PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Mavericks

Farmersfan
12-09-2010, 09:35 AM
The Mavericks are quitely putting together a very impressive run the last couple of weeks. The have won 10 in a row and are right on the heels of the Spurs as the best record in the NBA. They have beaten the Lakers, Spurs, Nuggets, Jazz, Grizzles, Celtics, Heat, and every other team that is suppose to be the best! (I believe the last 5 wins were without Chandler who has been out hurt)

Are the Mavs currently the best team in the NBA???

3afan
12-09-2010, 09:47 AM
who knows - but they're up there

BILLYFRED0000
12-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
who knows - but they're up there

Naw.... Who's on first.

waterboy
12-09-2010, 10:26 AM
They are certainly one of the top 5 or 6 teams at this point, but it's still early in the season, and as you know regular season success doesn't always translate to postseason success. I'm definitely excited more this year about the Mavs than I have been in a number of years. It seems they have finally figured out that DEFENSE is the thing that will get them to the next level. They have always been good on offense, but they've gotten the reputation for being soft on defense. I'm glad that that particular bad rap is becoming a thing of the past, or at least if they keep playing like they have it will become a thing of the past. They seem to have found a certain level of mental toughness that's been lacking in recent years, too, which will definitely help their cause.

Farmersfan
12-09-2010, 10:31 AM
The Spurs, Jazz, Hornets and Celtics were all on good winning streaks until they played the Mavericks! I can't say whether they will be able to continue at this level for the entire season but at this point it appears to me that they are about as well balanced as any team in the NBA! The only real weakness that I see is in the backup point guard spot and that should be fixed when Roddy returns! They now have 4 centers pver 7'
and a couple of PF very nearly 7' that appear to be better than any group of big men in the league. If Roddy progresses a little and can become what we all know he might then I think this team is set to be a favorite to win it all.

Thoughts?

Farmersfan
12-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
They are certainly one of the top 5 or 6 teams at this point, but it's still early in the season, and as you know regular season success doesn't always translate to postseason success. I'm definitely excited more this year about the Mavs than I have been in a number of years. It seems they have finally figured out that DEFENSE is the thing that will get them to the next level. They have always been good on offense, but they've gotten the reputation for being soft on defense. I'm glad that that particular bad rap is becoming a thing of the past, or at least if they keep playing like they have it will become a thing of the past. They seem to have found a certain level of mental toughness that's been lacking in recent years, too, which will definitely help their cause.

Chandler, Cardinal and Stevenson give this team a lot of toughness that they have not had in the past. Dirk and Terry are still very, very poor examples of defense. But they have people who might be able to cover for those weaknesses. At least I hope so!

waterboy
12-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I really like how the Mavs have added so much depth. It looks like with the way this season has gone so far that a lot of the bench players will get valuable experience. If the bench players continually progress, the Mavs will definitely be in the hunt, not only for a division title, but a conference title, and perhaps a championship. What's the status on Roddy? He should be back soon, right? There hasn't been much said about his physical progress on the telecasts.

Farmersfan
12-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Yeah, I really like how the Mavs have added so much depth. It looks like with the way this season has gone so far that a lot of the bench players will get valuable experience. If the bench players continually progress, the Mavs will definitely be in the hunt, not only for a division title, but a conference title, and perhaps a championship. What's the status on Roddy? He should be back soon, right? There hasn't been much said about his physical progress on the telecasts.

Last I heard he was starting to practice this week! Hopefully he will be completely recovered and back in the game in a week or so! But JJ hasn't done badly! He is a defensive liability mainly because he rarely gets the benefit of the call when he gets run over. If they ever start giving him the charging call he will get downright nasty at drawing the charge!!!

crzyjournalist03
12-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Dirk Nowitzki is the Tony Romo of the NBA.

waterboy
12-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Chandler, Cardinal and Stevenson give this team a lot of toughness that they have not had in the past. Dirk and Terry are still very, very poor examples of defense. But they have people who might be able to cover for those weaknesses. At least I hope so!
I agree with those three players adding mental toughness, but I somewhat disagree with you on Dirk and Terry. While they may not be the "best" defensive players in the league, they are getting much better on that side of the ball. They do however have lapses sometimes in the game, which is understandable considering what they bring to the game offensively. Playing defense is MUCH harder than playing offense, but I do think the Mavs would be a better team if Dirk and Jet focused on defense a little more.

