PDA

View Full Version : Another 4a might be moving down next alinement

orange machine
12-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Just saw on another board where La Marques numbers are dropping and they now have 960 students in high school. 3a is going to be a juggernaut with all these teams moving down.

Dogman_1969
12-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Rumors are floating around about a 6A that would even out the classifications. I expect 3A to be split up with the larger ones going up to a 4A. It will sure be interesting.

sinfan75
12-19-2010, 09:20 PM
1st year they make noise and then they become normal 4A drop-downs.:D

orange machine
12-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Rumors are floating around about a 6A that would even out the classifications. I expect 3A to be split up with the larger ones going up to a 4A. It will sure be interesting.
I'm to the point that making another classification is the best thing to do. There are to many schools that have to compete against other schools that are twice as big. There is know reason why say Whitesboro who has around 400 students should be playing teams with alot bigger enrollment numbers. Celina has around 550 students and are D1 give me a break where say Brownwoood has over 850 and are D2 it needs to be changed.

bigwood33
12-19-2010, 09:28 PM
The UIL has surveyed the superintendents of the state about this and will be making their decision based on what the vote was. Nothing has been announced and our AD isn't sure when the UIL may release the results of their survey. So, it is all up to the superintendents and the vote is in.

ccmom
12-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
I'm to the point that making another classification is the best thing to do. There are to many schools that have to compete against other schools that are twice as big. There is know reason why say Whitesboro who has around 400 students should be playing teams with alot bigger enrollment numbers. Celina has around 550 students and are D1 give me a break where say Brownwoood has over 850 and are D2 it needs to be changed.

I agree. I wouldn't want to be in charge of finding the solution, but the way it is now makes no sense. :doh:

ronwx5x
12-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Just saw on another board where La Marques numbers are dropping and they now have 960 students in high school. 3a is going to be a juggernaut with all these teams moving down.

My son-in-law bought a program at the games and LaMarque's enrollment is listed as 886. Didn't they opt to stay in 4A this year despite 3A numbers?

bigwood33
12-19-2010, 11:03 PM
According to the UIL website, their enrollment for this alignment period was 996. That is the bottom of 4A, not 3A numbers. Their current enrollment may be a 3A enrollment though.

Ernest T Bass
12-19-2010, 11:04 PM
They've been losing enrollment for a few years now, but Hurricane Ike was what really knocked them down. Supposedly, they just barely cleared the 3a ceiling but have a good chance to drop down in 2012. As of right now, I wouldn't be too worried about them.

orange machine
12-19-2010, 11:15 PM
To me 3a numbers should range between 400 and 700 give or take if they add another classification.

westcoast54
12-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969

So if UIL goes to 6A will we go back to having ONE State Champion in each classification. I HOPE SO!!!!

orange machine
12-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Anybody know how many schools have over 2000 students?

Ernest T Bass
12-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
So if UIL goes to 6A will we go back to having ONE State Champion in each classification. I HOPE SO!!!!

No. We crown 10 state champions in all, and that will continue. But, if we called them 9a and 10a, then everyone would shut up about it. Honestly, the way it's done in 2a-sixman is the way it should be done.

OM, there are around 300 schools in Texas with 2,000 or more students.

orange machine
12-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
No. We crown 10 state champions in all, and that will continue. But, if we called them 9a and 10a, then everyone would shut up about it. Honestly, the way it's done in 2a-sixman is the way it should be done.

Thanks, what do y'all think the numbers should be if 6a is added?

BEAST
12-19-2010, 11:38 PM

I agree. The split divisions is where we are heading.

BEAST

Ernest T Bass
12-19-2010, 11:38 PM
I dont want that job. Im afraid you can't do it without having an Odessa/Midland team coming to the Metroplex for district games.
That's why I dont mind the two division system we have now. The only people that it matters to are the fans. Coaches and kids don't care. I promise you that Carthage doesn't feel bad that they were the "Small school" state champs. No one who actually matters cares about it.

LoboesWT
12-20-2010, 12:12 AM
I dont want that job. Im afraid you can't do it without having an Odessa/Midland team coming to the Metroplex for district games.
That's why I dont mind the two division system we have now. The only people that it matters to are the fans. Coaches and kids don't care. I promise you that Carthage doesn't feel bad that they were the "Small school" state champs. No one who actually matters cares about it.

