in West Texas is generally a little thin and that it has hurt quality R1 teams in the past when they have played the talented and well tested teams from the east. I think that one way that Wylie has combated this issue has been scheduling alot of 4A teams in order to upgrade their schedule and play teams that will more resemble teams that they will face in the playoffs. Enough of my rambling...your thoughts?

Gfan
11-06-2001, 04:12 PM
SHOULD BE A GREAT YEAR FOR WEST TEXAS TEAMS THIS YEAR IN THE PLAYOFFS...

WISH EVERY 3A TEAM THE BEST IN THE WEST

Matthew328
11-06-2001, 11:31 PM
I totally agree with you vet....I think Wylie has done the right thing by scheduling 4A teams..that may simulate a good East Texas 3A...

kaorder1999
11-07-2001, 12:59 AM
West texas football just isnt the same as East Texas football...I'll put my money on an East Texas team 9 times out of 10

rsjmann
11-07-2001, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328:
Ok first one of the teams he mentioned in that post won't even make the playoffs
Matthew328, all three teams are going to make the playoffs because Crane is not in District 3-3A as is the other three are. They may have a tough trip ahead but they will at least be there and might sneak up on someone who takes them lightly because they are from West Texas. Which everybody knows is "God's Country."

Atl_Rabb_Fan
11-07-2001, 09:59 AM
West Tx does have some very good teams this year and if they are to beat the East Tx teams then this is there year to do it.But I dont see it happeneing east Tx is has more talented teams then they have had in a while.Its not just a few playing good it is a lot of teams.But either way it is gonna be one of the best playoff years i a long time.
Good luck to all Exspeacialy The Beast From The East Teams

Matthew328
11-07-2001, 10:12 AM
My bad I thought Crane was in Lamesa's district..got em confused with Brownfield!

torfan
11-08-2001, 03:05 PM
Here is what I see

Lamesa vs Wylie in the Region 1 D1 championship. This should be a great rematch of the lopsided loss that the tors took on the chin last year.

bigdawg
11-08-2001, 03:27 PM
I don't think Lamesa has as good of a team as they did last year. They may get that far, and they may play be dang hungry to get revenge on Wylie, but they I don't think they have the team to beat Wylie this year.

Gfan
11-08-2001, 03:33 PM
I would have said yes to lamesa making it that far after they beat my greenwood rangers, but then get beat by denver city..i still think lamesa has a good football team and should make a run in the playoffs ,but beating wylie this year is alittle crazy..

GOOD LUCK TO ALL WEST TEXAS TEAMS THIS WEEK

torfan
11-08-2001, 03:35 PM
Who would have thought that Wylie had the team to beat Lamesa last year????

Matthew328
11-08-2001, 03:41 PM
I figured Wylie would beat Lamesa last year..the Tors were overrated big time..I think if they meet up again this year it'll be closer but I'll stick take my chances with Wylie

Gfan
11-08-2001, 03:50 PM
They came in the season ranked 2nd in the state and never understood that.. dont get me wrong lamesa is good but not that good

torfan
11-08-2001, 04:20 PM
Not that good huh...overrated?...they had nearly every returning starter from a state semi-finalist team the year before....5 players make the all state team last year....I dont that you can hardly call that overrated!

Hell I remember when we played greenwood last year...our starting quartback was out and the backup ran allover the rangers....something like 4 td's.

bigdawg
11-08-2001, 10:18 PM
WOW!! Nearly every returning starter. Wylie didn't return half of the players on offense or defense. Only one player was all-state last year, and that was like 2nd or 3rd team. Wylie wasn't even ranked in the top 10 until later in the season. I definitely think they were overrated if they couldn't beat a team with hardly any returning starters. Wylie wore yall out last year. Either yalls ALL-STATE players were hurt in the game, or they themselves were overrated, because they couldn't do jack crap against us.

Matthew328
11-08-2001, 11:24 PM
I think for the first time ever I gotta agree with BIGDAWG...Lamesa never should have been rated do highly last year...they were a pretty good team but they weren't a top 10 team by any means..they weren't the only Region 1 team that was overrated because I thought Aledo was also overrated big time

Jacket2000
11-08-2001, 11:36 PM
Aledo? Overrated? Gee, how did you ever figure that?

torfan
11-09-2001, 07:14 AM
Think what you will....I don't see it the same way....I hope that you think Lamesa isn't overrated this year....I know that we have a long road ahead of us....but I really think that a rematch with Wylie is imminent . I just hope that the outcome is different.

rsjmann
11-09-2001, 01:56 PM
I encourage them to think Lamesa is underrated. Lamesa took Denver City for granted and that may help Lamesa in the playoffs. Everybody will think they are not as good as they should be. I do think Wylie has a very good team but that's why they play on Friday Night. Lamesa beat Littlfield something like 63-14 in the season last year but barely pulled out a win in the playoffs against the same team. You just never know, these are 15, 16 , 17, and 18 kids who might of had a bad week with school, friends, or girlfriends.

And as for next year: JV and 9th grade are the cream of the crop in replacing Varsity players which won't be many. Offenseive line will have all five returners for a sophomore and junior running backs. Backup QB is a starter on defense and got some plays in this year. He can throw the ball very accurate and very long. I believe 8 starters from offense will return and 8 from defense.

Good luck to everybody in the playoffs, gotta go watch the Seminole Indians get spanked.

torfan
11-09-2001, 02:24 PM
yes...but we are loosing a lot at the skill positions.....QB, RB, WR, DE, 2 LB, DB...etc.

Super Joe
11-09-2001, 02:24 PM
I would have to say Everman would beat Wylie. But, thats only if they get to the semi's. They must beat Vernon. Then ALvarado, who i think should beat Aledo, first. So, dont count on a semi-final rematch just yet. Everman is the team to beat. They seem to have what it takes to make it all the way this year.

Endword
11-09-2001, 03:26 PM
rsjmann:
Your comment about 16, 17, 18, yr olds reminded me of a comment a coach friend of mine made: "Coaches got to be some of the dumbest people in the world. Who else would base their living on how the 'hormones are running' in a teenager on any given Friday night!" Pretty good question when you think about it.

SuperJoe: (Everman vs Wylie)
That is what everyone said last year!! That being said, I hope we have the opportunity to take a run at Everman again this year. I think that would be a great game. See you there. GO DAWGS!