PDA

View Full Version : DII State Championship - Carthage (13-2) vs Coldspring (14-1)

Pages : [1] 2

WOS87
12-11-2010, 03:26 AM
Who wins?

Dawgdaze
12-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Hadn't studies this team enough to know yet but I did see them on FSSW High School Final Score show. They looked a lot like Carthage. This may be a tough game. I'm not going to let the fact that they lost the first game of the season to Kirbyville throw me because they came back to oust Kirbyville from the playoffs. Nor will I let the fact that they beat a now proven weak Crockett Team by 1 point in an offensive shootout snare me either, because it seems this team has found 'something' to make it to the State Championship and defy the odds. I'm going to hold my tongue any further until I get a chance to study them more.

KVILLE_GRAD
12-11-2010, 04:59 AM
they dropped week one to kirbyville without gilbert. but in the playoffs they pulled off a 20-8 deficit to win 27-20. been watching them close....

imo they are going to beat carthage.

and also imo i think carthage beat the odds a lot more than coldspring did.

buckeyebob
12-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by KVILLE_GRAD
they dropped week one to kirbyville without gilbert. but in the playoffs they pulled off a 20-8 deficit to win 27-20. been watching them close....

Boy, are you in for a shock...you're starting to sound like Brownwood & we know what happened to them.

cowboyandchrist
12-11-2010, 08:42 AM

Let me help you if I can. Cold springs 42 Crocket 41. Tatum 49 Crocket 0. Carthage 49 Cold Springs 28. Will be another great game to see. The speed from the East is just plain hard to deal with.

unclebeebeep
12-11-2010, 08:59 AM
congrats yall both deserve to be here

lostaussie
12-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by cowboyandchrist
Let me help you if I can. Cold springs 42 Crocket 41. Tatum 49 Crocket 0. Carthage 49 Cold Springs 28. Will be another great game to see. The speed from the East is just plain hard to deal with. Don't think Coldspring is the same team as earlier in the year. I think they have found the answers and it seems to be working for them. And......lol......I would pretty much consider Coldspring to be from the east!!

griff
12-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
Boy, are you in for a shock...you're starting to sound like Brownwood & we know what happened to them.
No, sir. There has been only a small representation of Coldspring fans and comments leading up to this week's championship game. Most people on3ADL know nothing about Coldspring. Someone talking proud of Coldspring is absolutely no comparison to the season-long chest-thumping and "invincible" talk we've heard about Brownwood. Get real, dude!

I posted on a thread two weeks ago that for those who are not familiar with Coldspring...think Carthage. They are very similar. Coldspring is a big, physical team that will/has run over most teams. They have a stud RB, too. What's been the biggest surprise, though, is that their defense has been pretty dang good. They shut down Kirbyville in the second half of that game and stymied Wimberly the whole game. In my opinion, they are slightly better than Carthage on defense, with the offenses being even. If Coldspring doesn't turn over the ball, I think they'll defeat Carthage in a nailbiter. For the record, I'm not from Coldspring or connected to their school in any way. Just a fan and an outside observer.

the genious
12-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Coldspring defense is awesome!!! The offense controls clock then busts big plays... That allows there defense to stay fresh.... Very impressive solid team
Coldspring 30
Carthrage 21

garciap77
12-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by the genious
Coldspring defense is awesome!!! The offense controls clock then busts big plays... That allows there defense to stay fresh.... Very impressive solid team
Coldspring 30
Carthrage 21

:ditto:

Except Carthrage 30 Coldspring 21!!!!! Missed that on your post!

oldtownag
12-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Dang, looks like we don't have a chance again. :doh:

trojandad
12-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Let me help you if I can. Cold springs 42 Crocket 41. Tatum 49 Crocket 0. Carthage 49 Cold Springs 28. Will be another great game to see. The speed from the East is just plain hard to deal with.

it will be a great game, and if you guys put 49 on us, God bless you, you'll sure be the first in these playoffs....my BIG regret is we didn't face you guys last year after that game with lorena....i would have loved to have seen that team....

you guys may win, and you deserve all your accolades for the b'wood win, but if the thought is of hanging almost 50 on this defense, it wouldnt be one of those "mortgage gambling" ideas....

pirate4state
12-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by oldtownag

we already have one Rocket, don't be so sensitive. i can not wait to watch this game. i've never seen either team play, so it will be a treat. i'm hoping for a good, close game. make it happen! :D

trojandad
12-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by oldtownag

weknow that feeling, brother.......the game with the teams that have no business here....lol

the genious
12-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
:ditto:

Except Carthrage 30 Coldspring 21!!!!! Missed that on your post!
That could be the case lol never seen carthrage but it seems as if these r 2 very very similar teams

Pudlugger
12-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Well I'm impressed by both these teams. It is a toss up but I'll go ahead and take Coldspring for the following reasons:
1) Carthage won the tougher game last night and is ripe for a let down against the relative newcomer Trojans(just like La Grange in 2001 beating favorite Giddings in the semi and sleep walking into the final losing 14-11 to Commerce despite a 17-4 margin in 1st downs...having 6 turn overs:eek: )
2) Winning a State Championship takes luck in addition to talent and winning three in a row takes even more luck so maybe the Trojans get lucky this time.
3) TrojanDad is just a real good guy so good Karma goes to Coldspring.:D

RealDawgFan
12-11-2010, 01:24 PM
That could be the case lol never seen carthrage but it seems as if these r 2 very very similar teams

Hey, genious... its CARTHAGE! not carthrage!

wimbo_pro
12-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Coldspring is THE best defense I have seen since Gainseville 05....and of course our own Code Red of the same year. They are for real, dont doubt that for a second. Their offense CAN be stopped, or at least slowed down, as we were able to figure it out in the 2nd half (only scored 6 on us). But it was their defense that did us in. Beware.

trojandad
12-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Well I'm impressed by both these teams. It is a toss up but I'll go ahead and take Coldspring for the following reasons:
1) Carthage won the tougher game last night and is ripe for a let down against the relative newcomer Trojans(just like La Grange in 2001 beating favorite Giddings in the semi and sleep walking into the final losing 14-11 to Commerce despite a 17-4 margin in 1st downs...having 6 turn overs:eek: )
2) Winning a State Championship takes luck in addition to talent and winning three in a row takes even more luck so maybe the Trojans get lucky this time.
3) TrojanDad is just a real good guy so good Karma goes to Coldspring.:D

thanks, pud, was missing you out here.....glad you were watching....

i'll still believe that our 2003 team that you guys stopped was the best team we fielded, maybe ever, but for sure since 1992....people awe at 2 - 1000 yd rushers, we had four then, and each in the backfield every play since we ran the wishbone....you guys played a great defensive game after we took the lead in the 1st, the coaching staff cratered internally that night in a way best saved for fiction books....if we would have had the internal calm and support from the powers that be that this team has, it would have been fun to watch.....

i hope all is well with your son, my graduates with his biology degree next saturday after the big game fri night......:D

the genious
12-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by RealDawgFan

Sorry gosh! Lol haha (spelling not strong point)

WOS87
12-11-2010, 03:02 PM

Let me point out some much more recent scores.

Week 10
(D1 State Finalist) Chapel Hill 38
Athens 35

Regional Playoffs
Coldspring 44
Athens 14

...and earlier on

Chapel Hill 46
Carthage 14

I don't think people are trying to put down Carthage (you guys have earned and deserve tons of respect and you have it) so Carthage fans don't be so sensitive. I think people are just trying to say don't underestimate Coldspring and expect to roll right over them. That's what WO-S did with unranked Paris when we were going for 3 in a row in 1988 and we got zapped 13-31.

pirate4state
12-11-2010, 03:06 PM
What IF Coldspring wins? And by win, I mean put it on Carthage, {not saying they will} but what IF they do? :eek: :eek:

I'm looking forward to this game! Where exactly is Coldspring?

lulu
12-11-2010, 03:07 PM

that's what I thought about Henderson too but they proved me wrong. I did not think they were nearly as stable through the season as Chapel Hill was so I was a little shocked at the beginning of the game last night.

I know nothing about coldspring. Have to do some homework before I can predict but of course I'm pulling for our 16 3A opponents to 3peat.

trojandad
12-11-2010, 03:07 PM
the 2nd best thing that happened to me last night, after watching a winning game, was the news from a former coach in coldspring letting me know that he knew of a current head coach looking at a tract of land to build on......NOW if we could figure out a way to keep the def coordinator.....i have a feeling after this years showing he's gonna get as many offers as he can handle.....

WOS87
12-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
What IF Coldspring wins? And by win, I mean put it on Carthage, {not saying they will} but what IF they do? :eek: :eek:

Coldspring is Northeast of Houston, maybe 50 miles away from being considered true East Texas

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/3a/2010/3aregion32010.gif

pirate4state
12-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
Coldspring is Northeast of Houston, maybe 50 miles away from being considered true East Texas

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/3a/2010/3aregion32010.gif :thumbsup: awesome, thanks!

trojandad
12-11-2010, 03:17 PM

coldspring is a small town (pop 681 on the sign) on the east shore of lake livingston in san jacinto county.....sparcely populated, no industry whatsoever, the very definition of a bedroom community.....no car sales, 1 grocery store, only fast food is a subway thats gone thru 3 owners just to survive....majority of the county occupied with state and federal national forests (undeveloped), living on the lake made it a great place to raise two boys, never locked our doors at night, no need......oakhurst is an even smaller bump in the road with nothing there (one closed down convenience store) 20 miles from coldspring, its only claim to fame is being the home of anna nicole's smith half brother working at a bait shop there.....(his wife of twin boys worked for me as a nanny for a while)......the difference between the environments of coldspring compared to b'wood, carthage and even wimberley makes comparisons of hickory vs indianapolis......

is why they enter each game understanding why people can't see them even competing.......

Aesculus gilmus
12-11-2010, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WOS87
[B]Coldspring is Northeast of Houston, maybe 50 miles away from being considered true East Texas

It's always been true East Texas to me. It's in the Piney Woods. In fact, it's right there by the Sam Houston National Forest. If you're in the pines, by definition you're in East Texas. That's my take anyhow.

WOS87
12-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Coldspring is a tiny town in the no-man's land of the extreme edges of Southeast Texas, East Texas and suburban Houston so it has historically gotten very little coverage since none of the three areas have really ever claimed them. Depending on their district alignment they switch between all three. Currently their district is a Houston area district.

Having done weekly score updates for the past several years I will say that that area is by far the most difficult from which to get score updates with El Paso a close 2nd.

slickarick
12-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Support from Henderson, Going to be another member of 16 3A getting Crowned.

44INAROW
12-11-2010, 11:55 PM

If Coldspring wins - that means Brownwood got beat by a team with 3 losses ;)

sorry, that one just slipped out

I predict Carthage wins by 13

pirate4state
12-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

:D :D :D

and that team lost by 1, ONE to Graham last year for Pete's sake!!!

wimbo_pro
12-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

I am getting the impression you are enjoying this more than me!!!!

Keith7
12-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Coldspring is a tiny town in the no-man's land of the extreme edges of Southeast Texas, East Texas and suburban Houston so it has historically gotten very little coverage since none of the three areas have really ever claimed them. Depending on their district alignment they switch between all three. Currently their district is a Houston area district.

Having done weekly score updates for the past several years I will say that that area is by far the most difficult from which to get score updates with El Paso a close 2nd.

This is true. Besides the Conroe Courier and Cleveland Advocate, there is nobody to cover that district.

That being said, Carthage will be too much.

Bulldogs by 21.

WOS87
12-12-2010, 12:36 AM
You never know in these situations.... Carthage just had a huge win so they are definitely ripe for an upset as most teams get over-confident and let their guard down when that happens.

Good luck to both and I hope there are no injuries. Wish I could be there.

Txbroadcaster
12-12-2010, 12:46 AM
You never know in these situations.... Carthage just had a huge win so they are definitely ripe for an upset as most teams get over-confident and let their guard down when that happens.

Coldspring may well win..but it wont be because Carthage is over confident lol..in fact I guarantee that Coach Surratt will spend the whole week telling Carthage how they are the under dogs

WOS87
12-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Coldspring may well win..but it wont be because Carthage is over confident lol..in fact I guarantee that Coach Surratt will spend the whole week telling Carthage how they are the under dogs

They're NOT the underdogs though lol. How is a 2-time defending state champ who just beat the #1 ranked team in 3A an underdog given their prior playoff experience over the past two years going against a team that has played in one state final ever (and lost)?

Txbroadcaster
12-12-2010, 12:58 AM
They're NOT the underdogs though lol. How is a 2-time defending state champ who just beat the #1 ranked team in 3A an underdog given their prior playoff experience over the past two years going against a team that has played in one state final ever?

Coaches dont use logic..I have seen teams unbeaten and BY FAR THE FAVORITE have the feeling they are the underdog going into a game..that is what coaches do, shape the message how they want it whether it is right or not lol

trojandad
12-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
This is true. Besides the Conroe Courier and Cleveland Advocate, there is nobody to cover that district.

That being said, Carthage will be too much.

Bulldogs by 21.

carthage may well win, they have the experience.....but what about our track record this year says a team has the ability to beat us by 21? k'ville didn't do it twice and they beat us by 14 without gilbert and others....they might not be carthage in your eyes but they're far from chopped liver.....i'm all for a possibility of losing, but when you go 21 you might as well go 41 or 61....its just doesnt lend to any thought behind the prediction.....

trojandad
12-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

yea, but if you remember being back in high school and just having beat the year long #1 team in the state, those coaches can preach all they want, if i've won state twice and beat #1 this year, i'm pretty dang full of myself on that opening hand shake....

Dawgdaze
12-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by trojandad
yea, but if you remember being back in high school and just having beat the year long #1 team in the state, those coaches can preach all they want, if i've won state twice and beat #1 this year, i'm pretty dang full of myself on that opening hand shake....

You're right. Based on wins and loss by who you have played it's not that impressive. But having seen your football team on FSSW versus Wimberly it was obvious your team has gotten a LOT better since they played Kirbyville and Crockett. We see you have a huge offensive line and you like to run the ball more than pass. Carthage will be ready. Scheme away and prepare the best you can. You are going to have to pull out all the stops to beat Carthage though. It's no so much our team you have to beat, it's our coaching staff. You have to be several steps ahead of them to be able to win and the players all have to be on the same page. The way I see it since Carthage Coach Surratt took over at Carthage he has won 51 games and 7 losses since 2007. The losses were to:
[2007] Henderson (7-10), Kirbyville (26-27), Liberty Hill (14-41)
[2008] Kilgore (20-33), Nacogdoches (18-21)
[2009] NONE (16-0)
[2010] Chapel Hill (14-41), Nacogdoches (20-41)

That's 51-7 since 2007 (his first year as a head coach) WP=88.1 %
Or 43-4 since 2008 (First State Championship, his second year)=92 %

The way I see it, you have at best a 12 % chance of winning or at worst an 8 % chance of winning against him.