I do agree if the classifications were fixed those out West teams would have to travel farther, but it is time to try it out. The kids do not care, but I can assure you the Coaches do care. They exactly know what it would be like, to select from 100 more kids per grade level. As far as a fans perspective I like the big challenge, but school with such difference in numbers is not on a level playing field, which is the objective of the UIL.

orange machine
12-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Something has to be done, I like the idea of a 6a and one state champ in each classification. Nobody can say its not fair and and one team can call themselves the true champ.

orange machine
12-20-2010, 12:25 AM

I agree that it would be logistics nightmare for the big teams out west, but I think adding another classification is the best way.

LoboesWT
12-20-2010, 12:30 AM
I agree that it would be logistics nightmare for the big teams out west, but I think adding another classification is the best way.

It would be a logistics nightmare, but cleaning up messes like the current classification system is something that needs to happen. I can assure that it would work with less trouble than people think.

orange machine
12-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
It would be a logistics nightmare, but cleaning up messes like the current classification system is something that needs to happen. I can assure that it would work with less trouble than people think.

Im on board with it something has to give. It almost makes to much sense to add the extra classification you know. I guess they could always throw Brownwood in with the big schools like Odessa and Midland we know they would probably beat them right? :D

I shouldnt have said that, but oh well.

Ernest T Bass
12-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Well, Ive never heard anyone other than fans complain about it. I dont think anyone's ever won a state championship and felt it was lessened by the D1 or D2 distinction. Every championship team plays 15-16 games and beats everyone who's put infront of them. Added a classification will be a travel and logistic nightmare. I honestly think Dub Farris was pretty smart when he came up with our current system.

Txbroadcaster
12-20-2010, 01:17 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Well, Ive never heard anyone other than fans complain about it. I dont think anyone's ever won a state championship and felt it was lessened by the D1 or D2 distinction. Every championship team plays 15-16 games and beats everyone who's put infront of them. Added a classification will be a travel and logistic nightmare. I honestly think Dub Farris was pretty smart when he came up with our current system. [/QUOTE

ur damn right..We won state in 90 in 5a when it was still called Big 5A/Little 5A and we are all still proud of it!!!!!

buckeyebob
12-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Well, Ive never heard anyone other than fans complain about it. I dont think anyone's ever won a state championship and felt it was lessened by the D1 or D2 distinction. Every championship team plays 15-16 games and beats everyone who's put infront of them. Added a classification will be a travel and logistic nightmare. I honestly think Dub Farris was pretty smart when he came up with our current system.

Henderson / Chapel Hill got hosed. They should have been included with everyone else this weekend.

Matthew328
12-20-2010, 08:45 AM
La Marque right now has barely over 800 in the high school....realignment is very tough right now..something has to give...your options esp at the 3A level are:

1) 4 team districts
2) heavy travel with split divisions
3) higher enrollment disparity

Which do you want?

LoboesWT
12-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Well, Ive never heard anyone other than fans complain about it. I dont think anyone's ever won a state championship and felt it was lessened by the D1 or D2 distinction. Every championship team plays 15-16 games and beats everyone who's put infront of them. Added a classification will be a travel and logistic nightmare. I honestly think Dub Farris was pretty smart when he came up with our current system. [/QUOTE

ur damn right..We won state in 90 in 5a when it was still called Big 5A/Little 5A and we are all still proud of it!!!!!

Who was the best team in 5A in 1990?

bigwood33
12-20-2010, 09:50 AM
You are kidding yourself about the 1 State Champ thing. There will still be divisions, just like now. I heard that straight out of a UIL officials mouth. No use talking about it, that part will not change.

wimbo_pro
12-20-2010, 09:55 AM
I would like to see a simple solution...D1 plays D2 for all the marbles. Is that so hard? We could find a way to make it happen, so the scheduling excuse doesnt hold water (eliminate the bye-week, for example).

3afan
12-20-2010, 10:01 AM

agree :thumbsup:

LoboesWT
12-20-2010, 10:14 AM

The system is flawed once you get to the post season and divide Big School and Small School. If their objective is the get similar size schools to compete with each other, then it is simply flawed.

91 lion
12-20-2010, 10:29 AM

So, did he, (or any UIL official) ever say why they never followed thru on the plan to alternate the brackets with the "3 district team" formats.

As I understood it, in the first year of the 2 divisions, division II (small school) was suppose to have the 2 smallest playoff teams from each district create a bracket, leaving the 1 largest playoff school to make up the division I bracket.....then the next year, division I (big school) was suppose to be comprised of the 2 largest playoff schools, leaving the smallest playoff school from each district to make up the division 2 bracket.

