PDA

View Full Version : Early info on Sweetwater

wildstangs
08-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Another Mustang stampede?

When you have a high school football program as successful as Sweetwater's, expectations are always high.

It's no different entering the 2003 season, even though the Mustangs lost several key play-ers from a team that was 10-4 and advanced to the state quar-terfinals for the first time since the 1997 campaign.

Only three starters are retur-ning on offense, but the picture is much rosier on the defensive side as seven players with start-ing experience are back.

Sweetwater -- which is ranked No. 14 in the state in Class 3A by Texas Football magazine -- will also count on the services of several players who spent last season on a JV squad that was undefeated for the second straight year.

The varsity teams at Sweet-water have a pretty good winning tradition going, too. Since 1984, the Mustangs have been to the playoffs 16 times and have won or shared the district title in 12 seasons, including last year when they were the co-champions with Snyder.

Most of that success came as a Class 4A school, but Sweetwa-ter is now 3-for-3 in making it to the playoffs in Class 3A.

The 2002 team was the first of the three to still be playing in December, however, and head coach Kent Jackson said his current players are eager to duplicate that feat.

"We got a taste of what De-cember ball was like last year, and we liked it," said Jackson, who has a 19-7 record in his first two seasons here. "We want to get back to that level."

To do that, Sweetwater must survive the same brutal sched-ule it had in 2002. It starts with five non-district games against teams who made the playoffs -- Vernon, Graham, Greenwood, Andrews and Wylie.

And Jackson expects another tough battle in District 3-3A. Sweetwater plays Snyder, La-mesa and Merkel at home this season, but also faces long trips to Denver City and Seminole.

"Everybody believes they've got a legitimate shot," Jackson said. "I think it will be extreme-ly competitive.

"The thing about preseason (non-district games) is to come out of it as healthy as we can. We know we've got to play four quarters every game."

Sweetwater started out 3-3 a year ago, with the three losses coming by a total of just 18 points, before catching fire and winning seven straight games to reach the quarterfinals.

"There's no doubt (the tough non-district schedule) made us better last year," Jackson said. "We need to take it a week at a time and look to improve.

"Our kids know that every night they've got quality folks to play. It's critical for us to make the most of our time. We're one of those programs, too."

Offense

Center Bryson Oliver (180) is the only returning full-time starter on the line. Another returning starter is 6-foot-5 tight end Giles Montgomery (235), who earned second team all-district honors. Montgome-ry will share time at with Steven Reed (205), while Daniel Mc-Gee (170) will battle Oliver for playing time.

Zach Gilbert (239) is listed as the starting right guard while on the left side, Ty Palmer (243) has the early nod over Garrett Clayton (230) and An-dres Serrano (175). At the tackles, Josh Camacho (274) is currently listed as the starter on the right side and Kevin Jones (175) gets the nod on the left side. Chris Smith (165) is also competing for the right tackle slot and Josh Garza (218) and Britt Powell (185) are competing with Jones at left tackle.

Reid Bishop (185) steps in for three-year starter Mychal Car-rillo at quarterback to lead the Mustangs' offense, with Jeremy Thompson (138) and Joel Baker (175) also getting time at the position.

VWG
08-11-2003, 07:42 AM
It will be interesting to watch Sweetwater in the pre-district games.
I would think 3-3 again this year would be a very good start. It will take the offense some time to gel and start clicking, but if they can get rolling into district then they will make another playoff run.

Chief Woodman
08-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Good luck Wildstangs. Hope to see ya in the playoffs.

wildstangs
08-11-2003, 08:11 PM
Chief Woodman:
Good luck Wildstangs. Hope to see ya in the playoffs.I hope to see Decatur in the D1 playoffs! :)

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-11-2003, 11:08 PM
Looking forward to the Sweetwater - Vernon game. I live in Vernon and my son plays. Consequently, I think Vernon will have a good year this year. I really think they are underrated, but who knows until we get into the season. Vernon returns 27 lettermen and like 6 or 7 starters on both sides. Also like Sweetwater their JV was very successful last year even without three sophomore players that started on varsity. However, a new head coach and a new offense so it may take a few games to really get a feel for it. I'm not sure how well Vernon's O will do in their first game. But their defense should be stiff. The linebackers and secondary are very good. Vernon may be like Sweetwater last year getting better and better as district starts and then peaking in the playoffs. It will be a great game and Vernon always has a packed house at home. I'm ready for it to get started just like everyone else.

wildstangs
08-11-2003, 11:18 PM
I think Vernon and Sweetwater will be a close game. Sweetwater should have a strong defense, but it is the first game, so we will have to wait and see how well they come together. I am looking for QB Reid Bishop to surprise some people. Lots of folks expect Sweetwater to be down due to the loss of Carrillo, and that is understandable. I look for Sweetwater to go anywhere from 7-3 to 9-1.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Should be a good game. I'm not really sure how Vernon will fair record wise as they have some tough non-district games in Sweetwater, Wichita Falls High, Wichita Falls Hirshi and Altus Oklahoma-- all good teams from last year. I think they will get better as the year goes on due to the use of the new offense. But Sweetwater will give us Vernon folks a gage at least because I know that Sweetwater will be a well coached, prepared team.

Chief Woodman
08-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Do not look too hard for Decatur to be in D I playoffs. Lake Dallas will be an improved team this year, and they made the playoffs last season. Although they lost in the first round, their JV QB was playing the game. New coach and most of their key folks returning, they should make it wich means.....Barring injury or suprises... Decatur should be in the D II playoff picture.