PDA

View Full Version : Cuban to change the BCS!!!

RoyceTTU
12-16-2010, 04:12 PM
"As a businessman, I’m always looking at opportunities to look at businesses that are operating inefficiently in a market, and the BCS and college football is the most inefficient business there is,"

"It makes a hell of a lot more sense than buying a baseball team,"

Report! (http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/12/16/10/Mark-Cuban-to-start-his-own-college-foot/landing.html?blockID=374409&feedID=3799)

Pendragon13
12-16-2010, 04:19 PM
The only way he can succeed with this is if he convinces the schools and everyone else involved that more money will be coming in under a playoff system. And it will have to be a significant amount more...and beyond a shadow of a doubt.

poisoned10
12-16-2010, 04:38 PM
My dream scenario for the BCS:

Have the top 8 teams qualify for a playoff seeded 1-8 according to the BCS rankings. The 4 teams that lose will then play in 2 of the BCS bowl games. The 4 winners will then play with those winners advancing to play in the national championship while the 2 teams that lost play in the 3rd BCS bowl and have the national championship game played in the 4th BCS bowl game. All of the BCS bowls would rotate each round, each year.

RoyceTTU
12-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10

Have the top 8 teams qualify for a playoff seeded 1-8 according to the BCS rankings. The 4 teams that lose will then play in 2 of the BCS bowl games. The 4 winners will then play with those winners advancing to play in the national championship while the 2 teams that lost play in the 3rd BCS bowl and have the national championship game played in the 4th BCS bowl game. All of the BCS bowls would rotate each round, each year.

What about all the other bowls? I think that is the main problem, is the schools/towns/hosts make so much money from these bowls, they don't want them to go away.

poisoned10
12-16-2010, 04:44 PM
The other bowls would still be played as normal. They would select from the remaining teams not in the top 8 of the BCS.

BullsFan
12-16-2010, 04:48 PM
There could be bowl games and BCS bowl games.

Ernest T Bass
12-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
There could be bowl games and BCS bowl games.

Kinda like now?

WildTexan972
12-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
What about all the other bowls? I think that is the main problem, is the schools/towns/hosts make so much money from these bowls, they don't want them to go away.

all it takes to be sure all the good teams are included is the top 16....only takes a month to play on Saturdays and no classes have to be missed.....and you use the other bowls in the playoff scenario - like the Citrus or Holiday bowls are round 1.....up to the BCS bowls being the semis and finals to a true champion each year....the big bowls would rotate who gets the semis and finals each year, while the lower bowls rotate who gets the 1 vs 16 seed or 7 vs 8 seed each year....all the bowls still play AND you have a playoff.....you do not have to have either 1 or the other.....

BullsFan
12-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Kinda like now?

I meant with poisoned's scenario, which is where 8 teams advance and 4 of the bowl games are in the rotation as a sort of playoff system, and the other bowl games would just be bowl games.

waterboy
12-16-2010, 05:02 PM
:thinking: ....Hmmmm......I would much prefer a definite playoff format. Take the top 64 teams in the country (or maybe even 32), shorten the season by 2 weeks, then actually have playoffs. You could then rotate the various "bowls" for the semis and finals, with the other playoff games being in regional venues. It won't happen, but it would be a true NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, instead of a mythical "national championship".

jason
12-16-2010, 05:11 PM
why won't the system div 3, div 2, and div 1aa uses work for division 1 ?

RoyceTTU
12-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by jason
why won't the system div 3, div 2, and div 1aa uses work for division 1 ?

too logical :doh:

db1980
12-16-2010, 05:26 PM

I posted this a while back on SDC. Seed them 1-8. the rest fill the Bowls.

1 plays 8 in the actual Rose Bowl
2 plays 7 in the Fiesta Bowl
3 plays 6 in the Sugar Bowl
4 plays 5 in the Orange

It doesn't matter the conference. If the SEC got 3 in that is just more power to them.

Winner of the Rose plays the Winner of the Sugar in the BCS national Semifinals
Winner of the Fiesta plays the Winner of the Orange in the BCS national semifinals.

Those 2 winners face of in the BCS NC game.

Play the other bowls during the week. The 1st weekend of Bowl season have the BCS bowls. The next weekend have the BCS semis and the weekend the BCS NC game normally is have the NC game. The season isn't extended any longer than normal. Boom! problem solved. If you have a gripe, win and get in the top 8. If you are Boise and finish 3rd, you have your shot at a national championship. shut up, buckle up and play for it.

RoyceTTU
12-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Just stirring the pot a bit......

