PDA

View Full Version : Good Riddance Greg Davis

JHS_c/o_06'
12-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I know that we are not suppose to post links from media outlets. But im pretty sure this isn't a media outlet

http://recruitocosm.fantake.com/2010/12/02/coordinator-level-changes-big-cigar/

As a graduating senior from Texas - this is the best graduation present i could ever ask for.

Phil C
12-02-2010, 12:51 PM
:eek: :confused: :(

JHS_c/o_06'
12-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Phil....you canNOT tell me that you think we should keep him around.

Phil C
12-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
Phil....you canNOT tell me that you think we should keep him around.

Maybe not as OC but still he is a good coach. Maybe in a different capacity.

Ernest T Bass
12-02-2010, 12:57 PM
He must have been hit in the head over the summer or something. He sure was smart last year.

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
He must have been hit in the head over the summer or something. He sure was smart last year.

for MOST Horn fans Davis has always needed to go

Ernest T Bass
12-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
for MOST Horn fans Davis has always needed to go

Even when they were winning Big XII titles and BCS championships?

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 01:07 PM

yep even then...We saw to many times when Texas played the likes of OU that the offense would go into a conservative shell..then when playing lesser teams the offense would open up and be aggressive

DDBooger
12-02-2010, 01:12 PM
So, what is everyone's opinion on who they go after? What kind of system?

Ernest T Bass
12-02-2010, 01:23 PM
"In his 13 seasons in Austin, Davis' offenses have re-written the record books and helped take Texas to a national championship in 2005 and a second title game appearance in 2009. In 2005, he was recognized as the nation's top assistant coach, earning the Frank Broyles Award." from orangebloods.com

Must have been a helluva summer for Coach Davis.

NastySlot
12-02-2010, 01:26 PM
"In his 13 seasons in Austin, Davis' offenses have re-written the record books and helped take Texas to a national championship in 2005 and a second title game appearance in 2009. In 2005, he was recognized as the nation's top assistant coach, earning the Frank Broyles Award." from orangebloods.com

I'll bet if you put together a resume of his accomplishments......and left off his name and posted it half those pushing for his dismissal would jump on his resume and say we should really look at this guy.

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
I'll bet if you put together a resume of his accomplishments......and left off his name and posted it half those pushing for his dismissal would jump on his resume and say we should really look at this guy.

Again..Yes he has rewritten offensive record books for UT..but to many UT fans saw in the bigger games he had a bad habit of ecoming WAY WAT to conservative and then agianst lesser opponents opening things up

You could say the same thing about Wade Phillips as a HC as far as recrod

Maroon87
12-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger

Well, if Malcolm Brown is coming, I'd say someone who has had success running the football.

Ernest T Bass
12-02-2010, 01:30 PM
but to many UT fans saw in the bigger games he had a bad habit of ecoming WAY WAT to conservative and then agianst lesser opponents opening things up

Well crap, they should get headsets with their tickets then so they could let him know what he's doing wrong.
"Opening things up" involves a risk/reward factor. A botched play against Wyoming isn't likely to haunt you like a botched play against OU.
That being said, two BCS appearances and I dont know how many BigXII titles says that his approach wasn't too bad. But, someone has to take the fall for this season, I reckon, and it ain't gonna be Mack Daddy.

NastySlot
12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
why not get rid of the whole staff..........all the money in world, the most 5 star recruits...coaching pay raises year in year out....and only one title............and 5-7 should never happen.

please note.........I don't like it when coaches get bashed....and Definitely not like when anybody get happy about anyone losing a job.

NastySlot
12-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Again..Yes he has rewritten offensive record books for UT..but to many UT fans saw in the bigger games he had a bad habit of ecoming WAY WAT to conservative and then agianst lesser opponents opening things up

You could say the same thing about Wade Phillips as a HC as far as recrod

phillips win a super bowl?

jp744
12-02-2010, 01:34 PM

Your only remembered by your last snap. Everyone can be replaced.

NastySlot
12-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Well, if Malcolm Brown is coming, I'd say someone who has had success running the football.

with a running system?..........so he would have to install the system right?

NastySlot
12-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by jp744
Your only remembered by your last snap. Everyone can be replaced.

Colt McCoy is a winner not some guy that got dead armed in NC.

Txbroadcaster
Well crap, they should get headsets with their tickets then so they could let him know what he's doing wrong.
"Opening things up" involves a risk/reward factor. A botched play against Wyoming isn't likely to haunt you like a botched play against OU.
That being said, two BCS appearances and I dont know how many BigXII titles says that his approach wasn't too bad. But, someone has to take the fall for this season, I reckon, and it ain't gonna be Mack Daddy.

