PDA

View Full Version : did you see the Pearland trick play for a TD

Looking4number8
12-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Kind of like the one posted from the peewee game earlier in the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXBLobBnuWE

Crazy but this was the difference in a win or a loss, I am sure Trinity is screaming about this play this morning

bobcat1
12-19-2010, 10:31 AM
I saw it. That was awesome! Kinda made them look foolish. I mean wouldn't you have a clue when the ball was snapped??

Saggy Aggie
12-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I saw it. That was awesome! Kinda made them look foolish. I mean wouldn't you have a clue when the ball was snapped?? It was too late at that point. lol. The db tried to play him, but a split second of not knowing what was going on and he was beat deep.

Tin Cup
12-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Did I hear right in the Perland Coach's postgame interview that a fellow district team's coach told him about the play and they put it in this week. If so, hats off to that coach for helping out his district brethren. That was cool to see in such a big game

TexMike
12-19-2010, 12:07 PM
And like the middle school play, there were multiple fouls (not flagged) by the team that ran the play. The formation was illegal as the 2 wideouts were standing parallel to the sideline instead of parallel to the line of scrimmage. There was also not a complete stop of the entire team for 1 second prior to the snap. The QB and 2 running backs were fidgeting around and never became motionless.

Trick plays can catch officials by surprise just as they can catch defenses by surprise.

Looking4number8
12-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
And like the middle school play, there were multiple fouls (not flagged) by the team that ran the play. The formation was illegal as the 2 wideouts were standing parallel to the sideline instead of parallel to the line of scrimmage. There was also not a complete stop of the entire team for 1 second prior to the snap. The QB and 2 running backs were fidgeting around and never became motionless.

Trick plays can catch officials by surprise just as they can catch defenses by surprise.

I wondered about that. You can understand it in a middle school games but the refs in a 5A D1 state championship game.. those guys should be the best out there and should not miss those kind of calls

bwdlionfan
12-19-2010, 01:04 PM
The formation was illegal as the 2 wideouts were standing parallel to the sideline instead of parallel to the line of scrimmage.

Will you explain this part of the rule more? I can't see where the receiver at the bottom of the screen is lined up (the one who catches the TD), but the one at the top of the screen is on the line of scrimmage. Does he have to actually be facing the defense for the formation to be legal? I thought you just had to have 7 men on the LOS... which I can count 6 (then add in the receiver you can't see at the bottom for the 7th).

TexMike
12-19-2010, 01:39 PM
To be legally on the line of scrimmage a player must have his shoulders parallel (or approx parallel) to the line of scrimmage. Based on reports from guys at the game, not only was the wideout at the top illegaly positioned, so was the one at the bottom who is not in tv view and who ended up catching the pass

bwdlionfan
12-19-2010, 01:40 PM
To be legally on the line of scrimmage a player must have his shoulders parallel (or approx parallel) to the line of scrimmage. Based on reports from guys at the game, not only was the wideout at the top illegaly positioned, so was the one at the bottom who is not in tv view and who ended up catching the pass

Didn't know that about the shoulders

Thanks

TexMike
12-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I wondered about that. You can understand it in a middle school games but the refs in a 5A D1 state championship game.. those guys should be the best out there and should not miss those kind of calls

I can show you video clips of NCAA Div 1 officials mis-enforcing very basic rules. Stuff happens.

Not to worry, UIL will fix it all next season. ;)

Additup
12-19-2010, 06:40 PM

...and the officials did GREAT because they did not flag something they did not see with 100% certainty. We've gotten to where we just say "no" in pre-game when they ask if we have any trick plays they need to know about.
We ran this play a few years back and would line the receiver on the line with his back to the LOS to meet the parallel shoulder requirement.

Old Dog
12-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Isn't a Coach supposed to notify officals if his team is going to run something odd or having linemen as receivers, etc?

Additup
12-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Nope. Officials always ask, but it's not required...why should they need to know? NFL has a rule that you have to notify an official of an eligible receiver in a lineman Jersey. NCAA and UIL doesn't have that rule.

TexMike
12-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Additup
We ran this play a few years back and would line the receiver on the line with his back to the LOS to meet the parallel shoulder requirement.

That dog will not hunt under the current rules as they specifically say the player must be facing his oppponent's goal line.

TexMike
12-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Additup
Nope. Officials always ask, but it's not required...why should they need to know? NFL has a rule that you have to notify an official of an eligible receiver in a lineman Jersey. NCAA and UIL doesn't have that rule.
We don't even ask anymore as the standard conversation went like this:
"Coach, do you have any trick plays we should be aware of?"

