PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys QB Situation

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2010, 10:46 AM
I know Garrett is fighting for a job, but I really wish the Boys would THINK about starting McGee in one of if not both of the next two games

crzyjournalist03
12-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Given the conservative nature of the offense last night, I'm not sure they're running anything with Kitna that McGee couldn't do just as easily at this point.

JustAFan
12-13-2010, 11:13 AM
And he would give us a legitimate downfield threat that Kitna does not offer.

Farmersfan
12-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by JustAFan
And he would give us a legitimate downfield threat that Kitna does not offer.

2010 average yards per completion Kitna=7.5
2010 average yards per completion Romo=7.5

2010 longest completion for Kitna=72 yards.
2010 longest completion for Romo= 69 yards.

Career average yards per completion Kitna=6.7
Career average yards per completion Romo=8.0

Career longest completion for Romo=80 yards.
Career longest completion for Kitna=91 yards.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan

yards per is not a good read on how deep the routes are..a slant route thrown at 5 yards but taken 60 yards goes as 65 on the ypc

Now in saying that..it was not until Bryant was hurt that we saw Dallas abandon the deep game...as great as Kitna has been with Bryant, he seems to not be able to find Austin

RoyceTTU
12-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I know Garrett is fighting for a job, but I really wish the Boys would THINK about starting McGee in one of if not both of the next two games

I don't think it would hurt anything. I think we all can agree that Kitna isn't the future of the Cowboys. There is no chance of salvaging the season. Give him a shot, and see what happens. If nothing else, and he shows a flicker, it raises his value and could be traded at the very least. At the most, he shows a flicker, and is next years starting QB. If he dosn't show a flicker of hope, then he is well suited to be #2 or #3 for his career.

We will never know if he dosn't get a shot.

Farmersfan
12-13-2010, 11:29 AM

I would love to see McGee for the rest of the season. If anything it would probably give us a better draft pick. But I also am probably one of the few that think Romo needs to get his butt back in the game as soon as he can and let's see if he can lead this team any better. I think a decision needs to be made this season as to what direction they will go with the QB spot! I don't think they will ever acheive their potential until they can get their hands on the right QB!

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2010, 11:32 AM
. I think a decision needs to be made this season as to what direction they will go with the QB spot! I don't think they will ever acheive their potential until they can get their hands on the right QB!

It has been made..Romo is the Cowboy QB now and into the future lol

Farmersfan
12-13-2010, 11:36 AM
yards per is not a good read on how deep the routes are..a slant route thrown at 5 yards but taken 60 yards goes as 65 on the ypc

Now in saying that..it was not until Bryant was hurt that we saw Dallas abandon the deep game...as great as Kitna has been with Bryant, he seems to not be able to find Austin

It seems that Austin has regressed a lot since Romo went out! Even when he is thrown to he drops the ball a lot. Williams got a lot of flac for his drops over the last couple of years but Miles is #2 in the NFL this season in dropped passes that were catchable! The crew last night brought it up on the broadcast! I think Mile Austin has suffered the Tony Romo/Marion Barber syndrom of getting his big contract, hooking up with a star girlfriend and suddenly thinking he is the cat's meow!!!!!!

Farmersfan
12-13-2010, 11:40 AM
It has been made..Romo is the Cowboy QB now and into the future lol

Then we will continue to see what we have seen for 4 seasons! One of the most talented teams in the NFL that is also the most underachieving team in the NFL!
Perhaps a coach like a Jimmy Johnson type could catch lightening in a bottle with this talent for a season or two! But I doubt Jerry will hire a big name coach. I expect Garrett will get the HC job!

Bullaholic
12-13-2010, 11:41 AM
I would love to see McGee for the rest of the season. If anything it would probably give us a better draft pick. But I also am probably one of the few that think Romo needs to get his butt back in the game as soon as he can and let's see if he can lead this team any better. I think a decision needs to be made this season as to what direction they will go with the QB spot! I don't think they will ever acheive their potential until they can get their hands on the right QB!

As I have posted in several Romo threads, Farmer--I'm not convinced yet that Romo is a Super Bowl QB---but I don't think the jury is in yet saying definitively that he is not. Like it or not, we have got to see more of Romo under these improving team and coaching conditions, and be able to point the undisputed finger of respnsibility in his direction for enough losses, before the decision to replace him comes.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Then we will continue to see what we have seen for 4 seasons! One of the most talented teams in the NFL that is also the most underachieving team in the NFL!
Perhaps a coach like a Jimmy Johnson type could catch lightening in a bottle with this talent for a season or two! But I doubt Jerry will hire a big name coach. I expect Garrett will get the HC job!

yea cause Romo would make the D better..I like how Cris said it last night

the downfall of this team this year has been the D, not Romo, Not Kitna not the Oline, but simply the D

crzyjournalist03
12-13-2010, 11:47 AM
It seems that Austin has regressed a lot since Romo went out! Even when he is thrown to he drops the ball a lot. Williams got a lot of flac for his drops over the last couple of years but Miles is #2 in the NFL this season in dropped passes that were catchable! The crew last night brought it up on the broadcast! I think Mile Austin has suffered the Tony Romo/Marion Barber syndrom of getting his big contract, hooking up with a star girlfriend and suddenly thinking he is the cat's meow!!!!!!

Is it possible, maybe, just maybe, that Romo can make players around him better?

Maybe his passes are just a little more accurate, or just a little easier to catch?

crzyjournalist03
12-13-2010, 11:50 AM
wrong thread

Macarthur
12-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
As I have posted in several Romo threads, Farmer--I'm not convinced yet that Romo is a Super Bowl QB---but I don't think the jury is in yet saying definitively that he is not. Like it or not, we have got to see more of Romo under these improving team and coaching conditions, and be able to point the undisputed finger of respnsibility in his direction for enough losses, before the decision to replace him comes.

What does a "Super Bowl Quarterback" look like?

Is it Peyton Manning or Trent Dilfer?

JustAFan
12-13-2010, 12:13 PM

Sorry, I thought we were discussing McGee vs. Kitna. What does this have to do with that discussion? I never mentioned Romo. And the 72 yard completion for Kitna this year was mainly YAC, not the long ball.

If the Cowboys are going to keep McGee on the roster, give him a shot the next two games when the outcome does not make a difference.

Bullaholic
12-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
What does a "Super Bowl Quarterback" look like?

Is it Peyton Manning or Trent Dilfer?

You make a good point, Mac. A SB QB is any QB which has won one, regardless of career achievement. Unfortunately, the definition has been narrowed to this criteria, and several great NFL QB's, including Dan Marino, are not considered "validated" until they have a SB ring.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You make a good point, Mac. A SB QB is any QB which has won one, regardless of career achievement. Unfortunately, the definition has been narrowed to this criteria, and several great NFL QB's, including Dan Marino, are not considered "validated" until they have a SB ring.

agree 100% and I think that is why there is backlash on Romo Cowboy fans think well he has got us to the point of the play offs, now time for SB..and it just does not work that way.

Farmersfan
12-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Sorry, I thought we were discussing McGee vs. Kitna. What does this have to do with that discussion? I never mentioned Romo. And the 72 yard completion for Kitna this year was mainly YAC, not the long ball.

If the Cowboys are going to keep McGee on the roster, give him a shot the next two games when the outcome does not make a difference.

Sorry! You are correct. The thread was about Kitna and McGee. I was only showing that IF you think Kitna isn't a downfield threat then our FRANCHISE QB also isn't a downfield threat! So the same rationale you use towards Kitna would also apply for a McGee vs Romo arguement!!!!!

JustAFan
12-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Sorry! You are correct. The thread was about Kitna and McGee. I was only showing that IF you think Kitna isn't a downfield threat then our FRANCHISE QB also isn't a downfield threat! So the same rationale you use towards Kitna would also apply for a McGee vs Romo arguement!!!!!

You are 100% correct! And I would say the same thing if Romo was starting now.

GrTigers6
12-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I would love to see McGee for the rest of the season. If anything it would probably give us a better draft pick. But I also am probably one of the few that think Romo needs to get his butt back in the game as soon as he can and let's see if he can lead this team any better. I think a decision needs to be made this season as to what direction they will go with the QB spot! I don't think they will ever acheive their potential until they can get their hands on the right QB! I agree with you, If for no other reason to see how that collarbone is gonna be effected.

