PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's 30 for 30

lostaussie
12-10-2010, 06:56 AM
is on the Pony Express Saturday night at 9:00. I was a big SMU fan back in the day and this should be quite interesting. Should at least bring back some good and bad memories.

hollywood
12-10-2010, 07:04 AM
I agree. I was/still am SMU fan. I'm looking forward to this one.

hookandladder
12-10-2010, 08:53 AM
I will also try to watch, my wife's cousin was the FB blocking for all those great runs.

NastySlot
12-10-2010, 10:03 AM
anybody remember when SMU was average to below before the Pony Express.............Mustang Mania......campaign to get people to Cotton Bowl to watch games........I can remember getting free tickets to SMU games during the Mustang Mania period after pee wee football games..........or you could go to Stop and Go convience stores and get free tickets...........then along came the Pony Express and the other Great Blue Chippers.....and the move to Texas Stadium and huge crowds for the Texas, Arkansas and A&M games................they had some incredible players....seem like Highland Park sent them 10 players a year.

how about the game in Lubbock the throw back on the kick off wow.

I remember guys like Emmanual Tolbert and Mike Ford.

MoveInDad
12-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I will also try to watch, my wife's cousin was the FB blocking for all those great runs.
Kevin Adams from Stratford? I think he went there as well with Craig James... will try to look that up.

bigYoe
12-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Yea they should just skip the Heisman Trophy Presentation(we know who's gonna win this one, same guy who won 3 big ones last night) and just play 30 for 30: Pony Express ALL NIGHT. I can't wait to watch this. My dad was telling me about how they all of sudden BLEW UP in the rankings and everyone's eyes then just fell off with the pay for play thing. On a different note, June has done a great job the past seasons with this SMU program. Go oYe

Maroon87
12-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
Kevin Adams from Stratford? I think he went there as well with Craig James... will try to look that up.
My aunt & uncle lived right by Stratford HS for years...I remember when James was playing there. He was a real neighborhood celebrity.

Saggy Aggie
12-10-2010, 04:56 PM
One of the people that brought SMU down and basically ratted them out should be featured on the interview. I know the family and she told us she got an interview with ESPN a few months ago. :thinking:

In case anyone is wondering, it's the Stanley family (from Angleton, TX) and David Stanley was the player in question, among others. I think his mom will be on this episode.

Aesculus gilmus
12-10-2010, 07:38 PM
SMU was entertaining even before the '70s and '80s. In the '60s Hayden Fry was coach. He recruited a QB named Chuck Hixson who used to throw around 50 times per game on average and this was in an era when very few NCAA teams passed even half the time.

I think they actually won the SWC (WITHOUT cheating, as far as I know) in 1966. Jerry Levias was something special:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMU_Mustangs#1960s
1966 • Hayden Fry lifted SMU back to national prominence in 1966, when SMU was ranked ninth in the nation and won its first conference championship in 18 years. • During the 1966 season, sophomore wide receiver Jerry Levias led the Mustangs in scoring with 54 points. Levias became the first African-American player in the Southwest Conference to receive an athletic scholarship after choosing SMU largely because of its accounting program. As a senior in 1968, Levias caught 80 passes for a school-record 1131 yards when he was selected both an All-American and Academic All-American.

Here's a good article about Hixson:
http://www.cusa-fans.com/articles/cusa-football-2008/smu-football-hixson_062708.html

NastySlot
12-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
One of the people that brought SMU down and basically ratted them out should be featured on the interview. I know the family and she told us she got an interview with ESPN a few months ago. :thinking:

In case anyone is wondering, it's the Stanley family (from Angleton, TX) and David Stanley was the player in question, among others. I think his mom will be on this episode.

had some buddies that played at smu with stanley.....they told me he was psycho-crazy....and a scary person.....but was a beast on the field.

Saggy Aggie
12-11-2010, 10:59 PM

In case anyone is wondering, it's the Stanley family (from Angleton, TX) and David Stanley was the player in question, among others. I think his mom will be on this episode. Anyone watch it and remember this post?

Dang Saggy Aggie, you're SO smart.... :clap:

SWMustang
12-11-2010, 11:25 PM
watched. Thought this really was a materpiece from ESPN. SMU was STUPID in how they treated Stanley. He has info that could bring the school down and they pretty much threw him out like a piece of trash. All he wanted was to come back to school and graduate - not even play football and they told him no. He showed them!

Saggy Aggie
12-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
watched. Thought this really was a materpiece from ESPN. SMU was STUPID in how they treated Stanley. He has info that could bring the school down and they pretty much threw him out like a piece of trash. All he wanted was to come back to school and graduate - not even play football and they told him no. He showed them! Really a tragic end to his story. He died 10 or so years ago from a drug OD at age 41, I believe. Kinda weird because I know the whole family and David Stanley's nephew is a current player (senior this year) for West Columbia.

Rabid Cougar
12-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Craig James and Eric Dickerson will never own up to it. Although it was pretty obvious with Dickerson. The idiots were the financiers who kept paying the players even after they had been warned and placed on probation for doing it in the first place.

It wasn't just taking place in the SWC. It was going on big time in the Big 10, Big 8 and the SEC. They just didn't have the local media that hell bent on tearing down thier local teams.

They will be doing on one on Cam Newton in the future too.

DDBooger
12-12-2010, 08:58 AM
It was a great documentary. I DVR'd that and watched Lombardi on HBO

NastySlot
12-12-2010, 11:22 AM
watched. Thought this really was a materpiece from ESPN. SMU was STUPID in how they treated Stanley. He has info that could bring the school down and they pretty much threw him out like a piece of trash. All he wanted was to come back to school and graduate - not even play football and they told him no. He showed them!

guys i know that played...said there is a lot more to the story and other stories.

SWMustang
12-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Do tell. That whole story is fascinating to me.

TheDOCTORdre
12-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Last night confirmed what I already knew about Skip Bayless being a tool

NastySlot
12-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Do tell. That whole story is fascinating to me.

there were a few that had some boosters by the b@77$.....and used the system well for a long time.

not blaming(him) them for taking very few wouldn't take.....the whole situation stunk...and a lot of the guys who weren't on a payroll paid dearly.

trojandad
12-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
guys i know that played...said there is a lot more to the story and other stories.

i was there from 75 to 83....smu's stupidity started back a few years earlier, no matter how many firebirds individual's "grandmothers" bought.....they were in an arrogant frame of mind by the time stanley's deal came down.....it was a good piece except for espn allowing james and co to use it for a defense piece......

Ernest T Bass
12-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
It wasn't just taking place in the SWC. It was going on big time in the Big 10, Big 8 and the SEC. They just didn't have the local media that hell bent on tearing down thier local teams.

They will be doing on one on Cam Newton in the future too.

It was taking place all over the country, and waaaaaay before SMU rose to prominence. Nothing new about it at all. Bear Bryant, Darrell Royal, and even Knute Rockne found ways to cheat.

NastySlot
12-12-2010, 05:33 PM
I was once talking to a former football player from an old swc school...he told me that the hate and bitterness by the swc schools is why they all got exposed to the press and investaged so often.....that the schools of the sec keep things on the low cause once one was exposed it was easy for all to be exposed.

Phil C
12-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
It was taking place all over the country, and waaaaaay before SMU rose to prominence. Nothing new about it at all. Bear Bryant, Darrell Royal, and even Knute Rockne found ways to cheat.

For example(s) -

lostaussie
12-12-2010, 08:08 PM
I watched this thing twice today........a truly amazing story. One of the biggest stories to me was the newspaper battle between morning news and times herald. Every reporter wanted that story and I think the newspaper dual was the biggest single thing that brought them down. no one would ever stop investigating.

Ernest T Bass
12-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
For example(s) -

Ever read The Junction Boys?

Matthew328
12-12-2010, 09:09 PM
I was just a kid when the death penalty went down..what a great documentary

LoboesWT
12-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Last night confirmed what I already knew about Skip Bayless being a tool

+1

BaseballUmp
12-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Anybody know when it will be on again?

