PDA

View Full Version : Check out this hit from Celina linebacker this year

orange machine
12-13-2010, 10:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4QLwNITLg

Good thing is he will be around for 2 more years cant wait for some football.

LoboesWT
12-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Special Teams is just too dangerous at times with those that know how to crackback hit like that. The inexperienced underclassman is usually the recipient of one of those blasts. With that said, great hit. I am already jonesin for next fall.

orange machine
12-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
Special Teams is just too dangerous at times with those that know how to crackback hit like that. The inexperienced underclassman is usually the recipient of one of those blasts. With that said, great hit. I am already jonesin for next fall.

Whats awsome is when your sitting in the crowd and you know whats about to happen then bang man its cool to watch.

neck_06
12-13-2010, 10:43 PM
That's 15 yards and 50k from the league on Tuesday. Helmet to Helmet. :2thumbsup

LoboesWT
12-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Whats awsome is when your sitting in the crowd and you know whats about to happen then bang man its cool to watch.

The gasp the crowd lets out simultaneously is always pretty cool, but only when the player that gets hit is okay.

Black & Gold
12-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by LoboesWT

It seems that special teams are where the majority of all of them come from. My first varsity game (long ago) I was the recipient of one and wouldn't you know it was on a kickoff...never saw the guy coming. One minute I am getting ready to lay the ball carrier out, the next I am getting up and looking out my ear whole.

bobcat1
12-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Black & Gold
It seems that special teams are where the majority of all of them come from. My first varsity game (long ago) I was the recipient of one and wouldn't you know it was on a kickoff...never saw the guy coming. One minute I am getting ready to lay the ball carrier out, the next I am getting up and looking out my ear whole. Did you hear those bees buzzing in your ears? :D

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2010, 01:02 AM
While it was a great hit, it was also one of the easier ones a player will get..I am also not a fan of him going high for the kill shot..just MO

orange machine
12-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
While it was a great hit, it was also one of the easier ones a player will get..I am also not a fan of him going high for the kill shot..just MO

I posted this clip to show an awsome crack back block that alot of teams do. Most crack backs as we all know are easy hits, but i think they are fun to watch.:D

TexMike
12-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
That's 15 yards and 50k from the league on Tuesday. Helmet to Helmet. :2thumbsup

Not helmet to helmet. MIGHT be shoulder to helmet but definitely NOT helmet to helmet.

sooner4life
12-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Would you have preferred to see him go low (which is illegal), and fracture a femur?:confused:

BEAST
12-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by sooner4life
Would you have preferred to see him go low (which is illegal), and fracture a femur?:confused:

Exactly. Or in the center and shatter some ribs?

BEAST

DDBooger
12-14-2010, 09:38 AM
LOL we can function w/a broken femur/ribs, not so much with a broken brain. I've cracked back on a lot of people when I played. I don't think I ever targeted the head. Whiplash at worst.

PPSTATEBOUND
12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Nothing but a big sucker punch.....Cheap applause.:)

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2010, 09:46 AM

yea cause the only place a player can go besides high is low?

the chance of him shattering his ribs is lower than possible head injury for one or BOTH of the players the way he went high IMO

sooner4life
12-14-2010, 09:52 AM
yea cause the only place a player can go besides high is low?

the chance of him shattering his ribs is lower than possible head injury for one or BOTH of the players the way he went high IMO
Go watch the video and pause at contact. It's not helmet the helmet. It's shoulder pad to helmet. Crack back blocks are part of the game (and legal). Every year, coaches are supposed to read the warning label on the helmets so the kids are aware of the dangers, as if they didn't already know. If those dangers are too much for a kid to handle, he doesn't have to play.

MoveInDad
12-14-2010, 10:01 AM
This young man had some awesome hits this year... I particularly recall back-to-back plays against Commerce where he nailed the RB head on in the backfield, and after the 2nd hit the RB did the sideways shuffle when he got to his feet to keep from losing his balance... now that's the kind of football I appreciate.
The hit above I'm not a fan of however... while that hit is totally within the rules, its intent was not to just obstruct the defenders path to the ball carrier. Anyway, that's football, I just don't want to see my son being carried off on a backboard from taking a hit he couldn't defend... especially when he's not carrying the ball.

sooner4life
12-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
while that hit is totally within the rules, its intent was not to just obstruct the defenders path to the ball carrier. Anyway, that's football, I just don't want to see my son being carried off on a backboard from taking a hit he couldn't defend.
I doubt any dad wants to see their kid carried off the field for any reason, but like you said "that's football".:)

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Go watch the video and pause at contact. It's not helmet the helmet. It's shoulder pad to helmet. Crack back blocks are part of the game (and legal). Every year, coaches are supposed to read the warning label on the helmets so the kids are aware of the dangers, as if they didn't already know. If those dangers are too much for a kid to handle, he doesn't have to play.

