PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo Trade Scenario

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Listening to Ole Norm and he brings out the fact some are emailing him about trading Romo..he brought up some great points

Trading Romo means a 100% complete tear down..Getting rid of Witten, Ratliff, Newman, James and others because of their age. Starting over from scratch and then rebulding over the next few years( he targeted 2013 as best case they would be competitive again)

Also doing that he thinks would take the names of gruden, cowher and Fisher( and other coaches of that ilk) out of being the Hc( they would not want to waste years of rebuilding)

He felt Romo is worth at least a 1st and 3rd round pick

So thoughts?( HEY FARMER PLEASE JOIN IN)

DDBooger
12-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Listening to Ole Norm and he brings out the fact some are emailing him about trading Romo..he brought up some great points

Trading Romo means a 100% complete tear down..Getting rid of Witten, Ratliff, Newman, James and others because of their age. Starting over from scratch and then rebulding over the next few years( he targeted 2013 as best case they would be competitive again)

Also doing that he thinks would take the names of gruden, cowher and Fisher( and other coaches of that ilk) out of being the Hc( they would not want to waste years of rebuilding)

He felt Romo is worth at least a 1st and 3rd round pick

So thoughts?( HEY FARMER PLEASE JOIN IN) ...and cheese was put on the trap.

SintonFan
12-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
...and cheese was put on the trap.

...with a little peanut butter on top.

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2010, 11:41 AM
lol actually no..Norm brought up( still talking about now) and I thought it was interesting

Bullaholic
12-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Farmer---you ain't going to get any better engraved invitations than this---it's all good---I really would like to hear your thoughts on this---especially when you and TXB start sparring....:D

Pendragon13
12-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Romo needs to be traded (I like the guy but he isn't the future anymore) and jerry needs to find a way to snag Ryan Mallett in the draft. I don't know about getting rid of the other guys..except maybe for Newman. His days of lasting the full season and going to pro-bowls are over.

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Romo needs to be traded ( like the guy but he isn't the future anymore) and jerry needs to find a way to snag Ryan Mallett in the draft. I don't know about getting rid of the other guys..except maybe for Newman. His days of lasting the full season and going to pro-bowls are over.

Well Romo is 31..in his prime...but again if your trading your QB..WHY keep the others? They are to expensive to be on a team that wont be good..if your making the Big trade, you have to tear it down

Bullaholic
12-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Romo needs to be traded (I like the guy but he isn't the future anymore) and jerry needs to find a way to snag Ryan Mallett in the draft. I don't know about getting rid of the other guys..except maybe for Newman. His days of lasting the full season and going to pro-bowls are over.

Pendragon---You on the phone with Farmer???? :D

crzyjournalist03
12-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I honestly believe Romo would be worth at least two firsts.

If he were headed for free agency, the team would slap the franchise tag on him that would require teams to fork over two firsts for signing him. And I guarantee that there would be a handful of teams who wouldn't even flinch at that cost.

So if he's on the trade market and the Cowboys could choose his destination, wouldn't that cost go up even further?

I think that if the Cowboys sincerely wanted to tear things down, they could get two firsts and a third for him (maybe sending a sixth back to the other team.)

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

If he were headed for free agency, the team would slap the franchise tag on him that would require teams to fork over two firsts for signing him. And I guarantee that there would be a handful of teams who wouldn't even flinch at that cost.

So if he's on the trade market and the Cowboys could choose his destination, wouldn't that cost go up even further?

I think that if the Cowboys sincerely wanted to tear things down, they could get two firsts and a third for him (maybe sending a sixth back to the other team.)

I agree..again Romo is only 31...QB prime is usually 29-34..so you have at least two more years at Prime level..plus he has a few years after of still being a good QB

Like him or not..EVERY season over 90 rating..39-20 as a starter.

Bullaholic
12-01-2010, 12:03 PM
I agree..again Romo is only 31...QB prime is usually 29-34..so you have at least two more years at Prime level..plus he has a few years after of still being a good QB

Like him or not..EVERY season over 90 rating..39-20 as a starter.

