PDA

View Full Version : Texas Longhorns new Offensive Coordinator....

eagles_victory
12-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Mike Leach. I have heard from a friend who knows a booster that says they are in serious talks with coach Leach.

44INAROW
12-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Mike Leach. I have heard from a friend who knows a booster that says they are in serious talks with coach Leach.
my brother's wife's nephew said his bosses cousin's ex-wife also confirmed they are talking to Leach :D

sorry EV - I just couldn't resist ;)

NateDawg39
12-03-2010, 11:32 AM
No no no no no this can not happen.....think of the outrage, think of the pandemonium, absolute bedlam!! :eek:

Txbroadcaster
12-03-2010, 11:52 AM
First..Davis is not even officially gone..Texas first option IMO will be the OSU Cord Holgorsen

I just dont see them bringing Leach in when they have someone like Malcolm Williams coming in

NastySlot
12-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Leech is a very good offensive coach...........but an assistant idk.

something tells me he has an ego.

DDBooger
12-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
First..Davis is not even officially gone..Texas first option IMO will be the OSU Cord Holgorsen :mad:

TexanAlum_06
12-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I would say the chance of Mike Leach coaching at Texas next year is 0%..... if not into the negatives. No way it happens.

vet93
12-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I think that Holgorsen is equivalent to Leach without the baggage. I would say that MUCH of OSU's success this season can be explained by the addition of Holgorsen. It would be quite a coup if Texas could get him...it would harm OSU and help themselves. The only problem is that he will soon be the head man somewhere. I think that OSU would have been a 4 or 5 loss team this year without Holgorsen.

Txbroadcaster
12-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by vet93
I think that Holgorsen is equivalent to Leach without the baggage. I would say that MUCH of OSU's success this season can be explained by the addition of Holgorsen. It would be quite a coup if Texas could get him...it would harm OSU and help themselves. The only problem is that he will soon be the head man somewhere. I think that OSU would have been a 4 or 5 loss team this year without Holgorsen.

I honestly dont think UT cares about Leach's baggage as much as his lack of using a ground game in his scheme

DDBooger
12-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by vet93
I think that Holgorsen is equivalent to Leach without the baggage. I would say that MUCH of OSU's success this season can be explained by the addition of Holgorsen. It would be quite a coup if Texas could get him...it would harm OSU and help themselves. The only problem is that he will soon be the head man somewhere. I think that OSU would have been a 4 or 5 loss team this year without Holgorsen. +1

marler1972
12-03-2010, 12:09 PM
If flubberville does not win more games next year at Tech, I would look (hope) for Holgorsen to be their next head coach.
Myers is retiring after this year, then the next move will to be rid of that scum Kent Hance.

TexanAlum_06
12-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I honestly dont think UT cares about Leach's baggage as much as his lack of using a ground game in his scheme

You really think UT would hire Leach with all the legal crap going on right now with ESPN?

hollywood
12-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I heard Todd Dodge...

It's just hear say though. ;)

trojandad
12-03-2010, 12:49 PM

exactly....how many negatives can be stockpiled on one man?....if he starts biting heads of baby chicks it couldn't get worse than it is with him.....

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh i heard it was Bob Shipley, but that was at the Whataburger in Early, so you never know.

bobcat1
12-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Oh i heard it was Bob Shipley, but that was at the Whataburger in Early, so you never know. :fnypost:

themsu97
12-03-2010, 01:41 PM
problem is, this story has not been confirmed by anyone and it is speculation...

Last update stated that Mack Brown said that UT was still evaluating... so as of now no coach has been replaced...
this is all rumor...
it could be true... but after the run Texas has had this would be a knee jerk reaction... something that Mack rarely does...

if it is true, Mack will go after someone who will run the ball more effectively and could possibly be a running backs coach since making Major the qb coach would be easy...

Ernest T Bass
12-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Not gonna be an OC from a successful FBS school, so forget that. What would a Malzahn or a Holmgren gain from coming to Texas to do the same job they're already doing? Norm Chow has expressed that he has no interest in being an HC, so that's a possibility.
It's also not gonna be Leach or Mangino. They are successful HC's and they will get HC jobs if they want them. Someone will hire them.
However, Todd Dodge has expressed that this is the exact type of position he would like(or even as QB coach if Major gets promoted).
Chad Morris might also be a possibility, since Texas is obviously a step up from Tulsa.

buff4ever
12-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
my brother's wife's nephew said his bosses cousin's ex-wife also confirmed they are talking to Leach :D

sorry EV - I just couldn't resist ;)

Good stuff 44

NastySlot
12-03-2010, 02:32 PM
holgerson...wasn't he on leech's staff at tech?

Daddy D 11
12-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
holgerson...wasn't he on leech's staff at tech?

Yes. I think the horns should go after Lincoln Riley. He was the WRs coach at Tech under Leach and was the interim OC last year when Leach went down. He went to ECU with Ruffin McNeal and runs a damn good system like Leach and Holgreson. Plus he is young and would be easy to nab.

DDBooger
12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
holgerson...wasn't he on leech's staff at tech? yup, then went to UH and impressed OSU when UH beat them last year. His power pistol has gotten some attention. Stoops said they borrowed it from him. lol

Daddy D 11
12-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
yup, then went to UH and impressed OSU when UH beat them last year. His power pistol has gotten some attention. Stoops said they borrowed it from him. lol

"the diamond" lol

Ernest T Bass
12-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Yes. I think the horns should go after Lincoln Riley. He was the WRs coach at Tech under Leach and was the interim OC last year when Leach went down. He went to ECU with Ruffin McNeal and runs a damn good system like Leach and Holgreson. Plus he is young and would be easy to nab.

And is a graduate of Muleshoe High School.

Daddy D 11
12-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
And is a graduate of Muleshoe High School.

Well there ya go! Even more reason.

Ernest T Bass
12-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Gonna have to put up some numbers and put some skins on the wall before Lincoln can get a gig like that. UT ain't ECU.

Txbroadcaster
12-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Not gonna be an OC from a successful FBS school, so forget that. What would a Malzahn or a Holmgren gain from coming to Texas to do the same job they're already doing? .

More money..simple as that

Daddy D 11
12-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Gonna have to put up some numbers and put some skins on the wall before Lincoln can get a gig like that. UT ain't ECU.

Most coordinators come out of no where and are hires that make you scratch your head at first and them love it later. Who the hell was Holgreson when UH hired him? He didn't have skins on the wall as an OC. With the spread the way it is across the country right now, coordinators are everywhere that might not have skins on the wall but can easily get the job done and be superstars very soon.

You are literally shooting down every suggestion anyone is making lol

Who in your mind should or will get the job? I want to hear it.

Daddy D 11
12-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Most coordinators come out of no where and are hires that make you scratch your head at first and them love it later. Who the hell was Holgreson when UH hired him? He didn't have skins on the wall as an OC. With the spread the way it is across the country right now, coordinators are everywhere that might not have skins on the wall but can easily get the job done and be superstars very soon.

Malzhan was a nobody when Arkansas hired him. He only had high school skins on the wall.
Chip Kelley only had Div II skins on the wall when Oregon hired him, he seems to be doing fine. Leach had no skins on the wall when he was hired at OU. With the spread, it isn't so much about being proven as an OC...It's about who you were a disciple under.

Phil C
12-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Say I got an old chess book published in 1942 called Chess for Fun and Chess for Blood by Edward Lasker. I would like $300,000 but would settle for $250,000 from a fellow 3A Downlow poster but of course I would have to do lots of talking and persuading to my wife to let me sell it.

Ernest T Bass
12-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Holmgren was co-offensive coordinator at Tech(as well as several other offensive positions) before going to UH. Not exactly a nobody.
Honestly, I expect a co-coordintor from a successful FBS program or possibly an NFL position coach to get the gig, if not someone with Mack Brown ties(most likely). Could possibly get a current OC from a very successful mid-major(Miami OH, etc...).
I can't imagine Texas paying Malzahn much more than Auburn will be paying him after this season. He and Holmgren's next move will more than likely be to a HC position.

Daddy D 11
12-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Holmgren was co-offensive coordinator at Tech(as well as several other offensive positions) before going to UH. Not exactly a nobody.
Honestly, I expect a co-coordintor from a successful FBS program or possibly an NFL position coach to get the gig, if not someone with Mack Brown ties(most likely). Could possibly get a current OC from a very successful mid-major(Miami OH, etc...).
I can't imagine Texas paying Malzahn much more than Auburn will be paying him after this season. He and Holmgren's next move will more than likely be to a HC position.

Oh I think there is no way UT gets Holgreson or Malzhan.. those two are quickly going to become HC's. What I am saying is that to think that UT won't go get a young up and coming mind that has learned under a person they admire is crazy. The Lincoln Riley, Major Applewhite types is what I think they should and are going to go after. You really do not need skins on the wall to land OC jobs anymore, even at Texas. With the age of the spread, there are SO MANY people that learned under great minds that are excelling at all places across the country with inferior talent to UTs. Who ever said Chad Morris earlier is on to something, specially since Gilbert and him are LT guys. Tulsa's offense is innovative, quick tempo, and uses a lot of gadget plays... it's exactly what Texas needs. No more predictable, conservative garbage that Davis has been spewing out for 10 years. Before Vince got to Austin, the pressure was almost as bad as it is now to get rid of Greg Davis. But two NCAA half of fame like talents at QB can cover up anyones horrible play calling.

Ernest T Bass
12-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Malzhan was a nobody when Arkansas hired him. He only had high school skins on the wall.
Chip Kelley only had Div II skins on the wall when Oregon hired him, he seems to be doing fine. Leach had no skins on the wall when he was hired at OU. With the spread, it isn't so much about being proven as an OC...It's about who you were a disciple under.

Malzhan was the Arkansas version of Todd Dodge. Plus he came with one of the most sought-after QBs in the country at the time.
These guys may not have been known to us, but I guarantee they were well known and respected in coaching circles, especially Leach. Id love to see Lincoln Riley get the job(he's a friend of mine), but a 28 year old with one year of coordinator experience at an average mid-major program isn't gonna get one of the highest profile jobs in the country.

