PDA

View Full Version : What 3A school would you choose??

GR Tiger_14
12-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Right now I am in college. I'm majoring in Kineseology and minor in math. I want to be a football/track/baseball coach. Any sport is good with me since I played all of them but preferably football and baseball. Once I graduate, if i do haha, what 6-man/1A/2A/3A/4A/5A school do you think would be the best to try and land a job at?

Keith7
12-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Whitesboro

trojandad
12-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by GR Tiger_14
Right now I am in college. I'm majoring in Kineseology and minor in math. I want to be a football/track/baseball coach. Any sport is good with me since I played all of them but preferably football and baseball. Once I graduate, if i do haha, what 6-man/1A/2A/3A/4A/5A school do you think would be the best to try and land a job at?

my son is graduating this month and wants to possibly do the same as you.....my advise to him was this....."if you're gonna do it short term, go for the money......if you're gonna do it long term, go for the responsibility".....

(and remember, free advise is worth what you paid for it.....:D )

j_dog
12-06-2010, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by trojandad
my son is graduating this month and wants to possibly do the same as you.....my advise to him was this....."if you're gonna do it short term, go for the money......if you're gonna do it long term, go for the responsibility".....

(and remember, free advise is worth what you paid for it.....:D )
and go to a place where you will enjoy being. if you do not enjoy your work, you probably will not be successful.

buckeyebob
12-06-2010, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by GR Tiger_14

Easy....first, congrats on a great decision...minor in math...you can always find a job.

Coaching? Try for the best & learn from the best. Those programs that turn out winners year in, year out. Serve your time & listen.

A really old fart,

XMan
12-06-2010, 07:19 AM
If you are serious about baseball, go bigger than 3a. 3a baseball gets screwed around. If you are just into baseball as an extra stipend, 3a is perfect. Also, it would be really difficult to do baseball/track since they are going on at the same time.

pancho villa
12-06-2010, 08:25 AM
I have coached at a 5A, 4A, and now a 3A. The 3A level is the best. You learn to be more rounded as a coach. Not just specializing in just a few things. Much better community support, the people you work with are much better.(Principals, teachers, coaches).

NastySlot
12-06-2010, 09:55 AM
start at a junior high on any level(5a-1a).............and scout as often as possible........thought I knew football.....learn so much early on from scouting and breaking down tape.

underware
12-06-2010, 10:12 AM
I would find a school that went 1-9 or 0-10. Starting from the bottom and help the kids on a winning record. That would be something to feel really good about.

44INAROW
12-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Cuero is a good place :)

eagles_victory
12-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Cuero is a good place :) I was going to coach there until I met you on here :D

Ernest T Bass
12-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Go where you can get a job. That first one is always hard to get. My first year out, I put in for damned near every opening that came up. If anything, be picky about your geographic area. If you're picky about the school or level of responsibility(ie, Jr high, varsity, etc...), you'll likely still be looking for a job in August.
My advice; flood the market. Apply for every lower level high school job(short of coordinators and major positions, ie... O-line, QBs, and secondary. Those usually go to the most experienced guys) and every jr high job you see in your teaching field.
Good luck, an welcome to the greatest profession in the world!

44INAROW
12-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I was going to coach there until I met you on here :D
hey now.. I could give you a good recommendation :)

there is no "starting at Jr High" in Cuero. All coaches are involved with Jr High and Sub Varsity programs. The HC works with 7th graders - think that's a great system. Mark Reeve started that in Cuero and I hope it continues. The kids build a relationship with the coaches that hopefully goes through 12th grade. My youngest will be in your shoes in 18 months.. Wishing you good luck :)

lulu
12-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
hey now.. I could give you a good recommendation :)

there is no "starting at Jr High" in Cuero. All coaches are involved with Jr High and Sub Varsity programs. The HC works with 7th graders - think that's a great system. Mark Reeve started that in Cuero and I hope it continues. The kids build a relationship with the coaches that hopefully goes through 12th grade. My youngest will be in your shoes in 18 months.. Wishing you good luck :)
Come join Poe and staff at Longview SH. He's starting from the bottom and has the potential to take it to the top. We will treat you right. Kids and parent really like him . As do the coaching staff.

XMan
12-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Better yet, go to Pine Tree. Work 24 hrs/day, 7 days a week and win a game or 2 a year. Terrific.

lulu
12-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Better yet, go to Pine Tree. Work 24 hrs/day, 7 days a week and win a game or 2 a year. Terrific.

yhea....even SH could beat PT most years.

Ernest T Bass
12-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by XMan

Welcome to the coaching profession.

Charlie47
12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Lovejoy!

Growing, Exemplary system. Beautiful, new facilities. Area is growing
, unbelieveable shopping, dining and entertainment in the area. Lots
housing very near the school, in all price ranges.:)

bobcat1
12-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Celina is a great place to live. Lot's of experience to learn from.

Daddy D 11
12-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Nearly everyone on the thread forgot to name a town lol

I'd want to coach in Llano. Real cool town, decent hunting within a short drive, good fan support, no other school districts that are real close that could steal your kids. You can implement a system that even your 7th and 8th graders will run since the school district is pretty small.

Stemming off that question, what offense would you run if you were an OC or HC?

I'd run 80-90% of the time out of a million different formations. Slot T, Wing T, Wishbone, Flexbone, Pistol, Diamond, Power I, I formation, Full house, etc. I'd be a master in throwing so many different looks at you, only to run pretty basic plays. Oh, and I also would have the biggest bag of trick plays ever. They're so easy to run against high school kids, specially at the lower levels.

garciap77
12-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Abilene WYILE!!!!

GR Tiger_14
12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone. I will take all of it into consideration for sure.

It's too bad I have 3 more years of college left before I enter the real world. I will repost this thread 3 years from now :D :D

wimbo_pro
12-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Go where you can get a job. That first one is always hard to get. My first year out, I put in for damned near every opening that came up. If anything, be picky about your geographic area. If you're picky about the school or level of responsibility(ie, Jr high, varsity, etc...), you'll likely still be looking for a job in August.
My advice; flood the market. Apply for every lower level high school job(short of coordinators and major positions, ie... O-line, QBs, and secondary. Those usually go to the most experienced guys) and every jr high job you see in your teaching field.
Good luck, an welcome to the greatest profession in the world!

Good advice. Worry about what level and where to go when you get more than one solid offer.

unclebeebeep
12-07-2010, 10:29 PM
cuero

Who-dun-it!!?
12-07-2010, 11:08 PM
If your heart is really in it, Go anywhere in Texas and you can make a difference.

LIONS#1
12-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Brownwood of course!!

carter08
12-08-2010, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by LIONS#1
Brownwood of course!!

Of course!