PDA

View Full Version : College World Series

Ex-Tiger2005
12-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Could anyone that goes to the CWS annually give me some info on pricing and overall experience? I would like to take my lil bro for his grad present down to omaha. I was needing some help figuring and would like anyones advice how to go about the trip. Thanks.

RoyceTTU
12-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
Could anyone that goes to the CWS annually give me some info on pricing and overall experience? I would like to take my lil bro for his grad present down to omaha. I was needing some help figuring and would like anyones advice how to go about the trip. Thanks.

I have never been myself, but 3 of my close friends went in college and they had a blast. They went down there for about 3 or 4 days, and ended up partying with many of the players and teams down there at night, and watched baseball during the day.

After they came back, I wish I could of went. Somehow they purchased a pass that allowed them in and out as they pleased.

This is actually something I would love to do in my lifetime.

jason
12-15-2010, 02:50 PM
isn't omaha north of snyder ?

Ex-Tiger2005
12-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by jason

I think so...

poisoned10
12-15-2010, 03:19 PM

It's a few blocks away from John Tyler over by Tyler Lee.

hookandladder
12-15-2010, 03:23 PM
I have been going for the last 10 years, started going when my son was about 4 yrs. old. Our first trip Texas was there and my son was in 3 commercials on ESPN, it is the best vacation in the World if you love baseball. FYI- starting this year the Series is moving downtown to the new stadium, it will be very different this year being downtown. The series had been played at Rosenblatt stadium home of the KC Royals AAA club, so moving downtown it will be very different. I have a lot of info. about the Series, if interested you can PM me.

upper20
12-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005

It is a great experience - we were there the year before last for the opening ceremonies and first 4 days. Although you might miss some of the "atmosphere", my advice would be to skip the first 2 or 3 days and get there for the middle of the tournament. After the "newness" wears off and as teams start getting eliminated, tickets become much easier to come by (good reserved seats at face value). If they do the same way as at Rosenblatt, there will be 2-3,000 general admission seats for each game for ~$10. The problem is that they oversell the GA tickets, and for the first 3 or 4 games, if you are not in line 2+ hours in advance, you will not get a seat. After the first few days, the lines dwindled and seating was not a problem.

Hotel rooms were 2-3+ times normal prices, but we found some decent rates by the airport. If you plan to go during the middle, make reservations in advance and then re-check rates shortly before you go.

pirate4state
12-15-2010, 04:03 PM
I went in 2005 and am so glad I did. I loved every minute of it!! It's too bad you won't get to experience Rosenblatt. :(

hookandladder
12-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I went in 2005 and am so glad I did. I loved every minute of it!! It's too bad you won't get to experience Rosenblatt. :(

Agree totally, it will not be the same.

3afan
12-15-2010, 07:54 PM
isnt the CWS going to the new stadium in 2011?

http://collegebaseball360.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/TD-Ameritrade.jpg

http://venuestoday.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/aerial-from-sw-looking-into-bowl-high-res.gif

Ex-Tiger2005
12-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I have been going for the last 10 years, started going when my son was about 4 yrs. old. Our first trip Texas was there and my son was in 3 commercials on ESPN, it is the best vacation in the World if you love baseball. FYI- starting this year the Series is moving downtown to the new stadium, it will be very different this year being downtown. The series had been played at Rosenblatt stadium home of the KC Royals AAA club, so moving downtown it will be very different. I have a lot of info. about the Series, if interested you can PM me.

I will get with you more in depth after Xmas, that is when I will know for sure if he will be able to go. Thanks for the help!

pirate4state
12-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
isnt the CWS going to the new stadium in 2011?

http://collegebaseball360.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/TD-Ameritrade.jpg

http://venuestoday.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/aerial-from-sw-looking-into-bowl-high-res.gif yes, which is why I told him it was too bad he missed out on Rosenblatt.

NastySlot
12-16-2010, 10:21 AM
My son and I attended last season.....we had a great time...Hook and Ladder can set you up with info.

don't know how it will be away from Rosenblatt....but glad I made it to a series before it moved.

if I had one complaint it would be crowds(too many teenage kids).....the locals said that last seasons series was different from previous ones with tailgating and lines for GA seating.....still a blast it was neat to meet people from all over while waiting in line for three hours to get into the stadium two hours before game time.....I would do it again.

Best part however was the Road Trip I made with my son...who had just graduated from A&M.....made a tour of campuses on the way up....(my son got a call to interview at OU the day before we left and got the job)...made the following campuses....OU incredible facilities, OSU...great Hall of Fame, Kansas...got into Allen Fieldhouse...Nebraska WOW....Series for five days....K-State-I liked it...and Wichita State very nice campus and impressive baseball facilities..................oh yeah caught a minor league DH in OKC and a Royals game in KC..............So if you can travel by car and leave early it 's a Great Trip.

Ex-Tiger2005
12-16-2010, 12:00 PM
I hope we get to go! Yalls stories have given me the goosebumps thinking about how fun our trip could be!

pirate4state
12-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
Best part however was the Road Trip I made with my son...who had just graduated from A&M.....made a tour of campuses on the way up....(my son got a call to interview at OU the day before we left and got the job)...made the following campuses....OU incredible facilities, OSU...great Hall of Fame, Kansas...got into Allen Fieldhouse...Nebraska WOW....Series for five days....K-State-I liked it...and Wichita State very nice campus and impressive baseball facilities..................oh yeah caught a minor league DH in OKC and a Royals game in KC..............So if you can travel by car and leave early it 's a Great Trip. My cousin & I took a detour up to Lincoln to see Nebraska's stadium. Didn't see a lot of the campus, and we didn't even get to go inside the stadium, but we walked around and peeked through some places and just to be there was awesome. Guess we're nerds like that :nerd: :D

It was a once in a lifetime trip and I think everyone who has an opportunity to go needs to just DO IT!

The next baseball event I want to attend is a Little League World Series. Always wanted to go to Williamsport!

LIONS#1
12-16-2010, 12:51 PM

Might Check the Pan handle!!:cool:

hookandladder
12-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
My son and I attended last season.....we had a great time...Hook and Ladder can set you up with info.

don't know how it will be away from Rosenblatt....but glad I made it to a series before it moved.

if I had one complaint it would be crowds(too many teenage kids).....the locals said that last seasons series was different from previous ones with tailgating and lines for GA seating.....still a blast it was neat to meet people from all over while waiting in line for three hours to get into the stadium two hours before game time.....I would do it again.

Best part however was the Road Trip I made with my son...who had just graduated from A&M.....made a tour of campuses on the way up....(my son got a call to interview at OU the day before we left and got the job)...made the following campuses....OU incredible facilities, OSU...great Hall of Fame, Kansas...got into Allen Fieldhouse...Nebraska WOW....Series for five days....K-State-I liked it...and Wichita State very nice campus and impressive baseball facilities..................oh yeah caught a minor league DH in OKC and a Royals game in KC..............So if you can travel by car and leave early it 's a Great Trip.

Glad you and your son got to enjoy it while it was at Rosenblatt, Yes the GA lines can get very long but as you said you meet some really great people while waiting. Our second trip there we parked our Travel Trailer behind the center field wall in the RV parking lot ( It is gone now)for the entire Series, that was the year when Rice won it all. You talking about a big time party in this parking lot, so sad it is no longer available. Next year downtown will be interesting to see where everyone sets up their tailgate party, have a friend in Omaha who is looking for a spot for us to setup our Motorhome. Will be booking our trip right after the first of the year, last year we stayed at the Casio RV parking lot. This workout great for us with two 15 yr. old boy's that took advantage of the Casio/Hotel weight room and pool, Good time for everyone.