Reading everyone's response, basically most of you pick seeds from the BCS. Does this mean you all are confident enough in the BCS to atleast get the top 8/16/32 teams correct? Why not a different way, maybe AP poll or Coaches poll to determine seeds.

waterboy
12-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Well, actually, that's how the BCS works. They pick those polls and some statistical stuff and figure out a point system to decide the BCS rankings, I think. To tell you the truth, the current bowl system sucks, and the only way to really decide who goes to the playoffs is by doing away with conferences (which won't happen by the way) and make separate divisions by region, let the teams in those division play each other to make it to the playoffs......say 32 divisions, with the top two from each division making the playoffs, or maybe even 16 divisions, with the top two making the playoffs. This is all a pipe dream and won't happen, but that's the only way there will ever be a TRUE national championship game, without any possible teams being left out of the equation because they don't suit the criteria of the BCS.

buff4ever
12-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
all it takes to be sure all the good teams are included is the top 16....only takes a month to play on Saturdays and no classes have to be missed.....and you use the other bowls in the playoff scenario - like the Citrus or Holiday bowls are round 1.....up to the BCS bowls being the semis and finals to a true champion each year....the big bowls would rotate who gets the semis and finals each year, while the lower bowls rotate who gets the 1 vs 16 seed or 7 vs 8 seed each year....all the bowls still play AND you have a playoff.....you do not have to have either 1 or the other.....

I am for it, don't get me wrong, but business wise the issue with this is filling the stadium that many times. Do they play at neutral sites? Hard to do. Do they play at the home of the higher ranked team at the time? prolly, pretty big home field advantage but who cares.

I think if you do this and want a chance of it you do it with the top 4 but 8 would be better except you are adding a game and having to fill the stadium. Don't get me wrong, these would be great games, but at the cost games are these days to attend you are asking fans to spend a lot more money to fill the stands 2 or 3 more times. I think that this has been the business end snaffou in the whole play off thing. Everyone wants a playoff system, no one has been able to make it happen yet, and my gut tells me this is the money issue. All these bowl games are at neutral sites and have big time sponsors taking care of the front end expenses which most people don't think of, but are very big expenses. This still works for all the bowl games and for the championship of the playoff. But what do you think is best for the early games in the playoff system. I think playing at higher ranked team's stadium is best answer but am not real sure on what kind of financial strain that might or might not cause, and how much ticket sales to they owe to the visiting team who is very deserving??????????

These are the things that are holding up making us all happy with a playoff system. There is a reason that the bowl system is here instead of the playoff system. Football takes a little more leg work and money to pull off several games than basketball or baseball.

These are just my opinions, I may be way off, but don't think so.

poisoned10
12-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever
Don't get me wrong, these would be great games, but at the cost games are these days to attend you are asking fans to spend a lot more money to fill the stands 2 or 3 more times. I think that this has been the business end snaffou in the whole play off thing.

Do you think fans are going to be unhappy that their team has to play another game and they have to attend another game?

Get real.

RoyceTTU
12-17-2010, 10:43 AM
I will tread lightly but also say that I have personal ties to the BCS. I think the BCS works fine for the moment. But I'll be the first to say, once someone can put something together that is better, I would jump in-line. I hope Cuban can get it done. I do not think the Playoff system is possible and do not see the BCS viable by itself. I would love to see a Hybrid of both.

I like the idea of 8 team playoff that is selected based upon BCS. The BCS does great by taking a little from multiple sources to determine who is the leader. My one pet-peive is the automatic bids and the Automatic bowls for conferences. I think that is the 1st thing that needs to take a hike.

After the 8 teams are selected, it is a free-for-all for all other teams and bowls to go as they please. I also support automatic conference bids for the lower bowls. I also don't mind the idea of the larger bowls being one of the 8 team hosts as well as having a seperate bowl for the lesser teams.

My father's 1st cousin is Richard Billingsley. Those that don't recognize that name, he is 1/6th of the Computer side of the BCS. He is one of the smartest people I have ever met when it comes to college football and feel he and some of the other BCS computers guru's should have their place in deciding how teams are ranked.

Emerson1
12-17-2010, 10:53 AM
If he can pump more cash into it then it might eventually get approved.

