PDA

View Full Version : Size Matters!

OldNavy
12-01-2010, 10:51 PM
I put the UIL enrollment figures into a spreadsheet to look at the numbers. While I know that you can only put 11 on he field at any one time, and that a small school could and does beat larger schools, the numbers indicate that the larger schools actually do have better results. Perhaps I am stating the obvious.

The average size of a school in 3A is 680. Wimberly at 681 is the closest to an average school with all others being larger or smaller. Size matters when it comes to making the playoffs. The average size of a school making the playoffs was 715. Schools remaining in the playoffs through round 4 average 738 enrollment indicating more large schools have won than small schools thus far.

The median enrollment, which is the number for which half the schools are larger and half are smaller, is 645. There are 92 schools larger and 92 schools smaller than 645. Of the 92 schools that are larger, 56 made the playoffs, or 60.8% of the upper half schools. Of the lower half or smaller schools, only 40 made the playoffs or 43.7% of those schools made the playoffs. I am not a statistician, but if size did not matter, you would expect 48 of the lower 92 teams to make the playoffs and 48 of the upper half teams.

It could be that larger schools have more talent to put on the filed, and perhaps more depth. It could be that they have more coaches and can afford better salaries and can hire better coaches than the smaller schools. It could be larger schools have better facilities and equipment with which to train or some combination of the above. But statistically, the numbers seem significant.

The largest 3A school, Lindale, has 555 more students than the smallest, Kirbyville. Both made the playoffs by the way, and both are now out. In round four, the largest division 1 school is Alvarado with 974, and the smallest is Chapel Hill with 870, a difference of 104. In division 2 the largest school is Brownwood with 877 and the smallest is Navarro with 461, a difference of 416.

From these numbers it looks like the UIL might be on to something by organizing large and small school districts, then the distribution of small schools making the playoffs to large school making them might be 48 and 48. However, under the current system, the larger schools have a statistical edge.

trojandad
12-01-2010, 11:20 PM
if they just worked on the counts, i'd be happy........

SintonFan
12-01-2010, 11:24 PM
We have had this discussion before. Still good to see it brought up again.

WTH did 2A do this year?:confused:

OldNavy
12-01-2010, 11:29 PM
I thought it would make more sense for the two largest schools in a district to go D1 and the smallest school go D2. Bigger schools with more depth play the extra game instead of the other way round.

The UIL has other problems also. There are only 42 football schools in region 1 and 49 in region 4. 57% of region 1 schools make the playoffs and only 49% of region 4 teams go.

There is a region 1 district where 3 of 4 teams make the playoffs and a region 4 district where 3 of 7 teams make the playoffs. Life and football is not always fair.

SintonFan
12-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by OldNavy
Life and football is not always fair.

Write that in stone...:nerd: :)

OldNavy
12-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
We have had this discussion before. Still good to see it brought up again.

WTH did 2A do this year?:confused:

I had not examined the numbers this closely before. I imagine it is quite a headache to do a new alignment every two years for 1 through 5A and to try and keep politics and feelings out of it. I would hope they have some software to assist by now. Look at Anthony with an enrollment of 221 playing 3A because of travel considerations. They did not make the playoffs by the way.

rholl
12-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I always like looking at the numbers and I cant imagine the headache of shuffling them around every 2 years. 1 thing that can never be counted and qualified is participation of those numbers. Lets face it some schools and some communities place less emphasis on athletic endeavors. So some schools with 600 make get 100 kids to come out for athletics while some may get 250. Just extremely hard to get a solid number. Lets look at the 4 Di. 1 schools and the 104 number, right off the top cut that number in half and get to 52 young men. Then roughly divide by 4 for the 4 classes and that number goes to 13 per class then say you cut that in half for active participation and you could theorize that the largest school has 12-14 more upperclassmen playing football than the smallest school in Div. 1. which sounds a whole lot different than the 104 number.

OldNavy
12-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by rholl
I always like looking at the numbers and I cant imagine the headache of shuffling them around every 2 years. 1 thing that can never be counted and qualified is participation of those numbers. Lets face it some schools and some communities place less emphasis on athletic endeavors. So some schools with 600 make get 100 kids to come out for athletics while some may get 250. Just extremely hard to get a solid number. Lets look at the 4 Di. 1 schools and the 104 number, right off the top cut that number in half and get to 52 young men. Then roughly divide by 4 for the 4 classes and that number goes to 13 per class then say you cut that in half for active participation and you could theorize that the largest school has 12-14 more upperclassmen playing football than the smallest school in Div. 1. which sounds a whole lot different than the 104 number.
I agree with you, but when the delta is 555 as in the largest to the smallest, any way you want to cut it it is a huge difference. A school with 432 enrollment compared to a school with 987.

GrTigers6
12-02-2010, 01:37 PM
If you look at our district alone. There are two teams over 900. 1 team (us) at 518 and the other three under 500. Alvarado is a whole other 3a school bigger than Hillsboro. its the craziest alignment I have ever witnessed.

1. Kennedale (924)
2. Glen Rose (518)
3. Alvarado (974)
4. West (473.5)
5. Hillsboro (440)
6. Venus (497)

BaseballUmp
12-02-2010, 01:43 PM
(to the title)

That's what she said...