I never said it was helmet to helmet..what I said was I did not like him going that high with the block

MoveInDad
12-14-2010, 10:09 AM
I doubt any dad wants to see their kid carried off the field for any reason, but like you said "that's football".:)
Well, it seems, like it or not, football is going through some changes... and hits such as this may have to go in order for us to continue to enjoy the 'game' that football was originally intended.

sooner4life
12-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Well, it seems, like it or not, football is going through some changes... and hits such as this may have to go in order for us to continue to enjoy the 'game' that football was originally intended.
Is this the type of "game" you're talking about? Pretty sure hefty fines weren't tacked on back when these guys were playing the game the way it was intended.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEBdKXuSVD8

bobcat1
12-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Well, it seems, like it or not, football is going through some changes... and hits such as this may have to go in order for us to continue to enjoy the 'game' that football was originally intended. I believe that has been around since football was invented. Brings to mind the old saying "Keep your head on a swivel". It only takes a couple of earholes to make a person aware that can happen. You usually see stars a little while and have bees buzzing inside your helmet a couple of plays or ask someone to stop them blowing the whistle. :D

MoveInDad
12-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Is this the type of "game" you're talking about? Pretty sure hefty fines weren't tacked on back when these guys were playing the game the way it was intended.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEBdKXuSVD8
I very clearly said 'originally' intended...

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2010, 10:19 AM

I always love the way the game was intended theory...The game is intended to be tackle, block..there is nothing in the rules nor have there ever been that give extra points for killshots, or harder hits than others.

bobcat1
12-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Is this the type of "game" you're talking about? Pretty sure hefty fines weren't tacked on back when these guys were playing the game the way it was intended.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEBdKXuSVD8 Good stuff right there!

LoboesWT
12-14-2010, 10:24 AM

Totally agree! Those hits although exciting for the fan and the ones not in the game take a toll on not only the one getting blown-up, but the player giving the hit. There are better ways to accomplish the same goal of freeing up the punt returner.

hollywood
12-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Wish I had a video of the hit I put on that poor Taylor Duck on a kickoff. I was the gunner on the kickoff team my Jr year and this player caught the ball on the 2 and ended up in the endzone. I still remember his eyes almost popping out of his helmet when he stood frozen and I just sent both of us airborne. Aaahhh, the good ole days.

RoyceTTU
12-14-2010, 10:26 AM
This clean looks borderline, not in the sense of helmet to helmet, but I thought there is a rule about launching your body.

You will notice, after the hit, the blocker's body goes airborn, almost as if he jumped as he hit the defender.

With that said, as I said, it looks borderline, I hate to see a kid get smashed like that, but MO says it's clean.

sooner4life
12-14-2010, 10:28 AM
I always love the way the game was intended theory...The game is intended to be tackle, block..there is nothing in the rules nor have there ever been that give extra points for killshots, or harder hits than others.
No kidding, but that's how the game has always been played. It's not a theory, it's a matter of fact. With blocking and tackling comes an increased level of ferocity on both sides. It's going to get physical when someone is trying to win.

LoboesWT
12-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Go JoPa on football and remove the facemasks and walla no head injuries again.

DDBooger
12-14-2010, 10:33 AM
No kidding, but that's how the game has always been played. It's not a theory, it's a matter of fact. With blocking and tackling comes an increased level of ferocity on both sides. It's going to get physical when someone is trying to win. The increasing ferocity has resulted in a lot of peoples opinion a bastardization of tackling. So few actually wrap up and go through the person when tackling and most go for "kill shots" I promise you, the way the game "is supposed to be played" is fundamentally sound, the way it is reverting to is a kill shot or missed tackled. It's no coincidence we see poor tackling and more head injuries today. No game is meant to be played to maim people. Its occurrence is circumstantial. More often than not, when a player injures another, he is genuinely bereaved.

MoveInDad
12-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I believe that has been around since football was invented. Brings to mind the old saying "Keep your head on a swivel". It only takes a couple of earholes to make a person aware that can happen. You usually see stars a little while and have bees buzzing inside your helmet a couple of plays or ask someone to stop them blowing the whistle. :D
I 'hear' you bobcat... just one man expressing his opinion. Those that know me, know that my son that plays football, I watched grow up playing rugby in England and that he's as tough as nails even without the pads and helmet... but hits like this as well as most 'play' below the knee is illegal in rugby and therefore his swivel isn't quite as loose as others.
BTW, I like the discussion... something to talk about instead of defend ;)

sooner4life
12-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
The increasing ferocity has resulted in a lot of peoples opinion a bastardization of tackling. So few actually wrap up and go through the person when tackling and most go for "kill shots" I promise you, the way the game "is supposed to be played" is fundamentally sound, the way it is reverting to is a kill shot or missed tackled. It's no coincidence we see poor tackling and more head injuries today. No game is meant to be played to maim people. Its occurrence is circumstantial. More often than not, when a player injures another, he is genuinely bereaved.
I'm not sure if we're on the same page or if we're oppositions? I agree with you about the original intention of tackling, and the reality that is tackling today. We used to physically beat down our opponent, before all the spread offenses came about. One could argue that it was easier to be a fundamentally sound tackler when the game was played between the tackles. It's much more difficult to hit, wrap up, and drive in the open field. Thoughts?:confused:

DDBooger
12-14-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure if we're on the same page or if we're oppositions? I agree with you about the original intention of tackling, and the reality that is tackling today. We used to physically beat down our opponent, before all the spread offenses came about. One could argue that it was easier to be a fundamentally sound tackler when the game was played between the tackles. It's much more difficult to hit, wrap up, and drive in the open field. Thoughts?:confused: Placing defenders on an island with a ball carrier should encourage better tackling not result in defenses putting poor tacklers out there. I don't know how much of it falls on the coaches or players. What is being taught? I can't say, I'm not a coach.

bobcat1
12-14-2010, 10:57 AM
I guess when power backs like Earl Campbell ran and he lowered his head and knocked you into next week it was okay. I do agree the pure form tackle is wonderful to see but sometimes you only get one shot and it is not conducive to a form tackle.

LoboesWT
12-14-2010, 10:58 AM
I guess when power backs like Earl Campbell ran and he lowered his head and knocked you into next week it was okay. I do agree the pure form tackle is wonderful to see but sometimes you only get one shot and it is not conducive to a form tackle.

Have you seen Earl Campbell lately, He is not okay!!

sooner4life
12-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Placing defenders on an island with a ball carrier should encourage better tackling not result in defenses putting poor tacklers out there. I don't know how much of it falls on the coaches or players. What is being taught? I can't say, I'm not a coach.
Well, we teach good, sound, open field tackling, but the reality is, in the middle of a game, good, sound, open field tackling may not happen. Players will do what they have to do to get the ball carrier to the ground. If a players does exactly what he's coached to do, he's just a good athlete. If he goes rogue and does his own thing, it's poor coaching. That's usually how it works.

DDBooger
12-14-2010, 11:04 AM
I guess when power backs like Earl Campbell ran and he lowered his head and knocked you into next week it was okay. I do agree the pure form tackle is wonderful to see but sometimes you only get one shot and it is not conducive to a form tackle. Yeah, but anecdotes never represent the norm. Earl Campbell beat the defender to the punch by placing his facemask/shourlder in the chest of the defender rather than vice versa.

MoveInDad
12-14-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure if we're on the same page or if we're oppositions? I agree with you about the original intention of tackling, and the reality that is tackling today. We used to physically beat down our opponent, before all the spread offenses came about. One could argue that it was easier to be a fundamentally sound tackler when the game was played between the tackles. It's much more difficult to hit, wrap up, and drive in the open field. Thoughts?:confused:
Your point is well taken, my point is more about hits delivered to players in a 'defenseless' position... without the ball in most cases. So taking down a ball carrier by any means other than a head shot and a horse collar is just part of the game in my opinion... he knows he's going to get hit.

Emerson1
12-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Is it only the NFL where it's illegal to leave your feet and rocket yourself into a guy?

hollywood
12-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Well, we teach good, sound, open field tackling, but the reality is, in the middle of a game, good, sound, open field tackling may not happen. Players will do what they have to do to get the ball carrier to the ground. If a players does exactly what he's coached to do, he's just a good athlete. If he goes rogue and does his own thing, it's poor coaching. That's usually how it works. d

I don't agree 100%. Coaches try to teach players good technique and good fundamentals in all aspects of football. But if a situation comes about on the field in a split second... sometimes instincts come out and that doesn't mean the coaching is poor. Or better yet, we've all seen players with natural born ability that no one can coach good fundamentals to by the "normal" standards because the player may have a little different approach engrained in them. Does this make them " not coachable"? Absolutely not.

