PDA

View Full Version : Pro Baseball & Football Offers

Bullaholic
12-15-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm wondering if there will be a trend coming for good dual-sport college athletes to take pro baseball offers over pro football offers because:

1. Pro baseball players seem to be getting bigger long-term deals than pro football players.

2. Baseball has guaranteed contracts.

3. No salary cap in baseball.

4. Proposed Rookie NFL salary cap.

5. Smaller pro baseball rosters to share the wealth.

6. Baseball has strongest player union in pro sports.

7. Much lass injury risk.

If I was a pro caliber college athlete with dual-sport skills and about to declare, I think I would sure give baseball the first look
without question.

crzyjournalist03
12-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I'm wondering if there will be a trend coming for good dual-sport college athletes to take pro baseball offers over pro football offers because:

1. Pro baseball players seem to be getting bigger long-term deals than pro football players.

2. Baseball has guaranteed contracts.

3. No salary cap in baseball.

4. Proposed Rookie NFL salary cap.

5. Smaller pro baseball rosters to share the wealth.

6. Baseball has strongest player union in pro sports.

7. Much lass injury risk.

If I was a pro caliber college athlete with dual-sport skills and about to declare, I think I would sure give baseball the first look
without question.

I think that baseball provides the best opportunity for financial growth and a long career, but some guys just like football better.

Take Riley Cooper as an example. He turned down a large offer from the Rangers after supposedly "agreeing to sign" and ended up on the Philadelphia Eagles.

LoboesWT
12-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Does anyone know the percentage of making it at the Pro level in both sports once drafted?

rangerjoe33
12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Deion and Bo Jackson are the only ones that come to mind immediately that have done it...of course I didn't google yet either so I am sure there are others...

Ernest T Bass
12-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Im pretty sure there's already a trend towards that. The only thing keeping it from being overwhelming is the farm league system in baseball prevents you from making the big bucks right off without proving yourself first. In the NFL, you sign, you get paid. In baseball, you have to spend some time in the farm leagues and work your way up.

crzyjournalist03
12-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
Does anyone know the percentage of making it at the Pro level in both sports once drafted?

If I'm reading your question right, which is how many players drafted in the NFL draft play in the NFL vs. how many players drafted in the MLB draft play in MLB, I can assure you that the percentage is far, far greater in the NFL vs. MLB.

In the NFL, it's very rare that a first-round draft pick doesn't ever suit up after he's drafted. In the MLB, it's probably fewer than 50% of first-rounders who ever reach the majors.

Baseball's draft also goes far deeper than the NFL's, having up to fifty rounds, while the NFL only has seven.

LoboesWT
12-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
If I'm reading your question right, which is how many players drafted in the NFL draft play in the NFL vs. how many players drafted in the MLB draft play in MLB, I can assure you that the percentage is far, far greater in the NFL vs. MLB.

In the NFL, it's very rare that a first-round draft pick doesn't ever suit up after he's drafted. In the MLB, it's probably fewer than 50% of first-rounders who ever reach the majors.

Baseball's draft also goes far deeper than the NFL's, having up to fifty rounds, while the NFL only has seven.

Thanks, the question was not written very well. I find that that the longer I am on this site my grammar and literacy continues to decline. That does answer my question.

rangerjoe33
12-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Wow, what was I thinking? I completely whiffed in my response. Sorry guys.

LoboesWT
12-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
Wow, what was I thinking? I completely whiffed in my response. Sorry guys.

No problem, my question was very poorly written.