PDA

View Full Version : What coaches will stay and which one's get better offers????

88bulls
12-20-2010, 02:12 PM
I hope that i'm wrong but I believe that Bridgeport's Coach Henson will leave, due to him being such a good coach. Been at Bridgeport since '93 and only missed playoffs twice. He's been offered several jobs in the past and I think now that his boys have graduated that he might go.

Old LB
12-20-2010, 02:27 PM
I do not know of any coaches leaving, but I would like to see our coaches at Brownwood stay together for a long run. It is extremely hard to compete for state titles when you have high turn over in the coaching dept.

Rumor all year has been that Shipley would leave this year, I have no clue. Would sure like him to stay, aside from football he has assembled some excellent coaches across the board at Brownwood.

coach
12-20-2010, 02:31 PM
fairfield's coach got a 2 year extension after a 9 win season and a playoff appearance for the first time since 2004

Ernest T Bass
12-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Seriously doubt Shipley will leave. That was his dream job when he first got it. He's not a fan of the big schools.
I gotta believe that Carthage won't be able to keep Surrat much longer.

Looking4number8
12-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Seriously doubt Shipley will leave. That was his dream job when he first got it. He's not a fan of the big schools.
I also hope Shipley stays, not only for his coaching abilities but he is a class act. However look at the programs he has left. He left them in much bettter shape than he found them. Burnett and Coppell both have continued to win even after Shipley left

91 lion
12-20-2010, 05:07 PM

ETB, you seem to be very well versed on the Texas coaching circles. Do you think that Surrat will be leaving, or is he content with his East Texas goldmine. To me I think it boils down to what he prefers....cause Im sure he is getting offers.

pirate4state
12-20-2010, 05:24 PM
I understand (to a point) why some coaches want to move on and keep padding their resume, but at what point do you just stay put and really build something?

??? - 2001 - Davis
2002 - 2006 - Mitchell
2007 - Present - Allen

We've had 3 different AD/HC since I've been back in Sinton. I hope Allen sticks around. I know he has already had offers, but yall can't have him! :tongue: :D

buckeyebob
12-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
I do not know of any coaches leaving, but I would like to see our coaches at Brownwood stay together for a long run. It is extremely hard to compete for state titles when you have high turn over in the coaching dept.

Rumor all year has been that Shipley would leave this year, I have no clue. Would sure like him to stay, aside from football he has assembled some excellent coaches across the board at Brownwood.

Not sure about that...carthage coach has only been there 4 seasons and Euless trinity had 3 coaches in 4 years (I think).

buckeyebob
12-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 91 lion
ETB, you seem to be very well versed on the Texas coaching circles. Do you think that Surrat will be leaving, or is he content with his East Texas goldmine. To me I think it boils down to what he prefers....cause Im sure he is getting offers.

I am predicting Surratt will announce a new opportunity in 60 days...with 3 in a row, I am sure he will get the offers and I heard from a very well placed source that "if he is going to go, now is the time"...we shall see & frankly, I will shed no tears.

Ernest T Bass
12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
First, Shipley:
He left Burnet b/c the community was changing and he didn't thin he'd be able to continue to be successful. He also wanted to try his hand at the 5a level and have a large stage for Jaxon. Metroplex big school was not what he thought it would be, so he left. He was extremely happy to go Bwd. Don't see him leaving. But, him leaving Coppell was the best thing for Coppell. They were not a good fit together and it would have been a very bad deal very quickly. McBride will turn them into the next SLC. Ship will likely stay at Bwd. It's everything he said he wanted prior to leaving DFW.

Trinity has had the same coach for 10 years.

Surratt:
I can't see him staying too much longer unless he's just an East Texas boy and he's home(ie; Jeff Traylor). It's hard to sustain success at small schools. Nothing left for him to prove in 3a, so if he gets to chance to move up(class, money, better chance at sustained success), I can't see him turning it down unless he has stronger ties to the community.

Sinton:
HCs keep leaving Sinton b/c the demographics simply aren't there to be a perenial power. Davis' last year was probably the most talent that has ever come through Sinton HS and likely won't happen again for quite some time(they were LOADED!). As the saying goes, strike while the iron is hot.
Just my opinion. That and .99 will getcha a cup of coffee.

91 lion
12-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
Not sure about that...carthage coach has only been there 4 seasons and Euless trinity had 3 coaches in 4 years (I think).

Lineweaver has been at Trinity throughout their run. You are thinking of Lake Travis.

pirate4state
12-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Sinton:
HCs keep leaving Sinton b/c the demographics simply aren't there to be a perenial power. Davis' last year was probably the most talent that has ever come through Sinton HS and likely won't happen again for quite some time(they were LOADED!). As the saying goes, strike while the iron is hot.
Just my opinion. That and .99 will getcha a cup of coffee.