But hey I am just a fan that likes statistics. Go figure [pun intended]

buckeyebob
12-12-2010, 06:29 AM

You must not be from Carthrage...perhaps Henason?

buckeyebob
12-12-2010, 06:41 AM

I can't see that happening with Surratt...remember, they been there, done that, been there, done that & been there and now to do that again...we know 'um well...the District of Doom continues their march...sic 'em http://www.eteamz.com/kentbulldogs/images/Kent_Bulldogs_Dog-2.gif

buckeyebob
12-12-2010, 06:48 AM
The Buckeyes are rooten for you Bulldogs cause next year, we want to be able to say that we beat two (2) - count 'em - 2 - Defending State Champs in the same year!!

trojandad
12-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Dawgdaze
You're right. Based on wins and loss by who you have played it's not that impressive. But having seen your football team on FSSW versus Wimberly it was obvious your team has gotten a LOT better since they played Kirbyville and Crockett. We see you have a huge offensive line and you like to run the ball more than pass. Carthage will be ready. Scheme away and prepare the best you can. You are going to have to pull out all the stops to beat Carthage though. It's no so much our team you have to beat, it's our coaching staff. You have to be several steps ahead of them to be able to win and the players all have to be on the same page. The way I see it since Carthage Coach Surratt took over at Carthage he has won 51 games and 7 losses since 2007. The losses were to:
[2007] Henderson (7-10), Kirbyville (26-27), Liberty Hill (14-41)
[2008] Kilgore (20-33), Nacogdoches (18-21)
[2009] NONE (16-0)
[2010] Chapel Hill (14-41), Nacogdoches (20-41)

That's 51-7 since 2007 (his first year as a head coach) WP=88.1 %
Or 43-4 since 2008 (First State Championship, his second year)=92 %

The way I see it, you have at best a 12 % chance of winning or at worst an 8 % chance of winning against him.

But hey I am just a fan that likes statistics. Go figure [pun intended]

and that all means your coaches did a good job of making sure overconfidence doesnt happen....it may not, probably wont....i was just commenting to the typical mind of the typical BMOC teen, whether he's on your team or ours....

trojandad
12-12-2010, 10:38 AM
and just for your "stats", our spead of victory was better against a team that hung with chapel hill....i wont extrapolate numbers based on that margin.....you guys are the favorites, as you rightly should be....lets play it....

wimbo_pro
12-12-2010, 10:47 AM
TrojanDad...I see the 21 point spread two ways...

This IS high school football. 21 points is not crazy high, maybe slightly...but not crazy high. It's like 12 points in the NFL, at least how I see it. Also, they ARE 2 time champs. They DID just beat Brownwood. I am not a bit surprised that there is a 21 point spread.

BUT...

Use it to your advantage. Tell the boys they arent given a CHANCE IN HELL to win this game. The "experts" think they are weak and are not qualified. LOL...that'll get 'em worked up!!! Your defense is NOT Brownwoods defense. THAT will be the difference.

trojandad
12-12-2010, 11:11 AM
i just thought the 21 was his opinion.....somebody else has it that high?

wimbo_pro
12-12-2010, 12:07 PM
i just thought the 21 was his opinion.....somebody else has it that high?

i read or heard it somewhere...and to be honest, I would have to search for it to find it. It wasnt just someone spouting off, as I remember...but it could have just been a news report from the many I have read regarding last Fridays games. I will check. But the higher, the better for you.

trojandad
12-12-2010, 12:25 PM
the only point i was making is 21 isn't in our history, so its presupposing we haven't played a team like them yet....i just don't operate that way, as many have said, a run to state has its share of luck....i think our bridge city game would have been tougher if we had caught the version of their qb that played earlier in the year (ie against k'ville)....i've said that if we played k'ville 10 times, i think each team would win 5......listening to the athens people they weren't the same team that played chapel hill so tough.....and i'm for sure we didnt get you guys best....

i just say even if your gonna homer your boys to victory, why put it in the "rout" category if they dont have the record of being routed....kinda creates the "crow" some people have been having to eat, even if their team wins only by 7.......

but your right, after beating so many unbeatens this year, you know barbay isn't new at this speech.....

wimbo_pro
12-12-2010, 12:32 PM

but your right, after beating so many unbeatens this year, you know barbay isn't new at this speech.....

Exactly! This is the exact position you want to be in. Carthage coming off what some are calling THE Championship game and victory. Maybe...just maybe...they wont be hitting all cylinders.

On the reality side of things...Carthage is no rookie to this game, right? You got to salute them for their consistency. I mean...wow!!...Three trips in a row? Two victories in a row?? What do they feed those kids over there??? LOL

RealDawgFan
12-12-2010, 12:55 PM
If anyone thinks that Carthage is going to be over confident after that heart stopping win over Brownwood they don't know the Bulldawgs very well. Believe me when I say, the dawgs know how close that game really was, and how easily the outcome could have been different and we could be the one's out.

Coach Surratt and his staff are probably already at the field house planning. If not yet they will be within the next hour or so! They will be out late every night this week and will be analyzing film and practicing those boys as if we are playing the #1 team this week!

Everyone knows Coldspring is NOT a pushover and we will have to fight as hard this week as we did Friday night and as hard as we did this time last year!

But, I'm saying our dawgs win by 2 TDs.

Good luck Coldspring! Be safe and we will see you Friday!

sinton66
12-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Both teams are to be congratulated for making it this far. Whoever wins will be a true champion and the loser won't have anything to hang their heads about. Good luck to both teams, safe travel for all the fans, and everybody enjoy this one. Wish I could make it but alas, won't be able to .

trojandad
12-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
On the reality side of things...Carthage is no rookie to this game, right? You got to salute them for their consistency. I mean...wow!!...Three trips in a row? Two victories in a row?? What do they feed those kids over there??? LOL

wouldnt you LOVE to have that consistency? i picked them over b'wood, though i hadn't seen either play, just simply on that history built up in their players...a former coach here used to coach at a 1a team school close to carthage and the stories he has told me were phenomenol....

and in case it hasn't been heard yet, i salute all, you guys deserve the favorite roll for the same reasons i picked you over b'wood....impossible for there to be anymore respect for them.....we're just playing a game now that big losses aren't a track record for us, just as their track record is state champs......it might be a 100 pt loss, just hasn't been there to predict one rationally.....

garciap77
12-12-2010, 01:36 PM

I have not seen Coldspring, but Carthage RB is a BEAST! And they can pass when needed! Big OL and they don't get tired!

Go Bulldogs!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dawgdaze
12-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Hey trojandad is your defensive line as massive as your offensive line? How do you guys fare against running teams? I have no doubt you guys will be able to run on us. We like to play a 3-4 zone defense which isn't that well suited to stop the run but usually slows it down well enough and doesn't give up a big pass play. With the juggernaut running tandem you guys have I am wondering if we won't need to adjust our defense and start blitzing like your defense does while playing man to man in passing.

wimbo_pro
12-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey trojandad is your defensive line as massive as your offensive line? How do you guys fare against running teams? I have no doubt you guys will be able to run on us. We like to play a 3-4 zone defense which isn't that well suited to stop the run but usually slows it down well enough and doesn't give up a big pass play. With the juggernaut running tandem you guys have I am wondering if we won't need to adjust our defense and start blitzing like your defense does while playing man to man in passing.

let me offer an opponents view. Their D line is not that big, but decent sized (above 3A average). But what they do have is two things: quickness and discipline. They will get by you in a second if you arent ready. They will also stay in their lanes to prevent the scramble. They will attack you from the corners (assuming you are passing), and they will blitz you silly. You will not beat them to the corner, just as they wont beat you to the corner. Their D backs are good, and arent fooled easily. You beat their defense, you win the game.

But this isnt to say their offense isnt great too! However, we were able to figure it out after 20 points against us in the 1st half to just 6 in the 2nd half. We just couldnt overcome their D (plus we didnt execute when given the chance).

Defense wins championships.

trojandad
12-12-2010, 02:38 PM

the def line has two strengths for us, matt wilson is 6'7", 270 def end that you see each team on here asking "what do you guys feed him?" after each game....but equally stout is our two def tackles....while being big men, they honestly each have speed only exceeded by our backs.....you saw the wimberley people talking about not being able to turn the corner on us, many times it was actually those interior linemen beating their blocks and running some fast backs down....

two of our lbs are sizeable, but you can ask either athens or wimberley, #20 tre cooper might be the smallest man in stature on the field but both games has LIVED in the backfield all game....all i can figure is his first step is that good, cause he's like one of those polamalu players, just has a motor that preturbs the offense he's playing against, i'm sure you know the type of player....

our secondary is obviously coming around, though i've said (maybe undeservantly now) that its the chink in our armor....they've sure shown up starting in the 2nd half of the k'ville game.....#4, jerrell sykes, is nephew of all swc and wash redskins james sykes, is a sophomore, and i believe has an interception in every playoff game so far, having run several back for 6.....i'll be surprised if you don't see him in our backfield the next two years....he made an incredible pick on a 50 yd pass against wimberley, outjumped the receiver, coming down back first....

i've heard nothing but animal-type beast comparisons on you guys defense as well....this is good, i've waited a year to see you guys play, came SO close last year.....:clap:

charlesrixey
12-12-2010, 03:02 PM

lol he must not know where Coldspring is

Dawgdaze
12-12-2010, 04:38 PM
the def line has two strengths for us, matt wilson is 6'7", 270 def end that you see each team on here asking "what do you guys feed him?" after each game....but equally stout is our two def tackles....while being big men, they honestly each have speed only exceeded by our backs.....you saw the wimberley people talking about not being able to turn the corner on us, many times it was actually those interior linemen beating their blocks and running some fast backs down....

two of our lbs are sizeable, but you can ask either athens or wimberley, #20 tre cooper might be the smallest man in stature on the field but both games has LIVED in the backfield all game....all i can figure is his first step is that good, cause he's like one of those polamalu players, just has a motor that preturbs the offense he's playing against, i'm sure you know the type of player....

our secondary is obviously coming around, though i've said (maybe undeservantly now) that its the chink in our armor....they've sure shown up starting in the 2nd half of the k'ville game.....#4, jerrell sykes, is nephew of all swc and wash redskins james sykes, is a sophomore, and i believe has an interception in every playoff game so far, having run several back for 6.....i'll be surprised if you don't see him in our backfield the next two years....he made an incredible pick on a 50 yd pass against wimberley, outjumped the receiver, coming down back first....

i've heard nothing but animal-type beast comparisons on you guys defense as well....this is good, i've waited a year to see you guys play, came SO close last year.....:clap:

Good info. So probably Carthage is going to have to try to find time to throw on you guys. I read your guys sacked the Wimberly QB 4 times and had 18 hurries. Impressive.

rb585
12-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I'll second Wimbo. I kept trying to remember the last time I'd seen a defense like that... and it was our 2005 defense.

11 good athletes on the field and no weak links.

They completely shut down our run, then pressured our QB something awful when we tried to pass. When we did manage to get a pass in the air, they had excellent athletes in the secondary.

We hadn't scored less than 31 all season, and they held us to 14, both of which were 4th down TDs.

bobcat1
12-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I think I'll take Carthage in this one. Their defense just held the much heralded and highly talented Brownwood Lions to 28 points. Brownwood's defense was no slouch either but Carthage scored 35. Holland ran for over 300 yards with much credit to the execution of blocks by the O-Line. I don't think this game will be close at all IMHO. The line play of Carthage is just too strong and they execute to perfection. They have playmakers on both sides of the ball in RB Holland and LB Thompson. The QB Morgan and S/R Pope and that dynamite Returner/WR/DB Claiborne add spark to the offense when needed. The QB is pretty accurate with his throws, Claiborne should never be kicked to and Pope is long and lanky and incredibly deceptive in speed. Carthage wins by 17 or more I think. They can't afford a letdown after a big game or Coldspring will capitalize and snatch that possible 3-peat out of their grasp.

trojandad
12-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Good info. So probably Carthage is going to have to try to find time to throw on you guys. I read your guys sacked the Wimberly QB 4 times and had 18 hurries. Impressive.

actually tiny #20 had 4 sacks by himself....i haven't found a sack number except in the austin paper saying we sacked them 7 times, but i think they called some of them negative rushes by the qb, cause he ended the game with a negative rushing total....my guess was it was closer to 10-12 sacks.....

Dawgdaze
12-12-2010, 06:27 PM
actually tiny #20 had 4 sacks by himself....i haven't found a sack number except in the austin paper saying we sacked them 7 times, but i think they called some of them negative rushes by the qb, cause he ended the game with a negative rushing total....my guess was it was closer to 10-12 sacks.....

My bad, yeah just re-read it. It said Tre Cooper sacked him 4 times. All-together he was sacked or hurried a total of 18 times.

Trojans find Texans’ Achilles’ heel
Coldspring will face Carthage for 3A Division II title
By STEVEN THOMSON
FOR THE CHRONICLE
Dec. 11, 2010, 1:39AM

WACO — Coldspring used an offensive steamroller to flatten previously unbeaten Wimberley 26-14 in Friday night’s Class 3A Division II state semifinal game at Floyd Casey Stadium.

In winning their 14th consecutive game, the Trojans (14-1) advance to the state finals against Carthage, which defeated Brownwood 35-28 Friday.

The 3A championship contest is slated for 4 p.m. Friday at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington.

Wimberley (14-1) was unable to stop the Coldspring rushing tandem of Sherman Gilbert and Cody Cummings, who combined for 357 yards and four touchdowns.

Gilbert ran 16 times for 226 yards, including touchdowns of 79 and 61 yards.

The Trojans junior also had the team’s only pass reception, good for 45 yards.

Cummings had scoring runs of 15 and 3 yards in his 131-yard total on 19 carries.

Defensive advantage

Coldspring averaged over 10 yards a carry in the first half in taking a 20-7 advantage. The Trojans’ defense did its part by limiting the Texans to 164 yards.

A balanced offense helped Wimberley average over 400 yards a game in its 14 victories. The Texans could not duplicate that feat against Coldspring, managing just 35 rushing yards on 30 carries.

Linebacker Tre Cooper sacked Wimberley quarterback Brady Lambert four times in the contest. Cooper was part of a menacing pass rush that frequently came in off the ends to wreck havoc.

Lambert was sacked or hurried 18 times against the blitzing Trojans defense.

The Texans signal-caller completed just 10 of 25 passes for 129 yards with one interception. Lambert had 14 rushing yards on 20 carries.

A 61-yard dash by Gilbert gave Coldspring a 26-7 lead with 5:58 left in the third quarter.

Running dominance

Wimberley drove to the Coldspring 5 early in the fourth before the Trojans’ defense rose up and forced two incomplete passes.

The Texans managed one more score with 3:42 left to play.

Coldspring did not need a balanced offensive attack to dominate Friday’s game. The Trojans finished with 402 rushing yards on 46 attempts to keep control.

cameronyoe
12-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Carthage wins by 14+. I apologize to each and every Carthage fan for my incorrect prediction last week as I picked Brownwood to beat you guys. You have a wonderful team and you proved me and many others to be wrong. Best of luck this week finishing off the 3-peat. You will be the only team getting a 3-peat this year!!!;)

wimbo_pro
12-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Stats and recent history would normally compell me to pick Carthage in this one. But for some reason...maybe its what I saw on D from Coldspring last Friday (and no, I havent seen you guys personally)...I am going to pick Coldspring. By 9. No offense to any Carthage fans, you guys are the Top Dog in the 3A world...probably the team of the decade. I just have a funny feeling about this one.

Tejastrue
12-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Gotta go with Coldspring. Very impressed how they played on Friday. Trojandad, I know all about Gilbert and Cummings now but who was that huge #45 rb that carried several of our defensive guys on his back for 7-10 yds at a time? He was a bulldozer!

Dawgdaze
12-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by cameronyoe
Carthage wins by 14+. I apologize to each and every Carthage fan for my incorrect prediction last week as I picked Brownwood to beat you guys. You have a wonderful team and you proved me and many others to be wrong. Best of luck this week finishing off the 3-peat. You will be the only team getting a 3-peat this year!!!;)

Nothing to apoligize about. It was a close game that could have gone either way. For those Wimberly fans that were impressed with ColdSpring last Friday come see them this Friday and they won't be so impressive.

j_dog
12-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WOS87
[B]Coldspring is Northeast of Houston, maybe 50 miles away from being considered true East Texas

It's always been true East Texas to me. It's in the Piney Woods. In fact, it's right there by the Sam Houston National Forest. If you're in the pines, by definition you're in East Texas. That's my take anyhow.
I agree! And especially if you have a few hills. Which Coldspring has. They're in East Texas in my book.

wimbo_pro
12-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Nothing to apoligize about. It was a close game that could have gone either way. For those Wimberly fans that were impressed with ColdSpring last Friday come see them this Friday and they won't be so impressive.

Maybe. Maybe not. we shall see.

bigwood33
12-12-2010, 10:24 PM
How could anyone (other than Coldspring fans) pick against the 2 time defending champs!

wimbo_pro
12-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
How could anyone (other than Coldspring fans) pick against the 2 time defending champs!

Thats a fair statement, BigWood. I doubt there will be even ONE qualified source that will take Coldspring in this one. Totally understand why too. But I just got a feeling...I dunno. Anyways, who can argue with Carthage's success? I can't make a solid argument since I haven't personally seen Carthage, but I know of their legend. However, I am familiar with Coldspring. I saw something in them...I can't explain it. I'll stick with my prediction.

Inmateboss
12-12-2010, 10:51 PM
coldspring is a small town (pop 681 on the sign) on the east shore of lake livingston in san jacinto county.....sparcely populated, no industry whatsoever, the very definition of a bedroom community.....no car sales, 1 grocery store, only fast food is a subway thats gone thru 3 owners just to survive....majority of the county occupied with state and federal national forests (undeveloped), living on the lake made it a great place to raise two boys, never locked our doors at night, no need......oakhurst is an even smaller bump in the road with nothing there (one closed down convenience store) 20 miles from coldspring, its only claim to fame is being the home of anna nicole's smith half brother working at a bait shop there.....(his wife of twin boys worked for me as a nanny for a while)......the difference between the environments of coldspring compared to b'wood, carthage and even wimberley makes comparisons of hickory vs indianapolis......

is why they enter each game understanding why people can't see them even competing.......

I like your story, and since y'all miss true east texas by 50 miles( means y'all are slow like everybody else) I'm jumping on the band wagon!!! Post some pics and stuff so us coldspring supporters will know who were cheering for!!! Go Coldspring win it all!!!!
PS: y'all do know what winning this will mean, and how hard it is going to be, right!! Ok, just checking, here we go !!!

j_dog
12-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I normally do not get too much into predictions because I usually have not seen both teams. And even if I have seen both teams, you never know how the matchups will play out. Clearly, Carthage should be and is the favorite. They are the defending state champs for gosh sakes.

But this time I will go for the upset. I did see last year's Carthage team play Jasper. And I saw this year's Coldspring team dismantle a very good Athens team. I do not know about this year's Carthage team, but I will go out on a limb and say this. I think this year's Coldspring team would take last year's Carthage team by say ten points. I am going to make an assumption that this year's Carthage team is much the same as last year's team. At least from what I have read that seems to be a reasonable assumption. Coldspring brings a combination of size, strength, speed and quickness that defies description as WimberlEy fans seem to be acknowledging. Now, I cannot technically analyze all that for you. It is just a gut feeling. So, I say Coldspring by ten this year also.

Good luck to both teams!

wimbo_pro
12-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
I normally do not get too much into predictions because I usually have not seen both teams. And even if I have seen both teams, you never know how the matchups will play out. Clearly, Carthage should be and are the favorite. They are the defending state champs for gosh sakes.

But this time I will go for the upset. I did see last year's Carthage team play Jasper. And I saw this year's Coldspring team dismantle a very good Athens team. I do not know about this year's Carthage team, but I will go out on a limb and say this. I think this year's Coldspring team would take last year's Carthage team by say ten points. I am going to make an assumption that this year's Carthage team is much the same as last year's team. At least from what I have read that seems to be a reasonable assumption. Coldspring brings a combination of size, strength, speed and quickness that defies description as Wimberly fans seem to be acknowledging. Now, I cannot technically analyze all that for you. It is just a gut feeling. So, I say Coldspring by ten this year also.

Good luck to both teams!

Good assessment J_Dog. We could both be wrong, but we both have our reasons for thinking upset here. By the way...its WimberlEy. LOL

Inmateboss
12-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Thats a fair statement, BigWood. I doubt there will be even ONE qualified source that will take Coldspring in this one. Totally understand why too. But I just got a feeling...I dunno. Anyways, who can argue with Carthage's success? I can't make a solid argument since I haven't personally seen Carthage, but I know of their legend. However, I am familiar with Coldspring. I saw something in them...I can't explain it. I'll stick with my prediction.

Hey Dawgdaze, I'll take coldspring, straight up, for a moon pie and an RC Cola!!

j_dog
12-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Good assessment J_Dog. We could both be wrong, but we both have our reasons for thinking upset here. By the way...its WimberlEy. LOL
fixed it! :D

trojandad
12-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Tejastrue
Gotta go with Coldspring. Very impressed how they played on Friday. Trojandad, I know all about Gilbert and Cummings now but who was that huge #45 rb that carried several of our defensive guys on his back for 7-10 yds at a time? He was a bulldozer!

he's a freak of nature, squats over 500, is a monster from the waist down.....notice how barbay sneaks him in after 3 or 4 sweeps to one side and counters him the opposite way? teams know its coming and load 3 or 4 guys on his back to no avail....his per carry avg is as high as gilberts....just not enough footballs to give him 10 carries a game.......heck, i wish there were enough footballs to give gilbert 25-30/game.....

Dawgdaze
12-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Inmateboss
Hey Dawgdaze, I'll take coldspring, straight up, for a moon pie and an RC Cola!!

Done deal. I like the chocolate moonpies!

trojandad
12-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Done deal. I like the chocolate moonpies!

i love moon pies, count me in....dr wont let me have rc's anymore, how about a grape nehi....or a newgrape, either one.....:cheerl:

btw, you know the big reason we need to win? winning is the only way we'll get ranked above b'wood in the final polls....LOL

Dawgdaze
12-12-2010, 11:34 PM
LOL. No kidding. Well I will admit this. There are only 7 teams by my count in Texas History that have ever had a 3-peat or better in State Championships. There is a reason why they are so rare. And IMO Carthage is vulnerable to a good running game.

Here are the teams that have won at least 3 State Championships in a row:

3-Peat or better State Champions (7 teams)

Waco 1925-1928 (All schools)(3 peat)
Amarillo 1934-1936 (All schools) (3 peat)
Ft. Hancock (6-man from 1988-1992 = 4 peat)
Sealy (3A-1994-1998) = (4 peat)
Celina (2A-Div. II , 1998-2001 = 4 peat)
Southlake Carroll (5A-Div. II, 2004-2006 = 3 peat)
Lake Travis (4A-Div.II, 4A-Div. I = 3 peat

P.S. - I'd rather have Nehi too. But I like Nehi PEACH!

trojandad
12-12-2010, 11:41 PM
oh man, make some homemade vanilla and pour some nehi peach in there with some cut up peaches.....lord, can hurt myself on that.....

db1980
12-12-2010, 11:52 PM
What kind of offense does Coldspring run?

wimbo_pro
12-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by db1980

Obviously a successful one!!!

Sorry....couldnt resist. I'll let TrojanDad tell the tale.

trojandad
12-13-2010, 12:16 AM
gotta read daughter a bedtime story.....take it, wimbo....

j_dog
12-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Trojandad can answer this better than I. But I know this. Simply put, they run, run, run.

Completed one pass against Wimberley for 45 yards. They have several RBs that alternate carrying the ball.

TheStig
12-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Since I can't vote in the poll I will "write in" my vote for Carthage.

PHOP
12-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Pulling for Coldspring but expect Cartherage to win another

trojandad
12-13-2010, 09:38 AM

sorry to take so long, they run variances of the split t, approximately 40% of the time winging it off to a single back backfield....wimbo and jdog can tell you we have runners that bang it up the middle to keep teams honest, but the big breakaway runs are either from well blocked sweeps or well timed traps and crossbucks where the defensive line will get a hand on our back as he's passing by them.....even though it's 95% run, its about 25% smashmouth....the majority of it is a very finesse type running game with good speed.....

wimberley fans will tell you that cummings and gilbert have much bigger numbers and reputations than physiques, but the next time they go down on the first hit will be the first, cummings will squim, turn, twist, contort, and just get silly with extra efforts, thats how hes approaching 2500 yds for the year, cause the man isn't the fastest, breakaway guy on the field, gilbert is....

wimbo and i were talking about team attitudes, and the one thing that gilbert and cummings have going for them is they get a charge out of the success the other has.....i know thats cliche-ish, but the game against athens, gilbert had almost 200 yds the first half, and was leading cummings off tackle when the hole went wide open....in that 70 yd run, gilbert made four separate blocks leading cummings down the field, not blocks that knocked out 4 men, he threw 4 separate blocks....when the play was done, gilbert got up, jumped on cummings in celebration and cummings couldnt get him off, he was celebrating more than any of his breakaway td runs.....those two have fed off each other all year, and i dont think either would have had the year they had without the threat of the other in the backfield that the defense has to watch for....

Gsquared
12-13-2010, 09:56 AM
sorry to take so long, they run variances of the split t, approximately 40% of the time winging it off to a single back backfield....wimbo and jdog can tell you we have runners that bang it up the middle to keep teams honest, but the big breakaway runs are either from well blocked sweeps or well timed traps and crossbucks where the defensive line will get a hand on our back as he's passing by them.....even though it's 95% run, its about 25% smashmouth....the majority of it is a very finesse type running game with good speed.....

wimberley fans will tell you that cummings and gilbert have much bigger numbers and reputations than physiques, but the next time they go down on the first hit will be the first, cummings will squim, turn, twist, contort, and just get silly with extra efforts, thats how hes approaching 2500 yds for the year, cause the man isn't the fastest, breakaway guy on the field, gilbert is....

wimbo and i were talking about team attitudes, and the one thing that gilbert and cummings have going for them is they get a charge out of the success the other has.....i know thats cliche-ish, but the game against athens, gilbert had almost 200 yds the first half, and was leading cummings off tackle when the hole went wide open....in that 70 yd run, gilbert made four separate blocks leading cummings down the field, not blocks that knocked out 4 men, he threw 4 separate blocks....when the play was done, gilbert got up, jumped on cummings in celebration and cummings couldnt get him off, he was celebrating more than any of his breakaway td runs.....those two have fed off each other all year, and i dont think either would have had the year they had without the threat of the other in the backfield that the defense has to watch for....
Man, I love those kinds of kids/teams. Ive seen Carthage five times this year but im REALLY looking forward to seeing this Coldspring group.

wimbo_pro
12-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Man, I love those kinds of kids/teams. Ive seen Carthage five times this year but im REALLY looking forward to seeing this Coldspring group.

you'll love these kids too G2. They are a great bunch, it seemed.

trojandad
12-13-2010, 10:32 AM

if you've seen carthage that much, i'd sure appreciate hearing your view of them.....was really disappointed we didnt get to see them last year, fell one game short.....

LionFan72
12-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Carthage by 1. No disrespect to a great Carthage team, and my hats off to the team that stopped the Lions, I didn't think it could be done.
My concern is the run defense, we were able to gash the line for some decent yardage and we are a pass first team, going against a well oiled run first team may create some problems. I have not seen Coldsprings, but they do sound like a formidable foe for anyone.
I think it is gonna be hard fought, grind'em out game. Congratulations to both teams for making it to State. Hope for a injury free and exciting game, good luck and safe travels to both.

LionFan72
12-13-2010, 11:47 AM
if you've seen carthage that much, i'd sure appreciate hearing your view of them.....was really disappointed we didnt get to see them last year, fell one game short.....

From an outsider prospective, Carthage is big on both lines, fast and strong. I have never seen a group of kids recover and fly to the ball as fast as their defense did last Friday. Their running back, Holland, is a hoss, has deceptive speed and a downhill runner. Qb is above average with a rifle arm and very intelligent play maker. The Oline is workhorse, open gaping holes all night long, we certainly didn't have an answer, but you gotta give props when due. And they are very well coached too with a loud and proud fanbase. They ran the ball about 65-70 percent of the time trying to keep the ball away from Brownwood's offense, and mixed in a couple trick plays along the way. Good luck, get ready, final game is coming in 4 days.

trojandad
12-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by LionFan72
From an outsider prospective, Carthage is big on both lines, fast and strong. I have never seen a group of kids recover and fly to the ball as fast as their defense did last Friday. Their running back, Holland, is a hoss, has deceptive speed and a downhill runner. Qb is above average with a rifle arm and very intelligent play maker. The Oline is workhorse, open gaping holes all night long, we certainly didn't have an answer, but you gotta give props when due. And they are very well coached too with a loud and proud fanbase. They ran the ball about 65-70 percent of the time trying to keep the ball away from Brownwood's offense, and mixed in a couple trick plays along the way. Good luck, get ready, final game is coming in 4 days.

good info, thank you.....i have nothing but respect for them, not only for the last two years but for figuring a way to beat b'wood in any way it took.....i honestly hope they do run the ball that much, i was suspecting them more of a passing team....as our defense practices against our running team, and few teams lean to the run as much as we do, it would sure be our best hope......

db1980
12-13-2010, 12:20 PM
good info, thank you.....i have nothing but respect for them, not only for the last two years but for figuring a way to beat b'wood in any way it took.....i honestly hope they do run the ball that much, i was suspecting them more of a passing team....as our defense practices against our running team, and few teams lean to the run as much as we do, it would sure be our best hope......

Honestly, Carthage will do what they have to to take you out of your bread and butter, especially if you are a 90% run team. Carthage is a very disciplined football team in their assignments. Coldspring will probably have to throw the ball more than they like to to beat Carthage. They are extremely physical up front and the LB's are very, very good.

For Coldspring to win this ballgame they'll need to control the first down plays. If they can't get 4-5 yds on 1st down they'll be in 4th down alot.

For Carthage to win this game they'll have to win the battle in the trenches. If they can complete their assignments and fill the gaps they have the speed to string any team out to the sideline.

Carthage wins 38-21

pirate4state
12-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I am so excited :D Is it Friday yet?

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but I'm lazy and don't want to go back and check...who is the home team?

Gsquared
12-13-2010, 12:27 PM

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but I'm lazy and don't want to go back and check...who is the home team?
Sports

rb585
12-13-2010, 12:40 PM
OK, I've already complemented Coldspring, so here's their downside...

Their special teams are not good. Kicking and punting are just plain bad. We almost busted a KO return against them, too.

How are Carthage's STs?

trojandad
12-13-2010, 12:42 PM

its my understanding carthage is the home team.....sure wish we coulda been in black.....

trojandad
12-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by rb585
OK, I've already complemented Coldspring, so here's their downside...

Their special teams are not good. Kicking and punting are just plain bad. We almost busted a KO return against them, too.

How are Carthage's STs?

your absolutely right on our kicking game, but something i didnt point out, that kickoff return by wimberley was the longest we allowed all year.....the coverage teams have been decent all year.....probably due to the overall team speed more than anything......

Sportshack
12-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Coldspring is THE best defense I have seen since Gainseville 05....and of course our own Code Red of the same year. They are for real, dont doubt that for a second. Their offense CAN be stopped, or at least slowed down, as we were able to figure it out in the 2nd half (only scored 6 on us). But it was their defense that did us in. Beware.

I could not agree more with Wimbo-Pro's assessment. Coldspring has a very fast and physical defense across the board. They totally shut down a Wimberley running game that had flat out dominated all opponents in the playoffs. They also did a good job limiting a decent passing attack. Wimberley did not have enough speed on defense and gave up about 5 big plays that hurt. I know Carthage has a really big and fast linebacker so I suspect that they will do a better job of holding down Coldspring than Wimberley but we will see. Holding Brownwood to 28 points was impressive. Should be a good game.

HEMOTOXIC
12-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Both teams are playing great ball. This should be an interesting game come Friday. Too bad I can't make it. I was really surprised by the performance that the Trojans put on Wimberley.
I was more impressed by Carthage's win over the Mighty Brownwood Lions.

Good Luck to both teams, FIGHT ON TROJANS!

trojandad
12-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Both teams are playing great ball. This should be an interesting game come Friday. Too bad I can't make it. I was really surprised by the performance that the Trojans put on Wimberley.
I was more impressed by Carthage's win over the Mighty Brownwood Lions.

Good Luck to both teams, FIGHT ON TROJANS!

its a long way from that team playing huffman that night, huh, buddy? lol

HEMOTOXIC
12-13-2010, 01:46 PM
its a long way from that team playing huffman that night, huh, buddy? lol

You are exactly right. Although, I was still impressed with the Trojans that night. Like I said before, if the Trojans stuck to the things that they did well, they were going to be hard to beat. And, it looks like the defense has really stepped it up a notch as well. I am so excited for you guys! I have a ride to the game if I am able to get out of work. The only option is for me to call out.:D:doh:

peagle
12-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Should be a good one Congrats!!! To Carthage for making another appearance.

trojandad
12-13-2010, 02:18 PM
You are exactly right. Although, I was still impressed with the Trojans that night. Like I said before, if the Trojans stuck to the things that they did well, they were going to be hard to beat. And, it looks like the defense has really stepped it up a notch as well. I am so excited for you guys! I have a ride to the game if I am able to get out of work. The only option is for me to call out.:D:doh:

i'm on both hands and knees hoping the dr lets me go....if so, you have my number....you might have to keep me away from the parties if we get lucky....my son graduates from shsu the next morning at 10 so i gotta be a good boy the night before.....

HEMOTOXIC
12-13-2010, 03:29 PM
i'm on both hands and knees hoping the dr lets me go....if so, you have my number....you might have to keep me away from the parties if we get lucky....my son graduates from shsu the next morning at 10 so i gotta be a good boy the night before.....

Oh wow, congrats to him. And, I will say a special prayer for you.

PS, Make sure you tell him that it is indoors at Cowboys Stadium. That may help the cause, :D .

trojandad
12-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Oh wow, congrats to him. And, I will say a special prayer for you.

PS, Make sure you tell him that it is indoors at Cowboys Stadium. That may help the cause, :D .

have you heard yet if they're closing the roof? its supposed to be in the low 50's with a stiff wind...

HEMOTOXIC
12-13-2010, 03:38 PM
have you heard yet if they're closing the roof? its supposed to be in the low 50's with a stiff wind...

No, I haven't. I guess it will be a game time decision. At Reliant, the 50-80 rule applies. I would think that since there is another game following Carthage/CO, they would leave it close. It should be lower than 50 degress by the next game. At the same time, I am not sure if the 50-80 rule applies at Cowboys Stadium.

Gsquared
12-13-2010, 03:52 PM
They will have the roof closed.

BullBoy
12-13-2010, 04:23 PM
can you park anywhere you want at this stadium?:thinking: i have never been there before so i don't know their parking rules,

Gsquared
12-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by BullBoy
can you park anywhere you want at this stadium?:thinking: i have never been there before so i don't know their parking rules,
Anywhere they are open. Will probably be lots 1-12

BullBoy
12-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Anywhere they are open. Will probably be lots 1-12 and where do you pay the parking fee? knowing me i'll probably circle around the stadium a few times and just sneak in to where the crowd is at.

Gsquared
12-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by BullBoy
and where do you pay the parking fee? knowing me i'll probably circle around the stadium a few times and just sneak in to where the crowd is at.
They will take your money when you pull into the lot

wimbo_pro
12-13-2010, 04:41 PM
They will take your money when you pull into the lot

And they will do this with a christmas spirit in their heart!

BullBoy
12-13-2010, 04:53 PM
They will take your money when you pull into the lot awsome.:clap:

BullBoy
12-13-2010, 04:54 PM
And they will do this with a christmas spirit in their heart! they better be wearing santa hats!!!:mad:

Tejastrue
12-13-2010, 10:01 PM
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: Come on supporters of Carthage and Coldspring. Let's see some activity here!! :cheerl: I'm going through withdrawal. :weeping: Wimbo, post something off-the-wall! :stirpot:

wimbo_pro
12-13-2010, 10:10 PM
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: Come on supporters of Carthage and Coldspring. Let's see some activity here!! :cheerl: I'm going through withdrawal. :weeping: Wimbo, post something off-the-wall! :stirpot:
Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dog's face, he gets mad at you, but when you take him for a car ride, he sticks his head out the window?

sinton66
12-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dog's face, he gets mad at you, but when you take him for a car ride, he sticks his head out the window?

LOL, I posted that once and someone responded with a picture of mouthwash.

wimbo_pro
12-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
LOL, I posted that once and someone responded with a picture of mouthwash.

LOL...that funny right there!

Tejastrue
12-13-2010, 10:28 PM

:spitlol: :spitlol: Thanks wimbo!!

The one time I don't think you should listen to your body is when it says "I'm dead".

j_dog
12-13-2010, 10:50 PM
There are not very many Coldspring posters, and the Carthage posters know they already have the game won. No need to even show up. Now maybe that will get things started. :D

Tejastrue
12-13-2010, 10:56 PM
There are not very many Coldspring posters, and the Carthage posters know they already have the game won. No need to even show up. Now maybe that will get things started. :D

I think the Carthaginian people will be very surpised on Friday with the Trojan's ground assault!! :stirpot:

wimbo_pro
12-13-2010, 11:00 PM
The one time I don't think you should listen to your body is when it says "I'm dead".
If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a stupid song about him?

j_dog
12-13-2010, 11:08 PM
I think the Carthaginian people will be very surpised on Friday with the Trojan's ground assault!! :stirpot:
you mean that 40 yards and a blue streak of smoke?

Pawdaddy
12-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Honestly, Carthage will do what they have to to take you out of your bread and butter, especially if you are a 90% run team. Carthage is a very disciplined football team in their assignments. Coldspring will probably have to throw the ball more than they like to to beat Carthage. They are extremely physical up front and the LB's are very, very good.

For Coldspring to win this ballgame they'll need to control the first down plays. If they can't get 4-5 yds on 1st down they'll be in 4th down alot.

For Carthage to win this game they'll have to win the battle in the trenches. If they can complete their assignments and fill the gaps they have the speed to string any team out to the sideline.

Carthage wins 38-21

Mark this post by db1980. He has it down(low!) A friend of mine grew up with the Carthage HC and stays in touch throughout the year with him. Surratt says he has 12 trick plays that the team practices all the time that he has never used in a game. The onside kick at the Brownwood game could be a measure of what may be seen if needed. Just calling it an "onside kick" doesn't do it justice. It was strategerizing and perfect execution that left everyone around us at the game pointing at the replay screen! Carthage has the coaches and the athletes to carry out the plan to take the 3rd consecutive title for Carthage. The District of Doom guarantees a Dave Campbell cover for next year and boasts 2 State Champs in 2010!

So let it be written, so let it be done!

trojandad
12-14-2010, 12:25 AM

ok, here's a point or two that brings me encouragement this friday....granted, carthage has the last two titles and a team FULL of experienced guys that have danced this dance a few years from now, and who wouldnt give anything for that kind of experience, especially if its a close game, a definite plus for them.....

now for an advantage for us....our offenses practically gain equal yards/game and points per game, so offenses statistically are a wash....however, we're allowing 12 pt/game and 180 yd/game, an average that has stayed virtually the same through the playoffs, whereas carthage has allowed 26 pt/game and 325 yd/game, again, amounts that have stayed pretty consistent throughout their playoff run.....

now we've got to give due to carthage stats include having to play shipley & co, however their level of defensive stats have been close to their averages throughout most of the playoff games they have played, as ours have stayed close to the averages we have maintained, including having dropped our year long defensive numbers almost 20 yd/game just with our results over 1 game over a salty and undefeated wimberley team.....

two points i'd like to make on those numbers, first, our 12 pts/game have been maintained in a playoff run against teams like kirbyville, bridge city (who put 31 on kirbyville), columbus, athens and wimberley.....carthage's avg has been maintained at that level through games with pleasant grove, canton, dallas madison, argyle and brownwood, a definite tough game against b'wood but a game only adding 2 pts to that average, meaning the average from the other games were approximately the same.....while we all might give their game with b'wood a superior nod in schedule comparison, i'd compare our playoff schedule to theirs favorably aside from that with k'ville twice considered in our averages....

one huge note that all are overlooking is the fact that if coldspring was entering this game giving up 26 pt/game and 325 yd/game on average, not to exceptional teams, but on average teams, and carthage was rolling in giving up 12 pt/game and 180 yd/game, many would be showing us the differences between juggernaut numbers and cinderella "just happy to be here" numbers.....well, in this case, we've got the numbers that are best seen on juggernaut teams, just not the history, the school size or facilities, or the rankings for the year.....

we can, without much question, be considered to be at least as good as the "average" team carthage has played this year, so 26 pts should be within an average effort for us....the question, as with the last 3 games with kirbyville, athens and wimberley, is can our 12 pt/game avg show up.....i'll concede carthage is probably better than our average opponent, but even if they double our average, and we somehow only show up being "average" against their defensive stats, that gives us the championship by two pts....thats a whole lot of conceding and a whole lot of "playing average" on our part to make it that close....

j_dog
12-14-2010, 12:45 AM
wow trojandad! you have been doing some figuring. man, what are Carthage fans going to do now? I think they are all hanging out on Smokey so they don't have to read stuff like this. ;)

well since they don't seem to be around, i will speak for them. all those yards and points they gave up came against their second, third, and fourth team defense. so they don't count. :( but all the points they scored came against the other teams' first string. this is true stuff that i learned on Smokey.

past stats won't win a game, but on Friday we will for sure find out who the real "real deal" is. :)

Good luck to both teams and Go Trojans!

trojandad
12-14-2010, 12:53 AM
wos trojandad! you have been doing some figuring. man, what are Carthage fans going to do now? I think they are all hanging out on Smokey so they don't have to read stuff like this. ;)

well since they don't seem to be around, i will speak for them. all those yards and points they gave up came against their second, third, and fourth team defense. so they don't count. :( but all the points they scored came against the other teams' first string. this is true stuff that i learned on Smokey.

past stats won't win a game, but on Friday we will for sure find out who the real "real deal" is. :)

Good luck to both teams and Go Trojans!

yea but that "second string" door swings both ways, i know you know that seeing athens....but your right, stats are stats.....they just give a place to not talk just as a homer......lol

buckeyebob
12-14-2010, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Pawdaddy
Mark this post by db1980. He has it down(low!) A friend of mine grew up with the Carthage HC and stays in touch throughout the year with him. Surratt says he has 12 trick plays that the team practices all the time that he has never used in a game. The onside kick at the Brownwood game could be a measure of what may be seen if needed. Just calling it an "onside kick" doesn't do it justice. It was strategerizing and perfect execution that left everyone around us at the game pointing at the replay screen! Carthage has the coaches and the athletes to carry out the plan to take the 3rd consecutive title for Carthage. The District of Doom guarantees a Dave Campbell cover for next year and boasts 2 State Champs in 2010!

& they stole it from the Buckeyes!!

db1980
12-14-2010, 07:39 AM
ok, here's a point or two that brings me encouragement this friday....granted, carthage has the last two titles and a team FULL of experienced guys that have danced this dance a few years from now, and who wouldnt give anything for that kind of experience, especially if its a close game, a definite plus for them.....

now for an advantage for us....our offenses practically gain equal yards/game and points per game, so offenses statistically are a wash....however, we're allowing 12 pt/game and 180 yd/game, an average that has stayed virtually the same through the playoffs, whereas carthage has allowed 26 pt/game and 325 yd/game, again, amounts that have stayed pretty consistent throughout their playoff run.....

now we've got to give due to carthage stats include having to play shipley & co, however their level of defensive stats have been close to their averages throughout most of the playoff games they have played, as ours have stayed close to the averages we have maintained, including having dropped our year long defensive numbers almost 20 yd/game just with our results over 1 game over a salty and undefeated wimberley team.....

two points i'd like to make on those numbers, first, our 12 pts/game have been maintained in a playoff run against teams like kirbyville, bridge city (who put 31 on kirbyville), columbus, athens and wimberley.....carthage's avg has been maintained at that level through games with pleasant grove, canton, dallas madison, argyle and brownwood, a definite tough game against b'wood but a game only adding 2 pts to that average, meaning the average from the other games were approximately the same.....while we all might give their game with b'wood a superior nod in schedule comparison, i'd compare our playoff schedule to theirs favorably aside from that with k'ville twice considered in our averages....

one huge note that all are overlooking is the fact that if coldspring was entering this game giving up 26 pt/game and 325 yd/game on average, not to exceptional teams, but on average teams, and carthage was rolling in giving up 12 pt/game and 180 yd/game, many would be showing us the differences between juggernaut numbers and cinderella "just happy to be here" numbers.....well, in this case, we've got the numbers that are best seen on juggernaut teams, just not the history, the school size or facilities, or the rankings for the year.....

we can, without much question, be considered to be at least as good as the "average" team carthage has played this year, so 26 pts should be within an average effort for us....the question, as with the last 3 games with kirbyville, athens and wimberley, is can our 12 pt/game avg show up.....i'll concede carthage is probably better than our average opponent, but even if they double our average, and we somehow only show up being "average" against their defensive stats, that gives us the championship by two pts....thats a whole lot of conceding and a whole lot of "playing average" on our part to make it that close....

You can compare offensive stats and defensive stats all you want. Coldspring will have the rushing advantage because they line up and run the ball far far more than they pass. That "washes" absolutely nothing. You'll need to be very balanced in this game. Every playoff team has brought up the Points Against as well. That stat is skewed because in about 8 Regular season games the starters left the game with 0-10 pts on the board for the opposing team. The backups gave up most of the PA in the 4th qtr when the game was in hand.
In the playoffs since week 2 the starters had to remain in the game longer, but held every offense to well below their normal offensive output.

You won't ever see me bringing up PF or PA strictly because I don't know how the games went down and if the coaching staff pulled the starters. Those stats can be misleading if you don't know the whole story.

I can't tell you what Carthage's pts/game is because it doesn't matter to me. All I can say is this......they will be ready to play.

sinton66
12-14-2010, 07:43 AM
I've never seen Carthage, but two in a row can't be just tossed aside. They obviously know what it takes. I haven't seen Coldspring either, but they REALLY surprised me against Wimberley. This game has the makings of a classic battle. If Coldspring can avoid the first timer's jitters, this could be a good one. Wish I could go watch.

Good luck to both teams, give us something to remember.;)

trojandad
12-14-2010, 08:34 AM
All I can say is this......they will be ready to play.

oh geez, y'all are gonna be ready to play? i was kinda hopin y'all would take the day off with us and go watch that "Tangled" movie with us now that we're in the big city.....we have nothing better to do that day.....:smoker:

look, stats DO matter, both coaching staffs have FAR more stats in front of their men than those dinky ones i put up, they just don't guarantee anything.....you guys have the stats of being diversified and that pressure will be extreme on us, for sure....you have the stats of experience with two state champs, that counts for points...."stats don't matter to me, they're skewered" is a great opinion but i doubt its shared inside of your coaches' briefings....

and please, keep preaching the philosophy that because we primarily run and aren't "well rounded" we can't beat a team that IS well rounded, because LORD knows nobody from coldspring has heard that line this year.....or tell the backfields that have to put up with a 30-50 yd average passing from us on the few passes thrown because a primarily rushing offense doesn't allow a defense to play much more than man coverage in order to stick 8-9 in the box.....

ok, enough jabs from me....look this is high school ball, its not college, or the pros, the higher levels require diversity because they have an all world athletic bunch on the field....high school is this magical world that coaching allows for different schemes to work....garrett gilbert came from a predominant passing school, it worked great in high school, he's sucking wind at texas....

win or lose, if you'll watch our offense, you're in for a treat, people hear "run only" and picture mulligans that can only retain a few plays and powerhouse forward, but the teams we've played can tell you that you'll leave the field feeling differently....our offensive line has more line calls than our backfield has plays, and our backfield has many plays....the majority of the huddle time is spent on line calls, not where the backs are gonna run, every play is run to see how each defensive man leans to this key or that key, then assignments are adjusted for a different play that utilizes that "leaning" or to come back to that same one later with a different blocking scheme...if you see the same blocking scheme from us on different plays its usually because it worked so good, there's no need to adjust, otherwise almost every play of the game will have a different blocking vantage...its a complicated mess, easily as intricate as anyone's passing scheme on a rounded team....its just most teams we face spend their time with overall plays and we spend that time getting the advantage up front....and coach barbay has got these guys drinking the poison by the gallons....:2thumbsup

all i was doing was looking for reasons why our track records might show a hope to not believe we're gonna get blown out by the two time state champs, and i'm glad i found a few....

Gsquared
12-14-2010, 08:50 AM
oh geez, y'all are gonna be ready to play? i was kinda hopin y'all would take the day off with us and go watch that "Tangled" movie with us now that we're in the big city.....we have nothing better to do that day.....:smoker:

look, stats DO matter, both coaching staffs have FAR more stats in front of their men than those dinky ones i put up, they just don't guarantee anything.....you guys have the stats of being diversified and that pressure will be extreme on us, for sure....you have the stats of experience with two state champs, that counts for points...."stats don't matter to me, they're skewered" is a great opinion but i doubt its shared inside of your coaches' briefings....

and please, keep preaching the philosophy that because we primarily run and aren't "well rounded" we can't beat a team that IS well rounded, because LORD knows nobody from coldspring has heard that line this year.....or tell the backfields that have to put up with a 30-50 yd average passing from us on the few passes thrown because a primarily rushing offense doesn't allow a defense to play much more than man coverage in order to stick 8-9 in the box.....

ok, enough jabs from me....look this is high school ball, its not college, or the pros, the higher levels require diversity because they have an all world athletic bunch on the field....high school is this magical world that coaching allows for different schemes to work....garrett gilbert came from a predominant passing school, it worked great in high school, he's sucking wind at texas....

win or lose, if you'll watch our offense, you're in for a treat, people hear "run only" and picture mulligans that can only retain a few plays and powerhouse forward, but the teams we've played can tell you that you'll leave the field feeling differently....our offensive line has more line calls than our backfield has plays, and our backfield has many plays....the majority of the huddle time is spent on line calls, not where the backs are gonna run, every play is run to see how each defensive man leans to this key or that key, then assignments are adjusted for a different play that utilizes that "leaning" or to come back to that same one later with a different blocking scheme...if you see the same blocking scheme from us on different plays its usually because it worked so good, there's no need to adjust, otherwise almost every play of the game will have a different blocking vantage...its a complicated mess, easily as intricate as anyone's passing scheme on a rounded team....its just most teams we face spend their time with overall plays and we spend that time getting the advantage up front....and coach barbay has got these guys drinking the poison by the gallons....:2thumbsup

all i was doing was looking for reasons why our track records might show a hope to not believe we're gonna get blown out by the two time state champs, and i'm glad i found a few....
Very nice!!

db1980
12-14-2010, 09:36 AM

Geez, I wasn't dismissing Coldspring. I was just saying that if I learned anything from this board last week it is that stats don't matter when two polished teams meet. Some brownwood fans boasted over and over that Carthage hadn't seen an offense like they were about to see. I told them there are two sides to every down of football. Coldspring OBVIOUSLY does what they do very well, but are they polished enough in the passing game to do it when they have to? Can they line up and throw on 3rd and 12, or 3rd and 9? Will they have to lean on the run and go for it on 4th down? If Coldspring stays ahead of the sticks they will be fine and can win this game. That's no doubt, but if they see many 3rd and longs or 4th downs it can be a long night for them.

I will say both teams have great defenses. You can argue the PA arguement all you want, Carthage has a great defense. I will say that which ever team keeps the opposing defense off balance will win the game. Right now Carthage's balanced attack gives them an slight EDGE, not a big time advantage like you think I might have meant.

trojandad
12-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Geez, I wasn't dismissing Coldspring. I was just saying that if I learned anything from this board last week it is that stats don't matter when two polished teams meet. Some brownwood fans boasted over and over that Carthage hadn't seen an offense like they were about to see. I told them there are two sides to every down of football. Coldspring OBVIOUSLY does what they do very well, but are they polished enough in the passing game to do it when they have to? Can they line up and throw on 3rd and 12, or 3rd and 9? Will they have to lean on the run and go for it on 4th down? If Coldspring stays ahead of the sticks they will be fine and can win this game. That's no doubt, but if they see many 3rd and longs or 4th downs it can be a long night for them.

I will say both teams have great defenses. You can argue the PA arguement all you want, Carthage has a great defense. I will say that which ever team keeps the opposing defense off balance will win the game. Right now Carthage's balanced attack gives them an slight EDGE, not a big time advantage like you think I might have meant.

well i picked you guys to beat b'wood cause nothing on the field happens from the talk of people out here, no matter how vicariously they might be living their lives thru their teams...polls lull kids to sleep sometimes, i've known we had this team since about the fifth game of the season, but we weren't on any polls, we'd lost our first game to the best team we'd play until later in the season and it just made no sense to beat the drum out here until we had the track record to back up our play.....guess what, we do now....

i'll tell you the most dangerous stat of all IMO from carthage, its the two losses you guys have, i'd rather play you guys with you undefeated than with two losses....the losses show that you guys have fought through the "you arent the same team that ran the table last year"....you've had to prove yourself this year coming from a beatable point of view like we have and that can be a dangerous thing for a team to have working, it has been for us....most of the year i was saying how i felt k'ville was beatable but because of our first game loss without gilbert and others (and a new qb) it was just tough to be given credibility, sorta like your game with b'wood with them being undefeated....

the best thing about a win against you guys, if we were lucky enough to get it, is what it would do for our program in the near future...we are loaded for a few years to come and to have a win over such a great program like carthage would sure be incredible motivation for the guys coming up in the offseasons and beyond...

db1980
12-14-2010, 10:06 AM
well i picked you guys to beat b'wood cause nothing on the field happens from the talk of people out here, no matter how vicariously they might be living their lives thru their teams...polls lull kids to sleep sometimes, i've known we had this team since about the fifth game of the season, but we weren't on any polls, we'd lost our first game to the best team we'd play until later in the season and it just made no sense to beat the drum out here until we had the track record to back up our play.....guess what, we do now....

i'll tell you the most dangerous stat of all IMO from carthage, its the two losses you guys have, i'd rather play you guys with you undefeated than with two losses....the losses show that you guys have fought through the "you arent the same team that ran the table last year"....you've had to prove yourself this year coming from a beatable point of view like we have and that can be a dangerous thing for a team to have working, it has been for us....most of the year i was saying how i felt k'ville was beatable but because of our first game loss with gilbert and others (and a new qb) it was just tough to be given credibility, sorta like your game with b'wood with them being undefeated....

the best thing about a win against you guys, if we were lucky enough to get it, is what it would do for our program in the near future...we are loaded for a few years to come and to have a win over such a great program like carthage would sure be incredible motivation for the guys coming up in the offseasons and beyond...

Win or lose Coldspring has elevated their program. If they win they will want it again. If they lose, they will not forget that pain and work even harder. I thought it was a shame that Brownwood had to quit playing this season with as good a team as they had, but that is just the way it is. Not everybody gets a trophy. Both teams better buckle the chinstrap because this one will be very physical.

pirate4state
12-14-2010, 10:09 AM
In case you missed it (among the stickies) here is the meet & Greet info (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109664). Hope to see some of you there.

trojandad
12-14-2010, 10:15 AM
In case you missed it (among the stickies) here is the meet & Greet info (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109664). Hope to see some of you there.

sure wish i could make it, but i'll be arriving about 3 and have to get ready for my son walking across the stage in his cap and gown the next morning at 10 (who graduates at 10 am? lol)...i could maybe stay an hour or so after the game to eat but i'm sure everyone will be at the 2nd game.....

are you gonna get to make the game, pirate?

Tejastrue
12-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Let's keep it going! :cheerl: My withdrawal symptoms are beginning to subside. :thumbsup:

:thinking: I understand Trojandad. I think an undefeated season is a great accomplishment but I sometimes wonder if we (Texans) had lost, say maybe the Sealy game, and experienced the bitter taste of it, then maybe we would have been a better team for it. Still, I'm not sure it would have made any difference against you guys.

"A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby."

wimbo_pro
12-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Stats DO matter, but arent the "tell all". However, taken in the marcro, they do tell a story. TrojanDad is hitting on what I think will be the only way Coldsrping can win this game...DEFENSE. If CS defense does their thing as they have all year and all play offs, I think they can win this game.

But...this game isnt played "in the macro". And this is where Carthage has such a huge advantage. They are a King of Kings right now...how intimidating is that?!? What can you say about this kind of success. I am sure Coldspring is saying they dont "fear" anybody, but they should. They better have some fear...and deal with it by working hard this week. Fear is a good thing...its when you are frightened of losing that you get serious with your effort.

I am going against the flow, picking Coldspring and their ability to get it done on defense. And yes, there is an emotional component to my pick...I want the team who beat us to be #1, and I like TrojanDad!

pirate4state
12-14-2010, 10:24 AM
sure wish i could make it, but i'll be arriving about 3 and have to get ready for my son walking across the stage in his cap and gown the next morning at 10 (who graduates at 10 am? lol)...i could maybe stay an hour or so after the game to eat but i'm sure everyone will be at the 2nd game.....

are you gonna get to make the game, pirate?

Yes, I will be there. We are meeting at half time of the 3A game and before the 4A game.

I have your # so I'll text you.

trojandad
12-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Let's keep it going! :cheerl: My withdrawal symptoms are beginning to subside. :thumbsup:

:thinking: I understand Trojandad. I think an undefeated season is a great accomplishment but I sometimes wonder if we (Texans) had lost, say maybe the Sealy game, and experienced the bitter taste of it, then maybe we would have been a better team for it. Still, I'm not sure it would have made any difference against you guys.

"A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby."

you talk about "keeping it going" but one thing a buddy of mine were talking about that would be a handful on here would be this: suppose, just for a second, the weirdest of happenings occurred and we happened to bust a few runs, played lights out defense, that it ended up being "just our day" against carthage and beat them by a sizeable margin (don't believe it'll happen, just talking a 1 in a million thing).....can you imagine the talk on here the next few weeks with other good teams like k'ville and you guys harshing on b'wood and others from regions 1 & 2 doing the comparisons and giving all those teams sitting at home grief??!?! the mods would have to break out the fire hoses....:evilgrin:

trojandad
12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Fear is a good thing...its when you are frightened of losing that you get serious with your effort.

amen, brother.....preach it....

:iagree:

Tejastrue
12-14-2010, 10:32 AM
you talk about "keeping it going" but one thing a buddy of mine were talking about that would be a handful on here would be this: suppose, just for a second, the weirdest of happenings occurred and we happened to bust a few runs, played lights out defense, that it ended up being "just our day" against carthage and beat them by a sizeable margin (don't believe it'll happen, just talking a 1 in a million thing).....can you imagine the talk on here the next few weeks with other good teams like k'ville and you guys harshing on b'wood and others from regions 1 & 2 doing the comparisons and giving all those teams sitting at home grief??!?! the mods would have to break out the fire hoses....:evilgrin:

Yes indeed, besides rain to end this Texas drought, it is what I am praying for. :D :evilgrin: :evillol:

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."

LionFan72
12-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I've never seen Carthage, but two in a row can't be just tossed aside. They obviously know what it takes. I haven't seen Coldspring either, but they REALLY surprised me against Wimberley. This game has the makings of a classic battle. If Coldspring can avoid the first timer's jitters, this could be a good one. Wish I could go watch.

Good luck to both teams, give us something to remember.;)

I have never seen Coldspring play either, but from the prospective of championship football, DEFENSE still wins championships! Based on the recent events of semi final games, I think this may turn into a defensive dominated smash mouth type affair. I believe the turnover battle will decide the battle. Remember you can watch on FSN if you can't attend in person. I do believe that it will be a monster game. Both teams deserve to be here, let's see who will step up to the next level. Good luck to both teams!

MoveInDad
12-14-2010, 02:24 PM

Not disagreeing necessarily, however one look at Euless Trinity, will tell you that you CAN just run the ball and win... they have completed just 11 passes in their last 2 games, while compiling 1,000 yds of offense.

j_dog
12-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
Not disagreeing necessarily, however one look at Euless Trinity, will tell you that you CAN just run the ball and win... they have completed just 11 passes in their last 2 games, while compiling 1,000 yds of offense.
Agreed. I have seen the CS offense. There is nothing dull about it. It is more like they are doing their passing behind the line of scrimmage after they create mis-matches. And with the speed they have, any team that guesses wrong it is going to be "chase him down if you can" time. I have not seen anybody chase him down yet.

db1980
12-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad

Trinity doesn't run the Wing or Slot T either do they?

rolldawgs
12-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Well, it will definitely be a night-n-day difference for the Carthage defense this week. After facing the tremendous aerial assault of Brownwood, they'll now face a team that brings it big-time on the ground.

Carthage hasn't had a "lights-out" run defense, but they haven't had many opportunities like they do this week to build an entire defensive game plan to stop the run. Carthage has faced primarily spread offenses, and when you are spread all over the field, you're going to give up some running yards.

It's better explained this way - Brownwood was able to pick up some pretty good rushing yards. But do you think their rushes would have been as effective if they didn't also have perhaps the best passing attack in the state? OK, that's pretty obvious stuff, and could be applied to any defense not totally focused on the run, so to be more specific for this game....

From a purely physical aspect, I believe that Carthage has the overall athleticism to at least slow down Coldspring's attack - certainly more than the Trojans are used to. But, the Trojan running game is very comlex, with traps, draws, counters, etc.. the types of things that work against a dominant d-line, much less one that doesn't have the advantage in the first place.

So...IMO...running backs will have holes, no doubt, but Carthage's closing speed on any ball carrier (something the BW posters were amazed by) will keep SOME of those normally 10-15 yd. gashes to only 3-5 yards. Coldspring will still move the ball in chunks, but the 60 yard runs will be very hard to achieve. This is not such a bad thing, of course, because the longer you can keep the Dawg offense off the field, the better your chances of hanging with them.

Which brings me to what I think is the REAL KEY to this game. Can Coldspring slow down the Carthage offense, something that no one has been able to do, not even for a half? (as Wimberly did to Coldspring)

More on that in another post; gotta go for now and I'm getting too long-winded anyway; sorry.

wimbo_pro
12-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by rolldawgs
Which brings me to what I think is the REAL KEY to this game. Can Coldspring slow down the Carthage offense, something that no one has been able to do, not even for a half? (as Wimberly did to Coldspring).

You are so correct...I say it will be whose defense dominates whom. Both will score, both will move the ball, both will get/create turnovers. The question will come down to whose defense gets it done when it counts the most (red zone). If Carthage's defense is better than Coldsrpings, then I am in total awe of them.

One more intangible...the special teams. Coldspring is not very good in this category, and they know it. They dont try to hide it or pretend that they do have a kicking game, and they sure as hell dont want to punt, though we were able to make them punt several times. But their coverage teams are pretty good...well...very good. But still, to go into a Championship game with a glaring weakness like the kicking game MIGHT be a problem in the end. I hope not for CS's sake...but its possible.

ronwx5x
12-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Which brings me to what I think is the REAL KEY to this game. Can Coldspring slow down the Carthage offense, something that no one has been able to do, not even for a half? (as Wimberly did to Coldspring)

That may not be exactly true since Carthage lost to Chapel Hill 14-46 and Nacogdoches 20-41. Looks like they may have figured out a way to contain that offense. Nacogdoches is 4A, but Chapel Hill is 3A.

trojandad
12-14-2010, 04:22 PM
You are so correct...I say it will be whose defense dominates whom. Both will score, both will move the ball, both will get/create turnovers. The question will come down to whose defense gets it done when it counts the most (red zone). If Carthage's defense is better than Coldsrpings, then I am in total awe of them.

One more intangible...the special teams. Coldspring is not very good in this category, and they know it. They dont try to hide it or pretend that they do have a kicking game, and they sure as hell dont want to punt, though we were able to make them punt several times. But their coverage teams are pretty good...well...very good. But still, to go into a Championship game with a glaring weakness like the kicking game MIGHT be a problem in the end. I hope not for CS's sake...but its possible.

we bite our nails every game over whats going to happen in the kicking game this week.....nobody has run one back this year on kicks tho, our team speed bales us out as you saw....carthage is obviously going to be the most well rounded group on the field, if they were to lose by 100 there would still be goosebumps being on the field with them in this setting....one thing i hope this game shows is the quality of teams we had to beat in order to get here....i might end up being wrong, but i just don't believe carthage is the only team that could have played b'wood a good game, if not won.....

wimbo_pro
12-14-2010, 04:26 PM
History should record Coldspring as either the #1 or #2 best team in Division 2 for the year 2010. It's that simple!

Inmateboss
12-14-2010, 05:43 PM

Yeah what he said!!! :iagree: :2thumbsup

db1980
12-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
That may not be exactly true since Carthage lost to Chapel Hill 14-46 and Nacogdoches 20-41. Looks like they may have figured out a way to contain that offense. Nacogdoches is 4A, but Chapel Hill is 3A.

All state LB Kendall Thompson and Edward Pope were both missing from the defense for the first 4-5 games. Their Offense was good, but not what it is now. Chapel Hill played in the Div 1 SC last week and Nacogdoches finished 3-7 in a very tough 4a district (Tyler John Tyler, Whitehouse, Hallsville, Jacksonville, Kilgore Marshall) filled with perrenial Powers. Nac. isn't a slouch.

You should've been paying attention last week when Brownwood kept bringing this stuff up.

Inmateboss
12-14-2010, 05:53 PM
History should record Coldspring as either the #1 or #2 best team in Division 2 for the year 2010. It's that simple!

#1 is how it's going to be listed!!!Coldspring is gonna take it, might not be by much! But even by 1 counts!!! Trust me I know for a fact!!! :doh:

trojandad
12-14-2010, 05:56 PM
All state LB Kendall Thompson and Edward Pope were both missing from the defense for the first 4-5 games. Their Offense was good, but not what it is now. Chapel Hill played in the Div 1 SC last week and Nacogdoches finished 3-7 in a very tough 4a district (Tyler John Tyler, Whitehouse, Hallsville, Jacksonville, Kilgore Marshall) filled with perrenial Powers. Nac. isn't a slouch.

You should've been paying attention last week when Brownwood kept bringing this stuff up.

very true, you guys had a tough stretch of opponents....but using your numbers with the 30 pt chapel hill loss, we beat an athens team by the same 30 pt gap that played chapel hill to a 3 pt game.....doesnt make us 60 pt favs, i know.....lol....you guys are like us, just on a roll......and nothing like either of us were in the early part of the season.....

ronwx5x
12-14-2010, 05:58 PM

Well, I have followed Carthage and many others all year long, including last week. I was not responding to last weeks post, just yours that stated no one has been able to stop Carthage's offense. Yes, they have been stopped, injuries or not. I like Carthage's team as well as Coldspring's. Chapel Hill is good, and stopped Carthage's game. I'm not so sure how good Nacogdoches is.

trojandad
12-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Inmateboss
#1 is how it's going to be listed!!!Coldspring is gonna take it, might not be by much! But even by 1 counts!!! Trust me I know for a fact!!! :doh:

you think they'll give us the top spot if we win it all? i'm so used to hearing how one dimensional teams can't take the title from rounded ones it's like i expect for an exception clause to show up as they hand us the trophy....."attn: the sportswriters rule that all running teams can only be awarded third place at best".....:dispntd:

cowboyandchrist
12-14-2010, 06:06 PM

Let me see if I can help with the Carthage D. 6'3" 237 LB 4.4 linebacker. 6'"4 220 4.4 safety, both all state last year, both in the top 100 hundred of there recruiting classes. They can stop the run. Will CARTHAGE beat Coldspring. I don't know. What I do know is Carthage has been there twice before. There will not be the wow factor for them. It will be for Coldspring. Carthage will not let the pressure get to them. Now will Coldspring be able to handle the biggest game in Texas 3A football. Friday we will all know. I played for the Dogs back in the seventies, so I will have to go with them 35 to 28. Both will have the speed, I mean they are both from East Texas. It will boil down to coaching and mistakes. If Carthage holds Coldspring on the first series and takes the ball down and scores, it will be a long night for Coldspring. If Coldspring gets the ball first and scores, it will be good for there mental game. Just my 2 cents worth. God Bless.

RealDawgFan
12-14-2010, 06:15 PM
I don't think you can judge Carthage by the loss to Chapel Hill or Nacogdoches just like we cannot judge Coldspring by their loss to Kirbyville at the beginning of the year. That was a long time ago and many things have changed for both teams.

Second, as for stats. They are great for looking at what teams have done in the past and what they will possibly do in the future, but we all know that they don't always reflect the real story behind a game or even a season.

This is what I know about Carthage. Just because they ran the ball 60% or 70% or whatever in the last game or the game before means absolutely nothing this week. Carthage has a great passing game and a great running game. Special Teams knows how to get the job done. The defense has shown improvement EVERY week. Surratt will have a game plan that will include running, passing, QB keepers, and trick plays. You never know who is going to turn up with the ball when Carthage offense is in the game. The defense will swarm the ball regardless of who is carrying it. Coldspring may get some yards, maybe even some big yards, but the Carthage defense will stop them when necessary.

This will not be a blow out. Again it will be close within 2 TDs. Coldspring will score first after moving the ball all the way down the field, probably without even throwing a pass. Carthage will run a little and pass a little (short passes), then go over the top with several long ones to either Claiborne or Ware (maybe Pope) for a score. It will go back and forth until half. Carthage will make major adjustments at half and will start making a difference. Carthage win 42 to 28.

Carthage may not stop the run, but they will slow it enough to make a difference. I'm not sure Coldspring has what it takes to stop the Carthage passing game. That will be the difference!

LionFan72
12-14-2010, 06:21 PM

I was paying attention, and it is an indicator that Carthage lost two games only, not sure how a defensive player missing helps the offense, but that is your opinion, and I will respect that. I would say that the two losses by Carthage built the team into what it is today, a very good semi-final champion. I also think that Coldspring is deserving of the semi-final championship they won. No excuses, just hands down the final two teams left in the best classification 3A for the championship. Line em up and let's get it on, should be exciting!

trojandad
12-14-2010, 06:22 PM
If Carthage holds Coldspring on the first series and takes the ball down and scores, it will be a long night for Coldspring.

just for those that didnt know, kirbyville had us down 20 - 8 with 8:00 left in the 3rd and were driving again when we recovered and scored three times....its just not an offense that takes time to score as is the common thought of a "running" offense.....the kids are tough minded when down.....

trojandad
12-14-2010, 06:24 PM
I was paying attention, and it is an indicator that Carthage lost two games only, not sure how a defensive player missing helps the offense, but that is your opinion, and I will respect that. I would say that the two losses by Carthage built the team into what it is today, a very good semi-final champion. I also think that Coldspring is deserving of the semi-final championship they won. No excuses, just hands down the final two teams left in the best classification 3A for the championship. Line em up and let's get it on, should be exciting!

thanks, lionfan, means a lot coming from someone following your team....

Tejastrue
12-14-2010, 06:29 PM

LionFan72, as much as it hurts to say it......:iagree:

LionFan72
12-14-2010, 06:56 PM
The difference will be who stops whom!

Don't have a dog in the fight, so does not matter, but I will side with a Carthage win, believe that they do have a winner, but then I was wrong last week too!:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Tejastrue
12-14-2010, 09:39 PM
The difference will be who stops whom!

Don't have a dog in the fight, so does not matter, but I will side with a Carthage win, believe that they do have a winner, but then I was wrong last week too!:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Hope you don't mind me saying but I think your opinion is based souly on the fact they beat you guys and well, to be honest, I'm feeling the same thing about Coldspring. I think the Texans could have held their own against BW or Carthage. A Coldspring win would solidify my feelings. The fact I feel this strong about Wimberley reflects my respect for the Trojans. That's why I'm going with Coldspring. :clap:

Inmateboss
12-14-2010, 10:15 PM
you think they'll give us the top spot if we win it all? i'm so used to hearing how one dimensional teams can't take the title from rounded ones it's like i expect for an exception clause to show up as they hand us the trophy....."attn: the sportswriters rule that all running teams can only be awarded third place at best".....:dispntd:

as you stand there holding "THE" trophy!!! Who cares what those magoos think or do!! Graham went to the state championship game having lost 1 game by 1 point and lost the SC by 1 point and I don't think we were ever ranked over maybe 7th or some stupid # like that, but who cares!!! Ranking is just some guys opinon!!! Now go get that Trophy and don't even look at where your ranked after the game, it won't matter!!!!

GO COLDSPRING!!!!!!

Inmateboss
12-14-2010, 10:31 PM

What Carthage did early on is MOOT!!! What Carthage did last week is all that matters!! I'm hollering for coldspring, I like the underdog, but I also know that Carthage is a powerhouse!! Just because you get to go to the SC does not mean you can't be beat! But you have to have your A game start to finish, dropped pass, missed tackle, any little mistake will cost you dearly!! Hope both teams play to their potential, and have no injuries!!!
Game On!!

Inmateboss
12-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Hope you don't mind me saying but I think your opinion is based souly on the fact they beat you guys and well, to be honest, I'm feeling the same thing about Coldspring. I think the Texans could have held their own against BW or Carthage. A Coldspring win would solidify my feelings. The fact I feel this strong about Wimberley reflects my respect for the Trojans. That's why I'm going with Coldspring. :clap:

Heard That!!!:iagree: :2thumbsup

LionFan72
12-14-2010, 10:42 PM

Really? really? You think! Gotcha, I think it could go either way, honestly. The intangible is I think Carthage has been here before and thrown a little more successfully than Coldsprings, gives them a little edge IMHO. But I really think the football can bounce either way. JerryWorld (aka Cowboy Stadium) is awesome and a huge distraction. No way the kids can prepare for that.

Dawgdaze
12-14-2010, 10:46 PM
I believe Liberty Hill won back to back State Championships running the 'Wing-T' offense did they not? They weren't much of a passing team either. Guess who they ran through to get their second state title in 2007? Yep. Carthage 14 - Liberty Hill 41. We couldn't stop their run. I believe we played another team that ran it last year in Caldwell and they did good with it. We just did better. Result: Carthage 56 Caldwell 41

Dawgdaze
12-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Really? really? You think! Gotcha, I think it could go either way, honestly. The intangible is I think Carthage has been here before and thrown a little more successfully than Coldsprings, gives them a little edge IMHO. But I really think the football can bounce either way. JerryWorld (aka Cowboy Stadium) is awesome and a huge distraction. No way the kids can prepare for that.

Carthage is trying their best. Been practicing in an new indoor facility courtesy of the Henderson Lions with an 80-yard football field and endzone.

LionFan72
12-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Hope you don't mind me saying but I think your opinion is based souly on the fact they beat you guys and well, to be honest, I'm feeling the same thing about Coldspring.

I don't mind a bit Tejastrue, I am from Brownwood thru and thru, but I am a true HS football fan first, has little to do with losing last week. Carthage won the game, but they did not "beat us". It was a very close game to the wire, and could have gone either way. No offense taken. I just had the pleasure of watching Carthage play last week, would have loved to see Wimb-CS game too. I lost on that one as I picked Wimberley.

My take is--defense wins championships. Whoever steps up on defense wins this game. I know Carthage is 2 dimensional, more inclined to run, but with efficient passing. From what info I could find on Coldspring, the lean heavily on the run, tuff to catch up if you can't get the ball downfield. But then you might have to consider the Liberty Hill run....they made it work. I am still defense oriented, I say winner takes the trophy with 7 or less points.

LionFan72
12-14-2010, 11:01 PM
I believe Liberty Hill won back to back State Championships running the 'Wing-T' offense did they not? They weren't much of a passing team either. Guess who they ran through to get their second state title in 2007? Yep. Carthage 14 - Liberty Hill 41. We couldn't stop their run. I believe we played another team that ran it last year in Caldwell and they did good with it. We just did better. Result: Carthage 56 Caldwell 41

Liberty Hill ran the Slot-T, with an amazing QB and RB's. Work of art!

Tejastrue
12-14-2010, 11:07 PM

Meant no disrespect. You seem to be one of the more level headed BW fans on here. It is appreciated. Carthage has the recent history and momentum because of it. I just think people will be surprised with this Coldspring team. Hopefully the distractions of Jerryworld will subside after the first series of downs for both teams. We thought our balanced passing attack and running game would be a difference as well, but to no avail. Whoever wins will definitely be deserving of the title and the #1 ranking in the state. Any losses on the record mean nothing at this point!

LionFan72
12-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Carthage is trying their best. Been practicing in an new indoor facility courtesy of the Henderson Lions with an 80-yard football field and endzone.

You know how the coaches always give the same old tired speech, "the field is the same size, 100 yards long and 50 yards wide??" Sorry, hate to tell you, but this does not apply here. I am old, and all I could say is WOW. The video boards, you can actually see freckles on the boys on the field.

Dawgdaze
12-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Liberty Hill ran the Slot-T, with an amazing QB and RB's. Work of art!

Weren't they? I never could tell where the ball was either until they were at least 5 yards down the field.

j_dog
12-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Good points that I wanted to make. I only saw a LH team once and it took them a while to adjust to "East Texas" speed. From what I have read the state championship LH teams (including 2007) may not have had any more speed than their 2004 team did. LH fans could speak to that. The difference I suspect between typical LH teams and Coldspring is the "East Texas" speed that Coldspring brings to the game.

I know that Carthage has speed also, and just about everything else needed to win. I think this is going to be one heck of a game! I am hoping for a foot race to the end zone just to see who is faster. :)

rolldawgs
12-14-2010, 11:12 PM
OK, let me throw in my two cents on the Carthage offense vs. Coldspring defense, which I hear is pretty stout against the run.

The beauty in watching Carhage's offense go to work is that you can see the "chess match" taking place on most every down, with the QB Morgan being given lots of rein to audible into whatever the defense is giving him. He has several options every time they break the huddle, and you'll see him check into something other than the primary play-call a large percentage of the time. It's a well-oiled and balanced machine, with excellent EXECUTION that comes from all of these same skill guys having worked together through last years Championshop as well as this year's run.

It's no secret that Hunter Holland is a beast who ran for more than 300 yards last week, because it was "there" for the taking. Stack the box to stop Holland, and you'll see why Morgan threw for just under 3300 yards this year. (74 TD throws the last two yrs)

So...lets say that Coldspring has the defensive line to pretty much stop Holland (and you just might; but good luck with that). But do you also have the secondary to match up with a prolific passing attack? Serious question, since maybe you have that too for all I know.

Another serious question; no smack talk intended - Which teams has Coldspring faced this year that have a 3000+yds QB and a 2500 yd rusher in the same backfield?

Certainly no one outside of the staff could tell you whether you'll see us come out throwing the ball all over the field or trying to play smash mouth. Probably a little of both until Surratt and/or Morgan see what's "there".

Dawgdaze
12-14-2010, 11:14 PM
You know how the coaches always give the same old tired speech, "the field is the same size, 100 yards long and 50 yards wide??" Sorry, hate to tell you, but this does not apply here. I am old, and all I could say is WOW. The video boards, you can actually see freckles on the boys on the field.

That is amazing. So that's where a large chunk of the Billion went! LOL.

LionFan72
12-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Yes, really. Meant no disrespect. You seem to be one of the more level headed BW fans on here. It is appreciated. Carthage has the recent history and momentum because of it. I just think people will be surprised with this Coldspring team. Hopefully the distractions of Jerryworld will subside after the first series of downs for both teams. We thought our balanced passing attack and running game would be a difference as well, but to no avail. Whoever wins will definitely be deserving of the title and the #1 ranking in the state. Any losses on the record mean nothing at this point!

None taken, partner! I see a hard hitting even match coming! Best wishes to both teams,

Wish we were gonna play each other; I looked forward to a Wimberly-Brownwood matchup, would have been fun I think!

LionFan72
12-14-2010, 11:27 PM
That is amazing. So that's where a large chunk of the Billion went! LOL.

Just watch the kids on the sidelines, they are "watching the game" too! Hope, hope, the distractions don't prevail....good luck! not as if either of you need any...........

Tejastrue
12-14-2010, 11:30 PM
OK, let me throw in my two cents on the Carthage offense vs. Coldspring defense, which I hear is pretty stout against the run.

The beauty in watching Carhage's offense go to work is that you can see the "chess match" taking place on most every down, with the QB Morgan being given lots of rein to audible into whatever the defense is giving him. He has several options every time they break the huddle, and you'll see him check into something other than the primary play-call a large percentage of the time. It's a well-oiled and balanced machine, with excellent EXECUTION that comes from all of these same skill guys having worked together through last years Championshop as well as this year's run.

It's no secret that Hunter Holland is a beast who ran for more than 300 yards last week, because it was "there" for the taking. Stack the box to stop Holland, and you'll see why Morgan threw for just under 3300 yards this year. (74 TD throws the last two yrs)

So...lets say that Coldspring has the defensive line to pretty much stop Holland (and you just might; but good luck with that). But do you also have the secondary to match up with a prolific passing attack? Serious question, since maybe you have that too for all I know.

Another serious question; no smack talk intended - Which teams has Coldspring faced this year that have a 3000+yds QB and a 2500 yd rusher in the same backfield?

Certainly no one outside of the staff could tell you whether you'll see us come out throwing the ball all over the field or trying to play smash mouth. Probably a little of both until Surratt and/or Morgan see what's "there".

Well, just something to think about, Coldspring has their own near 2500 yd rusher and another who would have surpassed that if not for injuries early on. BW gave you guys all you could handle. I just think at this stage, the last 4-6 teams are somewhat evenly matched, may not be apples to apples, but they balance out. Oh yes, Coldspring also has a pretty good coach.

Dawgdaze
12-14-2010, 11:38 PM
I am thinking you are right. This is going to be a high scoring game.

LIONS#1
12-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Well I am going to say Carthage by 14. They are a very well coached team and as others have stated as fast as Brownwood was. The only weakness I witnessed was when Brownwood ran the hurry up offense those D linemen were puffin real hard because they are big guys and we passed more in that 4Th quarter. Coldspring could run a hurry up running game like Liberty Hill ran during their reign and that might be the answer. Otherwise I just think Th'dawgs just have to much talent ....+ I haven't witnessed Coldspring so there you have my assessment. Make me a believer!!!:cool:

rolldawgs
12-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Carthage already knows from the Championship games the last two years, and Coldspring will have a better understanding of it after this game (win or lose), that any two teams that make it to this game are absolutely in for a war with each other.

The lopsided scores, physical mis-matches, and speed advantages are a thing of the past at the semi-final and final stages. What you've seen all year will not be what you see this Friday. What you will see are the
last two remaining teams in 3A slugging it out with each other and
there will be battles won and lost all night long for both sides.

As is fitting for a Championship game, it will come down to the "little" things that determine so many close contests - field position, turnovers, special teams, and EXECUTION, EXECUTION, EXECUTION.

Can't wait!

Go Dawgs!!
Go Pearland Oilers!!

LIONS#1
12-14-2010, 11:50 PM
None taken, partner! I see a hard hitting even match coming! Best wishes to both teams,

Wish we were gonna play each other; I looked forward to a Wimberly-Brownwood matchup, would have been fun I think!
To bad they don't have a consolation game for Brownwood vs Wimberly:nerd: Like in Basketball tournaments...LOL

LionFan72
12-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Please don't add fodder to the UIL, we already have 2 champions in each class.......I am from the old school, give me my 1 state champion back, settle it on the field.

Dawgdaze
12-15-2010, 12:05 AM
I think instead of all the posters on here comparing Brownwood or talking about Brownwood you need to not overlook Argyle. I imagine Argyle will be the team to beat next year and they were a VERY good team and they were HUGE. The whole football team was huge.
And in no way does Kirbyville stand up to either of these teams as far as comparison.

Gsquared
12-15-2010, 07:44 AM
I think before the cointoss the white hat needs to say "no punches below the belt, return to your sideline and come out fighting" Gonna be a heavy weight fight.

Aesculus gilmus
12-15-2010, 08:02 AM
I think before the cointoss the white hat needs to say "no punches below the belt, return to your sideline and come out fighting" Gonna be a heavy weight fight.

I hope it's a good game. The one thing I cannot get used to is a game starting on a Friday afternoon at 4 p.m. It just doesn't seem right. What's strange is that if it were on Saturday afternoon, it wouldn't seem that way.

trojandad
12-15-2010, 08:13 AM

i'm gonna say this, and i think you guys know me well enough to know i mean nothing negative by it, but i would have loved to have seen the wimberley team without smith coming back....you guys had been on such a roll without him for so long and, while he's a great athlete, sometimes that chemistry is really fickle...all the chemistry we had this year was replacing our primary rb from last year who led us 3 levels deep with his backups and look what happened, common sense would have been to continue with the horse we rode this far with....

we had never played you guys before and you've had such a great track record through the years, and it was obvious there was some serious discipline taught there, it was just on that night things looked just a little off, the timing just a little sideways....i don't believe we saw the same team that played sealy or cuero twice...

trojandad
12-15-2010, 08:17 AM
I think instead of all the posters on here comparing Brownwood or talking about Brownwood you need to not overlook Argyle. I imagine Argyle will be the team to beat next year and they were a VERY good team and they were HUGE. The whole football team was huge.
And in no way does Kirbyville stand up to either of these teams as far as comparison.

hey, dawgdaze, question, did you get to see kirbyville this year? i didn't know if you were someone who had seen all 3 teams (argyle,b'wood & k'ville) or you were giving unseen opinions....just havent found anyone yet who had seen all three....

pirate4state
12-15-2010, 10:01 AM
i just hope both teams can get past the "awwww" of Cowboys stadium and just play ball.

Dawgdaze
12-15-2010, 10:35 AM
hey, dawgdaze, question, did you get to see kirbyville this year? i didn't know if you were someone who had seen all 3 teams (argyle,b'wood & k'ville) or you were giving unseen opinions....just havent found anyone yet who had seen all three....

No just an unseen opinion that Kirbyville was an above average team in a weak district that included Center, Diboll, Jasper, and Huntington. Just my opinion.

j_dog
12-15-2010, 11:14 AM
No just an unseen opinion that Kirbyville was an above average team in a weak district that included Center, Diboll, Jasper, and Huntington. Just my opinion.
No question, Kirbyville's district was weak this year. It does not necessarily follow that Kirbyville played weak non-district games nor weak play-off teams.

Without a doubt Carthage comes from the stronger district. You are probably right in your assessment, but perhaps we can better judge how strong Kirbyville was after the game Friday.

BwdLion73
12-15-2010, 11:19 AM

It will be a game for the kids and fans to remember. I spent 75% of my time watching the video board when we played All Saints. Don't get to low or you will have a crick in your neck. ;)

Good health to both teams....go Carthage

wimbo_pro
12-15-2010, 02:17 PM
i'm gonna say this, and i think you guys know me well enough to know i mean nothing negative by it, but i would have loved to have seen the wimberley team without smith coming back....you guys had been on such a roll without him for so long and, while he's a great athlete, sometimes that chemistry is really fickle...all the chemistry we had this year was replacing our primary rb from last year who led us 3 levels deep with his backups and look what happened, common sense would have been to continue with the horse we rode this far with....

we had never played you guys before and you've had such a great track record through the years, and it was obvious there was some serious discipline taught there, it was just on that night things looked just a little off, the timing just a little sideways....i don't believe we saw the same team that played sealy or cuero twice...

I dont think Smith had one bit of influence on the team either way. He was a total non-factor. You are correct though...we were not hitting on all cylinders. We were out of sync, out of timing, just "out" of mojo. I credit you guys for the main reason for that. But I didnt want to make excuses for our loss. We just didnt get it done.

With that said...even with total domination by Coldspring, we were able to make it a game in the end. If we had scored and been down 6 points with 3 minutes or so to go, we just might have gotten the on-side kick again. But alas...you guys shut us down. The score wasnt indicative of the game...we were beaten worse than 13 points.

rolldawgs
12-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Perhaps someone who attended the Henderson SC game can answer a question - does the security at Cowboys allow fans to be on the field with the boys after the game?

Even if so, I'm concerned that they'll try to get everyone moving too quickly off the field this weekend because of the next game being played at 8pm.

BwdLion73
12-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Perhaps someone who attended the Henderson SC game can answer a question - does the security at Cowboys allow fans to be on the field with the boys after the game?

Even if so, I'm concerned that they'll try to get everyone moving too quickly off the field this weekend because of the next game being played at 8pm.

