PDA

View Full Version : UConn Women Break UCLA Record

Bullaholic
12-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Quite an achievement for any team- men or women:

UConn Women Break Consecutive Win Record (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/21/uconn-women-get-division-i-record-89th-straight-win/?hpt=T1)

Emerson1
12-21-2010, 10:09 PM
They couldn't beat Oak Hill Academy.

Yoe_09
12-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

UConn Women Break Consecutive Win Record (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/21/uconn-women-get-division-i-record-89th-straight-win/?hpt=T1)

Indeed it is. Congrats :clap:

bigwood33
12-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Did not beat UCLA's streak. UCLA's is men's and UCONN's is women's. You cannot compare men's and women's sports. 1st of all, they couldn't beat Dallas Madison, 2nd of all, it isn't even the women's record. The Wayland Baptist team of the 1950's won something like 151 in a row. No doubt they are very good, for their division but give me a break. Even their coach has tried to distance from the UCLA comparison. This is just one more reason to be disgusted with ESPN.

jason
12-21-2010, 11:27 PM
yawn...

Tejastrue
12-22-2010, 12:21 AM

Why can't we keep things in Texas? :thinking:

Farmersfan
12-22-2010, 09:31 AM
I was thinking a lot of negative things about ESPN's constant harping on this accomplishment and how they are trying to equate it to the UCLA accomplishment. Although I do agree it is a great accomplishment for Women's sports it is hardly that significant in the overall sports community! Am I wrong or is the level of competition for UCONN womens basketball about a 10th of what UCLA had to deal with on a weekly basis? It seems to me that there are perhaps 4 or 5 teams at the most in womens basketball that ever has a chance at competing at a championship level. In men's basketball there are 100 teams that could play at a championship level on any given night! I really hope I'm not being sexist here but I don't think this is near the same thing! Am I wrong?

Or am I really just a sexist pig at heart???? :( :(

Merry Christmas to everyone! (ecspecially all the women on the board)!!!!

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Lets not pretend that UCLA was slaying top 5 teams week in and week out..the Pac 8 at that time was TERRIBLE in basketball...it was comparable to the talent difference the UCONN women have agianst other women's team

rholl
12-22-2010, 10:05 AM
ESPN ramming chickball down our throats.
I would like to see average attendance figures for all D1 womens basketball teams if its so popular.

Bullaholic
12-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Lets not pretend that UCLA was slaying top 5 teams week in and week out..the Pac 8 at that time was TERRIBLE in basketball...it was comparable to the talent difference the UCONN women have agianst other women's team

There is the little matter of the NCAA each season, TXB....:D

DDBooger
12-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by rholl
ESPN ramming chickball down our throats.
I would like to see average attendance figures for all D1 womens basketball teams if its so popular. Who's talking about the popularity of the sport? They're talking about the achievement.

Bullaholic
12-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Who's talking about the popularity of the sport? They're talking about the achievement.

Sic this bunch of misoginists, Boog....:D Just wait til' the lady posters get a hold of em'....:D

Farmersfan
12-22-2010, 10:13 AM

Well perhaps I am sexist at heart then! :( :(

It just seems to me this UCONN acheivement is kind of like being the smartest person on the short bus! Great for you! But not so much for the rest of the world!!! Know what i mean?

Farmersfan
12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Sic this bunch of misoginists, Boog....:D Just wait til' the lady posters get a hold of em'....:D

DISTURBER OF THE PEACE!!!!!! :D

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Well perhaps I am sexist at heart then! :( :(

It just seems to me this UCONN acheivement is kind of like being the smartest person on the short bus! Great for you! But not so much for the rest of the world!!! Know what i mean?

yea I can understand that..but it is not like it is a guys team playing in a women's league..it is women dominating other women teams

DDBooger
12-22-2010, 10:19 AM
yea I can understand that..but it is not like it is a guys team playing in a women's league..it is women dominating other women teams Precisely, contextually, it is an achievement. To go that many games with no let down is pretty damn tough. It's something I believe only a coach could understand the difficulty of doing. In any sport, regardless of gender.