Daddy D 11
12-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Malzhan was the Arkansas version of Todd Dodge. Plus he came with one of the most sought-after QBs in the country at the time.
These guys may not have been known to us, but I guarantee they were well known and respected in coaching circles, especially Leach. Id love to see Lincoln Riley get the job(he's a friend of mine), but a 28 year old with one year of coordinator experience at an average mid-major program isn't gonna get one of the highest profile jobs in the country.

That's what I am saying though, Lincoln Riley or Chad Morris, or whomever are the unknown guys in the coaching circles right now. Steal one of them now and Texas is locked in for a while. To say Texas should reach to the NFL or go with an established OC somewhere else in college football is the wrong move I think. Do what most every other team is doing and pluck a young mind that is respected already but not well known and let him take your offense to the next level. Greg Davis is running a 2001 type spread lol the more I think about Chad Morris the more it makes sense.

Ernest T Bass
12-03-2010, 03:37 PM
The wild card in all of this speculation is what direction will Mack Daddy wanna go in with his offense. After last year, he decided he wanted to go to an Alabama-style, downhill, pro-style balanced attack. Not what Texas or GD have done at all in the last 13 years(which was quite possibly a cause for the anemia-based offense we saw this year).
If that still be the case, maybe an SEC co-coordinator?

Daddy D 11
12-03-2010, 03:38 PM
The wild card in all of this speculation is what direction will Mack Daddy wanna go in with his offense. After last year, he decided he wanted to go to an Alabama-style, downhill, pro-style balanced attack. Not what Texas or GD have done at all in the last 13 years(which was quite possibly a cause for the anemia-based offense we saw this year).
If that still be the case, maybe an SEC co-coordinator?

Didn't Major work under Saban at Bama for a year? LMAO, there ya go...

keenoace
12-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Leech is a very good offensive coach...........but an assistant idk.

something tells me he has an ego.

he would probably make more money at UT as the OC then he would of anywhere else.

defense51
12-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
I would say the chance of Mike Leach coaching at Texas next year is 0%..... if not into the negatives. No way it happens. +1

Ernest T Bass
12-03-2010, 03:56 PM
That's what I am saying though, Lincoln Riley or Chad Morris, or whomever are the unknown guys in the coaching circles right now. Steal one of them now and Texas is locked in for a while. To say Texas should reach to the NFL or go with an established OC somewhere else in college football is the wrong move I think. Do what most every other team is doing and pluck a young mind that is respected already but not well known and let him take your offense to the next level. Greg Davis is running a 2001 type spread lol the more I think about Chad Morris the more it makes sense.

Im not saying they SHOULD look to the NFL ranks, I was prediciting that they may. I agree that Chad Morris would be a great pick, as would Todd Dodge. I also halfway expect Major to get promoted and they bring in Dodge to coach QBs.

Daddy D 11
12-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Im not saying they SHOULD look to the NFL ranks, I was prediciting that they may. I agree that Chad Morris would be a great pick, as would Todd Dodge. I also halfway expect Major to get promoted and they bring in Dodge to coach QBs.

Man I just don't know about Dodge. He was a freaking bust and a half in the college ranks.

Ernest T Bass
12-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Man I just don't know about Dodge. He was a freaking bust and a half in the college ranks.

As a head coach, yes. Very different from being an OC. Besides, it was a mess when he took it and he was misled on alot of things. I think he'd do a great job if all he had to worry about was the offense, or just the QBs.

WildTexan972
12-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by marler1972
If flubberville does not win more games next year at Tech, I would look (hope) for Holgorsen to be their next head coach.
Myers is retiring after this year, then the next move will to be rid of that scum Kent Hance.

Hance ain't goin anywhere till HE decides he wants to leave....he has political ties no one else has AND raises cash so they won't ever consider lettin him go....I don't really like him since he is a snake politician, but he is loved by the Board of Regents...

charlesrixey
12-03-2010, 07:08 PM

i totally agree with the chad morris idea. His success was a lot like Briles. although i do think todd dodge would be a good fit as a coordinator and nothing else. A popular UT guy who has innovative offenses himself.

Clyde
12-03-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't think it will be a spread offensive coordinator. Mack has said he wants to get back to running the ball. That is why they dumped the zone read and went under center this year. I don't think Leach, Holgerson, Malzhan, or Morris are what Texas has in mind. They have recruited towards running the ball the last 2 years. You can definitely see Muschamp's influence on the decisions at UT. He has an SEC background and I think it will something in the lines of what Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Stanford, and South Carolina run. It will be an OC from a run oriented team, or a position coach or even OC from the NFL. Reports have said that money is not an object and they will get the best person available. I think you will see a balanced, pro style offensive mind. Mack said after last years BCS that he did not want to be in a position where the loss of one player (ie McCoy) would put you in position to lose. He wants to be able to run the ball at will when he needs to. With this in mind, the UT offense will more likely resemble Alabama than any of the spread offenses.