PDA

View Full Version : Check out my dogs wheel chair,

Looking4number8
12-12-2010, 05:00 PM
video of my dog that got hit by a bus just a little over 3 weeks ago. I had hoped his legs would work again but it appears they are gone. Built this yesterday and working pretty good so far. I am sure I still have some bugs to work out and would love any suggestions anybody has.

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/ivan1961/th_sluggerinwheelchair.jpg (http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/ivan1961/?action=view&current=sluggerinwheelchair.mp4)

LH Panther Mom
12-12-2010, 09:49 PM
That's awesome! You did a GREAT job. :)

orange machine
12-13-2010, 01:03 AM
That's great I'm sure the pup appreciates it alot. Much better than dragging his butt.

Yoe_09
12-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Good Work! :clap:

NateDawg39
12-13-2010, 04:03 PM
That makes me sad :(

I hate it when animals (especially cute dogs) get hurt!

But very good work!!

Ranger Mom
12-13-2010, 04:39 PM
That is awesome!!!

I saw an episode of "The Dog Whisperer" where the owner had made their dog several versions of those and the dog was terrified of them. Your dog looks to be doing GREAT in it!!!

Looking4number8
12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That is awesome!!!

I saw an episode of "The Dog Whisperer" where the owner had made their dog several versions of those and the dog was terrified of them. Your dog looks to be doing GREAT in it!!!
He is still a little confuesd. He does good at times then the next time he sits still in it. I think it depends on where I place him in it. I will get it figured out. I would like to be able to keep him in it all day and him be able to lay down and get rest but he keeps getting stuck trying to use the doggy door. We have a long road ahead but I have high hopes for him chasing he mailman again soon...

Thanks for all the props

defense51
12-16-2010, 04:33 PM
awesome! lucky dog

SintonFan
12-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Looks pretty good!

Some thoughts to help:
What did you use to make it?
You might make a rigid frame using PVC(1/2" or so...) it's cheap, light-weight and pretty tough for that small a dog when glued together. The wheels look like from the bottom of a baby stroller. Not a bad choice there because they are large and will help him with rolling over rougher areas. A PVC frame could easily be attached to those wheels. If those wear out then skate board wheels(or good sized casters) might be an option because of their durability and relatively low weight. Casters would be easier to affix to the frame.
It looks like you did a good job attaching that frame to his harness.

I hope this helps and your dog has a very good owner.
:clap:

Looking4number8
12-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Looks pretty good!

Some thoughts to help:
What did you use to make it?
You might make a rigid frame using PVC(1/2" or so...) it's cheap, light-weight and pretty tough for that small a dog when glued together. The wheels look like from the bottom of a baby stroller. Not a bad choice there because they are large and will help him with rolling over rougher areas. A PVC frame could easily be attached to those wheels. If those wear out then skate board wheels(or good sized casters) might be an option because of their durability and relatively low weight. Casters would be easier to affix to the frame.
It looks like you did a good job attaching that frame to his harness.

I hope this helps and your dog has a very good owner.
:clap:

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at pvc but decided on the copper tubing. It is pretty light weight too but the next one i build might be out of PVC instead. I did use stroller wheels, I was able to buy a used stroller for two bucks... it does not get much cheaper than that.

The main problem I am having is I am not sure how comfortable the staps that hold him up are. Being a male dog, I can not make it out of solid material or he will not be able to uninate while in the chair.

I am also trying to figure a way to make some sort or drag pad or small stand with rollers for inside the house. I have hard wood floors and no carpet so it would be easy for him to slide around inside. Now he is getting a few small sores for dragging his back end. I would like to prevent that

SintonFan
12-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at pvc but decided on the copper tubing. It is pretty light weight too but the next one i build might be out of PVC instead. I did use stroller wheels, I was able to buy a used stroller for two bucks... it does not get much cheaper than that.

The main problem I am having is I am not sure how comfortable the staps that hold him up are. Being a male dog, I can not make it out of solid material or he will not be able to uninate while in the chair.

I am also trying to figure a way to make some sort or drag pad or small stand with rollers for inside the house. I have hard wood floors and no carpet so it would be easy for him to slide around inside. Now he is getting a few small sores for dragging his back end. I would like to prevent that

Sorry for getting back so late. Holidays are always so busy.

I think using a simple harness can/will help for his outside set-up. He should have clearance for no.1 and still be able to do no.2.

For inside, with no carpet, that is different. Maybe a low profile set-up with small casters might work? Really, that is tough. I found this on a simple search that might be able to help you: How to make a doggie wheelchair (http://www.ehow.com/how_6570807_homemade-wheelchairs-little-dogs.html)

Let me know if I am able to help.:)