I know that was the plan, but it looked like it was scrapped. Does anyone have any knowledge of the situation?

oldtownag
12-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I know this years 1A system caused all kinds of issues in East Texas. 4 team districts cause nightmare scheduling when district play rolls around. Basically, the districts with only 4 teams can't find anyone to play because everyone else has started their district schedule.

For example: Tenaha had a off week the last week of the season. They won the district and got a buy on the 1st round of the playoffs. So they did not play a game for 3 weeks. Not the best scenario for entering the playoffs.

My vote would be:

1st - Add 6A - one champ per class.
2nd - Make 1A-3A like 4A & 5A with 4 teams making playoffs.

Txbroadcaster
12-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Who was the best team in 5A in 1990?

Well we would say Marshall and I am sure Aldine would say them

Txbroadcaster
12-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by oldtownag
I know this years 1A system caused all kinds of issues in East Texas. 4 team districts cause nightmare scheduling when district play rolls around. Basically, the districts with only 4 teams can't find anyone to play because everyone else has started their district schedule.

For example: Tenaha had a off week the last week of the season. They won the district and got a buy on the 1st round of the playoffs. So they did not play a game for 3 weeks. Not the best scenario for entering the playoffs.

My vote would be:

ur not going to have one State title even with a 6A..and I personally am glad for that..I love all the play off games!!

91 lion
12-20-2010, 11:27 AM
ur not going to have one State title even with a 6A..and I personally am glad for that..I love all the play off games!!

+1

I would love a single champ, but you can't argue with the excitement that is caused by all of these championship games.

Blackcat1954
12-20-2010, 12:10 PM
El Campo just missed moving down to 3A last enrollment change-They are not growing by any means and would be very strong

WildTexan972
12-20-2010, 12:12 PM
divisions is not about excitement, it is about MONEY....splitting the divisions and having twice as many brackets is ALL about having more gate receipts to send to the UIL.....never fool yourself otherwise....

LoboesWT
12-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Well we would say Marshall and I am sure Aldine would say them

Exactly, no true State Champion for 5A in 1990!

LoboesWT
12-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag

My vote would be:

4 teams make playoffs if they have a minimum of say eight teams in their district.

Txbroadcaster
12-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Exactly, no true State Champion for 5A in 1990!

lol says u

LoboesWT
12-20-2010, 12:40 PM
lol says u

Nope as per UIL, two State Champions per classification. No true champion per classification!

Txbroadcaster
12-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Nope as per UIL, two State Champions per classification. No true champion per classification!

first part is fact..the 2nd part is your opinion

LoboesWT
12-20-2010, 12:46 PM
first part is fact..the 2nd part is your opinion

I agree. It will always be opinion on a true State Champion per classification, as long as two are crowned.

Ernest T Bass
12-20-2010, 12:49 PM
No true champion per classification!

Goes ask anyone who's ever won one if they feel the same way.
Like I said, no one who counts has much of a problem with it. It does suck when since you're one the two biggest in your district with 2,500 kids,you have to play Allen in the first round with their 5,000 kids. But as far the "no true champion", that only matters to fans.

LH Panther Mom
12-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Celina has around 550 students and are D1 give me a break where say Brownwoood has over 850 and are D2 it needs to be changed.
This kind of cracks me up! Celina, with their "around" 550 students, has in the neighborhood of 150 football players. And I'd just about bet money that Brownwood, with their over 850, had in the neighborhood of 120-130.

Ernest T Bass
12-20-2010, 07:43 PM
LHPM, did your son feel a little ashamed wearing his ring(s), considering he was part of the "small school" state champion?

LH Panther Mom
12-20-2010, 07:43 PM
To me 3a numbers should range between 400 and 700 give or take if they add another classification.
That gives you 107 teams, if you count Anthony. If you figure on 32 districts still, that gives you 11 teams statewide that don't make the playoffs.

My thought is that anyone that can do a better job needs to be there running the show. :p

LH Panther Mom
12-20-2010, 07:44 PM
LHPM, did your son feel a little ashamed wearing his ring(s), considering he was part of the "small school" state champion?
Oh yes, it's quite disturbing to him! At least he gets consolation in knowing that he has a "big school" state ring also. ;)

Ernest T Bass
12-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Oh yes, it's quite disturbing to him! At least he gets consolation in knowing that he has a "big school" state ring also. ;)

But that's the only one he ever wore, right? He never wore the small school ring, right?

bwdlionfan
12-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Im on board with it something has to give. It almost makes to much sense to add the extra classification you know. I guess they could always throw Brownwood in with the big schools like Odessa and Midland we know they would probably beat them right? :D

I shouldnt have said that, but oh well.

