PDA

View Full Version : Aledo... a little luck?

hollywood
12-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Do you think Aledo got a little luck to get to the big game? TD for Sville that was called out of bounds and would have changed the whole stragetegy of Aledo having to come from behind being down by 11 in the second half. This game could have very well had a different outcome. This TD would have put Sville up 17-6 at this point. I know this is over now and might not have even changed the fact the Aledo would have won, but goodness, if a team is going to say they won, have the dignity to say that we had some things or calls go our way. Or, we got a little lucky in this one.

If HS football is becoming as commercialized as college and professional football is, there has to be a change to get better officiating crews and/or have video replay.

This wording is from the UIL Website, concerning if it was a true catch or not!

Catch, Interception, Recovery
ARTICLE 7. a. To catch a ball means that a player:
1. Gains possession of a live ball in flight; or
2. Leaves his feet and firmly grasps a live ball in flight, the ball first
touching the ground inbounds while still in his firm grasp; or
3. Leaves his feet, firmly grasps a live ball in flight and either first
returns to the ground inbounds with any part of his body or is so held
that the dead-ball provisions of Rule 4-1-3-p apply (A.R. 2-2-7-I-V and
A.R. 7-3-6-IV).
If one foot first lands inbounds and the receiver has possession and
control of the ball, it is a catch even though a subsequent step or fall takes
the receiver out of bounds (A.R. 7-3-6-XVII).

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii18/ahycb/wittTD.jpg

Txbroadcaster
12-21-2010, 12:07 PM
I dont get the have dignity comment..I have not seen one Aledo person post...ANYTHING lol.

Gsquared
12-21-2010, 12:10 PM
You'd be hard pressed to see any state champion who did not have a couple of instances of luck. The best of the best have to have a few things go thier way in order to take the ring. Might be in the first round or the championship game but somewhere along the journey, they had to get a break or two.

hollywood
12-21-2010, 12:14 PM
lol

It wasn't toward any one fan of Aledo, more of a general statement. Luck has a LOT to do with it. A bad call here or there, especially in close games.

Txbroadcaster
12-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
lol

It wasn't toward any one fan of Aledo, more of a general statement. Luck has a LOT to do with it. A bad call here or there, especially in close games.

yes..and? I just think the whole have dignity thing makes no sense...like G said..teams that win usually have a break or two that helps them win the title.

hollywood
12-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Heck I'd be the first to admit a lucky break if I think the team I coached, played, or supported got one. It's part of it.

It just is becoming more of an issue as of late, more so than before, because of the technology with video replays on jumbo trons (or minny trons in Brownwood's stadium), internet and access to news media.

Just something to ponder.

Ernest T Bass
12-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Everyone loves to talk about how championships are won with talent, heart, work ethic, toughness, coaching, etc...but the #1 ingredient in a championship season is LUCK. There's lots of teams that have all those other things, but luck is the thing that seperates the champions from the also-rans.

ronwx5x
12-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Everyone loves to talk about how championships are won with talent, heart, work ethic, toughness, coaching, etc...but the #1 ingredient in a championship season is LUCK. There's lots of teams that have all those other things, but luck is the thing that seperates the champions from the also-rans.

I would disagree completely that the #1 ingredient is luck. Skill, coaching, preparation and discipline would all come before luck. Luck helps but the harder they work the luckier they get!

RoyceTTU
12-21-2010, 12:28 PM

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

So....Me stealing this in college as a prank came back and haunted us brownwood fans this year.

Dang.....I told Billy it was a bad omen :doh: :doh:

http://www.ufschoening.de/bilder/buddhaGold.jpg

Bullaholic
12-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Heck I'd be the first to admit a lucky break if I think the team I coached, played, or supported got one. It's part of it.

It just is becoming more of an issue as of late, more so than before, because of the technology with video replays on jumbo trons (or minny trons in Brownwood's stadium), internet and access to news media.

Just something to ponder.

hollywood, this argument can be taken all the way back to Rd1 of the playoffs every season. Some teams just draw better than others, and luck gives a much easier path to the title. Some teams are luckier than others, just as some teams are better than others. They call lucky AND good teams state champions.

Ernest T Bass
12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I would disagree completely that the #1 ingredient is luck. Skill, coaching, preparation and discipline would all come before luck. Luck helps but the harder they work the luckier they get!