Macarthur
12-13-2010, 02:35 PM
It was pretty clear, even when Romo was in there, that the coaches have very little faith in the OL. Romo was throwing many more 3 step drops than he had in years previous.

PHOP
12-13-2010, 02:46 PM
The real problem is fans think Romo is good - Recommend Jerry Dumps him - Romo is average or slightly above at best

Macarthur
12-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by PHOP
The real problem is fans think Romo is good - Recommend Jerry Dumps him - Romo is average or slightly above at best

Yeah, well you're stupid. :p

GrTigers6
12-13-2010, 03:18 PM
The real problem is fans think Romo is good - Recommend Jerry Dumps him - Romo is average or slightly above at best If he finished the year like he started, which wasnt his best start, he would easily be in the top ten. out of 32 teams that is a whole lot better than average

Farmersfan
12-13-2010, 03:24 PM

He certainly has better than average numbers and winning percentage but it appears to me that he is a product of the team around him. I think that is the point! Kitna is proving that numbers are not that difficult with this team even when they are in total turmoil!!!!!! Perhaps I will be proven wrong eventually (and I hope so) but I do beleive that a lot of other QB's in the NFL would have gotten this team further than Romo has........

GrTigers6
12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
He certainly has better than average numbers and winning percentage but it appears to me that he is a product of the team around him. I think that is the point! Kitna is proving that numbers are not that difficult with this team even when they are in total turmoil!!!!!! Perhaps I will be proven wrong eventually (and I hope so) but I do beleive that a lot of other QB's in the NFL would have gotten this team further than Romo has........ Yeah, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, ANd so on. But we dont have them. Romo is the best QB out there that is worth the money and available. That is the whole problem. You get rid of romo for some hot shot qb that turns into a Ryan Leaf, or worse yet Derek Anderson

Farmersfan
12-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Yeah, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, ANd so on. But we dont have them. Romo is the best QB out there that is worth the money and available. That is the whole problem. You get rid of romo for some hot shot qb that turns into a Ryan Leaf, or worse yet Derek Anderson

All these teams had franchise QBs when they got Brady, Brees, and Manning and so on! Perhaps we can't find a better option than Romo right now! But there is certainly one absolute truth and that is we will never know if we dont' try!!!!!! I don't have a problem with us keeping Romo as the QB but I do think ownership is preventing the growth of this team by NOT trying to improve that position just like they are trying to improve every other position on the team!!!! It was the beginning of the end the day they made Romo the franchise! In Romo's career as starter in Dallas Jerry has continued to bring in talent after talent after talent to get this team over the hump but something in the makeup of the team or the leadership is holding it back! We all have our opinions of what that might be. I feel it is in a big part a lacking at the QB spot!!! Everything else has been addressed at least once. Perhaps if Jerry continues to bring in more and more talent Romo will finally get a title! But at some point it must happen dispite Romo, not because of Romo!

GrTigers6
12-13-2010, 09:16 PM
All these teams had franchise QBs when they got Brady, Brees, and Manning and so on! Perhaps we can't find a better option than Romo right now! But there is certainly one absolute truth and that is we will never know if we dont' try!!!!!! I don't have a problem with us keeping Romo as the QB but I do think ownership is preventing the growth of this team by NOT trying to improve that position just like they are trying to improve every other position on the team!!!! It was the beginning of the end the day they made Romo the franchise! In Romo's career as starter in Dallas Jerry has continued to bring in talent after talent after talent to get this team over the hump but something in the makeup of the team or the leadership is holding it back! We all have our opinions of what that might be. I feel it is in a big part a lacking at the QB spot!!! Everything else has been addressed at least once. Perhaps if Jerry continues to bring in more and more talent Romo will finally get a title! But at some point it must happen dispite Romo, not because of Romo! I agree about bringing someone in behind Romo to learn and be the back up when needed. The problem is there are no qb's that you are 100 % sure they will work. Its a toss up now days. Its kinda like hitting the lottery when you do come up with a "Aikman" Brees"Peyton" type of player. But like you said you dont know until you see them play.

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2010, 09:00 AM
All these teams had franchise QBs when they got Brady, Brees, and Manning and so on! !

SD and Indy did not have franchise QBs when they drafted Manning and Brees...in fact most teams drafting a QB in the first two rounds are not going to have a franchise QB in place

Brady situation of course very different.

JustAFan
12-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Remember where Romo came from - undrafted free agent. When he was tapped as the starter he was making the league minimum salary (or close to it). The ownership needs to recognize that they need a quality backup quarterback who can step up and be a starter when needed. Romo is above average as quarterback, but that is all. When the chips are down, he seems to fall apart. Or maybe it is the whole team, but the qb is supposed to be the leader, and he is not. Remember the Mexico trip he took a couple of years ago? He does not have the leadership skills - he might one day, but not yet.

Macarthur
12-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Romo is above average as quarterback, but that is all. When the chips are down, he seems to fall apart. Or maybe it is the whole team, but the qb is supposed to be the leader, and he is not. Remember the Mexico trip he took a couple of years ago? He does not have the leadership skills - he might one day, but not yet.

Good Lord. :(

LoboesWT
12-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Romo is a QB that needs a good running game. When the defense can pin their ears back he struggles. When he first got started the run game was more solid and he was more productive. Sidenote, stop dating celebs and go to the Peyton Manning school of discipline and he will be just fine.

crzyjournalist03
12-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
Romo is a QB that needs a good running game. When the defense can pin their ears back he struggles. When he first got started the run game was more solid and he was more productive. Sidenote, stop dating celebs and go to the Peyton Manning school of discipline and he will be just fine.

Kind of like Peyton Manning needs a good running game? Until last week, he had more INTs than TDs over the last month and a half.

LoboesWT
12-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Kind of like Peyton Manning needs a good running game? Until last week, he had more INTs than TDs over the last month and a half.

How many of his INT's are the WR's fault. Peyton is not going to place blame, but those new receivers are not running the routes the way they are suppose to. Yes all QB's benefit from a running game.

crzyjournalist03
12-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
How many of his INT's are the WR's fault. Peyton is not going to place blame, but those new receivers are not running the routes the way they are suppose to. Yes all QB's benefit from a running game.

Can't speak for all of Manning's INTs because I haven't watched all of their games, but if you're going to go that route, more than half of Romo's INTs could be put on receivers.

LoboesWT
12-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Can't speak for all of Manning's INTs because I haven't watched all of their games, but if you're going to go that route, more than half of Romo's INTs could be put on receivers.

Agree, Dallas as a whole is just not performing right now with the talent they have. Not just the QB's fault. Romo would still benefit from avoiding the limelight off the field IMO and Bill Parcells as well.

Macarthur
12-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Aikman rarely singles out QBs, but he was very critical of the throws Peyton made against Dallas.

Your point is flawed because every QB is better when they have a good running game.

I still don't think you've clarified your point.

BullsFan
12-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Aikman rarely singles out QBs, but he was very critical of the throws Peyton made against Dallas.

Not germane to the topic, but I have to wonder if we were listening to the same broadcast. I thought Troy was so far up Peyton's you-know-what I just about had to turn the sound off. I love me some Troy, but he's gone so far overboard trying not to be partial to the Cowboys that I find him just about unlistenable.

bobcat1
12-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Not germane to the topic, but I have to wonder if we were listening to the same broadcast. I thought Troy was so far up Peyton's you-know-what I just about had to turn the sound off. I love me some Troy, but he's gone so far overboard trying not to be partial to the Cowboys that I find him just about unlistenable. +1. It's almost like he does not want to find any way to say something that would put them in a good light for fear it will look better than anything he accomplished when he played. (if that makes any sense)

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Not germane to the topic, but I have to wonder if we were listening to the same broadcast. I thought Troy was so far up Peyton's you-know-what I just about had to turn the sound off. I love me some Troy, but he's gone so far overboard trying not to be partial to the Cowboys that I find him just about unlistenable.