I get what you are saying. I guess perenial power is defined by state championships of which we have none, but we do WIN. Winningest Current 3A Programs of the Past 50 Seasons (updated through 2009) (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100351) Tack on another 10 wins this year and 1 loss.

Ernest T Bass
12-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I get what you are saying. I guess perenial power is defined by state championships of which we have none, but we do WIN. Winningest Current 3A Programs of the Past 50 Seasons (updated through 2009) (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100351) Tack on another 10 wins this year and 1 loss.

By perenial power I mean a consistant state championship contender, which Sinton has not been.
Still, any other year, that class of 2002 at Sinton wins one. They were loaded!

lv2937
12-20-2010, 07:16 PM
I gotta believe that Carthage won't be able to keep Surrat much longer. shipley also said it was his lifes dream to coach at burnet. he said he has always wanted to coach where he went to hs. he said he wanted to retire from coaching at bhs. we all belived it because his parnets live here. hes going where the money and talent is. dont get your hopes up that he will stay in bwood. if money and talent is better somewhere else, he,s gone

Ernest T Bass
12-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by lv2937
shipley also said it was his lifes dream to coach at burnet. he said he has always wanted to coach where he went to hs. he said he wanted to retire from coaching at bhs. we all belived it because his parnets live here. hes going where the money and talent is. dont get your hopes up that he will stay in bwood. if money and talent is better somewhere else, he,s gone

According to Bob, Burnet has changed considerably since he got there. He says it's a very different community now. I have zero connections to Bwd, but I do know Ship. He looked like a kid at Christmas when he got the Bwd job. I think he stays there awhile.
But, at the same time, loyalty is a one way street in this profession. In our "what have you done for me lately" society, a community will turn on a coach in a heartbeat once he's no longer successful.

lv2937
12-20-2010, 07:31 PM
i think ship stays in bwood one more year. his daughter is a jr this year, so i think he stays untill she out of school and then he gone.

sTxforlife
12-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I think mitchell will leave sealy i have thought for a while that he was just waiting for his son to graduate. This has happened so i think he will be gone.

Old Dog
12-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Brownwood might have a chance to keep Shipley. Word is that the Mrs. likes it there. He is very good at appraising talent and really wants to win a title. Burnet really thought we had a great coach for years to come, but no. That's life, no hard feeling. He sure put Burnet on the map for a couple of years.

bluecat
12-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Earnest T , clean out your PM box, got one for ya!

Ernest T Bass
12-21-2010, 05:06 AM
There ya go...

Looking4number8
12-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Brownwood might have a chance to keep Shipley. Word is that the Mrs. likes it there. He is very good at appraising talent and really wants to win a title. Burnet really thought we had a great coach for years to come, but no. That's life, no hard feeling. He sure put Burnet on the map for a couple of years.
A friend and I were talking the other day that if Shipley and Cam McDaniel both would have stayed at Burnet this year Burnet would have been unbelievable. Yall were good anyways but with those two... WOW!

rancher
12-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Jimmie will take the cash and dash. He will go to a larger program. GP is the perfect fit for him, but there are others also.

waterboy
12-21-2010, 08:47 AM
I was told that Scott Surratt was waiting for a certain coach to retire so he can go back home.;)

ccmom
12-21-2010, 08:58 AM
I heard at the Whataburger in Bangs (they just built one to compete with Early) that if coach Warren leaves Abilene High, Shipley is going to replace him. It has to be true, considering the solid source! :D

tog
12-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Very interesting thread.

YTBulldogs
12-21-2010, 10:08 AM
St. Paul Cardinals, Head Coach Jake Wachsmuth (TAPPS DIV IV State Champs from Shiner, Tx.) should get a few offers from non-private schools. Great coach.

BEAST
12-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by ccmom
I heard at the Whataburger in Bangs (they just built one to compete with Early) that if coach Warren leaves Abilene High, Shipley is going to replace him. It has to be true, considering the solid source! :D

That is one of the very few 5As I could see him taking. The rabid fan support is a factor to him.

BEAST

hollywood
12-21-2010, 10:21 AM

LOL That made me laugh out loud.

That's about as valid as Bangs having a Whataburger. Heck, they don't even have a DQ anymore. How many towns have a DQ close? lol Now hear this, I did hear that there are plans to build a new Allsup's convenience store! :clap:

Cam
12-21-2010, 10:35 AM
According to Bob, Burnet has changed considerably since he got there. He says it's a very different community now. I have zero connections to Bwd, but I do know Ship. He looked like a kid at Christmas when he got the Bwd job. I think he stays there awhile.
But, at the same time, loyalty is a one way street in this profession. In our "what have you done for me lately" society, a community will turn on a coach in a heartbeat once he's no longer successful.