And yes, Skip Bayless is a complete tool

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/eemer/tool.jpg

LoboesWT
12-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp

Funny a "TOOL SET"

LoboesWT
12-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Playing now on Direct 209

BaseballUmp
12-12-2010, 11:23 PM
And of course I miss the first 20 minutes lol

Ernest T Bass
12-12-2010, 11:35 PM

How bad would it suck to actually be one of the guys in that pic? Could you ever live it down?

BaseballUmp
12-12-2010, 11:36 PM
I would hate myself if I was any one of them

DDBooger
12-12-2010, 11:40 PM
I would hate myself if I was any one of them Lots of hair paste and fake tan in that pic.

Matthew328
12-12-2010, 11:53 PM
I would slap myself

BaseballUmp
12-12-2010, 11:54 PM
I wonder how many times they got "Iced" that night by there bro's

LoboesWT
12-13-2010, 12:07 AM
I think Craig James was also in that pic

bobcat4life
12-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
I think Craig James was also in that pic Do you see rocket in the back waving his hand because he is too short for us to see his face?

:D

Lucky2Coach
12-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
It was a great documentary. I DVR'd that and watched Lombardi on HBO

How was Lombardi?

crzyjournalist03
12-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Last night I was browsing and saw that it appears it will be reaired on ESPNU tonight at 7 p.m.

I was out on Saturday night, so I'm hoping to catch this tonight.

NastySlot
12-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Ever read The Junction Boys?

Meat on a Hoof?

another with some referances is Hog, Horns and Nixion is Coming.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
another with some referances is Hog, Horns and Nixion is Coming.

GREAT book

slpybear the bullfan
12-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
GREAT book

This is on my shelf at the house and is on the "Christmas Holiday Read List."

Ernest T Bass
12-13-2010, 10:06 AM
GREAT book

Indeed. The movie was one of the most disappointing movies Ive ever seen. But the book gives a little insight into the cheating that took place as early as the 1950's. Dont think for one half second that Bryant and A&M were the only ones doing it, either. It was commonplace then and it's commonplace now. Every now and then someone just gets sloppy with it and when the media gets ahold of it, the NCAA has to respond. They have to uphold the myth of college football being "pure" and played by "amatures" and "student athletes".

NastySlot
12-13-2010, 10:28 AM
GREAT book

it is a Great book....I will always remember what Montgomery said about his late pick he threw...and choking it's something that most people don't often realize...the game(football) moves to fast for people to choke.

choking is not hitting a short putt.

Phil C
12-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Last night I was browsing and saw that it appears it will be reaired on ESPNU tonight at 7 p.m.

I was out on Saturday night, so I'm hoping to catch this tonight.

It will also be repeated at 11 P.M. tonight on ESPNU.

It will be repeated again on Wednesday (Dec.15) at 8 P.M. on ESPN2.

It will be shown twice on Thursday Dec. 16 on ESPNU at 12 A.M. and 6 P.M.

LoboesWT
12-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Best part of the documentary was how the NCAA investigator that gave the news of the Death Penalty and then subsequently fainted. Imagine if he would have had to give that same news conference at TEXAS. I think fainting would have been the least of his worries.

Ernest T Bass
12-13-2010, 01:37 PM
It was sickening to listen to Stanley's mother talk. She took tons of money, yet she demonizes SMU.

lostaussie
12-13-2010, 01:39 PM
It was sickening to listen to Stanley's mother talk. She took tons of money, yet she demonizes SMU. Yes, yes she did. What about the fiancee'...............she talked like she was jacked up during the interview!!

Ernest T Bass
12-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Yes, yes she did. What about the fiancee'...............she talked like she was jacked up during the interview!!

Fiancee looked like she's been rode hard and put up wet. Girl looked rough!

Daddy D 11
12-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Fiancee looked like she's been rode hard and put up wet. Girl looked rough!

lol i was thinking the same thing. And I seriously doubt the Stanley situation went down that simply guys.. the whole "oh he is so poor and innocent and just wanted to come back to finish his degree" crap is bull I am sure.

