PDA

View Full Version : 3A All-State QB's

Matthew328
12-16-2001, 10:42 PM
Ok with the season winding down it's time for all-state picks..thoughts on this? Here are my picks

1st Team: Shawn Bell, China Spring
2nd Team: Johnny Louvier, Gladewater
Honorable Mention: Caleb Ensor, Abilene Wylie
Billy Pittman, Cameron Yoe

evebulldog01
12-16-2001, 10:55 PM
Hey mathew how about Benton huh? he didn't throw a pick in fiftenn games. And he won that state championship for us yesterday.

Matthew328
12-16-2001, 11:02 PM
Mike is a great QB and had a great year...his numbers weren't as good as those other guys..I think if he woulda played full time all year he would be on my team no doubt!

evebulldog01
12-16-2001, 11:11 PM
OK I understand that yea I feel the same way that if he would have played all year he would have the same numbers. Although now that I think about it they probably wouldn't have been much better since we didn't have to pass. We could beat everyone with our stable of running backs.

eye of the tiger
12-16-2001, 11:19 PM
Phillip Daugherty from Bridgeport. The kid is calm, cool, and deadly. Louvier from Gladewater was impressive also.

REBEL II
12-16-2001, 11:25 PM
I agree Matthew, with all except Billy Pittman and Sean Bell.(17AAA was way down this year) Plus Billy missed games b/c of injury and also his stats were down in the big games; I thought. They were favored to win District and Giddings held him to nothing and won district! So I would have to say DERRICK BLASIG, who took his team to a District Championship and a 13 Game Winning Streak. Derrick made some great decisions and big time throws in the play-offs against some very athletic Division III teams.(Diboll, Rice, Newton, LaGrange) Some of the best 3A Teams around so give the young man some credit! Derrick deserves honors. Also I do admit if any QB deserves it more than Derrick.....(even though his district and play-off opponents were not as tough) Aderle from LaGrange has done an awesome job! Especially beatin Giddings twice in 1 year. Results speak. Sean Bell, great year but where has he been the past few weeks? In the Gym? Some say China Springs would have won state if they had been 2A!

deliriousmaniac
12-17-2001, 10:09 AM
You have to be out of your mind if you don't give the QB from Bridgeport 1st team. The kid broke the 3A passing record. This guy is the real stuff.

3Aroy
12-17-2001, 12:59 PM
Shawn Bell deserves to be 1st team. He threw for 400 yards in the game against Newton. If his team had a better defense, China Springs would still be in the running. They allowed Newton to score 59 on them. He has nothing to do with his team losing.

Matthew328
12-17-2001, 01:20 PM
The Bridgeport kid did have great numbers...but I liked Pittman from Yoe beacuse he was pretty much the only offense the team had and they still managed to go 9-2 with him as basically the only offensive weapon and that impressed me

interested bystander
12-17-2001, 02:37 PM
Just wondering Matthew....did you get to see the kid from Bridgeport play? At 6'3", 210, he has an exceptional arm. And apparently he is the only offensive weapon for Bridgeport since you didn't name any of their receivers to your all state team. I didn't think anyone could throw for 390 yards against Commerce but he did. I went expecting a blow out but their qb and receivers kept them in it.

Hitters
12-17-2001, 05:45 PM
The QB from Bridgeport should easily win 1st team honors if not 3a offensive MVP. Not only did he set the class 3a passing record he was only 30 yds from setting the most passing yds in a season for all classifications. Going into his senior year he is only 1000 yds away from being the all-time leading passer in the state. He'll accomplish that in 3 games. I understand that the one QB passed for over 400 in one game but the Bridgeport QB passed for over 450yds in two different games this year. As for weapons where would Bridgeport have been without there QB this year?

cosmicowgirl
12-17-2001, 07:27 PM
WE AS COMMERCE FANS WATCHED BOTH QB'S FROM
GLADWATER AND BRIDGEPORT PLAY. THE KID FROM BRIDGEPORT WAS A EXCELLENT QB AND NEEDS TO BE IN THERE SOMEWHERE. YOU CAN NEVER COUNT
HIM OUT OF A BALL-GAME.

maestro
12-18-2001, 10:09 AM
I saw where you had Antonio Burrell as 1st team receiver. Good choice, but who throws him the ball? Could Commerce QB be Honorable mention selection considering intangibles such as leadership and presence? No he doesnt have 4,000 yds passing or 2,000 yards rushing but he responds in pressure situations and provides the leadership and cool head a QB is supposed to have. And yes I am a little biased.

oldbuff78
12-18-2001, 10:58 AM
newton was qb for lg the first time they beat giddings.SHAWN BELL FROM CHINA SPRINGS HAS MY VOTE!!!

cosmicowgirl
12-18-2001, 04:28 PM
Maestro it is ok if you are biased...lol...I agree with ya. That QB pulls all the tricks out of the hat when he is needed - leadership, skill, and has a heart the size of Dallas!

cosmicowgirl
12-18-2001, 04:29 PM
Sorry I meant to say a heart the size of Texas!!!

toby070
12-18-2001, 08:50 PM
I haven't seen any of these guys play, but if Burnet stays in 3A, I'd put in an early vote for their QB as an all-state candidate next year (soph, his name escapes me now for some reason). He was way cool for a soph, and most of his team, including WR Shipley (a burner!) are back.

footballmom
12-19-2001, 05:39 PM
The Anderle kid from LG has to be at least in the running. He's quick and crafty. And only a Sophomore!