PDA

View Full Version : Speed and athleticism

GrTigers6
12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Reading another thread made me think of this subject. These are my thoughts on this subject.

You cant count speed unless it comes with athleticism. You can be fast with out being athletic, and it will get you nowhere in football, baseball,basketball. Track on the other hand it helps if there are no objects in the way, hurdles. lol
I would much rather have a bunch of athletes that are fast than have a bunch of fast athletes.
Meaning you need to be an athlete first then you add speed and you become a great athlete.
I was fairly fast in high school. Ran a 4.6 in the 40, but didnt have any side to side quickness till later in life. Had I developed that skill earlier I could have been dangerous. Especially in the 1A school that I went to.
Now to sum up this thread, Being fast doesnt make you good. Teamwork, discipline, talent make you good. The team who is the best in those categories all together will be the victor.

wimbo_pro
12-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Reading another thread made me think of this subject. These are my thoughts on this subject.

You cant count speed unless it comes with athleticism. You can be fast with out being athletic, and it will get you nowhere in football, baseball,basketball. Track on the other hand it helps if there are no objects in the way, hurdles. lol
I would much rather have a bunch of athletes that are fast than have a bunch of fast athletes.
Meaning you need to be an athlete first then you add speed and you become a great athlete.
I was fairly fast in high school. Ran a 4.6 in the 40, but didnt have any side to side quickness till later in life. Had I developed that skill earlier I could have been dangerous. Especially in the 1A school that I went to.
Now to sum up this thread, Being fast doesnt make you good. Teamwork, discipline, talent make you good. The team who is the best in those categories all together will be the victor.

Excellent post, GrTigers. Our '05 Champ team was not faster than WOS, and we were not faster than Gainesville. But we were quicker, and played as a diciplined team. I think we are much the same with this Texan team as well...but maybe not quite as quick.

Txbroadcaster
12-08-2010, 01:53 PM
When I think of a fast team or talk about one I saw I am not talking about straightline speed..I am talking about sideline to sideline pursuit speed, quickness in change of direction and things like that

LoboesWT
12-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Excellent post, GrTigers. Our '05 Champ team was not faster than WOS, and we were not faster than Gainesville. But we were quicker, and played as a diciplined team. I think we are much the same with this Texan team as well...but maybe not quite as quick.

How many times in a game have you seen the faster player over run the play and it ends up being a game changing play? I saw it first hand several times this year alone. Game speed is primary in football. If you are not at the right place at the right time, who cares if you are fast you just beat. Game speed can win, true speed can make some plays!

wimbo_pro
12-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
When I think of a fast team or talk about one I saw I am not talking about straightline speed..I am talking about sideline to sideline pursuit speed, quickness in change of direction and things like that

Exactly TxB. Exactly. Size is the same way...you can have a huge line, but if they arent quick-of-foot and they aren't cohesive, disaster will strike from a team this is just that.

bobcat1
12-08-2010, 02:14 PM
When I think of a fast team or talk about one I saw I am not talking about straightline speed..I am talking about sideline to sideline pursuit speed, quickness in change of direction and things like that You mean football speed right? There is a definite difference.

gold_33
12-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
How many times in a game have you seen the faster player over run the play and it ends up being a game changing play? I saw it first hand several times this year alone. Game speed is primary in football. If you are not at the right place at the right time, who cares if you are fast you just beat. Game speed can win, true speed can make some plays!

Very true, you dont have to be the fastest if you can put yourself in position to make a play everytime and have good technique or fundamentals. Too many guys try to rely on their speed to make plays and it doesnt always work out.

bowleghorses
12-08-2010, 03:56 PM
I wasn't the fastest guy on the team, but I could outrun everyone in pads. figure that.:thinking:

GrTigers6
12-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Excellent post, GrTigers. Our '05 Champ team was not faster than WOS, and we were not faster than Gainesville. But we were quicker, and played as a diciplined team. I think we are much the same with this Texan team as well...but maybe not quite as quick. That is how yall managed to come back from, what was it 17-0 early second quarter lead to win on the last play of the game. Discipline, strength, and yes a little quickness from QB qnd RB.:D

GrTigers6
12-08-2010, 09:01 PM
When I think of a fast team or talk about one I saw I am not talking about straightline speed..I am talking about sideline to sideline pursuit speed, quickness in change of direction and things like that I know txb, i was referring to the people who say that speed is the best assett. Not always the case. As yall know, Glen Rose has never been blessed with a lot of speed, but we make it up in teamwork, coaching strategies, and of course spreading the field. And although we havent won it all we are usually in the running every year.

GR Tiger_14
12-08-2010, 11:50 PM
I think speed is the key. I would rather have a fast athlete so if he does mess up an assignment or a key play, at least he messed it up hauling a$$.