PDA

View Full Version : Harris Rating Picks for Division I & II

BwdLions
12-08-2010, 03:44 PM
3A DIVISION I - STATE FINALS

REGION II REGION III
(12-2) Henderson vs. (14) Ty. Chapel Hill (13-1)

3A DIVISION II - REGIONAL FINALS
REGION I REGION II

(14-0) Brownwood (10) vs. Carthage (12-2)

REGION III REGION IV
(12-2) Coldspring (7) vs. Wimberley (14-0)

wimbo_pro
12-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Wow...they pick Coldspring by 7. This ought to be a good game!

trojandad
12-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Wow...they pick Coldspring by 7. This ought to be a good game!

i think the only reason the points were that big was because of the athens win, and working in athens close loss to chapel hill...

and bwdlions, we're 13-1......:D

wimbo_pro
12-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
i think the only reason the points were that big was because of the athens win, and working in athens close loss to chapel hill...

I wouldnt be surprised to see the predictions going either way by 7 points or so. We seem to be that closely matched. As a homer, I predict a much bigger margin, but I dont want to hurt your feelings!! LOL

ronwx5x
12-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I've seen both Coldspring and Wimberley play. Both are very good, balanced teams. I honestly think Wimberley has the defense to handle the running game and play up to the pass. It most likely won't be a blowout either way, but should be a good one. Wish I could attend. Good luck to both teams.

By the way, I believe Coldspring is 13-1, not 12-2. Their only loss was in Week 0 to Kirbyville and they avenged that one.

BwdLions
12-08-2010, 04:06 PM

I copied that right off their site. I can't believe Harris would make a mistake like that.

trojandad
12-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I've seen both Coldspring and Wimberley play. Both are very good, balanced teams. I honestly think Wimberley has the defense to handle the running game and play up to the pass. It most likely won't be a blowout either way, but should be a good one. Wish I could attend. Good luck to both teams.

By the way, I believe Coldspring is 13-1, not 12-2. Their only loss was in Week 0 to Kirbyville and they avenged that one.

interesting, ron...i respect your opinion, especially on our team in years past....on the other thread, our talk has been explaining wimberley's defense as being good when they average 350 yds a game.....and at the same time winning games by almost 40.....i mean at first i went through our district looking at the quality of team to yield that kind of yardage each week and was salivating, but none of those teams were 14-0 so there has to be more to the story.....

i know our d is playing well, holding teams like bridge city to one td when they put 31 pts on a team like k'ville, and 14 pts to athens who scored 35 on chapel hill.......but i'd appreciate your opinion on why such a high yardage yielding team strikes you overall as a superior defense.......thanks buddy.....

ronwx5x
12-08-2010, 06:11 PM
interesting, ron...i respect your opinion, especially on our team in years past....on the other thread, our talk has been explaining wimberley's defense as being good when they average 350 yds a game.....and at the same time winning games by almost 40.....i mean at first i went through our district looking at the quality of team to yield that kind of yardage each week and was salivating, but none of those teams were 14-0 so there has to be more to the story.....

i know our d is playing well, holding teams like bridge city to one td when they put 31 pts on a team like k'ville, and 14 pts to athens who scored 35 on chapel hill.......but i'd appreciate your opinion on why such a high yardage yielding team strikes you overall as a superior defense.......thanks buddy.....

Coldspring has a terrific running game and very respectable passer. Wimberley has shown they are good at holding up to ground pounders. They might be a little suspect against a strong passing team, but when I saw them play Sweeney, a team that passes a lot, Wimberley was able to break up passes, defend against a very good wide receiver and make some key interceptions. Sweeney also had a very effective running game but ran up against a pretty stout D. Sweeney eventually almost gave up the ground game.

When I saw the Coldspring game against Huffman, Huffman passed about 60-70% of the time even before they found they had trouble running the ball. The problem was that the Huffman receivers did not seem too skilled at their job. Rather than Coldspring breaking up passes the Huffman receivers couldn't make the big catches. The Coldspring backs did make some key plays, including a couple of interceptions, but the Huffman receivers just could not make the big plays.

I feel Wimberley is strong against the run and can defend the pass. Remember, this is one man's opinion based on seeing only one game for each team.

trojandad
12-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Coldspring has a terrific running game and very respectable passer. Wimberley has shown they are good at holding up to ground pounders. They might be a little suspect against a strong passing team, but when I saw them play Sweeney, a team that passes a lot, Wimberley was able to break up passes, defend against a very good wide receiver and make some key interceptions. Sweeney also had a very effective running game but ran up against a pretty stout D. Sweeney eventually almost gave up the ground game.

