PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Mitchell to Gregory Portland

rancher
12-20-2010, 08:50 AM
My sources are telling me that Jimmy Mitchell the top candiate for the job at Gregory Portland.

pirate4state
12-20-2010, 08:56 AM
I hope you have good sources.

rancher
12-20-2010, 09:20 AM
My source is ADMIN at the district, told me that Jimmy well known from his Sinton days + the turn around he did at Sealy = perfect fit.

Lucky2Coach
12-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by rancher
My source is ADMIN at the district, told me that Jimmy well known from his Sinton days + the turn around he did at Sealy = perfect fit.

but, I think everyone wants to know how you really feel about the Belliville staff (lmao..j/k).

That move would be a surprise to me, but I know nothing about it!

MUSTANG69
12-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I sure hope your source is correct.

Blackcat1954
12-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Willing to bet Jerry Don Long from East Bernard at least applied for the job-Don't know if he will get an interview or not

Has had good success for the Brahmas-Don't know if a 2A coach would get consideration at at 4A school though

pirate4state
12-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Blackcat1954
Willing to bet Jerry Don Long from East Bernard at least applied for the job-Don't know if he will get an interview or not

Has had good success for the Brahmas-Don't know if a 2A coach would get consideration at at 4A school though I expect there will be a lot of applicants. Their facilities aren't GREAT, but they do have a good program....I guess. :rolleyes: :devil:

bluecat
12-20-2010, 10:09 PM

Don"t see why not, Coach Long was the off. coordinator at GP between 2002-2006, before going to East Bernard. Besides Coach Harris"s daughter Kerri is the track coach at EB, and his grandson is the QB for the EB. Hopefully we can keep the legacy
of ex GP coaches grandsons doing well in the NFL. Coach Akins, long time GP legend has quite a good QB as his grandson, Drew Brees.:D

sinfan75
12-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Hard to see Mitchell leavin Sealy for G-P.

bluecat
12-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Hard to see Mitchell leavin Sealy for G-P.
I really can see Jimmie leaving Sealy for GP, because his son Cass is graduating this year at Sealy and that he knows the potential at GP. It"s true that GP doesn"t have the best facilities in 4A but we are working that issue as we speak and the facilities will be greatly improved in the near future. GP has the athletes to compete with anyone, and with a new competitive motivated coach and the improved facilities, I can see GP getting back to the levels in the mid 90"s and early 2000"s. We just need a good HC/AD to work with the supt. and the school board to implement the upcoming changes.

bluecat
12-21-2010, 12:44 AM
http://www.caller2.com/kickoff/stories/15.html

This is a article written about former GP coach Ray Akins and George Harris"s explanation of his coaching style.

Good Stuff!

bluecat
12-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Can anyone confirm if Jimmie Mitchell has an assistant Coach by the name of Tyler Marrou, ex TCU and ex-Calallen.

sTxforlife
12-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by bluecat
I really can see Jimmie leaving Sealy for GP, because his son Cass is graduating this year at Sealy and that he knows the potential at GP. It"s true that GP doesn"t have the best facilities in 4A but we are working that issue as we speak and the facilities will be greatly improved in the near future. GP has the athletes to compete with anyone, and with a new competitive motivated coach and the improved facilities, I can see GP getting back to the levels in the mid 90"s and early 2000"s. We just need a good HC/AD to work with the supt. and the school board to implement the upcoming changes.

Ha well if yall r looking for a coach that is willing to work with people then u guys should keep looking because that definitely isn't Jimmie Mitchell

sTxforlife
12-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Can anyone confirm if Jimmie Mitchell has an assistant Coach by the name of Tyler Marrou, ex TCU and ex-Calallen.
He doesn't

FmrPirate14
12-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by sTxforlife
Ha well if yall r looking for a coach that is willing to work with people then u guys should keep looking because that definitely isn't Jimmie Mitchell

Ehh, I can go 50/50 with you on this..I played for Mitchell in Sinton he was a great coach..he's mentoring skills werent the greatest but hey he told us straight up face to face what we were lacking and how to improve

buff4ever
12-23-2010, 10:05 AM
If he goes, then I say he has done a great job at Sealy, and I will not miss "Jimmy Having Something for you" comments around these areas. He had something for us once, but it may have been that we didn't have anything for him. :D :D :D

That phrase just drove me nuts, no matter what team it was directed at.

pirate4state
12-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by sTxforlife
Ha well if yall r looking for a coach that is willing to work with people then u guys should keep looking because that definitely isn't Jimmie Mitchell He doesn't sugar coat things and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way these days. :rolleyes: I think he'd fit in just fine at Portland.

rancher
12-23-2010, 10:23 AM
I can tell you with certainly that the school budget next year will hit Jimmie hard in the athletic dept. Austin county is expecting 11% less propety taxes and sale taxes are expected to be below this year levels. Add to the mixture that BAE systems will not have the tax base as last year, toyota parts warehouse tax base will be down and you are looking at major cut backs. Wallis-Orchard ISD, just down the road has already infomed teachers that there will be layoffs. Sealy school district has already toped out at their M&O side of the budget and if they want to raise taxes, they must take it to a vote. With this looming, the GP job could look very very good to Jimmie.

bluecat
12-23-2010, 10:53 AM
I can tell you with certainly that the school budget next year will hit Jimmie hard in the athletic dept. Austin county is expecting 11% less propety taxes and sale taxes are expected to be below this year levels. Add to the mixture that BAE systems will not have the tax base as last year, toyota parts warehouse tax base will be down and you are looking at major cut backs. Wallis-Orchard ISD, just down the road has already infomed teachers that there will be layoffs. Sealy school district has already toped out at their M&O side of the budget and if they want to raise taxes, they must take it to a vote. With this looming, the GP job could look very very good to Jimmie.