Can you explain how the community has "changed"? Not sure I understand....

Ernest T Bass
12-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Cam
Can you explain how the community has "changed"? Not sure I understand....

No, I can't, seeing as how Ive never been there before. I know what Ship told me. They're obviously not changes for the better, so you will no doubt argue with me. Since I have no firsthand knowledge, I won't mention them.

LH_Tuff
12-21-2010, 11:48 AM
No, I can't, seeing as how Ive never been there before. I know what Ship told me. They're obviously not changes for the better, so you will no doubt argue with me. Since I have no firsthand knowledge, I won't mention them.

I also do not have first hand knowledge. But, I do remember when Shipley left Burnet. It seemed that there were a couple school board members that wanted a change. At least that is what I heard here in LH.

Old Dog
12-21-2010, 11:59 AM
I've lived in Burnet all my 65 years and of course it has changed. Bob was like most folks that come home to retire or move back, thinking it would still be just like was when he was teenager; "you can't go home"; everything changes and so had Burnet. Most of you that have retired to "back home" can attest to that. When I go out among folks, I only recognize 30%-40% of the residents and I never moved away.

Personally, I give Bob loads of credit, but Burnet never saw such a talented group of boys has we had in the early 2000's. Eight scholarships from here, unheard of! The cream on top of that was Jordan and QB McGee.

waterboy
12-21-2010, 12:10 PM
That's a rather high percentage, Old Dog. I'm not very old (49) and I can't recognize more than 15-20% of the people in my hometown, and some of those I barely know. The days of everybody knowing their neighbors has long gone in America, not just in your own hometown.:(

ccmom
12-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
That's a rather high percentage, Old Dog. I'm not very old (49) and I can't recognize more than 15-20% of the people in my hometown, and some of those I barely know. The days of everybody knowing their neighbors has long gone in America, not just in your own hometown.:( Let's be honest...even those you do recognize probably avoid you in public. We love you here, though, you goofy monkey! :D

Cam
12-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by LH_Tuff
I also do not have first hand knowledge. But, I do remember when Shipley left Burnet. It seemed that there were a couple school board members that wanted a change. At least that is what I heard here in LH.

Yep, I heard some of the same stuff about school board members and other folks not wanting Bob here. Don't know enough about it to be honest. I know his brother is now a school board member.
I'm a transplant from the Dallas area. I still remember Shipley jokingly asking me to move my son to Coppell to play ball there. I was like, no thanks, been there for 21 years and that was enough for me! Moved here about 7 years ago. There's definitely folks moving in and out around the Hill Country. One thing I've noticed is people here are real friendly vs. big city. But, some are hard to get to know when you're a newcomer. There's definitely a clique here from some of the the lifelong Burnet residents. People don't want change I guess. But, I've learned nothing ever stays the same. Burnet is a nice place to raise a family.

Ernest T Bass
12-21-2010, 12:21 PM
I'll say this and leave it for y'all to dissect. According to him, changes in the attitudes of the kids and parents was the thing the drove him out. The thing I took from him was that the kids are no longer the "small town/country tough kids". Like I said, I dont know. Never been to Burnet America in my life. Just know what he told me. Saw what all went down in Coppell, and knew that Bwd was what he was looking for. Don't see him leaving, but the Abilene gig does sound like something he'd be interested in. Of couse, it's not even open yet.

Cam
12-21-2010, 12:34 PM
I'll say this and leave it for y'all to dissect. According to him, changes in the attitudes of the kids and parents was the thing the drove him out. The thing I took from him was that the kids are no longer the "small town/country tough kids". Like I said, I dont know. Never been to Burnet America in my life. Just know what he told me. Saw what all went down in Coppell, and knew that Bwd was what he was looking for. Don't see him leaving, but the Abilene gig does sound like something he'd be interested in. Of couse, it's not even open yet.

Kids in Burnet are like anywhere else in small towns. It was the best place my kids could've come mainly because of the awesome friends they made here. Burnet is loaded with great kids. As for the "small town/country tough kids" take, I'm not sure Bob would've said that. Then again, here's one I heard from the swim coach Bob took with him to Coppell. (swim coach was my neighbor).
Swim coach walked into Bob's office in Coppell. Bob had his stud RB Okatcho (spelling??) in office. When the kid walked out, Bob said (according to swim coach), "I never had athletes like that in Burnet"! Whoa, come again there.....that was a slap to Burnet kids if he really said that......but, sometimes people say things they don't really mean........I don't know......