You might check their web site. I know they would not let fans on when we were there. They also have some strict rules about noise makers and even the size of camera you are allowed to bring in. Security was at the gates checking purses ect.

rolldawgs
12-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the info. Obviously, it will be a thrill for the boys to play there, and it's about them; not the fans. But...I'm sure that most of the players will also miss having family come down after the game for hugs and pictures and such.

Not a huge deal, and understandable because of the chaos it creates, but a shame - it just seems like such a tradition of HS football.

RealDawgFan
12-15-2010, 05:40 PM
According to the website, no one is allowed on the field without proper credentials before, during or after the game. :crying:

Really don't like that rule! The boys deserve to have their families and friends to congratulate them after the game especially at this level.

rykerx144
12-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by LIONS#1
To bad they don't have a consolation game for Brownwood vs Wimberly:nerd: Like in Basketball tournaments...LOL

Kirbyville vs Brownwood would have been a much better game to watch. Wimberly woundnt have put up much of a fight against Brownwood.

Tejastrue
12-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by rykerx144
Kirbyville vs Brownwood would have been a much better game to watch. Wimberly woundnt have put up much of a fight against Brownwood.

So little knowledge of WimberlEy. Same thing said about us before last years game. :D

rykerx144
12-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Coldspring could help be the judge of that. They played both the past few weeks.

wimbo_pro
12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
So little knowledge of WimberlEy. Same thing said about us before last years game. :D

I would agree that BW's strength was our defensive weakness, which usually is bad news. However, with BW's defense, we might have been able to mitigate their passing attack. We'll never know.

Tejastrue
12-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by rykerx144
Coldspring could help be the judge of that. They played both the past few weeks.

Yes, so far they've been judge, jury and execution, execution, execution... :twitch:

trojandad
12-15-2010, 06:50 PM

well using that baseline, we come from a district rated by most at least as down as any district in the state.....i was impressed with k'ville both time we saw them....i thought they were beatable after i saw them, but people feel WE are beatable after they see us, too......(sometimes, lol).....

trojandad
12-15-2010, 08:37 PM
the quiet before the storm.......:evillol:

Tejastrue
12-15-2010, 09:21 PM
the quiet before the storm.......:evillol:

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx231/wickedlytragic/scenery/searocksskywond.jpg

trojandad
12-16-2010, 09:09 AM
one more day and counting.....

Pudlugger
12-16-2010, 09:24 AM
thanks, pud, was missing you out here.....glad you were watching....

i'll still believe that our 2003 team that you guys stopped was the best team we fielded, maybe ever, but for sure since 1992....people awe at 2 - 1000 yd rushers, we had four then, and each in the backfield every play since we ran the wishbone....you guys played a great defensive game after we took the lead in the 1st, the coaching staff cratered internally that night in a way best saved for fiction books....if we would have had the internal calm and support from the powers that be that this team has, it would have been fun to watch.....

i hope all is well with your son, my graduates with his biology degree next saturday after the big game fri night......:D

Thanks Trojandad. IIRC that was 2002 in Huntsville. My son graduates in May. He played a couple of years at Trinity before hanging it up due to injuries. He transferred to Texas State and is doing very well. That was a great football game. I remember how the Trojans burned our cb on the first series and just flamed down field for a 60 yard td. We hadn't seen that kind of speed all year so it was tough to make the adjustments.
I was impressed with the Carthage defense watching them stop our Lep offense for 3 quarters last year in the semi final game. If the Trojans can run against the Bulldogs they can beat them but that is going to be tough. However, I think that Coldspring matches up well against Carthage and has an edge. Coldspring by 12.

Dawgdaze
12-16-2010, 10:01 AM
I think Coldspring runs the kind of offense that determines whether the opponent's defense is stocked with true high quality athletes or just well-trained average athletes.

wimbo_pro
12-16-2010, 10:04 AM
I think Coldspring runs the kind of offense that determines whether the opponent's defense is stocked with true high quality athletes or just well-trained average athletes.

Well said. Again I say...if Carthage D can put a lid on the running attack of Coldspring, I will be very impressed. If they are able to score on Coldsprings offense, I will be deeply impressed.

j_dog
12-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Well said. ...... If they are able to score on Coldsprings offense, I will be deeply impressed.
Yeah, me too, especially if Carthage doesn't have the ball. ;)

trojandad
12-16-2010, 08:07 PM
all i know is, win or lose, it is such a privilege to have your sons playing the week before christmas...so many really good teams are watching and that can't ever be forgotten.....this state game won't be rained out, be started at 11 pm, or be played on a field we don't have cleats for.....my mentality is so different this time, all i cared about in 92 was winning.....you'll see me wearing a smile tomorrow irregardless of the outcome....we could be at home wishing our fallen qb could just come home.....we have SO much to be thankful for, and anything positive that happens tomorrow is just gravy........

db1980
12-16-2010, 09:38 PM
all i know is, win or lose, it is such a privilege to have your sons playing the week before christmas...so many really good teams are watching and that can't ever be forgotten.....this state game won't be rained out, be started at 11 pm, or be played on a field we don't have cleats for.....my mentality is so different this time, all i cared about in 92 was winning.....you'll see me wearing a smile tomorrow irregardless of the outcome....we could be at home wishing our fallen qb could just come home.....we have SO much to be thankful for, and anything positive that happens tomorrow is just gravy........

Trojandad, great post.

db1980
12-16-2010, 09:39 PM

Carthage is pretty good at Keep-a-way too.

j_dog
12-17-2010, 01:09 AM
Carthage is pretty good at Keep-a-way too.
I was referring to the reference to Carthage scoring on the CS offense.

No post since 8:39. Guess everyone has already left for the game! :D

wimbo_pro
12-17-2010, 01:55 AM

LOL....oh well..I think you know what I mean!!!

wimbo_pro
12-17-2010, 01:56 AM

Fallen QB? What have I missed?

Pawdaddy
12-17-2010, 04:14 AM
OK, I posted before the Carthage/Brownwood game that it would compare to last year's Gilmer/Cuero game. Final minute. Inside the 10. Game on the line. Gilmer stops Cuero 4 downs. Carthage stops Brownwood as clock expires. Man, I'm good!

This week will be like last year's Gilmer/Abilene Wylie game. Carthage just steady rolls on Coldspring. Wins by 2-3 TDs. District 16 3A rolls on.

The only question remaining is can 16 3A come close to matching the success they have had in 2010 next year.

trojandad
12-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Fallen QB? What have I missed?

was referring to reggie at wo-s.....gotta be lucky to get here, and luck wasn't exactly riding with wo-s this year, sadly....was just counting our blessings....

and my prediction is pawdaddy used up all his mojo last game....at all the playoff games this year somebody picks us going down by 2-3 touchdowns, and so far they've all only scored 2-3 touchdowns, if that many....i like our chances to not go down by that margin, but my prediction is based on track record....

Tejastrue
12-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Good luck to you and your Trojans at JerryWorld this evening Trojandad. Will be watching the game on FSN. I'm pulling for you guys.:1popcorn: :1popcorn: :cheerl: :cheerl:

trojandad
12-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Good luck to you and your Trojans at JerryWorld this evening Trojandad. Will be watching the game on FSN. I'm pulling for you guys.:1popcorn: :1popcorn: :cheerl: :cheerl:

thanks buddy, sure have appreciated all you wimbo fans support....my daughter has been wearing a cap she has with a texas flag on it since we played you guys, so i asked her to wear it when we go to the game.....will let us take some of you guys mojo with us.......am hoping my 112% shirt is clean to wear under my shirt today......:D :D :D

Dawgdaze
12-17-2010, 08:36 AM
OK, I posted before the Carthage/Brownwood game that it would compare to last year's Gilmer/Cuero game. Final minute. Inside the 10. Game on the line. Gilmer stops Cuero 4 downs. Carthage stops Brownwood as clock expires. Man, I'm good!

This week will be like last year's Gilmer/Abilene Wylie game. Carthage just steady rolls on Coldspring. Wins by 2-3 TDs. District 16 3A rolls on.

The only question remaining is can 16 3A come close to matching the success they have had in 2010 next year.

We'll take it and I hope you're right!

Dawgdaze
12-17-2010, 08:45 AM
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt159/dstan7695/Carthage%20Bulldogs_Smoaky/4cf9db678035d_image.jpg

-------------------------------- Sick 'em DAWGS!!-------------------------------

Dawgdaze
12-17-2010, 08:51 AM
but my prediction is based on track record....

Look at the bottom of my signature: So is mine. Carthage 48 Coldspring-Oakhurst 21.

Good luck to all and let's play a clean game. Travel safely, wind is gusty and cold!

Pawdaddy
12-17-2010, 09:03 AM
"District of Doom Lives Up to Billing" - www.newsjournal.com

Quote: "If Carthage beats Coldspring-Oakhurst, then teams in the current 16-3A will have won all four 3A State Championships during the past two seasons, and 5 of 6 crowns since 2008."

East vs. West?

Just saying!:D :D :D :D

RoyceTTU
12-17-2010, 09:08 AM
I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit depressed. Good Luck to 2 well-deserving teams :clap: :clap: :clap:

trojandad
12-17-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote: "If Carthage beats Coldspring-Oakhurst, then teams in the current 16-3A will have won all four 3A State Championships during the past two seasons, and 5 of 6 crowns since 2008."

East vs. West?

and even if you guys don't win today, you still have a record that all of us admire, for sure.....

you guys be safe as well, it is gonna be a good day......to say the very least.....

and all my respect and admiration out to coach barbay today....going to state for the first time, without his pop to look up and see in the stands....i admire him for not letting his personal tragedy get in the way of his kids accomplishments this year.....its ok, coach, your dad just has a better seat for this one.....:clap: :clap: :clap:

waterboy
12-17-2010, 09:18 AM
GAME DAY!!! GO DAWGS!!! 16-3A ROCKS!!!

I like where Coach Dickey Meeks of Henderson gave a lot of credit to our district for the success they had in the playoffs, which culminated in a state championship. There's a lot of truth to that. The Dawgs are battle-tested for sure. District 16-3A definitely helped prepare the teams for whatever the teams in the playoffs will bring to the game. The Dawgs definitely can't go into this game thinking they have it won because Coldspring is good, and didn't get to the championship game by accident. I know the players already knew this and prepared accordingly, so with all this said, Carthage wins this game. It doesn't matter if it's by 1 point or 21 points, a win is a win......;)

Just a note: Do y'all realize that the members of the "District of Doom" have already won 4 of the last 5 state titles, and have a chance at 5 out of the last 6? They've already won the last 4! I'd say this district has definitely lived up to the hype.......wouldn't you?

Tejastrue
12-17-2010, 09:46 AM

East vs. West?

Enjoy it while it lasts. :clap: :clap: :rolleyes:

Tejastrue
12-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit depressed. Good Luck to 2 well-deserving teams :clap: :clap: :clap:

:iagree: but I share your pain....:weeping: :bigcry:

RealDawgFan
12-17-2010, 10:14 AM
It is time!!! Did you think you were hearing thunder?? NOPE... Its them DAWGS a growlin'! Coldspring... Do you hear em a growlin'? They are on their way!! :eek: They are ready and they are PUMPED!! Businesses are closed for the day or closing at noon, school lets out at 10:00, buses are loading up and heading out! EAST TEXAS is traveling west... so look out. Carthage is going for a 3PEAT. :cool: See you folks at the game... I'll be the one wearing red and ringing my cow-bell (hopefully sitting on the 50 yard line). Someone save me (and my 16-20 closest friends) a seat on the 50 would ya?:thumbsup:

waterboy
12-17-2010, 10:17 AM
It is time!!! Did you think you were hearing thunder?? NOPE... Its them DAWGS a growlin'! Coldspring... Do you hear em a growlin'? They are on their way!! :eek: They are ready and they are PUMPED!! Businesses are closed for the day or closing at noon, school lets out at 10:00, buses are loading up and heading out! EAST TEXAS is traveling west... so look out. Carthage is going for a 3PEAT. :cool: See you folks at the game... I'll be the one wearing red and ringing my cow-bell (hopefully sitting on the 50 yard line). Someone save me (and my 16-20 closest friends) a seat on the 50 would ya?:thumbsup:
Haha......you sure you have that many friends?:D Just kidding! Good luck to the Dawgs!!!

trojandad
12-17-2010, 10:26 AM
today belongs to hickory......see y'all there......dr just gave me a release.....thank you God....

Tejastrue
12-17-2010, 10:31 AM
today belongs to hickory......see y'all there......dr just gave me a release.....thank you God....

Amen!!

:2thumbsup :clap::clap: :clap:

Dawgdaze
12-17-2010, 11:09 AM

OH NO! NOT MORE WOOD!

http://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12870/Hickory00_2.jpg

--------------------TIMBER!!!!----------------

wimbo_pro
12-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Go get em Coldspring! Nothing against Carthage at all...I just like TrojanDad and want to have lost to the eventual state champ!

Dawgdaze
12-17-2010, 11:19 AM
To arms, to arms! my jolly grenadiers!
Hark, how the drums do roll it along!
To horse, to horse, with valiant good cheer;
We'll meet our proud foe, before it is long.
Let not your courage fail you:
Be valiant, stout and bold;
And it will soon avail you,
My loyal hearts of gold.
Huzzah, my valiant countrymen! — again I say huzzah!
'Tis nobly done — the day's our own — huzzah, huzzah!

wimbo_pro
12-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Didnt I read somewhere that the game is televised live? FSN?

Dawgdaze
12-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Didnt I read somewhere that the game is televised live? FSN?

Yes, ALL the State Championship games will be broadcast live either via webcast (www.foxsportssouthwest.com) or Fox Sports Southwest Channel 416 Dish Network or Channel 676 Direct Tv. Cable channels vary. The 2A games and below I believe will be on their website streaming live and our game and above will be live on TV! Awesome. Got them set to record on my DVR at the house and headed down I-20 now!

wimbo_pro
12-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Thanks DawgDaze. I found this as well on the FSN website.

"Live television coverage on FOX Sports Southwest and FOX Sports Houston kicks off
the following weekend with five games from Cowboys Stadium, including a doubleheader on
Friday, Dec. 17 and a tripleheader on Saturday, Dec, 18."

Time Warner cable systems in Austin (Channel 888), Corpus Christi (Channel 100), Dallas (Channel 185), the Rio Grande Valley (Channel 888), Laredo (Channel 888), San Antonio (Channel 888), and Waco-Temple-Killeen (Channel 888).

Dawgdaze
12-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks DawgDaze. I found this as well on the FSN website.

"Live television coverage on FOX Sports Southwest and FOX Sports Houston kicks off
the following weekend with five games from Cowboys Stadium, including a doubleheader on
Friday, Dec. 17 and a tripleheader on Saturday, Dec, 18."

Time Warner cable systems in Austin (Channel 888), Corpus Christi (Channel 100), Dallas (Channel 185), the Rio Grande Valley (Channel 888), Laredo (Channel 888), San Antonio (Channel 888), and Waco-Temple-Killeen (Channel 888).
Welcome sir!

wimbo_pro
12-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Kick off time?