All school districts in Texas are facing the same budget battles no matter what classification they are in. GP is no different than any other school in that regard, but we may be getting ahead of ourselves in deeming the GP HC/AD job to anyone. GP has gotten plenty of attention from some very qualified coaches and will continue to accept applications through mid Jan. Also some very good vacancies have come up in recent weeks that may have a bearing on just who is available by the end of Jan. when GP is supposed to select it"s next HC/AD. Jimmie would be more than qualified to be the next coach at GP , but he is not the only qualified coach to apply and it would be best to let selection committee at GP do it"s work and we may be surprised just who winds up at GP.

ogg
12-23-2010, 11:18 AM
http://www.caller2.com/kickoff/stories/15.html

This is a article written about former GP coach Ray Akins and George Harris"s explanation of his coaching style.

Good Stuff!

You're right! Good stuff. I played at Tuloso Midway back then and Akins teams were great.

The Gregory Portland and Plano state championship in 1971 has been concidered by many as one of the top 10 Texas high school matches ever.

MUSTANG69
12-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Does anyone know whem GP will actually announce a decision?

Johnny Utah
12-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Stx for life, I think you know who I am. Gp would be very lucky to get a coach like jm. He is a builder and a winner hands down. He treats his players and coaches very well. Whether he stays or goes he will win and have a positive impact on many lives. I am proud to call him friend and mentor. I personally know the principal at gp, she is awesome and she will have some say and believe you me she would love jm. Pierat4state, merry Xmas and sic em cats!

bluecat
12-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Stx for life, I think you know who I am. Gp would be very lucky to get a coach like jm. He is a builder and a winner hands down. He treats his players and coaches very well. Whether he stays or goes he will win and have a positive impact on many lives. I am proud to call him friend and mentor. I personally know the principal at gp, she is awesome and she will have some say and believe you me she would love jm. Pierat4state, merry Xmas and sic em cats!
I would say that Jim is right up there in the list of canidates and yes he is the type of coach GP needs.I hope you have made a call to express your opinion to her because convincing the selection committee and the Supt. to put out the type of cash it will take to get a coach of Jimmies stature don"t come cheap.

FmrPirate14
12-23-2010, 04:11 PM
If Mitchell got the job at GP wonder if Allen would step up and schedule a GP/Sinton match-up in the future? That would be fun Mitchell went out with his final 2 games against GP with W's and Allens 1st season he faced GP (Mitchell's Picked Schedule) he got a L.

bluecat
12-23-2010, 04:30 PM
He doesn't sugar coat things and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way these days. I think he'd fit in just fine at Portland.
Too many coaches today are exposed to the politics that revolve around some schools and the pressure to see things in a certain way. We have been lucky in GP to have had the coaches we have had and George Harris was one of the best in Texas during his 51 years of coaching the kids of GP and Refugio as well all of south Texas in track and field. Jimmie has had the first hand opportunity to know and play against GP teams and he knows the type of athletes GP has and what kind of teams he could build.

FmrPirate14
12-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Just got told by a VERY reliable source that Coach Mitchell is not interested in the GP job and is not going to apply for it

bluecat
12-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Does anyone know whem GP will actually announce a decision?

End of Jan.

As far as Mitchell putting in for the GP job, well lets just wait till mid Dec when the names come out!

OnceABucJr
12-23-2010, 07:39 PM
mid Dec?

sTxforlife
12-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Ok i think my statement was misinterpreted. I meant that Jimmie is reluctant to work with school officials he wants things his way and doesn't like to compromise. On the other hand I have much respect for coach mitchell because he doesnt care what people think and he tells you what he thinks. However, I do think that he will leave Sealy before the end of this year.

1st and goal
12-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Teetle gonna have to move if dis happens. Hope Jimmy gots a cart to loan Teetle...:D

bluecat
12-24-2010, 09:46 AM
mid Dec?

Sorry, Mid Jan.

Johnny Utah
12-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Are they going to publish an applicant list?

Ernest T Bass
12-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Hope not.

bluecat
12-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Are they going to publish an applicant list?
From what I was told, under UIL and state rules unless a coach wants his name mentioned in public, the district is prohibited from releasing any names of prospective coaches. This is to be confidential and in some cases to protect them from contractual issues with their current district.

Ernest T Bass
12-26-2010, 02:48 PM
From what I was told, under UIL and state rules unless a coach wants his name mentioned in public, the district is prohibited from releasing any names of prospective coaches. This is to be confidential and in some cases to protect them from contractual issues with their current district.

Freedom of Information Act forces districts to turn over the names to anyone who applies for the list. Since the district is publicly funded, it's public information. This is why many districts employ a hiring firm to at least narrow down the candidates. Since the firm is a private institution, they are not subject to the FIA.
Usually, the firm will narrow the list down to 3-5 finalists, and then the district will publicize those.

Additup
12-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Unfortunately it's public information unless they use a consulting firm...that's why some school districts have started using them.

bluecat
12-26-2010, 08:07 PM
the district is prohibited from releasing any names of prospective coaches. This is to be confidential and in some cases to protect them from contractual issues with their current district.

That is all true, yes if someone actually files FIA, but the district will not and cannot release the names, Unless a coach says they can, which most prefer to wait like some said, until the committee selects the top 5 canidaites for the position. There are some estimates that GP will receive over 80 applications for the vacant HC/AD job. May the best man or coach win, and in that case our athletes win.

There are tons of rumors about ex-Texas state coach, a coach from a north texas school with really good credentials and a coach from a semi-pro team, guess it would be best to just wait and see how it all shakes out. I just hope our Supt. doesn"t torpedo the whole process with a stupid low-ball offer.In that case well, hope he has a new gig lined up!!:thinking: