PDA

View Full Version : Depressing Time of Year

Blackcat1954
12-10-2010, 03:06 PM
This is always a depressing time of year for me
I shouldn't complain with everything I've got going for me.

Got a great wife but a unstable job that doesn't pay well

This mental Illness9 bi polar, stress, anxiety and depression gets me down and almost out.

I know you other folks have personal problems with family and health issues.

I try to keep a positive mental attitude but sometimes that doesn't help even with meds and thearpist and Psychiatrist.

I shouldn't really complain at all in this forum which is supposed to be about sports etc

But I need to vent my problems to someone besides my family and the very few friends I have to somehow.

Lost my mom in before xmas in 1995 and that started things seemes like-a month before I met my wife of now almost 13 years.

Just cant get excited about the holidays anymore and getting tin the spirit

Any thoughts would be appreciated

MUSTANG69
12-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Just think about all the friends you have on the DownLow.:)

Blastoderm55
12-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I feel for ya bud. I can relate, albeit indirectly.

My wife lost her father to a Christmas fire in 2001. The two had just reconciled, as her father neglected her from about age 2 until she was 15. Shortly after getting her Daddy back, he was gone again.

In 2006, her grandmother passed away on Christmas eve, just minutes before we got to her hospital room to decorate and bring gifts.

I'm not sure how she gets through the season. I just try to keep her as happy as possible, and hear her out when she's got something to say.

I hope you can find some comfort this holiday season. Its easy to get lost in the sadness of what's been taken from you, but you've got to find a way to instead focus on how great it was to at least have that special person in your life.

44INAROW
12-10-2010, 03:51 PM
I am sorry you're going through this Blackcat - Hopefully, being able to vent a little on the downlow, eases the anxiety for a bit. Hope things get better for you soon :)

AP Panther Fan
12-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Blackcat, I am so sorry you are feeling a bit down and out right now. This is a season where the stress always seems to escalate for me as well. Worrying about where the extra little bit of money might come from to try to make Christmas special for those you love can tend to upset any of us....especially those with a large heart and desire to give to others.

My only advice would be to reflect on all of the positive things in your life and find some way to share of yourself to someone less fortunate. Simple, random acts of kindness can go a long way in lifting your spirits this time of year. Truly a win-win since you brighten someone else's day in the process.

I will keep you in my thoughts and know that the 3adownlow is more than a message board, it is a sounding board, a place to bounce ideas off friends and find strength from their support when you need it most.

We are here for you!:)

Bullaholic
12-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Blackcat1954
This is always a depressing time of year for me
I shouldn't complain with everything I've got going for me.

Got a great wife but a unstable job that doesn't pay well

This mental Illness9 bi polar, stress, anxiety and depression gets me down and almost out.

I know you other folks have personal problems with family and health issues.

I try to keep a positive mental attitude but sometimes that doesn't help even with meds and thearpist and Psychiatrist.

I shouldn't really complain at all in this forum which is supposed to be about sports etc

But I need to vent my problems to someone besides my family and the very few friends I have to somehow.

Lost my mom in before xmas in 1995 and that started things seemes like-a month before I met my wife of now almost 13 years.

Just cant get excited about the holidays anymore and getting tin the spirit

Any thoughts would be appreciated

O.k--this may be a sappy response by today's standards---but I just don't care--I'm old fashioned:

Go out in your town on your own and find a family with kids (single moms especially) that you know for sure is poor and has nothing for Christmas. Buy or collect some toys, clothes, and/or food---gather it up a day or two before Christmas and leave it on their front porch and just drive away. Your depression and anxiety will go away---I guarantee it.

AP Panther Fan
12-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
O.k--this may be a sappy response by today's standards---but I just don't care--I'm old fashioned:

Go out in your town on your own and find a family with kids (single moms especially) that you know for sure is poor and has nothing for Christmas. Buy or collect some toys, clothes, and/or food---gather it up a day or two before Christmas and leave it on their front porch and just drive away. Your depression and anxiety will go away---I guarantee it.

:thumbsup:

Not sappy at all! The world would be a much nicer place if more people thought of others and put those thoughts into actions.

:)

BullsFan
12-14-2010, 01:11 PM
The easiest way to do this is find an Angel tree somewhere in your community. My classes all worked together to make Christmas for a family of three children, and honestly it was one of the best experiences ever. And if your community is anything like mine, there is a serious shortage of people picking up the Angels.

Farmersfan
12-14-2010, 04:48 PM

Most of us could probably do this right out of our own closets or storage sheds!!!!

LionFan72
12-16-2010, 02:01 PM
When you bring the focus onto your very own shoulders, it becomes way hard to deal with. As humans, we tend to be greedy and want everything for ourselves, please realize this is the season for giving, and give all you got to your family, your friends, and to those in real need. The pain you are feeling with be replaced with joy and happiness in the heart. Praying for you to find that place of peace.

zebrablue2
12-19-2010, 06:52 AM

:2thumbsup

Blackcat1954
12-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks for your responses

Things have improved to some extent-It mind over matter with the medications I take

I have my good days and terrible days-Depends on what's going on at work as well.

Today is a fair day but I'm fighting off a throat infection now so something to worry about..

But things are looking up for next two days with family gatherings and a cruise out of Galveston on Sunday.

Just need to take one day at a time and live for the moment