I heard him talk about Manning's throws especially the two pick six..one of him said that is a throw a rookie would make. And he mentioned many times that Manning needed to quit trying to win the game on every throw

Macarthur
12-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I heard him talk about Manning's throws especially the two pick six..one of him said that is a throw a rookie would make. And he mentioned many times that Manning needed to quit trying to win the game on every throw

Yes.

And Aikman is in a no win situation. I think he's done an admirable job of trying to be as objective as possible.

Farmersfan
12-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Your point is flawed because every QB is better when they have a good running game.

I still don't think you've clarified your point.

I'm thinking Aikman couldn't hold Mannings jock strap much less be critical of Mannings play! Even on his best day he wasn't close to Peyton in ability! And I liked Aikman as a QB! Not so much as a commendator!

Emerson1
12-15-2010, 01:47 PM
His 3 rings allow him to criticize.

crzyjournalist03
12-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
His 3 rings allow him to criticize.

:iagree:

At the end of the day, they're both going to be Hall of Famers, but Aikman has more rings.

RoyceTTU
12-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Yes.

And Aikman is in a no win situation. I think he's done an admirable job of trying to be as objective as possible.

Not sure if you yall agree or not, but this year he is 10X better than last year or the previous years. I felt like he was taking every pot shot at the cowboys he could.

Macarthur
12-15-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking Aikman couldn't hold Mannings jock strap much less be critical of Mannings play! Even on his best day he wasn't close to Peyton in ability! And I liked Aikman as a QB! Not so much as a commendator!

Crazy talk. How do you quantify 'holding Manning's jock strap'? Does 3 SB rings and a SB MVP not give him the right to analyze the position of QB? Just because Manning is one of the best to ever play the position, doesn't mean that he doesn't make mistakes.

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2010, 03:11 PM
So a color guy must be better than anyone they talk about? If that is the case there can only be about 5 color guys to be used by everyone then

I wont even get into the idea that Aikman is not on the same level or higher

RoyceTTU
12-15-2010, 03:13 PM
So a color guy must be better than anyone they talk about?

Where does that leave G2 :doh: :doh: :D :D

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Where does that leave G2 :doh: :doh: :D :D

yea kinda what I was thinking LOL

Farmersfan
12-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Crazy talk. How do you quantify 'holding Manning's jock strap'? Does 3 SB rings and a SB MVP not give him the right to analyze the position of QB? Just because Manning is one of the best to ever play the position, doesn't mean that he doesn't make mistakes.

The ONLY advantage Aikman had on Peyton Manning was playing with Emmitt Smith and Micheal Irvin which earned him 3 SB rings! Aikmans numbers were fairly average for his career. I think his biggest attribute was that he really shined when it counted most. Some of his best games were the BIGGEST games!

Troy Akiman career QB ratings: 82.
Troy Aikman career completion percentage: 61%.
Troy Aikman average TD's/ints per season: 14/12.
Troy Aikman avg yards per game: 200.

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2010, 03:38 PM
The ONLY advantage Aikman had on Peyton Manning was playing with Emmitt Smith and Micheal Irvin which earned him 3 SB rings! Aikmans numbers were fairly average for his career. I think his biggest attribute was that he really shined when it counted most. Some of his best games were the BIGGEST games!

Still not sure how that pertains to Aikman as a color guy

Pendragon13
12-15-2010, 03:43 PM
This is just my opinion..take it as you will.

I think McGee needs to start for the remaining games so we can see if there is anything to build on. If it's clear that McGee won't be the future then he should be traded, and JJ should do everything he can to land Ryan Mallett in the draft. Romo can be good no doubt, but we have to look to the future and have an insurance policy in case Romo proves that he can't get it done as a leader no matter how many chances he gets. The QB isn't the only problem this team has however...somebody needs to take a hard look at the D position by position.

Farmersfan
12-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Still not sure how that pertains to Aikman as a color guy

It doesn't!

Maroon87
12-15-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm thinking Aikman couldn't hold Mannings jock strap much less be critical of Mannings play!

Preposterous statement.

Farmersfan
12-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Preposterous statement.