Ernest T Bass
12-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Cam
When the kid walked out, Bob said (according to swim coach), "I never had athletes like that in Burnet"! Whoa, come again there.....that was a slap to Burnet kids if he really said that......but, sometimes people say things they don't really mean........I don't know......

What's wrong with that? He probably never did have an athlete like that in Burnet. So what? That kid was a stud. Don't remember too many like that in Burnet. It's not like he called the Burnet Daily Gossip and had them print it in 12 inch headline. That's the difference between 3a and 5a.

waterboy
12-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Let's be honest...even those you do recognize probably avoid you in public. We love you here, though, you goofy monkey! :D
:doh: :( :bigcry: :dispntd: Honest?

:confused: Heck, it makes me no never mind. Accept me for me, or stay away is the way I feel about it.:cool: I'm good.:kiss:

RoyceTTU
12-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I just heard on the Radio that Steve Warren with Abilene High is no longer a candidate for the Angelo State University Job.

slpybear the bullfan
12-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 88bulls
I hope that i'm wrong but I believe that Bridgeport's Coach Henson will leave, due to him being such a good coach. Been at Bridgeport since '93 and only missed playoffs twice. He's been offered several jobs in the past and I think now that his boys have graduated that he might go.

I seriously doubt Coach Henson will leave. I can't speak for the man, but, what would induce him to go?

His boys are gone, but what would be the greener grass he leave for?

VWG
12-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
I seriously doubt Coach Henson will leave. I can't speak for the man, but, what would induce him to go?

His boys are gone, but what would be the greener grass he leave for?

Let's see.
1) Money
2) Better facilities
3) Bigger stage
4) Did I mention money? Remember, teacher retirement is based on how much you make.

No offense, I think Bridgeport is a heck of a community, but let's be honest here. You can count the number of coaches who have coached at one school for over 20-30 years in Texas on one hand.

YTBulldogs
12-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Surrat of Carthage and Bowman of Daingerfield might have some offers forth coming I would think.

Ernest T Bass
12-22-2010, 09:18 PM
I could see him leaving for a bad, but high paying 5a or 4a gig just to get his 5 year average up before he retires. That's what Keith Wright did after he won a SC at Farmersville, although he picked a bad district to do it in.

oldtownag
12-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Coach Surrat might leave for prestige but I doubt Carthage would let money stand in the way of keeping him. They gave him a fat raise last year and Carthage has plenty of money.

YTBulldogs
12-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag
Coach Surrat might leave for prestige but I doubt Carthage would let money stand in the way of keeping him. They gave him a fat raise last year and Carthage has plenty of money.

Not saying either are going anywhere. Just when you 3-peat, the big boy's come-a-looking. Must be a nice situation to be in, huh?

tog
12-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
St. Paul Cardinals, Head Coach Jake Wachsmuth (TAPPS DIV IV State Champs from Shiner, Tx.) should get a few offers from non-private schools. Great coach.

agreed
Jake knows his stuff.

XMan
12-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Maybe Burnet started playing sports other than football.

ccmom
12-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by XMan
Maybe Burnet started playing sports other than football.

You mean like field hockey? :confused:

Heaven knows XMan wouldn't be whining about baseball...:rolleyes:

slpybear the bullfan
12-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Let's see.
1) Money
2) Better facilities
3) Bigger stage
4) Did I mention money? Remember, teacher retirement is based on how much you make.

No offense, I think Bridgeport is a heck of a community, but let's be honest here. You can count the number of coaches who have coached at one school for over 20-30 years in Texas on one hand.

I absolutely agree with you. On all 3, (4:)) of those reasons you mentioned. I would also venture a guess that all of those have come calling many times before.

I should clarify my comments a bit; I am not claiming that Bridgeport is such a great place that Coach Henson would never want to leave. Rather, that there are rumors almost every year now that Coach Henson will be leaving for this or that reason. I guess now the rumors are starting because his kids are will all be out of the ISD after this year?

Ernest T Bass
12-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
I absolutely agree with you. On all 3, (4:)) of those reasons you mentioned. I would also venture a guess that all of those have come calling many times before.

I should clarify my comments a bit; I am not claiming that Bridgeport is such a great place that Coach Henson would never want to leave. Rather, that there are rumors almost every year now that Coach Henson will be leaving for this or that reason. I guess now the rumors are starting because his kids are will all be out of the ISD after this year?

If he had goals of coaching at larger programs, he would have done that by now. He's had opportunities, and you have to take them when they arise.
But, now that he's on the downhill side of his career, he may be looking at retirement. Your TRS retirement is determined by the average salary of your last 3 years. So, he may look to get a pay raise to get his average up before he hangs it up.