PDA

View Full Version : 175th Anniversary of The Battle of the Alamo Coming in March, 2011!

Phil C
12-06-2010, 01:12 PM
I think the main ones are on March 6, 2011. You can get information by calling the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce. There are to be lots of celebrations and memorials and San Antonio will be the place to be on those days. Enjoy!

Phil C
12-07-2010, 05:18 PM
There have been several movies about the Alamo and they are good ones. I will review some as time goes on because no doubt some will be shown on tv for this great event coming - I hope. The first movie about The Alamo made was in 1911 and was filmed in San Antonio and directed by Willam F. Haddock. Francis Ford had a role in it as Navarro. The movie was only 20 minutes long and was titled "The Immortal Alamo" Unfortunately there are no known surviving copies of this movie but hopefully someone will come across it. This movie would be 100 years old and it would be great a copy of it were discovered and put on youtube. You never told. Some of these old movies are found in unusual places after they were thought lost and others are never found. Let's hope this one gets found.

Phil C
12-07-2010, 05:23 PM
The oldest known surviving first film of the Alamo was made in 1915 by D.W. Griffith and was titled "Martyrs of the Alamo - The Birth of Texas." Like many such movies history is embellished here but it is historically significant. It is 71 minutes long and can be seen on youtube. At youtube in Seach just type in Martyrs of the Alamo the Birth of Texas part 1 and you can see it. Unfortunately distasteful reader comments make it not suitable to put the link here but it is available. The movie is not politically correct compared to now but please remember this was 1915 and the movie should be enjoyed for the historical significance of the movie industry. Enjoy.

Next up will be The Duke's fantastic job of producing, directing and staring in the 1960 fantastic movie "The Alamo."

LIONS#1
12-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I am there!

Phil C
12-15-2010, 12:43 PM
I first to let you know that the 1987 movie The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory will be on the Encore Western Channel this Firday (Dec. 17) starting at 8:30 P.M. It is shown regularly on this station. This is a good movie with a very good cast which consists of James Arness (of Gunsmoke) as Jim Bowie, Brian Keith as Davy Crockett, and also Alex Baldwin as Travis. This movie is good in that it presents viewpoints of both sides. Raul Julia steals the movie as Santa Anna in a great performance. Unfortunately we lost him too early. Also excellent is David Ogden Stiers (Dr. Charles Manchester on MASH tv series) is excellent as the British advisor to Santa Anna. His line to the other offiers about Santa Anna is a classic. This movie is a great version and don't miss it if you haven't seen it.

Phil C
12-15-2010, 12:47 PM
The movie that really started interest in The Alamo in the 50s was Walt Disney's movie called Davy Crocket with Fess Parker as Davy and Buddy Ebsen (later in the Beverly Hillbillies and Barnaby Jones) as George Russell. This movie was originally shown in there parts on the Walt Disney tv show but was released. It mainly was concerned with Davy Crockett at the Creek Indian War, in Congress and then at the Alamo. Even though many people had seen it on tv it was an instant hit on the theatres and made much money for the studio. It created interest for the kids in coonhats, old betsy rifles (toys), and davy crockett belt buckles to name a few. It started interest in the Alamo and several movies about the Alamo and Sam Houston followed.

Phil C
01-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Next month on Feb. 23 will the the 175th anniversary of the start of the siege.