Your right EVERY COACH in the world should never be fired.

and the Big 12 titles...TWO in 13 years..and to many times the offense AGIANST OU was bad, simple as that

DDBooger
How much of that explosive offense was improvisation from athletes like VY? I remember Mack talking about just letting VY go his jr year whereas prior they were very conservative.

Ernest T Bass
12-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Your right EVERY COACH in the world should never be fired.

Nope, but one losing season out of 13 shouldn't do it.

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Nope, but one losing season out of 13 shouldn't do it.

Again...The offense has been a problem in big games agianst top opponents..the losing record in a lot of people's view only gave the avenue to get rid of him.

NastySlot
12-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Again...The offense has been a problem in big games agianst top opponents..the losing record in a lot of people's view only gave the avenue to get rid of him.

I don't know (i don't go against you to just do I do respect you a lot)....look at the bowl games....not too many defensive struggles....not even the NC last year...Bama got too conservative and once they had the lead played not to lose... Davis and the staff had to do some coaching to keep Texas and a backup qb in the game.....the other bowls be honest the horns did great jobs of outscoring teams to win....they didn't or haven't shut too many opponents down.

and credit ou at times solid defensive play.

NastySlot
12-02-2010, 01:53 PM
I think it was said during the texas/a&m game...Brown said that too many times the fans want what they see others doing....ie passing and high scoring offenses by other teams around the country.

NateDawg39
12-02-2010, 01:55 PM
So what was the Texas win vs loss record in his time with the Horns?

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't know (i don't go against you to just do I do respect you a lot)....look at the bowl games....not too many defensive struggles....not even the NC last year...Bama got too conservative and once they had the lead played not to lose... Davis and the staff had to do some coaching to keep Texas and a backup qb in the game.....the other bowls be honest the horns did great jobs of outscoring teams to win....they didn't or haven't shut too many opponents down.

and credit ou at times solid defensive play.

Problem is..right or wrong..to many felt Davis in the NC game played way to conservative until the game was getting out of hand, then opened it up and boom UT got close...who knows on that part

This year was hard to guage..was it a talent problem or a game plan problem? Players like DJ Monroe would have a huge play then never see the field again and then in press conference after the game Brown and Davis would say things like..Well Monroe should have got the ball more and he will in future again and again and agian

All I know as a UT fan until they took the reigns off Vince Young the Texas offense always seemed to play short in big games with to many 3rd and 8 plays going for 3yards and so on.

Davis was famous for having a terrible gameplan agianst OU, then after that game finding a young weapon to ride agianst weaker teams and then everyone would ask..wait, why was he not used more agianst OU( Cedric Benson in 2002 being the big one).

Aesculus gilmus
12-02-2010, 02:10 PM
It is inexcusable for Texas to EVER have a losing season in football. That in and of itself is cause to CLEAN HOUSE of the ENTIRE staff, including the Mackster, who looks so tired he ought to head for the house anyhow. He needs to get a checkup. He looks like he might be dying to me.

Tsip85
12-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I'll bet if you put together a resume of his accomplishments......and left off his name and posted it half those pushing for his dismissal would jump on his resume and say we should really look at this guy. You'd think...but just wait and see how many programs go knocking on his door trying to hire him. There's a reason why GD has been with Mack for so long while the Horns have seen 2 of Mack's Defensive Coordinators go on to take Head Coaching gigs. It's easy to call plays and be a "great" OC when you have players like VY, Colt, and Ship. GD should have been fired years ago!!

Ernest T Bass
12-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Tsip85
It's easy to call plays and be a "great" OC when you have players like VY, Colt, and Ship. GD should have been fired years ago!!

Name me one successful D1 program without great athletes...

BwdLion73
12-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Wing T :thinking:

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Name me one successful D1 program without great athletes...

Give me a game where people said..wow the Davis game plan was awesome, he really did a good job of attacking the opposing D...I can think of one..2008 agianst OU, THAT was a great game plan

NastySlot
12-02-2010, 02:26 PM
I have heard some sips...tell me Gus Malzhan.....if he came he wouldn't stay....already made Muschump "Coach in Waiting"....Malzhan is a rising star with HC written all over him.

surprised Miami hasn't jumped all over him..........but he does have a SEC title to prep for and maybe a NC.

Maroon87
12-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Wonder if Mack would promote Applewhite to OC?:thinking:

BwdLions
12-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Wonder if Mack would promote Applewhite to OC?:thinking:

That's not going to happen right now. Supposedly he will get his chance at the position when it opens up again. They're going after a big name. Besides Applewhite has been under GD too long. He needs to learn from someone who has a different philosophy (instead of the East-West offense we've been watching for years at UT).

Also heard that O-line coach McWhorter, D-line coach Tolleson and WR coach Kennedy are probably not coming back next year either.