Farmersfan
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

I have said for years that the Mavs will never win a title until they get something around Dirk! If Dirk has to be the Go-To guy then this team is sunk before it ever starts. but with the players they have on roster now there are at least 4 players on the court at any given time that is capable of making their own shot and getting the points. That's why I was so dumbfounded after the last Mavs loss when JJ Berea was the one who got the shot on the last 5 possessions for the Mavs when Dirk, Terry, Kidd and Chandler were on the court with him. JJ should have been the LAST option! Of course they lost that game!!! Dirk was finally involved on the very last possession and he got the ball 15' above the free throw line and acted like he was a point guard and tried to dribble behind his back. My grandmother could have picked his pocket on that move.........................: :rolleyes:

Emerson1
It would be great if Mahinmi kept producing at a high level. Haywood would be a nice trade asset for a team needing a starting center.

waterboy
12-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Last I heard he was starting to practice this week! Hopefully he will be completely recovered and back in the game in a week or so! But JJ hasn't done badly! He is a defensive liability mainly because he rarely gets the benefit of the call when he gets run over. If they ever start giving him the charging call he will get downright nasty at drawing the charge!!!
I know JJ hasn't been playing long enough to show all that he has, but he still turns the ball over way too much at times. That will become a liability if he doesn't clean it up. I think he will only get better the longer and more he plays, though. I like the energy he brings, too.

icu812
12-09-2010, 11:16 AM
One of the reasons the D is better is Chandler protecting the paint allows JJ, Terry, & Dirk (all below avg defenders) to be more agressive. Terry is making tons of steals playing passing lanes and Dirk has had some steals as well.

I believe Chandler has only missed 1 game due to stomach virus.

Haywood looks to me like the 3rd or 4th best option at center on the team depending on who the opponent is. I want to see more of those two back up centers.

As mentioned back up PG is a weakness. Roddy is not a PG (yet) he is a 2 guard. He may never develop into a PG. He has played much much better as a 2. I'd like to see them make a move for a PG who plays both offense and defense. JJ is fun to watch but I'm not sure he should get significant minutes on a team who is serious about being a championship level team.

Farmersfan
12-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by icu812
One of the reasons the D is better is Chandler protecting the paint allows JJ, Terry, & Dirk (all below avg defenders) to be more agressive. Terry is making tons of steals playing passing lanes and Dirk has had some steals as well.

I believe Chandler has only missed 1 game due to stomach virus.

Haywood looks to me like the 3rd or 4th best option at center on the team depending on who the opponent is. I want to see more of those two back up centers.

As mentioned back up PG is a weakness. Roddy is not a PG (yet) he is a 2 guard. He may never develop into a PG. He has played much much better as a 2. I'd like to see them make a move for a PG who plays both offense and defense. JJ is fun to watch but I'm not sure he should get significant minutes on a team who is serious about being a championship level team.

I agree!

Emerson1
12-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Haywood puts out no effort unless he is starting. Hopefully Mahinmi can have a few more double doubles and a team needing help at center might want Haywood.

Txbroadcaster
12-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I have said for years that the Mavs will never win a title until they get something around Dirk! If Dirk has to be the Go-To guy then this team is sunk before it ever starts. but with the players they have on roster now there are at least 4 players on the court at any given time that is capable of making their own shot and getting the points. That's why I was so dumbfounded after the last Mavs loss when JJ Berea was the one who got the shot on the last 5 possessions for the Mavs when Dirk, Terry, Kidd and Chandler were on the court with him. JJ should have been the LAST option! Of course they lost that game!!! Dirk was finally involved on the very last possession and he got the ball 15' above the free throw line and acted like he was a point guard and tried to dribble behind his back. My grandmother could have picked his pocket on that move.........................: :rolleyes:

Even though Dirk is one of the best clutch players in the league?

Farmersfan
12-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

According to who?????

And even if he were "ONE" of the best clutch players in the league it would be offensively only! If the Mavs need a stop on defense Dirk would be their LAST option! Last play of the game against the Mavs the odds are good the other team will post up Dirk before they try any other player.............

Txbroadcaster
12-09-2010, 02:46 PM
According to who?????

And even if he were "ONE" of the best clutch players in the league it would be offensively only! If the Mavs need a stop on defense Dirk would be their LAST option! Last play of the game against the Mavs the odds are good the other team will post up Dirk before they try any other player.............

Dirk is either OMG amazing on offense in the clutch or better on D than u think

his plus/minus in clutch time is plus 29 for last season

http://www.82games.com/0910/CSORT11.HTM

I agree Dirk is not and never will be a defensive force, but he should not asked to be..what he is though is someone who can make a stop.

btw way so far this year Dirk is plus 48 in clutch and 10-2 in clutch situations with Dirk

As a team when Dirk is on the court the D gives up what averages out to 98 points a game..when he is off thecourt 112 points a game

Farmersfan
12-09-2010, 02:58 PM

http://www.82games.com/clutchplay3.htm

Here's an interesting website that rates players in the clutch.

Farmersfan
12-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Dirk is either OMG amazing on offense in the clutch or better on D than u think

his plus/minus in clutch time is plus 29 for last season

http://www.82games.com/0910/CSORT11.HTM

I agree Dirk is not and never will be a defensive force, but he should not asked to be..what he is though is someone who can make a stop.

btw way so far this year Dirk is plus 48 in clutch and 10-2 in clutch situations with Dirk

As a team when Dirk is on the court the D gives up what averages out to 98 points a game..when he is off thecourt 112 points a game

I like your website more than mine TX!

