PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboy D reaching NEW lows

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2010, 11:23 AM
This is amazing

The Cowboys have 3 games left. In those 3 games, if they allow 40 points total (13.3 per game), they will have allowed the most points ever scored against a Cowboys team in a season. We should point out that 16 game seasons have only existed since 1978 so that we compare apples to apples.

51 years of football in Dallas, and the worse it has ever been around here is 405 points allowed (in 2004) and 30.8 Points Per Game against (accomplished by the expansion 1960 Cowboys squad).

Given they have allowed 28.2 PPG this season, they will need the Redskins or Cardinals to really light them up in the next few weeks to get both records (points allowed and points per game allowed), but this statistic has really snuck up on me.

Just look at the weekly scoring allowed this season: 13, 27, 13, 34, 24, 41, 35, 45, 20, 19, 30, 35, and 30. 28.2 ppg against.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/12/bob-sturms-morning-after-defen-1.html

Bullaholic
12-13-2010, 11:28 AM
My take, TXB, largely agrees with yours. I think 1/3 of the Dallas defense doesn't know what they're doing, 1/3 is trying their butts off, and 1/3 just doesn't care. 2/3 of that set of conditions will get you beat almost every game in the NFL.

crzyjournalist03
12-13-2010, 11:51 AM
I pin a lot of the defensive issues on the safety positions. We have two safeties who seem to prefer spending more time arguing with each other over coverage than actually playing. Their routine lapses are making Mike Jenkins and Terence Newman look a lot worse.

Farmersfan
12-13-2010, 12:06 PM
The sad thing about all this is that the defense plays pretty good during streaks. Last night they held a very good (#1) offense in check pretty much except for 210 yards in 4 big plays by Jackson!
The Cowboys have played the #1, #3, #4, #5, #11 and #15 offenses in the NFL in the last 7 weeks. Are these offenses ranked where they are because they played Dallas or did Dallas get hammered with a monster schedule against some great offenses this season?

Bullaholic
12-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I pin a lot of the defensive issues on the safety positions. We have two safeties who seem to prefer spending more time arguing with each other over coverage than actually playing. Their routine lapses are making Mike Jenkins and Terence Newman look a lot worse.

:thumbsup: Goes back to dedication and game preparation, crzy. I promise you that the Pats, Ravens, or Steelers safeties know the correct "what if" answers to almost anything offenses throw at them. Good safeties must have:

1. The mental capacity to be able to assimilate a ton of information on the other team's offense and personnel.

2. Be willing to live in the film room to sort out all the "what ifs".

3. Adequate physical ability, and use it correctly, coupled with aggressiveness that comes from the confidence that thorough, professional preparation and guidance from savvy coaching gives. Good safeties "act" in time to make a play---they don't "react" when it's too late.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
The sad thing about all this is that the defense plays pretty good during streaks. Last night they held a very good (#1) offense in check pretty much except for 210 yards in 4 big plays by Jackson!
The Cowboys have played the #1, #3, #4, #5, #11 and #15 offenses in the NFL in the last 7 weeks. Are these offenses ranked where they are because they played Dallas or did Dallas get hammered with a monster schedule against some great offenses this season?

in a 16 game schedule good chance your going to play top 10 teams in offense and defense alot.

GrTigers6
12-13-2010, 12:49 PM
The Cowboys have played the #1, #3, #4, #5, #11 and #15 offenses in the NFL in the last 7 weeks. Are these offenses ranked where they are because they played Dallas or did Dallas get hammered with a monster schedule against some great offenses this season? But they let the running game go wild when they needed a stop in the second half. It dont matter what you do the whole game if you give up scoring drives of 1,2, 5 plays.
I dont know if its coaching not making the right defensive calls or if its personell or just lack of effort. But something needs to change

peagle
12-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Cowboys are just about rock bottom this year!!!

Emerson1
12-13-2010, 02:31 PM
And?

What about the weeks before that when they gave up 27 to the Bears, 34 to the Titans, 24 to Minnesota and 41 to the Vikings?

Detroit just held Green Bay to 3 points, Dallas gave up 45.

GrTigers6
12-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
And?

What about the weeks before that when they gave up 27 to the Bears, 34 to the Titans, 24 to Minnesota and 41 to the Vikings?

Detroit just held Green Bay to 3 points, Dallas gave up 45. Yeah, Key word there is Detroit. That makes it even worse

Farmersfan
12-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
And?

Detroit just held Green Bay to 3 points, Dallas gave up 45.

And pretty much the same guys that were ranked #2 in the NFL last year. I'm pretty sure Hamblin and Carpenter weren't that big of a part of this defense. I can't explain it other than to say that in my opinion the Wade Philips mentality had a whole bunch of cocky players come into training camp with a OVER HYPED opinion of themselves. They had an interesting perspective on The Ticket today. With this team you have a starting spot based on your draft position or your salary! There is no open competition! But even if there were competition there doesn't seem to be backups capable of pushing these underacheivers out!!!! Kind of scary for future aspirations.
I saw a clip of Jerry on 60 minutes last night. When he was told that George Steinbrenner (Jerry's Idol) would fire Jerry as a GM, Jerry agreed with it. But apparently Jerry isn't smart enough to realize he needs to fire himself............................... I think that speaks tons!!!!

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2010, 04:00 PM
And pretty much the same guys that were ranked #2 in the NFL last year. I'm pretty sure Hamblin and Carpenter weren't that big of a part of this defense. I can't explain it other than to say that in my opinion the Wade Philips mentality had a whole bunch of cocky players come into training camp with a OVER HYPED opinion of themselves. They had an interesting perspective on The Ticket today. With this team you have a starting spot based on your draft position or your salary! There is no open competition! But even if there were competition there doesn't seem to be backups capable of pushing these underacheivers out!!!! Kind of scary for future aspirations.
I saw a clip of Jerry on 60 minutes last night. When he was told that George Steinbrenner (Jerry's Idol) would fire Jerry as a GM, Jerry agreed with it. But apparently Jerry isn't smart enough to realize he needs to fire himself............................... I think that speaks tons!!!!

I think Carpenter was alot more important to the nickel D that people think. That was a HUGE problem this season is the middle of the D on nickel downs

Farmersfan
12-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think Carpenter was alot more important to the nickel D that people think. That was a HUGE problem this season is the middle of the D on nickel downs

I think I agree! The LB's this season aren't very dominate. Sean Lee has a starting job as far as I am concerned. But of course if the past plays out in the future then Brooking will continue to get the start and continue to spare us all to death! :(