Coaching is to teach the fundamentals of how the game is suppose to be played. If a player strays from the fundamentals from time to time and gets the job done within the rules, then that's being athletic IMO.

bobcat1
12-14-2010, 12:23 PM
in the middle of a game, good, sound, open field tackling may not happen. Players will do what they have to do to get the ball carrier to the ground. If a players does exactly what he's coached to do, he's just a good athlete. :clap: :clap: :clap:

sooner4life
12-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
d

I don't agree 100%. Coaches try to teach players good technique and good fundamentals in all aspects of football. But if a situation comes about on the field in a split second... sometimes instincts come out and that doesn't mean the coaching is poor.
I'm a coach, and was being sarcastic. Your point is a good one though!:)

bobcat1
12-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Seems that far back in my mind I can hear my coach screaming, with blood veins protruding from his neck, spit flying, eyes red and face red "I don't give 3 sharts how you get his arse on the ground, Get his arse on the ground". :D

hollywood
12-14-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm a coach, and was being sarcastic. Your point is a good one though!:) ;)

peagle
12-14-2010, 07:26 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

garciap77
12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4QLwNITLg

Good thing is he will be around for 2 more years cant wait for some football.

I believe that is helmet to helmet! If he plans to play in the NFL, he might want to change his habit. It might save him some money! Just saying!!!!

gatordaze
12-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
I believe that is helmet to helmet! If he plans to play in the NFL, he might want to change his habit. It might save him some money! Just saying!!!!

He is not playing in the NFL without 3 inches and 30-40 lbs! He is only 16 so who knows.

The video is loaded HD. You can select 720P and watch again. He actually hit the kid in the shoulder with a forearm. Did not target with or at a helmet!

He is one my twins, I would not have loaded to YouTube anything that was illegal or put him in a bad light. I was a first concerned until I took a closer look. It was clean and did not draw a flag.

This video was actually loaded to show a friend of his!

TexMike
12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Is it only the NFL where it's illegal to leave your feet and rocket yourself into a guy?

Can't speak for the pros but there is no rule in our game that prevents "leaving your feet to rocket into a guy". However, when officials are trying to judge whether a hit was targeting the head or neck area of an opponent, that is one thing they look at, did the player leave his feet and "launch"? It is possible to launch and NOT have a high hit

gomeangreen
12-14-2010, 11:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZai5jiHSGM

here is a double--I love it when celina punts

DDBooger
12-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
I believe that is helmet to helmet! If he plans to play in the NFL, he might want to change his habit. It might save him some money! Just saying!!!! Looked shoulder/elbow to helmet to me. I put it in 720 and slowplayed it and didn't look like he got a lot of the shoulder and the way his head rifles back, I think it was a head shot. lol feels like we're going over the Zapruder film. lol

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/FCarrejo/shouldertohelmet.jpg

bobcat1
12-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Looks like his right shoulder and forearm go to high chest and left shoulder of kid on other team.

DDBooger
12-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Looks like his right shoulder and forearm go to high chest and left shoulder of kid on other team. See, I thought that too, but wouldn't physics dictate what is above reciprocate by coming forward? For instance a hit on someone in the chest you'd see the whiplash effect. His helmet yanks back and to the right after the hit. And just to be clear, I'm not calling the kid a dirty player. Sometimes these things happen, I doubt he was out there headhunting to injure someone. Likely was initiated through the chest to the helmet.

orange machine
12-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by gomeangreen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZai5jiHSGM

here is a double--I love it when celina punts

I think you mean when they field a punt. Its fun as a fan to watch because you know its coming and some poor kid is about to get rocked, but i must say if the coaches would point these things out in film session then it might not happen so much.

bobcat1
12-14-2010, 11:58 PM
See, I thought that too, but wouldn't physics dictate what is above reciprocate by coming forward? For instance a hit on someone in the chest you'd see the whiplash effect. His helmet yanks back and to the right after the hit. And just to be clear, I'm not calling the kid a dirty player. Sometimes these things happen, I doubt he was out there headhunting to injure someone. Likely was initiated through the chest to the helmet. What I saw was the player turning all the way around and that would indicate he was not hit straight on but outside the centerline that caused him to spin.. So upper chest right shoulder would have caused that reactionary spin.

orange machine
12-15-2010, 12:02 AM
What I saw was the player turning all the way around and that would indicate he was not hit straight on but outside the centerline that caused him to spin.. So upper chest right shoulder would have caused that reactionary spin.

In other words clean hit. You and booger shoud be instant replay officials for the nfl, great job men!

DDBooger
12-15-2010, 12:06 AM
What I saw was the player turning all the way around and that would indicate he was not hit straight on but outside the centerline that caused him to spin.. So upper chest right shoulder would have caused that reactionary spin. A head would follow the spin, his head shot back. Oh well, glad the other kid wasn't hurt. I imagine that Bobcat was salivating at what he saw.

LionFan72
12-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Bobcat1, you gotta be kidding me right.....you had trouble tackling something,

What the heck was it, a 747?

bobcat1
12-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by LionFan72
Bobcat1, you gotta be kidding me right.....you had trouble tackling something,

What the heck was it, a 747? Oh yeah. Several times I remember those fleet footed fellars would juke and I would be hugging air.