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
The QB isn't the only problem this team has however...somebody needs to take a hard look at the D position by position.

ur right..because QB is NOT a problem for Dallas

It is funny..everyone says QB is all about the wins..stats are pretty but the wins matter...Well Romo is 39-20 as a starter his win % is top 5 active..sSo lets see why people say that is not valid

His play off record..1-3...yep is not good...ever go back at look at the first play off games of all the SB winning QBs? Not everyone zipped right theu their first playoff games and won a SB..

Here are some of em
Terry Bradshaw started 1-2
Peyton Manning 1-3
Drew Brees 1-2
Eli Maning 1-2
John Elway 1-2

Others scream well he is only 39-20 because of the talent around him

Uhh ever see the talent around Terry Bradshaw? The talent around Joe Montana? Around Troy Aikman? etc etc etc

Farmersfan
12-15-2010, 04:02 PM

Uhh ever see the talent around Terry Bradshaw? The talent around Joe Montana? Around Troy Aikman? etc etc etc

Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana and Troy Aikman combined for 9 Superbowls when they got the kind of talent Romo has had since day #!!!!!

ronwx5x
12-15-2010, 04:04 PM
So now you're taking up for Romo as QB?:confused:

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana and Troy Aikman combined for 9 Superbowls when they got the kind of talent Romo has had since day #!!!!!

Dude these Cowboys have not had anywhere CLOSE to the talent the Steelers of the 70's the 49ers of the 80's or the Cowboys of the 90's had...NO WHERE CLOSE

Farmersfan
12-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Here are some of em
Peyton Manning 1-3
Drew Brees 1-2
Eli Maning 1-2
John Elway 1-2

Terry Bradshaw won 5 games his first season as a starter!
Joe Montana won 2 games his first season as a starter!
Troy Aikman won 1 game his first season as a starter!

All 3 franchises were in rebuilding mode. Romo took over a 9-7 team that was right on the cusp of becoming one the most talented teams in the league! And they have added tons of talent every season since then. In fact the team went 13-3 the next season!!!!!!

Farmersfan
12-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Dude these Cowboys have not had anywhere CLOSE to the talent the Steelers of the 70's the 49ers of the 80's or the Cowboys of the 90's had...NO WHERE CLOSE

The 2008 Dallas Cowboys put 11 players in the Pro Bowl!!!!! No other team has ever done that! In any decade.
Perhaps the team wasn't as talented as those pre-free agency teams for obvious reasons. You can spin it however you want to spin it to make your point but it is still true that according to the people who vote for Pro Bowlersl, that team was way more talented than their peers! You can't compare the 2008 Cowboys to those other teams in talent. but you can compare them to the rest of the NFL in 2008! Perhaps they should have discussed it with YOU before they voted but they didn't! The vote stands!!!!

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Terry Bradshaw won 5 games his first season as a starter!
Joe Montana won 2 games his first season as a starter!
Troy Aikman won 1 game his first season as a starter!

All 3 franchises were in rebuilding mode. Romo took over a 9-7 team that was right on the cusp of becoming one the most talented teams in the league! And they have added tons of talent every season since then. In fact the team went 13-3 the next season!!!!!!

What does how many games they won in first game have to do with their play off record to began their career..u dont think the Cowboys of the 90's got more talented? Or the 49ers of the 80's lol

guess what Romo took over a team that had been 6-10, 9-7 before he became QB

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2010, 04:39 PM
The 2008 Dallas Cowboys put 11 players in the Pro Bowl!!!!! No other team has ever done that! In any decade.
Perhaps the team wasn't as talented as those pre-free agency teams for obvious reasons. You can spin it however you want to spin it to make your point but it is still true that according to the people who vote for Pro Bowlersl, that team was way more talented than their peers! You can't compare the 2008 Cowboys to those other teams in talent. but you can compare them to the rest of the NFL in 2008! Perhaps they should have discussed it with YOU before they voted but they didn't! The vote stands!!!!