Yeah, that's nice and catchy, it's something that you always tell your kids, and it looks good on a lockerroom or weightroom poster, but it's in accurate. Staying healthy, catching teams on a bad day, getting the right mix of talent and chemistry, and catching lucky breaks are what seperate the champions from the also rans. Tons of teams in Texas have all those other things. But only a handful have the luck.

ronwx5x
12-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, that's nice and catchy, it's something that you always tell your kids, and it looks good on a lockerroom or weightroom poster, but it's in accurate. Staying healthy, catching teams on a bad day, getting the right mix of talent and chemistry, and catching lucky breaks are what seperate the champions from the also rans. Tons of teams in Texas have all those other things. But only a handful have the luck.

This is a subjective argument but I believe the luckiest team in the state may win a big game once in a while, but talent will win a championship. All the other tangible and intangible assets will help but talent, coaching and preparation will win in the end.

mwrams
12-21-2010, 12:36 PM
I keep hearing the teams that work hard go far...I have seen lots of teams work hard that end up 0-10...just sayin'

slpybear the bullfan
12-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Luck is a HUGE factor in winning a championship. How many teams that looked great had an "unlucky" injury that sidelined a critical player and that was a difference in a win or loss.

It happens every year with many teams.

Call it health, or call it luck... you better have it cause if you don't it is very, very hard to win one.

I could make the same thing for strength of schedule and D1 vs D2 now, but I think health is much more important.

Ernest T Bass
12-21-2010, 12:56 PM
It doesn't look nearly as good on a weightroom poster, but "Id rather be lucky than good".

ronwx5x
12-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Much better to be both!

Rocket
12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
The best team doesn't always win. Why? LUCK. We saw that with Carthage. Lucky dogs...LOL

If the best team always won, sports would suck.

RoyceTTU
12-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
The best team doesn't always win. Why? LUCK. We saw that with Carthage. Lucky dogs...LOL

If the best team always won, sports would suck.

Welcome back buddy!!! :clap: :clap:

GR FAN
12-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Maybe the worst post I have seen on here. Anybody claiming luck cost them a game is using that as an excuse. Blood, sweat and tears, great coaching, team chemistry and others are ingredients in a championship team. No such thing as catching a team on a bad day. It is the coaches job to have the team up for every game or the team across the sidelines is causing that bad day. Call it luck, call it what you want. All the things mentioned before in the previous posts put you in the position to take advantage of opportunities that present themselves due to the work the players and coaches put in previously. No such thing as good or bad luck, a man makes his own luck.

Gsquared
12-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by GR FAN
Maybe the worst post I have seen on here. Anybody claiming luck cost them a game is using that as an excuse. Blood, sweat and tears, great coaching, team chemistry and others are ingredients in a championship team. No such thing as catching a team on a bad day. It is the coaches job to have the team up for every game or the team across the sidelines is causing that bad day. Call it luck, call it what you want. All the things mentioned before in the previous posts put you in the position to take advantage of opportunities that present themselves due to the work the players and coaches put in previously. No such thing as good or bad luck, a man makes his own luck.
How can a man make his own luck if there is no such thing as luck? Im confused. :doh:

Rocket
12-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Wow. What's your address? I'm gonna send you some Windex to clean those glasses. You aren't seeing straight.

Luck would best be defined as having the ball bounce your way, having key players healthy, having a dumbutt ref make the correct calls, or calls that go your way. These are factors that you cannot control. These are things better classified in the "meant to be" category. Don't get it twisted, to win it all you must be lucky and good.

ronwx5x
12-21-2010, 01:55 PM
to win it all you must be lucky and good.

Wow, Rocket! We agree on something.;)

garciap77
12-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Wow. What's your address? I'm gonna send you some Windex to clean those glasses. You aren't seeing straight.

Luck would best be defined as having the ball bounce your way, having key players healthy, having a dumbutt ref make the correct calls, or calls that go your way. These are factors that you cannot control. These are things better classified in the "meant to be" category. Don't get it twisted, to win it all you must be lucky and good.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/i_agree_with_you.png

I knew there was a reason we lost to you this year, but next year will be all about the LUCK!:D

;)

GR FAN
12-21-2010, 01:57 PM
You say the ball bounced their way. I say the coaching and hard work put the player in the right position to make the play that you seem to think is lucky. Are the teams that avoid injuries "lucky" or does their superior conditioning, hard work and great coaching put them in a less likely position to be injured. That is just my philosophy. Saying a team is lucky is an excuse, and a disgrace to the team on the other side.