Do you believe Dirk's =/- could be the result of the fact that Dirk rarely is asked to guard the Power Forwards in the league that are scoring threats or the one's that would get the "Clutch" shots? But apparently I don't know the full measure of Dirks value on defense. Game after game after game watching him swat at the ball like a girl instead of going up for the block and moving out of the way to avoid getting contact obviously has tainted my opinion.

Txbroadcaster
12-09-2010, 03:21 PM
I like your website more than mine TX!

Do you believe Dirk's =/- could be the result of the fact that Dirk rarely is asked to guard the Power Forwards in the league that are scoring threats or the one's that would get the "Clutch" shots? But apparently I don't know the full measure of Dirks value on defense. Game after game after game watching him swat at the ball like a girl instead of going up for the block and moving out of the way to avoid getting contact obviously has tainted my opinion.

LOL glad u found that site, I have liked it since I heard about it on Bill Simmons podcast awhle back

i dont know..good point maybe..but again I am not saying hey Dirk is a defensive force..I am saying he has improved to the point where he is not a liabilty like he was in the past

Farmersfan
12-09-2010, 03:28 PM
LOL glad u found that site, I have liked it since I heard about it on Bill Simmons podcast awhle back

i dont know..good point maybe..but again I am not saying hey Dirk is a defensive force..I am saying he has improved to the point where he is not a liabilty like he was in the past

I found this for the 04-05 season. As you can see the team gives up 2 points per 100 possession for the other team with Dirk on the bench. So basically in 04-05 Dirk earned them 1 (ONE) stop every 100 possessions. but notice that ALL the other defensive stats are better with Dirk on the bench. I know he has improved some but not that much.

http://www.82games.com/04DAL11D.HTM

Txbroadcaster
12-09-2010, 03:40 PM
I found this for the 04-05 season. As you can see the team gives up 2 points per 100 possession for the other team with Dirk on the bench. So basically in 04-05 Dirk earned them 1 (ONE) stop every 100 possessions. but notice that ALL the other defensive stats are better with Dirk on the bench. I know he has improved some but not that much.

http://www.82games.com/04DAL11D.HTM

not really all the D stats were better with Dirk on floor..FG % defense was not better, defensive rebounding was not better net points per possesion were not better

crzyjournalist03
12-09-2010, 04:03 PM

And now I'd like to personally thank Txbroadcaster and Famersfan for proving my point!

:D :1popcorn: :stirpot:

Txbroadcaster
12-09-2010, 04:04 PM
And now I'd like to personally thank Txbroadcaster and Famersfan for proving my point!

:D :1popcorn: :stirpot:

lol nah..Farmer and I see things alot closer on Dirk

Farmersfan
12-09-2010, 04:47 PM
lol nah..Farmer and I see things alot closer on Dirk

I like Dirk! I wish the Mavs had 5 of him! I just think we disagree on the AMOUNT of superstardom we should place on Dirk. Offensively he is certainly top 10 and maybe top 5 in the NBA! But his defensive skills are way, way, way down the list in my opinion and that is a factor in determining his worth! I think we will all see Dirk in a different light this season with Chandler holding down the middle! Dirk will be by far harder for other teams to matchup with..... It should be fun!

bleedgreen
12-09-2010, 07:01 PM
The odds are, the Mavs will be in the playoffs. That's where the cream rises to the top.

91 lion
12-09-2010, 08:55 PM
The Mavericks are quitely putting together a very impressive run the last couple of weeks. The have won 10 in a row and are right on the heels of the Spurs as the best record in the NBA. They have beaten the Lakers, Spurs, Nuggets, Jazz, Grizzles, Celtics, Heat, and every other team that is suppose to be the best! (I believe the last 5 wins were without Chandler who has been out hurt)

Are the Mavs currently the best team in the NBA???

they are very good, but not built for the playoffs, IMO.

unclebeebeep
12-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Go MAVS

3afan
12-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Mavs beat NJ last night

next Utah Saturday, then Milw, both at home

Farmersfan
12-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
Mavs beat NJ last night

next Utah Saturday, then Milw, both at home

The Mavs beat Utah by a dozen in Utah last week!

Farmersfan
12-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by 91 lion
they are very good, but not built for the playoffs, IMO.

I know they haven't been in the past but how much do you think the addition of Chandler and Cardinal changes that? Stevenson, Cardinal, Haywood and Chandler are all three about as physical as any group out there.

SintonFan
12-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Mavs are playing about the best right now.

Txbroadcaster
12-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I know they haven't been in the past but how much do you think the addition of Chandler and Cardinal changes that? Stevenson, Cardinal, Haywood and Chandler are all three about as physical as any group out there.

I think this is a play off built team size and depth on inside..2-3 pure scorers..if Roddy B comes back solid then good depth in back court..would like them to find a pure shooter

unclebeebeep
12-11-2010, 09:09 AM
just might be there year finally

3afan
12-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Utah tonight ---- it'll be tough

Spurs continue to roll ...

mustang04
12-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Mavs are playing about the best right now.

I can't wait for the re-match with the Heat....they're playing dang good transition bball right now....GO KING JAMES!