Like every good QB in NFL history, Romo will always be under the gun until he wins a SuperBowl. I'm not yet convinced he is a SB QB, but if enough Dallas team problems seem to get solved then all of the spotlight will again be on Romo to take the Cowboys to another level.

themsu97
12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
not a bad idea... but here is the problem... who is going to trade for him with a 1st round pick? it has to be a team that feels that they are a qb away from getting to the Super Bowl and those teams do not have a great first pick...
Buffalo might think that but they are playing well right now...
Minnesota may be but they are not going to give too much up to get Romo...
San Fran? not sure there either... Miami could be logical but what are they going to give either... Tennesee but Adams is in love with VY...
I just do not see Carolina giving you their 1st pick for Romo...
Keeping Kitna around for a year or two while you groom Mallet would be a great idea
I think Dallas could get alot of great picks over the next few years by trading away those players and building around Bryant and either Felix or Tashard...
I do not see Romo getting you two first round picks

Phil C
12-01-2010, 12:12 PM
The Cowboys should have got Colt while he was available in at least the second round. What a wasted opportunity. Of course other teams did the same thing.

91 lion
12-01-2010, 12:15 PM

2 first round draft picks....you guys are nuts!!!

He has value, but the league has a funny way of putting a pricetag on it when it comes to trades. How many times have we seen a pro-bowler traded for a 3rd round pick?.....plenty.

Rarely do teams will have two #1 picks at their disposal....and no one has EVER given up two #1s in the modern collective barganing agreement.

Even a #1 and #3 seem ludacris to me. When was the last time a team given up a #1 and #3 for any player???? I would like to know the team and the player :doh:

crzyjournalist03
12-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
not a bad idea... but here is the problem... who is going to trade for him with a 1st round pick? it has to be a team that feels that they are a qb away from getting to the Super Bowl and those teams do not have a great first pick...
Buffalo might think that but they are playing well right now...
Minnesota may be but they are not going to give too much up to get Romo...
San Fran? not sure there either... Miami could be logical but what are they going to give either... Tennesee but Adams is in love with VY...
I just do not see Carolina giving you their 1st pick for Romo...
Keeping Kitna around for a year or two while you groom Mallet would be a great idea
I think Dallas could get alot of great picks over the next few years by trading away those players and building around Bryant and either Felix or Tashard...
I do not see Romo getting you two first round picks

Arizona would
Oakland wouldn't surprise me
possibly Denver if McDaniels is run off
Seattle next year
Jacksonville (they've never been thrilled with Garrard)

crzyjournalist03
12-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by 91 lion
2 first round draft picks....you guys are nuts!!!

He has value, but the league has a funny way of putting a pricetag on it when it comes to trades. How many times have we seen a pro-bowler traded for a 3rd round pick?.....plenty.

Rarely do teams will have two #1 picks at their disposal....and no one has EVER given up two #1s in the modern collective barganing agreement.

Even a #1 and #3 seem ludacris to me. When was the last time a team given up a #1 and #3 for any player???? I would like to know the team and the player :doh:

Dallas for Roy Williams two years ago comes to mind.

crzyjournalist03
12-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Chicago gave up two firsts, a third, and Kyle Orton for Jay Cutler and a fifth.

91 lion
12-01-2010, 12:23 PM

They gave up a 1st and a 3rd?

crzyjournalist03
12-01-2010, 12:26 PM
They gave up a 1st and a 3rd?

actually, a first, third, and sixth for Roy and a seventh.

91 lion
12-01-2010, 12:28 PM

I knew of the crazy Cutler deal....but had no idea about Roy Williams.

Al Davis Jr. (Jerry Jones) at his best:thinking:

91 lion
12-01-2010, 12:29 PM
actually, a first, third, and sixth for Roy and a seventh.

....and no one seems to think that "Jerra" is the problem here?

Again...Great Owner
Terrible GM/President

crzyjournalist03
12-01-2010, 12:31 PM
The Jets traded a first, two seconds, and three players from their roster for the right to select Mark Sanchez in 2009.