UConn right now is holding on to 2.5 million dollars worth of unsold tickets they are responsible for an hundreds of hotel rooms and with all the cost associated will likely lose money in going to the fiesta bowl.

waterboy
12-17-2010, 10:54 AM
I see why you want the BCS system to still be part of the equation now, RoyceTTU.;) The truth of the matter is the current system is never gonna be fair because it punishes teams that lose, even if it's early in the season. I've seen years where the "best" team in the country had absolutely no chance at a NC for that reason, and who's to say that a team can't turn their season around and win it all IF they had that opportunity. Face it, it's never going to be fair for everybody, but it would be MUCH more fair with a TRUE playoff system, and not just 4 or 8 teams that the BCS picks. The ONLY rea$on there i$ not a playoff $y$tem in place right now i$ becau$e of one rea$on, and I'll let you have two gue$$e$ at to what that i$, the fir$t two don't count.....:D

RoyceTTU
12-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
The ONLY rea$on there i$ not a playoff $y$tem in place right now i$ becau$e of one rea$on, and I'll let you have two gue$$e$ at to what that i$, the fir$t two don't count.....:D

Can you be a bit more clear? I don't under$tand!!! :D

I havn't looked this up yet, but on WBAP yesterday, they were talking about a Sweedish group that attempted this some years ago and were promising a return of 3 billion on revenue over 8-10 yrs(this might be wrong, I'll try to find out more) for a new way of replacing the BCS and never got enough traction. I think Money is 1/2 of the equation. I think Tradition/Power is just as much a factor.

waterboy
12-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Can you be a bit more clear? I don't under$tand!!! :D

I havn't looked this up yet, but on WBAP yesterday, they were talking about a Sweedish group that attempted this some years ago and were promising a return of 3 billion on revenue over 8-10 yrs(this might be wrong, I'll try to find out more) for a new way of replacing the BCS and never got enough traction. I think Money is 1/2 of the equation. I think Tradition/Power is just as much a factor.
Tradition/Power i$ predicated on the $ $ign$, the more $ $ign$ you have, the more power you traditionally have.:D .......$o, tradition/power i$ a product of the ROOT problem........which i$ what I wa$ $aying......;)

themsu97
12-17-2010, 11:34 AM
actually, listening to people who write about the BCS, guys who are beat writers for colleges and part of national publications and then listening to AD's for colleges they all say the same thing as to why there will not be a playoff system anytime soon...
College Presidents do not want it... plain and simple...
they are the determining factor... they all know that the money is bigger in the playoff system... but how would you divide that money? too many people left out of the money grab... then exactly what determines who gets in and who doesn't? do you have to win your conference? too many questions out there

Pendragon13
12-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I will tread lightly but also say that I have personal ties to the BCS. I think the BCS works fine for the moment. But I'll be the first to say, once someone can put something together that is better, I would jump in-line. I hope Cuban can get it done. I do not think the Playoff system is possible and do not see the BCS viable by itself. I would love to see a Hybrid of both.

I like the idea of 8 team playoff that is selected based upon BCS. The BCS does great by taking a little from multiple sources to determine who is the leader. My one pet-peive is the automatic bids and the Automatic bowls for conferences. I think that is the 1st thing that needs to take a hike.

After the 8 teams are selected, it is a free-for-all for all other teams and bowls to go as they please. I also support automatic conference bids for the lower bowls. I also don't mind the idea of the larger bowls being one of the 8 team hosts as well as having a seperate bowl for the lesser teams.

My father's 1st cousin is Richard Billingsley. Those that don't recognize that name, he is 1/6th of the Computer side of the BCS. He is one of the smartest people I have ever met when it comes to college football and feel he and some of the other BCS computers guru's should have their place in deciding how teams are ranked. Tell your fathers cousin that he needs to drop hints to his coworkers that the Cotton Bowl is now worthy of being a BCS bowl since they no longer actually play in the Cotton Bowl.;)

RoyceTTU
12-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Tell your fathers cousin that he needs to drop hints to his coworkers that the Cotton Bowl is now worthy of being a BCS bowl since they no longer actually play in the Cotton Bowl.;)

LOL, thats funny. To my knowledge, all he does is maintain a big computer and root his Sooners on.

STANG RED
12-17-2010, 06:36 PM
LOL, thats funny. To my knowledge, all he does is maintain a big computer and root his Sooners on.

Sooners???:eek:

You really shouldnt have said that. Especially after telling how smart you think he is. Where is the credibility? :D

garciap77
12-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Sooners???:eek:

You really shouldnt have said that. Especially after telling how smart you think he is. Where is the credibility? :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

garciap77
12-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Where are you STANG RED?

STANG RED
12-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Where are you STANG RED?

Still in North Dakota. Flying home Tuesday morning, then back up here the following Tuesday.

buff4ever
12-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Do you think fans are going to be unhappy that their team has to play another game and they have to attend another game?

Get real.

Just saying. Not everyone has as much money as this takes. And those that don't, but pretend to are starting to pretend less and less, til times get better.

defense51
12-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Good luck!