Rocket
12-21-2010, 02:02 PM
You say the ball bounced their way. I say the coaching and hard work put the player in the right position to make the play that you seem to think is lucky. Are the teams that avoid injuries "lucky" or does their superior conditioning, hard work and great coaching put them in a less likely position to be injured. That is just my philosophy. Saying a team is lucky is an excuse, and a disgrace to the team on the other side.

You are not accurate. Humans make mistakes. Other humans throwing a little football and running at different angles make other humans make mistakes. Some mistakes are caused by other humans and some humans cause their own mistakes. Some humans get hit just right, causing them to break a bone. Some humans try to jump on a fumble another human caused but the ball squeezes out. Some humans do not interpret a judgment correctly, and make the wrong call, even though there was no error in the first place. Human error causes mayhem... And it affects the outcome of close games.

GR FAN
12-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
How can a man make his own luck if there is no such thing as luck? Im confused. :doh:

It is over your head son. Requires a little thinking on your part. Look for another website to pursue your dreams of a stand up comic

3afan
12-21-2010, 02:04 PM

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii18/ahycb/wittTD.jpg

FWIW, this pic tells us NOTHING

Rocket
12-21-2010, 02:06 PM
It is over your head son. Requires a little thinking on your part. Look for another website to pursue your dreams of a stand up comic

And you are from Glen Rose... Nuclear Energy was going to start taking it's toll eventually...

bobcat1
12-21-2010, 02:12 PM

I'm just ticked someone was luckier than me to get to start drinking today. You was going good until " No such thing as good or bad luck, a man makes his own luck."

Kinda like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziNvB-JVi9k

RoyceTTU

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

BEAST

You really think teams that play 15 games into a season are not conditioned properly? If it were week 1 or 2 I might buy that but by week 15, not so much. I would say Lance Armstrong may be one of the most perfectly conditioned athletes of our time. Did he get hurt? Yep. Broken bones dont care about how conditioned you are. On another note, I have never seen any coaching or conditioning make the refs make bad calls. You see, the coaches coach and condition the players, not the refs. So when you get a call your way in week 15, thats luck, or a good break.

BEAST

Rocket
12-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
FWIW, this pic tells us NOTHING

Ball caught, one foot down. TD

wimbo_pro
12-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Saying a team is lucky is an excuse, and a disgrace to the team on the other side.

I dont know if I would say the team needs to be "lucky", but I would say luck plays a part in winning the championships. And some bad luck (not that the team is unlucky) can cost a championship. It happens.

GR FAN
12-21-2010, 02:22 PM
I dont believe in luck. I believe that opportunities present themselves because of the work you put in. Opportunities seem to present themselves much more to teams that have the talent and coaching. With that said it hard to argue with the photo, the only thing that comes to mind is lucky and fortunate. I am a S'ville supporter. There are good and bad calls made every Friday night. The better prepared team overcomes the call, shruggs it off and lines up for the next play. A game is never decided by one play.

wimbo_pro
12-21-2010, 02:24 PM
I dont believe in luck.

I think winning the lotto has to do with luck, meaning luck does indeed exist.

BEAST
12-21-2010, 02:26 PM
I dont believe in luck. I believe that opportunities present themselves because of the work you put in. Opportunities seem to present themselves much more to teams that have the talent and coaching. With that said it hard to argue with the photo, the only thing that comes to mind is lucky and fortunate. I am a S'ville supporter. There are good and bad calls made every Friday night. The better prepared team overcomes the call, shruggs it off and lines up for the next play. A game is never decided by one play.

Oh yes, there have been many a game decided by one play, or better yet games decided by no play at all because bad calls eliminate the chance to make the one play. I am not even talking about the Brownwood/Carthage game, just football in general.

Most recent game decided by 1 play:
Pearland over Trinity. Both teams very evenly matched. 1 trick play was the difference in the game. Both have excellent staffs, both have great players. Id also be willing to bet you that both teams worked their butts off and were very well conditioned.

