PDA

View Full Version : TCU No. 1 in Baseball Pre-season Poll

Bullaholic
12-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Way to go Horny Toads....

TCU No. 1 Baseball (http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12/20/2718939/horned-frogs-top-college-baseball.html)

91 lion
12-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

TCU No. 1 Baseball (http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12/20/2718939/horned-frogs-top-college-baseball.html)

......And why is it again, that the Big 12 let this school get away???

I would have jumped at the opportunity of adding them once Nebraska/Colorado left.....no matter how much Baylor would have belly-ached!!!!

sahen
12-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Baylor had 0 to do with the Big 12 not inviting TCU when Colorado/Nebraska left...we have no control over what the conference does you can blame their exclusion this time on the powers in the conference like UT, A&M, and OU...

i hope TCU does better starting the year at number 1 than when Baylor did a few years back after their college world series run...baseball polls seem to be a crap shoot, esp preseason ones...

Yoe_09
12-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Top 40 (http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/12/21/2704974/four-sc-teams-in-preseason-top.html)

You also have:
6. Oklahoma
7. Texas
8. Texas A&M

hollywood
12-21-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm ready for some college baseball! Let the bowl game season begin and then some sand lot collegiate style!

Hope to make it to Omaha this year. Missed the last year at Blatt last year!:(

91 lion
12-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Baylor had 0 to do with the Big 12 not inviting TCU when Colorado/Nebraska left...we have no control over what the conference does you can blame their exclusion this time on the powers in the conference like UT, A&M, and OU...

i hope TCU does better starting the year at number 1 than when Baylor did a few years back after their college world series run...baseball polls seem to be a crap shoot, esp preseason ones...

Not sure about the big 12 now, but when the Big 12 was formed, I hear that Baylor lobbied to keep TCU out. No dog in the fight here.

Txbroadcaster
12-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by 91 lion

I would have jumped at the opportunity of adding them once Nebraska/Colorado left.....no matter how much Baylor would have belly-ached!!!!

because for the conference taking TCU would have given the conference nothing new as far as media market and that is why ANY conference expands now, to broaden their market and exposure

sahen
12-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Not sure about the big 12 now, but when the Big 12 was formed, I hear that Baylor lobbied to keep TCU out. No dog in the fight here.

we were too busy making sure we got in the big 12 to lobby to keep tcu out...all we did was point out why we should get in over tcu, which at the time was a legit argument...

sahen
12-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
because for the conference taking TCU would have given the conference nothing new as far as media market and that is why ANY conference expands now, to broaden their market and exposure

amen its all about tv markets

BEAST
12-21-2010, 05:01 PM
amen its all about tv markets

No dog in this fight but how is Baylors TV market any bigger or better than TCUs?

BEAST

RoyceTTU
12-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
No dog in this fight but how is Baylors TV market any bigger or better than TCUs?

BEAST

The problem is they have the same TV Market so the confrence would have nothing to gain.

91 lion
12-21-2010, 05:08 PM

Very true...but you would think that adding a school that competes so well in football and baseball would add to the allure. I do get what you're saying, though, but the conference would be stronger....and having a big 12 school in the DFW area, definitely couldn't hurt.

MoveInDad
12-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Would have loved to see the TCU in the Big 9 or whatever it would have been called, however I get why they did the Big East thing, though it still seems weird when you consider all the traveling the baseball and basketball teams will have to do.
The additional exposure for TCU is going to be phenomenal, especially from a recruiting standpoint...

NastySlot
12-21-2010, 05:28 PM

going go out on a limb and say if they would of joined or been invited to join the big xii in the beginning they wouldn't be as successful as they are now.......adding them now doesn't do much for the conference in the money making dept.

tcu has done a great job on their own and doesn't need the big xii.