91 lion
12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
The Jets traded a first, two seconds, and three players from their roster for the right to select Mark Sanchez in 2009.

wow:thinking:

I stand corrected...I guess that I'm the one thats nuts:cool:

91 lion
12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
wow:thinking:

I stand corrected...I guess that I'm the one thats nuts:cool:

.....me and Jerra Jones, that is.:D

themsu97
12-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Arizona would
Oakland wouldn't surprise me
possibly Denver if McDaniels is run off
Seattle next year
Jacksonville (they've never been thrilled with Garrard)

Jacksonville is a possibility, did not think about them... the Raiders I don't think would trade a first rounder for Romo... Carroll won't either...
Denver would be interesting...

those are teams that I had not thought about... but are these teams really a qb away? except maybe Jacksonville

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
Jacksonville is a possibility, did not think about them... the Raiders I don't think would trade a first rounder for Romo... Carroll won't either...
Denver would be interesting...

those are teams that I had not thought about... but are these teams really a qb away? except maybe Jacksonville

the question would be..a QB away from what?..Sf, Zona, Seattle all in a weak division could say they are a QB away from the play offs..once in the play offs anything could happen

Same thing for a team like Miami with a HC who was a Co-HC for Romo

Macarthur
12-01-2010, 08:32 PM

So you would take Mallet over Romo? Wow. :eek:

GrTigers6
12-01-2010, 08:33 PM
If we can pick up Kolb then I say go ahead and shop romo around to see what you can get.

GrTigers6
12-01-2010, 08:38 PM
I like romo but he has 2 maybe 3 years left of good production. so we either need to get a qb to set behind him and be able to take over. Now on the other hand that could be McGee but only time will tell.

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
I like romo but he has 2 maybe 3 years left of good production. so we either need to get a qb to set behind him and be able to take over. Now on the other hand that could be McGee but only time will tell.

all depends on injuries,..at 31 he could easily play 4-6 more years of solid production.

Daddy D 11
12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Broadcaster, do you really think they would trade Romo? Odds of it actually happening?

Do you think it was something like: Jerry told Jason Garrett he likes the job he's doing and that he prolly wants him to come back as the HC next year and then Garrett said something along the lines of "get rid of Tony and I'll come bacK"? I'm just throwing things out there hell i dunno?

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Broadcaster, do you really think they would trade Romo? Odds of it actually happening?

Do you think it was something like: Jerry told Jason Garrett he likes the job he's doing and that he prolly wants him to come back as the HC next year and then Garrett said something along the lines of "get rid of Tony and I'll come bacK"? I'm just throwing things out there hell i dunno?

No I dont..the whole point of Norm was..to trade Romo meant basically giving up the next 2-3 years..and that is ONLY if Dallas drafted the right QB.

Daddy D 11
12-02-2010, 01:34 AM
gotcha

Old Dog
12-02-2010, 02:02 AM
With this season in the crapper, why not give McGee a shot for 2 or 3 games. If they saw enough in him to draft him, at least give him the chance. If he does well...........great, if he does not cut it, well at least you have tried in a season that no longer matters ................and move on to bringing in an ace college QB in the next draft.

GrTigers6
12-02-2010, 07:08 AM
all depends on injuries,..at 31 he could easily play 4-6 more years of solid production. Very true, i was just looking at current offensive line.:D

crzyjournalist03
12-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
With this season in the crapper, why not give McGee a shot for 2 or 3 games. If they saw enough in him to draft him, at least give him the chance. If he does well...........great, if he does not cut it, well at least you have tried in a season that no longer matters ................and move on to bringing in an ace college QB in the next draft.

If Wade Philips were still the coach, I think there may have been a possibility. But Jason Garrett is now trying to prove he can earn the job on a full-time basis, and for his future, he's going to want Romo out there in December to give himself the best shot of winning and showing Jerry Jones what he can do at the helm.

Garrett playing McGee at this point provides far more opportunity for Garrett to look like a bad coach than having Romo at QB would. Remember, even the best of coaches are only as good as their QB.

charlesrixey
12-02-2010, 08:58 AM
lol actually no..Norm brought up( still talking about now) and I thought it was interesting

Norm Hitzges is one of the things i miss most about Dallas!

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
Norm Hitzges is one of the things i miss most about Dallas!

You can listen online

Old Dog
12-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Good point crzyjournalist03, reckon there is never a good time to experiment in the bigs......

Macarthur
12-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I am just having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that folks would even entertain the idea of trading a QB that has had a QB rating of over 90 for each year he's been a starter, and 4th all time. Goodness. How quickly we forget the Quincy Carter, Drew Hensen, Ryan Leif and Bledsoe years. :(

crzyjournalist03
12-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I am just having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that folks would even entertain the idea of trading a QB that has had a QB rating of over 90 for each year he's been a starter, and 4th all time. Goodness. How quickly we forget the Quincy Carter, Drew Hensen, Ryan Leif and Bledsoe years. :(

and Vinny Testaverde, Anthony Wright, Clint Stoerner...