BEAST

Gsquared
12-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Or you could look for another website to pursue your dreams of being a foosball expert. I think you are one of those bleacher creatures that have watched to much old NFL Films material and spurts out cliches like "A man creates his own luck" and all that tuff guy stuff. Do you dress like the coaches while you sit on your fat arse every Friday night? Me thinks you might live to close to that power plant over there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gsquared
12-21-2010, 02:33 PM

GR FAN
12-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Oh yes, there have been many a game decided by one play, or better yet games decided by no play at all because bad calls eliminate the chance to make the one play. I am not even talking about the Brownwood/Carthage game, just football in general.

Most recent game decided by 1 play:
Pearland over Trinity. Both teams very evenly matched. 1 trick play was the difference in the game. Both have excellent staffs, both have great players. Id also be willing to bet you that both teams worked their butts off and were very well conditioned.

BEAST

Not questioning the work ethic of any teams involved. Everyone puts in their time and effort. One just happens to be better prepared on that day. Was that play a fluke. One team was prepared for it, the other wasnt. Did either team not have 80+ other plays that contributed to the outcome of that game.

BEAST
12-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Not questioning the work ethic of any teams involved. Everyone puts in their time and effort. One just happens to be better prepared on that day. Was that play a fluke. One team was prepared for it, the other wasnt. Did either team not have 80+ other plays that contributed to the outcome of that game.

Well, I couldnt tell you if either team ran 80+ plays. What I can tell you is both teams were as even as Ive seen. 1 play did change and win that game.

BEAST

GR FAN
12-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Or you could look for another website to pursue your dreams of being a foosball expert. I think you are one of those bleacher creatures that have watched to much old NFL Films material and spurts out cliches like "A man creates his own luck" and all that tuff guy stuff. Do you dress like the coaches while you sit on your fat arse every Friday night? Me thinks you might live to close to that power plant over there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I think" that is where you went wrong son. Dont think.

Gsquared
12-21-2010, 02:53 PM
"I think" that is where you went wrong son. Dont think.
Well, I think your in big trouble if luck has nothing to do with it son. BECAUSE, if luck has nothing to do with it, it must be genetics and after reading a few of your posts, genetics must be the reason GR hasnt gone very far. For Glen Rose's sake, please do not breed anymore.

GR FAN
12-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Well, I think your in big trouble if luck has nothing to do with it son. BECAUSE, if luck has nothing to do with it, it must be genetics and after reading a few of your posts, genetics must be the reason GR hasnt gone very far. For Glen Rose's sake, please do not breed anymore.

I am a GR fan and supporter. Dont have a kid in the football program. I was blessed with all girls. Glad to see you have jumped on board with me and agreed that luck has nothing to do with it. You brought up a good point I left out, genetics. GR made a good run a few years ago but ran into a much more talented Celina team. We have our work cut out for us over the next few years.

Gsquared
12-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I am a GR fan and supporter. Dont have a kid in the football program. I was blessed with all girls. Glad to see you have jumped on board with me and agreed that luck has nothing to do with it. You brought up a good point I left out, genetics. GR made a good run a few years ago but ran into a much more talented Celina team. We have our work cut out for us over the next few years.
Ran into a much more talented Celina team, OK :)

3afan
12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Ball caught, one foot down. TD

you cant tell for sure if the foot is on the ground or not, and you cant tell what happened the split second after the pic was snapped -- maybe the ball was dropped? all i'm saying is that pic is not "proof" of a good catch

BEAST
12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
you cant tell for sure if the foot is on the ground or not, and you cant tell what happened the split second after the pic was snapped -- maybe the ball was dropped? all i'm saying is that pic is not "proof" of a good catch

The ball was not dropped. If that pic was bigger, you can clearly see that he has the ball and that the foot was down. Ive seen the picture blown up a bit.

BEAST

Ernest T Bass
12-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Wow, this thread got funny, real quick! God bless nuclear power!
3aFan, this pass was caught. The question during the game was whether or not he was in bounds. The officials said he never had a foot in bounds, rulling it an incompletion. The picture proves that he did. Had it been ruled a TD, S'ville wins this game.
So, either Aledo paid off the officials, or there was some kinda strange, outside force that had an impact on this game. Gee, if only we had a word for such a force of nature. We should come up with a term for this. Anyone have any idears?

Gsquared
12-21-2010, 03:16 PM
3aFan, this pass was caught. The question during the game was whether or not he was in bounds. The officials said he never had a foot in bounds, rulling it an incompletion. The picture proves that he did. Had it been ruled a TD, S'ville wins this game.
So, either Aledo paid off the officials, or there was some kinda strange, outside force that had an impact on this game. Gee, if only we had a word for such a force of nature. We should come up with a term for this. Anyone have any idears?
Well, its been proved that it cannot be luck. The almighty has spoken on that issue.