MoveInDad
12-21-2010, 05:36 PM
....and having a big 12 school in the DFW area, definitely couldn't hurt.
I was thinking the same thing, lot of neutrals in DFW have gotten behind the Frogs the last couple of years (no offense to SMU)... and with a LOT of good athletes coming out of the area, you'd think the Big 12 would have seen the wisdom of having a conf school that competes at TCU's level, in a metroplex area of over 6 million.

neck_06
12-21-2010, 08:24 PM

I would have jumped at the opportunity of adding them once Nebraska/Colorado left.....no matter how much Baylor would have belly-ached!!!! Because all they bring to the table is football and baseball....there are many other sports as well the women's side. :doh:

sahen
12-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
I was thinking the same thing, lot of neutrals in DFW have gotten behind the Frogs the last couple of years (no offense to SMU)... and with a LOT of good athletes coming out of the area, you'd think the Big 12 would have seen the wisdom of having a conf school that competes at TCU's level, in a metroplex area of over 6 million.

it is not that TCU wouldnt be a good add to any conference athletically, esp when considering football and baseball plus access to metroplex area recruits...it is that the big 12 already has free reign over the metroplex, has the metroplex included in it's big 12 tv market footprint and adding TCU would add no extra money to the conference pot from TV people....if TCU could make the Big 12 more money then they'd have been invited in...conference alignments now have nothing to do with regional interest, recruits, or sports that you are good in (see Colorado for this they suck at everything now but cross country and snow skiing yet were invited to the Pac 10) it all has to do with what TV market you can bring....the Big East needed TCU because they are on the brink of losing their auto-bid for the BCS and TCU wants that auto-bid so its a good marriage since TCU can help the Big East keep that BCS money, add some exposure, and recruits in the Metroplex that the Big East currently doesn't have....all about the benjamins....

all that said TCU may have put themself in a better position than Baylor now especially if the Big 12 does indeed fold...it is hard to determine which conference is more stable between the Big 12 and the Big East but from the outside looking in the Big East appears to be on better ground even though they have a ridiculous 17 teams that are bound to split at some point....hard to imagine that being sustainable, but if it works for TCU the football playing schools will split and they will still be BCS while Baylor is hoping the Big 12 stays afloat while we desperately try to get our act together in football since it is the only sport that matters in these allignments and it is the only sport we suck at...

PHOP
12-22-2010, 11:54 AM
The frogs did lose their All-American catcher who was the emotional leader of the team. Hope they’ll get past Texas and make it back to Omaha!

t-bag31
12-22-2010, 01:14 PM
TCU Is going to be good this year. Very good team

91 lion
12-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
Because all they bring to the table is football and baseball....there are many other sports as well the women's side. :doh:

I know that there is much more than FB and BB....but football and basketball are the ONLY determinants as to Conference affiliations.

sahen
12-22-2010, 01:35 PM
I know that there is much more than FB and BB....but football and basketball are the ONLY determinants as to Conference affiliations.

dont kid yourself....basketball means nothing just ask Kansas...

91 lion
12-22-2010, 01:49 PM
dont kid yourself....basketball means nothing just ask Kansas...

The "new" Big East was primarily formed because of basketball.

sahen
12-22-2010, 02:23 PM
The "new" Big East was primarily formed because of basketball.

yah and everyone can see how well that is working out...they are having to expand to keep their BCS money and are at 17 teams...the Big East will eventually have to split and shed their basketball only members, it is only a matter of time because football tv contracts are where the money is...

im not saying it isnt right or exciting ot have good basketball...i love college basketball but it is a wayyyy distant 2nd to college football when it comes to all this re-alignment, if it was important then KU wouldnt have been scrambling to find a home for a worst case scenario of the Big 12 folding...

91 lion
12-22-2010, 02:29 PM
yah and everyone can see how well that is working out...they are having to expand to keep their BCS money and are at 17 teams...the Big East will eventually have to split and shed their basketball only members, it is only a matter of time because football tv contracts are where the money is...

im not saying it isnt right or exciting ot have good basketball...i love college basketball but it is a wayyyy distant 2nd to college football when it comes to all this re-alignment, if it was important then KU wouldnt have been scrambling to find a home for a worst case scenario of the Big 12 folding...

Yep...I completely agree with your entire assessment....B-Ball is a very distant second, but nonetheless, that is why the Big East was formed. Im sure that we will never see that again.

neck_06
12-22-2010, 06:02 PM

TCU will finish dead last in the Big East in basketball...just like they would have in the Big XII

defense51
12-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

TCU No. 1 Baseball (http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12/20/2718939/horned-frogs-top-college-baseball.html) well deserved!