Pro bowl..lol the worst barometer of talent is the Pro bowl lol

First off Pro Bowl has nothing to do with talent..it is about who is having a good year that year

Farmersfan
12-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Pro bowl..lol the worst barometer of talent is the Pro bowl lol

Of course it is!!! What the heck was I thinking???????;)

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Of course it is!!! What the heck was I thinking???????;)

You honestly think that the Pro Bowl is a good measuring stick? I mean I am seriously asking

Farmersfan
12-15-2010, 04:50 PM
What does how many games they won in first game have to do with their play off record to began their career..u dont think the Cowboys of the 90's got more talented? Or the 49ers of the 80's lol

guess what Romo took over a team that had been 6-10, 9-7 before he became QB

It shows what kind of teams these QBs took over! Romo took over a PLAYOFF caliber team (9-7 with a terrible QB the year before) and did NOTHING with them in over 4 years! Those other QBs took over very, very poor teams and grew with them to become playoff caliber teams!

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2010, 04:56 PM
It shows what kind of teams these QBs took over! Romo took over a PLAYOFF caliber team (9-7 with a terrible QB the year before) and did NOTHING with them in over 4 years! Those other QBs took over very, very poor teams and grew with them to become playoff caliber teams!

Romo took over a team that had been 30-34 the 4 years before him with one play off apperance

In the 4 years since..Romo is 39-20 with 3 play off apperances

In those 4 years since Romo was starter in games he did not start
the Cowboys are 4-7..So again..if the talent around Romo was soooooo great I would think that talent could carry the team when he was not playing.

Macarthur
12-15-2010, 05:05 PM

You truly are insane.

You missed my point. I never said Aikman is better. I even said Manning was prob the best to ever play the position.

The point, as others here have made, is that it's completely asinine to say that someone like Aikman is not qualified to critique Manning's play.

Pendragon13
12-15-2010, 05:24 PM
ur right..because QB is NOT a problem for Dallas

It is funny..everyone says QB is all about the wins..stats are pretty but the wins matter...Well Romo is 39-20 as a starter his win % is top 5 active..sSo lets see why people say that is not valid

His play off record..1-3...yep is not good...ever go back at look at the first play off games of all the SB winning QBs? Not everyone zipped right theu their first playoff games and won a SB..

Here are some of em
Peyton Manning 1-3
Drew Brees 1-2
Eli Maning 1-2
John Elway 1-2

Uhh ever see the talent around Terry Bradshaw? The talent around Joe Montana? Around Troy Aikman? etc etc etc If you read the rest of my post, I wasn't questioning Romo's playing ability (although the long homerun ball is still suspect) but rather his leadership skills. Instead of rallying the troops, he seems to withdraw and pout when things are going bad in a game..

Again, just my opinion.;)

NateDawg39
12-15-2010, 05:25 PM
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg109/MrsTebow15/Miscellaneous/failure.jpg

TheDOCTORdre
12-15-2010, 05:38 PM

its apple and oranges comparing aikman to manning though when it comes to stats based on the type of offenses both teams run. Jimmy Johnson has said on numerous occasions that Aikman statistically was a victim of the system they ran due to them running the ball so well. Not my words but the words of the coach

GrTigers6
12-15-2010, 05:54 PM
It shows what kind of teams these QBs took over! Romo took over a PLAYOFF caliber team (9-7 with a terrible QB the year before) and did NOTHING with them in over 4 years! Those other QBs took over very, very poor teams and grew with them to become playoff caliber teams! So your argument is that romo is good because of the talent around him. But he took over a team that was borderline 500 the year before and made them a 13-3 team with the number 1 seed in the nfc the very next year and your saying it wasnt him but the talent around him. Didnt Bledsoe have the same talent when he played?
I really dont see you argument here.
The presence of Romo has definitly helped the overall offense since the loss of aikman.
His only problem for me is trying to force a ball when he can run for the first. when he did that he was great.

Farmersfan
12-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
So your argument is that romo is good because of the talent around him. But he took over a team that was borderline 500 the year before and made them a 13-3 team with the number 1 seed in the nfc the very next year and your saying it wasnt him but the talent around him. Didnt Bledsoe have the same talent when he played?
I really dont see you argument here.
The presence of Romo has definitly helped the overall offense since the loss of aikman.
His only problem for me is trying to force a ball when he can run for the first. when he did that he was great.

Basically Tony Romo had ONE good season. He took over a 9-7 team and improved it by going 13-4 the next season. He got his big contract and the team has gone 3 games over .500 since!!!!! The Cowboys are 19-16 since 2008 with Tony as the starter. Let's stop the nonsense!

