PDA

View Full Version : Was talking to this old man..

Emerson1
12-19-2010, 02:32 AM
In the lobby of our hotel before the games and he said he was talking to some UIL officials and they said they might make the championship site Jerry World again next year.

As long as it's not the alamodome I'll be happy.

bwdlionfan
12-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
In the lobby of our hotel before the games and he said he was talking to some UIL officials and they said they might make the championship site Jerry World again next year.

They interviewed the director of the UIL last night on FSSW and he said they will meet in Jan/Feb to determine where it will be next year. He did say it could return to Cowboys Stadium.

What is it you dislike about the Alamodome? I've only been there twice... once for basketball when I was in 5th or 6th grade and once for football I think in 2003 when Brownwood played Dunbar.

Rabid Cougar
12-19-2010, 12:26 PM
It was interesting that the Official UIL representative who was handing out medals at Mansfield last night ALSO was employed by Mansfield ISD.

The Stadium was nice but getting out of there was a night mare. Pretty bad access to the joint.

coachc45
12-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
It was interesting that the Official UIL representative who was handing out medals at Mansfield last night ALSO was employed by Mansfield ISD.

The Stadium was nice but getting out of there was a night mare. Pretty bad access to the joint.

Really... I was out of the parking lot and on 360 headed north within about 10 minutes of reaching my car. Of course I didn't stick around for very long after the game ended. Probably saw 10 minutes of the postgame celebration. I thought it was pretty tame.

Maroon87
12-19-2010, 06:18 PM
I think it should rotate between Dallas, S.A., and Houston.

Tin Cup
12-19-2010, 06:27 PM
I like 1 site every year. To me it's like getting to Omaha in baseball. Every team dreams of getting there. Towns will travel to support their team for football. If we were talking about another sport, the travel excuse would hold more merit IMO

Sweetwater Red
12-19-2010, 06:28 PM

The Alamodome is no Jerry's World. But, it's still a nice venue for HS football games.

Old Dog
12-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Sorry, I feel AGAIN that the only reason the UIL is doing this is "FOR THE MONEY".............they are a typical government leach, they must grow or die! We are heading towards the situation as in some other states where the season is meaningless and you just start over for the playoffs.

Yeah, I know, "grumpy old fart". Sometimes it takes someone that's been around a while to see thru the BS.

sinfan75
12-19-2010, 08:22 PM
If they're doin a location deal then they need to spread the love.
Reliant and Alamo may not be as fancy but just as good for highschool football.

Emerson1
12-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Who cares if they are doing it for money?

Unless you were there you can't really realize how great of an event it was. I doubt Steele, Pearland and Lake Travis fans are complaining today about the drive. I talked to a few people in the lobby of my hotel that drove a long distance and had no connections to any team.

You can't punish the kids just because a few UIL officials want to make sole extra money. I am betting 100% of them would rather play in Cowboys Stadium then somewhere normal like RRISD Stadium or Waco ISD.

pirate4state
12-19-2010, 08:41 PM
It really was a great event & a great venue. I watched 5 games for $30. Parking was free, thanks to Matt.

Concession prices were ridiculous, but I learned this year and that won't be a problem next year! :D

I wouldn't care if it was at Cowboys Stadium every year and I wouldn't care if they rotated it. I'll be there every year unless I have a death in my immediate family. :p

turbostud
12-19-2010, 08:42 PM
As long as the UIL is not using the money to snort the cocaine of excellence and pound the hooker of awesomeness, I don't have a problem with it. More power(and $$$) to them.

Dawgdaze
12-19-2010, 08:43 PM

Unless you were there you can't really realize how great of an event it was. I doubt Steele, Pearland and Lake Travis fans are complaining today about the drive. I talked to a few people in the lobby of my hotel that drove a long distance and had no connections to any team.

You can't punish the kids just because a few UIL officials want to make sole extra money. I am betting 100% of them would rather play in Cowboys Stadium then somewhere normal like RRISD Stadium or Waco ISD.

I agree. It was an awesome experience and well worth the drive from Deadwood! (Texas)

sinfan75
12-19-2010, 08:53 PM

You can't punish the kids just because a few UIL officials want to make sole extra money. I am betting 100% of them would rather play in Cowboys Stadium then somewhere normal like RRISD Stadium or Waco ISD. Well then why couldn't you people drive to Houston and San Antonio and have just as much fun?:thinking:

Emerson1
12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
No one said they couldn't...

Emerson1
12-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Concession prices were ridiculous, but I learned this year and that won't be a problem next year!
They are, that's why I snuck in 3 waters, a pibb xtra and popcorn over the 2 day period. Bought super bowl nachos, but they are worth it.

Entire weekend cost me $70 for entry and my hotel room. Not bad.

sinton66
12-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Reliant could be a problem. It's a grass venue, not turf. Not sure how well it would hold up to that many games over one weekend. The grass is portable, however, and I suppose they could have some standby replacements available.

pirate4state
12-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Reliant could be a problem. It's a grass venue, not turf. Not sure how well it would hold up to that many games over one weekend. The grass is portable, however, and I suppose they could have some standby replacements available. We were talking about this at lunch and Matt had some info on them getting turf or something. I've slept since then. LOL