I laughed outloud when Dickerson talked about the recruiting dinner with Stanley and then when the dude was handed the envelope with his name on it and the SMU seal.. friggin dummy

Ernest T Bass
12-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
lol i was thinking the same thing. And I seriously doubt the Stanley situation went down that simply guys.. the whole "oh he is so poor and innocent and just wanted to come back to finish his degree" crap is bull I am sure.

I laughed outloud when Dickerson talked about the recruiting dinner with Stanley and then when the dude was handed the envelope with his name on it and the SMU seal.. friggin dummy

Yeah, he sounded like a headcase from the Dickerson interview. I also seriously doubt there was gonna be a degree in his future under any circumstances. Sounds like he and his family took the money and enjoyed every minute of it, and when he didn't hold up his end of the deal and it was taken from him, he decided to make them pay for it.

Saggy Aggie
12-14-2010, 12:14 AM
The entire Stanley family are friends of my family. Let's try not to be too judgmental here. She admitted her own wrong doing in the video and David is dead right now, as if that isn't punishment enough.

Let's try not to throw the whole family under the bus without anything more than your opinion of what might have happened.

I DO actually know what happened and everyone knows the Stanleys and SMU made mistakes. And yes, David was a pretty crazy guy, part of what made him an outstanding LB. He had no regard for his body or anyone elses and played like it. Guy wasn't an all-american for no reason. There was a reason they gave him 25,000 and it's because the guy could straight up play.

LoboesWT
12-14-2010, 10:13 AM
The entire Stanley family are friends of my family. Let's try not to be too judgmental here. She admitted her own wrong doing in the video and David is dead right now, as if that isn't punishment enough.

Let's try not to throw the whole family under the bus without anything more than your opinion of what might have happened.

I DO actually know what happened and everyone knows the Stanleys and SMU made mistakes. And yes, David was a pretty crazy guy, part of what made him an outstanding LB. He had no regard for his body or anyone elses and played like it. Guy wasn't an all-american for no reason. There was a reason they gave him 25,000 and it's because the guy could straight up play.

I think the whole point of this documentary was to point out that these type of recruiting infractions occur everywhere and that SMU was the only one that was made the BIG example. Death penalties are gone as the punishment in todays day and time. Far worse things have already been proven at other Universities e.g. USC (R Bush) with more money involved and all they got was three years no bowls and loss of Scholarships. NCAA uses a selective eye in watching programs.

NastySlot
12-14-2010, 10:19 AM
my buddies that played with Stanley at SMU used to tell me stories about the guy.

SWMustang
12-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Dont think for one half second that Bryant and A&M were the only ones doing it, either. It was commonplace then and it's commonplace now. Every now and then someone just gets sloppy with it and when the media gets ahold of it, the NCAA has to respond. They have to uphold the myth of college football being "pure" and played by "amatures" and "student athletes".

That's the NCAA of yesteryear. Today's NCAA will turn a blind eye until all the money has been made from the cheaters AND THEN retroactively pursue punishment.

Ernest T Bass
12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
That's the NCAA of yesteryear. Today's NCAA will turn a blind eye until all the money has been made from the cheaters AND THEN retroactively pursue punishment.

No, the NCAA will turn a blind eye until the media forces their hand. The only thing new is that the media is relentless in their pursuit of a story.

LoboesWT
12-14-2010, 10:33 AM
No, the NCAA will turn a blind eye until the media forces their hand. The only thing new is that the media is relentless in their pursuit of a story.

+1:thumbsup:

peagle
12-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Great breakdown on a huge 80's scandal

warpig
12-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Too many posts to read all of it, but I think Craig James is a total money taking, scholarship buying, lowdown piece of dung.
That's just my opionion though and I'm still bitter about he and his offspring getting Leach fired.

lostaussie
12-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by warpig
Too many posts to read all of it, but I think Craig James is a total money taking, scholarship buying, lowdown piece of dung.
That's just my opionion though and I'm still bitter about he and his offspring getting Leach fired. Hater:D