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Basically Tony Romo had ONE good season. He took over a 9-7 team and improved it by going 13-4 the next season. He got his big contract and the team has gone 3 games over .500 since!!!!! The Cowboys are 19-16 since 2008 with Tony as the starter. Let's stop the nonsense!

Man that sounds terrible..until u realize until this albatross of a season it was 19-10 ..and it is actually 20-15 since the 13-3 season

GrTigers6
12-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Man that sounds terrible..until u realize until this albatross of a season it was 19-10 ..and it is actually 20-15 since the 13-3 season And to add to that Mr wade phillips took over then too. And so started the downfall with discipline and all the other issues he brought on to this team

Farmersfan
12-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Man that sounds terrible..until u realize until this albatross of a season it was 19-10 ..and it is actually 20-15 since the 13-3 season

Oh ok! That's better then!! :rolleyes:

Txbroadcaster
12-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Oh ok! That's better then!! :rolleyes:

my point was

Romo has not been a near .500 QB after the 13-3 season

8-5 08

11-5 09

so to pretend that Romo has had one good season is crazy..last year he had an amazing season heck the 08 season where people complain about his play Romo was still top 10 in QB rating

Yes this year sucked..but I think ANYONE who truly looks at this season with a non biased eye will realize the defense, lack of running game, lack of consistent OL, penalties play was the reason Dallas started out bad..was Romo perfect, of course not but his play kept Dallas in so many games early that if the TEAM would have elimnated stupid mistakes that the season would be different

Farmersfan
12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
my point was

Romo has not been a near .500 QB after the 13-3 season

8-5 08

11-5 09

8-5 08

11-5 09

1-5 10

1-2 playoffs

21-17 Total. How much closer to a .500 QB can you get????
:rolleyes:

GrTigers6
12-16-2010, 01:15 PM
8-5 08

11-5 09

1-5 10

1-2 playoffs

:rolleyes: But how many of those 5 losses were they in position to win and the defense gave it up. I'm think at least 3 if not 4

crzyjournalist03
12-16-2010, 01:28 PM
8-5 08

11-5 09

1-5 10

1-2 playoffs

:rolleyes:

how close to a .500 team were the Texas Rangers this year?

Their winning percentage in 2010 is almost identical to Tony Romo's in those seasons you just listed.

BullsFan
12-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
+1. It's almost like he does not want to find any way to say something that would put them in a good light for fear it will look better than anything he accomplished when he played. (if that makes any sense)

Someone told me that when he first started out broadcasting, people rode him a little bit for being too partial to the Cowboys. Since then, he's gone overboard going the other way. I don't remember him being too partial, but it could explain things. At least, it could explain things in a way that doesn't make me quite as unhappy with his broadcasts.

(Hoping to deflect from the ENDLESS 'discussions' about Tony Romo's worth as a QB in which every one says the same thing over and over and over and OVER again. This time I managed not to get pulled in.

Yet. ;) )

NateDawg39
12-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Someone told me that when he first started out broadcasting, people rode him a little bit for being too partial to the Cowboys. Since then, he's gone overboard going the other way. I don't remember him being too partial, but it could explain things. At least, it could explain things in a way that doesn't make me quite as unhappy with his broadcasts.

(Hoping to deflect from the ENDLESS 'discussions' about Tony Romo's worth as a QB in which every one says the same thing over and over and over and OVER again. This time I managed not to get pulled in.

Yet. ;) ) Hey what is your opinion on Tony Romo the QB for the Dallas Cowboys? :D

BullsFan
12-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Hey what is your opinion on Tony Romo the QB for the Dallas Cowboys? :D

Technically John Kitna is the QB now.:p

NateDawg39
12-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Technically John Kitna is the QB now.:p Technically so is Stephen Mcgee :)

BullsFan
12-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Technically so is Stephen Mcgee :)

Here are Kitna's stats

Passes Completed
1999 NFL 270 (9)
2001 NFL 313 (8)
2003 NFL 324 (5)
2006 NFL 372 (1/23)
2007 NFL 355 (5/43)
Active 2634 (8)