When I saw the Coldspring game against Huffman, Huffman passed about 60-70% of the time even before they found they had trouble running the ball. The problem was that the Huffman receivers did not seem too skilled at their job. Rather than Coldspring breaking up passes the Huffman receivers couldn't make the big catches. The Coldspring backs did make some key plays, including a couple of interceptions, but the Huffman receivers just could not make the big plays.

I feel Wimberley is strong against the run and can defend the pass. Remember, this is one man's opinion based on seeing only one game for each team.

your right about huffman, in fact, i was just telling someone that huffman gave us the most fits in the running game (and with their ball control passing until they gave up on it)....but in the huffman game, did you catch the fact that they alternated, defensive line play between 3-4 alignments, 4-3, 5-2, even had one 1st down play that they had 7 down linemen? i, by no means am slighting k'ville cause they had the best athletes we faced (my opinion) but huffman had the best scheme against our running game that i saw all year so far......

ronwx5x
12-08-2010, 10:07 PM
your right about huffman, in fact, i was just telling someone that huffman gave us the most fits in the running game (and with their ball control passing until they gave up on it)....but in the huffman game, did you catch the fact that they alternated, defensive line play between 3-4 alignments, 4-3, 5-2, even had one 1st down play that they had 7 down linemen? i, by no means am slighting k'ville cause they had the best athletes we faced (my opinion) but huffman had the best scheme against our running game that i saw all year so far......

I had to go out to my retirement party tonight so I'm late getting back to you!

Yes, I never knew what Huffman was going to show on defense. I counted down linemen several times and it seemed to change every time I counted! On passing downs they still sometimes stacked the line and got burned for it. I wish I had been able to see the 2nd Kirbyville game since I know you guys played lights out. I was really surprised and excited for the team. I like your coach, your town and the "homey" feel of the stadium. It's nice to go to a stadium with real grass.

I always try to meet the folks I sit near and we had a ball. I was in front of a tall gentleman who said he was a retired coach who knew and had coached with Coach Barbay. He was, as you might expect, very knowledgeable and was impressed with the whole team. Coldspring may be my new t-shirt team next year.

trojandad
12-09-2010, 12:09 AM

Yes, I never knew what Huffman was going to show on defense. I counted down linemen several times and it seemed to change every time I counted! On passing downs they still sometimes stacked the line and got burned for it. I wish I had been able to see the 2nd Kirbyville game since I know you guys played lights out. I was really surprised and excited for the team. I like your coach, your town and the "homey" feel of the stadium. It's nice to go to a stadium with real grass.

I always try to meet the folks I sit near and we had a ball. I was in front of a tall gentleman who said he was a retired coach who knew and had coached with Coach Barbay. He was, as you might expect, very knowledgeable and was impressed with the whole team. Coldspring may be my new t-shirt team next year.

it might be fun next year, the qb will be a junior, gilbert will be back, tevon, last years starter and this year sub behind cummings, will be a senior and jv has really bruising freshman rb coming up.....but you've visited us several times the last few years, not like your a newbee here.......

and i dont know who the gentleman might be, still thinking.....

buckeyebob
12-09-2010, 06:17 AM

WOW!! Congrats on the retirement...I will be doing the same on the 31st.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

lostaussie
12-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Wow, that sucks for you..........lol. Congrats:clap::clap:

ronwx5x
12-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the congratulations on my retirement. I turn 66 on the 29th of this month and look forward to "working" on the things I want to do, OR NOT!

Since my wife now gets twice the husband for half the income, she will continue working until the school year is done in early June.

ronwx5x
12-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
WOW!! Congrats on the retirement...I will be doing the same on the 31st.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

And congratulations to you also. Do you have plans for what you plan to do to keep yourself active? I do, but most are short term. Some remodeling around the home (remove wallpaper, replace with texture and paint and replace 2 exterior doors) and enjoying my first grandchild who is due in March. Now I can really enjoy traveling for football next year.

Louie13
12-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Congrats to both of you!

I'll be doing the same thing about when I turn 80! Those words, "half the income" doesn't appeal to me. LOL

:1popcorn: :1popcorn: :1popcorn:

unclebeebeep
12-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Well Im waiting to see how the picks turn out

unclebeebeep
12-11-2010, 09:15 AM
first two right is it going to be a sweep all correct picks hmmmmmm