From 2000-2003 we beat Permian 3 out of 4 times. Granted they were not what they had been in the 80s and early 90s

LH Panther Mom
12-20-2010, 07:59 PM
But that's the only one he ever wore, right? He never wore the small school ring, right?
LOL! :D

LH Panther Mom
12-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That gives you 107 teams, if you count Anthony. If you figure on 32 districts still, that gives you 11 teams statewide that don't make the playoffs.
Okay...I could be doing laundry, but decided to throw this together. I'll call it the 3A itty-bitty classification. Any compensation going on in these schools is strictly hearsay. :devil:

District 1:
Dalhart
Perryton
Shallowater

District 2:
Anthony
Clint
Fort Stockton
Pecos

District 3:
Greenwood
Monahans
Seminole

District 4:
Brownfield
Lamesa
Sweetwater

District 5:
Iowa Park
Vernon
Wichita Falls Hirschi

District 6:
Argyle
Bowie
Bridgeport

District 7:
China Spring
Glen Rose
Waco Connally

District 8:
Ferris
Groesbeck
Hillsboro
West

-----------------------------------------------------------------

District 9:
Aubrey
Celina
Gainesville
Pilot Point

District 10:
Anna
Bonham
Nevada Community

District 11:
Commerce
Lake Worth
Whitesboro

District 12:
Farmersville
Van Alstyne
Venus

District 13:
Fairfield
Mexia
Palestine Westwood

District 14:
Lorena
Madisonville
Robinson
Salado

District 15:
Atlanta
Longview Spring Hill
Texarkana Pleasant Grove

District 16:
Center
Huntington
Rusk

---------------------------------------------------------------

District 17:
Gilmer
Gladewater
Pittsburg
Van

District 18:
Canton
Emory Rains
Kemp
Mount Vernon

District 19:
Bullard
Diboll
Shepherd

District 20:
Coldspring
Kirbyville
Liberty

District 21:
Hamshire-Fannett
Orangefield
West Orange-Stark

District 22:
Brookshire Royal
Hardin-Jefferson
Sweeny

District 23:
Bellville
Columbus
Wharton

District 24:
Caldwell
Giddings
La Grange

----------------------------------------------------------------

District 25:
Llano
Rockdale
Smithville
Wimberley

District 26:
Lyford
Port Isabel
Raymondville
Rio Hondo

District 27:
Aransas Pass
Ingleside
Progreso

District 28:
Mathis
Orange Grove
Palacios

District 29:
Corpus Christi West Oso
Cuero
Sinton

District 30:
Goliad
Gonzales
Geronimo Navarro

District 31:
Carrizo Springs
Crystal City
Pearsall

District 32:
Devine
Hondo
Lytle
Poteet

Okay, looks good to me! Somebody call Chuck! :D

Ernest T Bass
12-20-2010, 09:40 PM
In my younger, much less busy days, I actually did the math. In order to effectively even it all out, you'd have to go up to 7A; which would be an absolute travel nightmare! What we have now is basically creating 10 different classifications without the travel issues.

Phil C
12-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
divisions is not about excitement, it is about MONEY....splitting the divisions and having twice as many brackets is ALL about having more gate receipts to send to the UIL.....never fool yourself otherwise....

I agree. We are fast becoming like California in State Football championships where there are many watered down ones for the money. After that look for the private schools that recruit to change Texas footbal as we know it when they are included. Then it may be time for schools to rebel against the UIL.

Phil C
12-21-2010, 10:56 AM

I'm sure Calallen hopes so. ;)

Maroon87
12-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I'm sure Calallen hopes so. ;)

Au contrare, Phil...

LoboesWT
12-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Even if Texas had to go 7 classifications it would only help with leveling the playing field. Which is the primary objective of classification systems anyway! If not throw everyone in the same class and hope for a Texas Hoosiers Movie season.

Matthew328
12-21-2010, 02:14 PM
its alla bout finding the right balance between travel and school size...UIL is trying to get as close as possible to a happy medium

91 lion
12-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972

No one is fooled...its all about money. But to assume that the money (in this scenario) is not driven by the excitement and interest of the fans, would be naive.

The UIL knows that they have a cash cow that is exciting and interesting to the public.....why not double your fortune?