GR FAN
12-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Ran into a much more talented Celina team, OK :)

Did I say talented. I meant "lucky".

Rocket
12-21-2010, 03:30 PM

LUCK

Ernest T Bass
12-21-2010, 03:40 PM
LUCK

By Jove, I think he's got it!!!

hollywood
12-21-2010, 03:52 PM

That pick wasn't the best. I've seen a couple of more from the back side of the end zone directly behind the play... TD, no question. But, the next question is what was the side judge that was on the opposite side seeing. Who knows. Luck went to Aledo for the missed call, end of story and season for Sville. It happens in games all the time.

We have become a society with so many technological advancements, why can't there be video replay in situations like this? It's going to come at one point or another down the road. The UIL is becoming very successful with the number of teams that now participate in the playoffs and now televising a majority of the games live and across the nation. What's next?

3afan
12-21-2010, 05:25 PM
That pick wasn't the best. I've seen a couple of more from the back side of the end zone directly behind the play... TD, no question. But, the next question is what was the side judge that was on the opposite side seeing. Who knows. Luck went to Aledo for the missed call, end of story and season for Sville. It happens in games all the time.

We have become a society with so many technological advancements, why can't there be video replay in situations like this? It's going to come at one point or another down the road. The UIL is becoming very successful with the number of teams that now participate in the playoffs and now televising a majority of the games live and across the nation. What's next?

OK fine - TD! but from he original pic posted - and nothing else - its inconclusive IMO

:tongue:

Rocket
12-21-2010, 05:29 PM
OK fine - TD! but from he original pic posted - and nothing else - its inconclusive IMO

:tongue:

Ummmm... Why would he post the pic if he dropped the ball right after the pic was taken? Dude, you are being argumentative for the sake of just arguing. It was a freakin' catch and it was a TD. No matter what you say or interpret from that pic. I saw 2 hands on the ball and a foot down. That is a TD.

GrTigers6
12-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Ummmm... Why would he post the pic if he dropped the ball right after the pic was taken? Dude, you are being argumentative for the sake of just arguing. It was a freakin' catch and it was a TD. No matter what you say or interpret from that pic. I saw 2 hands on the ball and a foot down. That is a TD. It was even in the stephenville paper that way.

BEAST
12-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Ummmm... Why would he post the pic if he dropped the ball right after the pic was taken? Dude, you are being argumentative for the sake of just arguing. It was a freakin' catch and it was a TD. No matter what you say or interpret from that pic. I saw 2 hands on the ball and a foot down. That is a TD.

Hmmmm, I dont know Rocket, perhaps the ref 15 yards away saw him slightly bobble the ball for .27 seconds before hitting the ground.

BEAST

3afan
12-21-2010, 05:45 PM

hey, I'm not saying it wasnt a TD, I never said that. I don't really care.

I said, and I'll say i again, from the original pic posted - and nothing else - its inconclusive

IMO

blah

bobcat1
12-21-2010, 06:02 PM
I am a GR fan and supporter. Dont have a kid in the football program. I was blessed with all girls. Glad to see you have jumped on board with me and agreed that luck has nothing to do with it. You brought up a good point I left out, genetics. GR made a good run a few years ago but ran into a much more talented Celina team. We have our work cut out for us over the next few years. I'll never forget that game. It was the night after our company Christmas party. I went but my wife said she wasn't going. Hungover bad. She showed at halftime and I think she was still drunk. LOL She was highly conditioned and prepared she did not get pulled over. (Or Lucky)

WildTexan972
12-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by mwrams
I keep hearing the teams that work hard go far...I have seen lots of teams work hard that end up 0-10...just sayin'

you have not seen many teams that work hard on the right things go 0-10.....and not having any luck did not cause a team to go 0-10.....they just sucked is all....

luck may help in some situations, but it don't win titles....only a total nutjob would believe that.....TOTAL......NUTJOB.....yes I said it....

garciap77
12-21-2010, 11:13 PM

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Surprise/surprised-027.gif

Old Dog
12-22-2010, 12:07 AM
My old Coach said, "Luck happens when Opportunity meets Preparation.............................."!!!