Farmersfan
12-22-2010, 10:29 AM
yea I can understand that..but it is not like it is a guys team playing in a women's league..it is women dominating other women teams

Not only are there half as many competitive womens teams to disseminate the LIMITED female basketball talent in this country but there really isn't much female basketball talent in this country!!!!! I agree it's a great accomplishment for WOMEN'S sports! but is it a great accomplishment for SPORTS in general? I don't see it!
Of course I still can't believe we ever let them out of the kitchen in the first place.........:D :D

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Not only are there half as many competitive womens teams to disseminate the LIMITED female basketball talent in this country but there really isn't much female basketball talent in this country!!!!! I agree it's a great accomplishment for WOMEN'S sports! but is it a great accomplishment for SPORTS in general? I don't see it!
Of course I still can't believe we ever let them out of the kitchen in the first place.........:D :D

and I will say back when UCLA was dominating the talent lvel across the country was no where close to what UCLA had.

And yea there is a ton of talent in this country in female basketball, they have won the last three golds in the Olympics and are defending World Champs.

Ranger Mom
12-22-2010, 10:43 AM

Or am I really just a sexist pig at heart???? :( :(

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm not gonna say a word!!!:p :p :kiss:

Bullaholic
12-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I'll take that bet.....:D :inlove:

Farmersfan
12-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

And yet you said plenty!!!!! You are about as subtle as a runaway train Mom!! :D

Merry Christmas!

Ranger Mom
12-22-2010, 11:09 AM
And yet you said plenty!!!!! You are about as subtle as a runaway train Mom!! :D

Merry Christmas!

Lol!! I'm sorry, I just couldn't pass up that opportunity!!:D

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!:)

Emerson1
12-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Did not beat UCLA's streak. UCLA's is men's and UCONN's is women's. You cannot compare men's and women's sports. 1st of all, they couldn't beat Dallas Madison, 2nd of all, it isn't even the women's record. The Wayland Baptist team of the 1950's won something like 151 in a row. No doubt they are very good, for their division but give me a break. Even their coach has tried to distance from the UCLA comparison. This is just one more reason to be disgusted with ESPN.
http://www.wbuathletics.com/article/727.php

--

Here is a good article about the UConn streak - http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14471824/uconn-streak-is-telling-and-not-in-a-good-way

"UConn has 11 players on its roster.

Eight were McDonald's All-Americans.

Eight."

LH_Tuff
12-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
It's something I believe only a coach could understand the difficulty of doing.

ETB?

t-bag31
12-22-2010, 01:09 PM
THEY SHOULD NOT BE COMPARED TO UCLA. WOMENS AND MENS BBALL BIG DIFFERENCE

turbostud
12-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Womens basketball would be way more interesting if they wore bikini's.

Corn Cob
12-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Forget the streak, I wonder if they can cook and clean? :) jk

t-bag31
12-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Womens basketball would be way more interesting if they wore bikini's.

i agree :clap:

Rabid Cougar
12-22-2010, 02:06 PM
They will win until they play Baylor again... then it will be over.

defense51
12-22-2010, 02:45 PM
They play on the same size court, points are the same...to achieve this by any team is a huge accomplishment. Can you compare the winningest b-ball coach in women's (Leta Andrews) and men's (Robert Hughes) history? Or is that comparing apples to oranges too?

bigwood33
12-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
http://www.wbuathletics.com/article/727.php

--

Here is a good article about the UConn streak - http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14471824/uconn-streak-is-telling-and-not-in-a-good-way

"UConn has 11 players on its roster.

Eight were McDonald's All-Americans.

Eight."
And yet they would not win the boys 3A state championship...maybe not 2A.
Again, it is a record for NCAA Womens basketball. It has NOTHING to do with the mens record.