Ernest T Bass
12-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Give me a game where people said..wow the Davis game plan was awesome, he really did a good job of attacking the opposing D...I can think of one..2008 agianst OU, THAT was a great game plan

Now, in your one year of coaching, you HAD to have learned that in the eyes of fans, a good game/season is due to the players and a bad game/season is due to the coaches.

Ernest T Bass
12-02-2010, 02:41 PM

Todd Dodge?

NastySlot
12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Todd Dodge?

Chad Morris?

note:
i've heard other aggies tell me we should go after him.

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Now, in your one year of coaching, you HAD to have learned that in the eyes of fans, a good game/season is due to the players and a bad game/season is due to the coaches.

That is a cop out IMO...Again I dont hate Davis and think for the most part he was very solid..but again to many times it LOOKS like agianst teams as talented as Texas he went into a shell while beating up on lesser talented teams....In my mind I cant think of many times Texas went into a game as the lesser team and still won, but more than once it SEEMED like Texas loss to a lesser team

Z-RO
12-02-2010, 02:52 PM

YES, he damn near screwed up VY until they let him do what he does. His job has been saved by two of the best college football QB's of all time.

Be_Advised
12-02-2010, 02:52 PM
http://texas.247sports.com/Article/If-Davis-is-gone-what-is-next-7278

JHS_c/o_06'
12-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Z-RO
YES, he damn near screwed up VY until they let him do what he does. His job has been saved by two of the best college football QB's of all time.

Bingo.

And also - we did win a MASSIVE amount of games under GD. But that's not the point. The point is that on the side of the stadium - it lists the 4 national championships that we have won. With the talent - money - facilities and EVERYTHING else that Texas has. There should be at least 4 more beside it.

JHS_c/o_06'
12-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Even stocks have rallied in light of the news today!

OldNavy
12-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Mike Leach is available and he can run an offense. :D

Third
12-02-2010, 04:01 PM
I have to agree, many times it seems UT has won in spite of GD. His play calling has been extremely frustrating at times. Special teams coach should also be sent walking. Special teams were also a huge reason UT struggled this season.

Phil C
12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Well something needed to be done. When a recruit and his father laugh at the offense on their visit (he later went to A&M as expected) something is wrong and last year before the game with Alabama one of Bama players said he could tell what play UT was going to run before it was run. It was arrogant and the Bama Coach made him retract it of course but the damage was done. His comment was no surprise to Horn fans.

buff4life
12-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
I know that we are not suppose to post links from media outlets. But im pretty sure this isn't a media outlet

http://recruitocosm.fantake.com/2010/12/02/coordinator-level-changes-big-cigar/

As a graduating senior from Texas - this is the best graduation present i could ever ask for.

and as a graduating senior, (which I am too), how many game you go to this year since this is such a great present??

sinton66
12-02-2010, 11:03 PM
I asked this in another thread, but I wonder if daddy Shipley is considering going to Austin with Jaxon?

JHS_c/o_06'
12-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
and as a graduating senior, (which I am too), how many game you go to this year since this is such a great present??

Every home game, including the Rice and OU game.

forum_guy
12-03-2010, 09:29 AM
whether he was there or not this team simply was not good, is it that hard to realize?

themsu97
12-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Z-RO

hahahahahahahaahahaha... you mean where Texas had to say... so sorry VY for trying to make you into a qb... Texas had to dumb the offense down for VY, it was the simplest offense in the history of mankind so VY could succeed...
sort of the same problem that the Titans are having... they are having to simplify the O in Tennessee since VY doesn't get it and he makes it worse by not putting in the work...

NateDawg39
12-03-2010, 10:37 AM
I wonder if Jaxon and Case will share a room. :thinking:

DDBooger
12-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
hahahahahahahaahahaha... you mean where Texas had to say... so sorry VY for trying to make you into a qb... Texas had to dumb the offense down for VY, it was the simplest offense in the history of mankind so VY could succeed...
sort of the same problem that the Titans are having... they are having to simplify the O in Tennessee since VY doesn't get it and he makes it worse by not putting in the work... It netted such poor dividends. Oh wait...

DDBooger
12-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
I wonder if Jaxon and Case will share a room. :thinking: :mad: dammit Nate, the whole world is wondering.

NateDawg39
12-03-2010, 10:41 AM
:mad: dammit Nate, the whole world is wondering. Can you IMAGINE 4 more years of those jokes?!?!:doh:

Even though I used them to the greatest extent :D

Lucky2Coach
12-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
I wonder if Jaxon and Case will share a room. :thinking:

I bet Jaxson can catch two footballs on a speeding boat while playing a song on the guitar about Case!!!

Lucky2Coach
12-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Lucky2Coach
I bet Jaxson can catch two footballs on a speeding boat while playing a song on the guitar about Case!!!

When Musberger sees this he will have a coronary!