Response: "Not by design"

Coaches realize if they can catch the officials unaware they might get away with something.

Pendragon13
12-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Normally I think trick plays like that are cheap, but Pearland was going up against not only the top ranked team in the state but nationally as well. Who can blame them for trying everything to get the win? And by "trick plays" I don't mean garden variety flea flickers, hook and ladders etc..

LoboesWT
12-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Normally I think trick plays like that are cheap, but Pearland was going up against not only the top ranked team in the state but nationally as well. Who can blame them for trying everything to get the win? And by "trick plays" I don't mean garden variety flea flickers, hook and ladders etc..

If you ain't cheatin you ain't trying hard enough right? Have to agree trick plays are on the cheap side and should be reviewable in a game of this magnitude. That would have allowed the officials to see that the receivers were not lined up correctly at the snap of the ball. Congrats to Pearland all the same.

TexMike
12-19-2010, 07:58 PM
This play would not have been reviewable even in the Super Bowl under the current instant replay rules

FB-fanatic
12-19-2010, 08:00 PM
The formation was illegal as the 2 wideouts were standing parallel to the sideline instead of parallel to the line of scrimmage.

What about the Wimberly formation which has a slot-back lined up sideways, facing the QB?

TexMike
12-19-2010, 08:04 PM
A "slot back" is a back, not a lineman. Backs can face anyway they want

Additup
12-19-2010, 08:32 PM
I know the unwritten rule for officials is "Don't flag something unless you can tell the referee the signal for it".
I assume the non-parallel linemen would be signaled as illegal procedure ???

TexMike
12-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Yep that is it. Interesting comment though as there was a play in the lake Travis - Denton game where there was a flag for something (blocking b a fair catch signaller who did not touch the ball) and obviously the R did not know the signal. Nobody noticed but us loser zebras watching but we got quite a charge out of it

gold_33
12-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by FB-fanatic
What about the Wimberly formation which has a slot-back lined up sideways, facing the QB?

Huh?? Wimberley runs the spread no slot back, you must be thinking Coldspring where their wing back is turned sideways.

TexMike
12-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Upon further review....I withdraw my comments re the potential illegal shift on this play. Turns out the ball was snapped at the moment the referee blew his whistle fro the ready for play so there was no illegal shift.

OldBison75
12-20-2010, 04:07 PM
I think that if the receiver is standing on the line of scrimmage with one foot, it doesn't matter which way he faces. If you watch, spread teams almost always have receivers with the upper body turned toward the center of the field before the snap, looking for an audible or the snap. Does the rule require that they be facing forward? I think it only says the receiver at the end of the line has to be in a football position with at least one foot on the line of scrimmage. Wide receivers most often are in a standing position as these guys were--maybe not as relaxed, but standing.

Additup
12-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Must be parallel AT SNAP...could really be called on the snapper on any swinging gate sideways snap. Point of emphasis when it first came out. Never really called though.

TexMike
12-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I think that if the receiver is standing on the line of scrimmage with one foot, it doesn't matter which way he faces. If you watch, spread teams almost always have receivers with the upper body turned toward the center of the field before the snap, looking for an audible or the snap. Does the rule require that they be facing forward? I think it only says the receiver at the end of the line has to be in a football position with at least one foot on the line of scrimmage. Wide receivers most often are in a standing position as these guys were--maybe not as relaxed, but standing.

It does matter, by rule. We can debate whether or should or not, but it does.

The spread teams do have guys looking out at the sidelines, but that is pre-snap. At the snap their shouldser must be parallel OR APPROXIMATELY PARALLEL to the line of scrimmage.

GATAPride77
12-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I think that if the receiver is standing on the line of scrimmage with one foot, it doesn't matter which way he faces. If you watch, spread teams almost always have receivers with the upper body turned toward the center of the field before the snap, looking for an audible or the snap. Does the rule require that they be facing forward?

Rule says approxametly parallel to opponents goal line for eligible receivers. In your play, that would fall into the approxametly category. What we saw in the Championship game was completlly different. The WRs were facing the sideline to do their part to sell the deception.

GATAPride77
12-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Yep that is it. Interesting comment though as there was a play in the lake Travis - Denton game where there was a flag for something (blocking b a fair catch signaller who did not touch the ball) and obviously the R did not know the signal. Nobody noticed but us loser zebras watching but we got quite a charge out of it

And us officiating nerds also knew they marked it off from the wrong spot.

No matter how much we strive to be perfect we all manage to kick some every now and then. Thank goodness 99.9% of fans and coaches don't know when we do and the ones they think we missed we actually got right.