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 10:41 AM

Me 2 Mac...I will NEVER understand the hate for Romo because it is all based on such stupid things like how he wears his hat, or how he does not talk enough on sideline LOL

bobcat1
12-02-2010, 10:57 AM
I am just having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that folks would even entertain the idea of trading a QB that has had a QB rating of over 90 for each year he's been a starter, and 4th all time. Goodness. How quickly we forget the Quincy Carter, Drew Hensen, Ryan Leif and Bledsoe years. :( It's not him. If given time he is an awesome QB. The line couldn't block my wife. That is the biggest problem the Cowboys have right now. They all need to lose 20-30 pounds and get more athletic. They can't get younger but they can get in better shape and move their dang feet.

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
It's not him. If given time he is an awesome QB. The line couldn't block my wife. That is the biggest problem the Cowboys have right now. They all need to lose 20-30 pounds and get more athletic. They can't get younger but they can get in better shape and move their dang feet.

and the thing is..Romo has MADE the line look better than it is since 2006

Macarthur
12-02-2010, 11:04 AM
and the thing is..Romo has MADE the line look better than it is since 2006

Yep.

bobcat1
12-02-2010, 11:39 AM
and the thing is..Romo has MADE the line look better than it is since 2006 Exactly. Some of the plays he made were impossible to imagine but he did it. Give him a line that will let him be comfortable and he will be deadly. Tom Brady would get killed behind this line. I admire Kitna for performing as well as he has so far.

GrTigers6
12-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Romo is the best QB the cowboys have had, by far, since Aikman. But it is time to see if you have a quality starter to follow him when he does call it quits. Could be next year could 7 years. no one knows. But that is what they didnt do with Aikman. they knew his time was limited but they kept looking at baseball players to fill the void after the fact. If they would have drafted a QB that could have started as a 3rd string and then work up to starter when aikman went out. Which is there ideas on McGee however we dont know what he is capable of yet. Could be the solution. Only time will tell.
As far as the rest of the year if there is the smallest chance of a playoff then you continue with Kitna but if we lose one more or the wrong team wins one more to eliminate them then you come up with a injury for Kitna to make him the backup and start Mcgee and see if he is the next starter. If not then you start all over.
And may need to look at a free agent.

Macarthur
12-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Romo is the best QB the cowboys have had, by far, since Aikman. But it is time to see if you have a quality starter to follow him when he does call it quits. Could be next year could 7 years. no one knows. But that is what they didnt do with Aikman. they knew his time was limited but they kept looking at baseball players to fill the void after the fact. If they would have drafted a QB that could have started as a 3rd string and then work up to starter when aikman went out. Which is there ideas on McGee however we dont know what he is capable of yet. Could be the solution. Only time will tell.
As far as the rest of the year if there is the smallest chance of a playoff then you continue with Kitna but if we lose one more or the wrong team wins one more to eliminate them then you come up with a injury for Kitna to make him the backup and start Mcgee and see if he is the next starter. If not then you start all over.
And may need to look at a free agent.

I understand, but you can't expect a QB and the team to pay the type of money to keep a 'replacement', and not knowing when he's goign to play.

Does Romo have 3 years left? 4? maybe 8? Given that he didn't start until his late 20's, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could play until he's 37 or 38. You simply can't keep your future replacement on the roster that long. 4 years is a long time in the NFL.

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 12:06 PM
I understand, but you can't expect a QB and the team to pay the type of money to keep a 'replacement', and not knowing when he's goign to play.

Does Romo have 3 years left? 4? maybe 8? Given that he didn't start until his late 20's, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could play until he's 37 or 38. You simply can't keep your future replacement on the roster that long. 4 years is a long time in the NFL.

I have no problem doing what GB did in the 90's and draft QBs and then trade them for picks

GrTigers6
12-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Does Romo have 3 years left? 4? maybe 8? Given that he didn't start until his late 20's, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could play until he's 37 or 38. You simply can't keep your future replacement on the roster that long. 4 years is a long time in the NFL. I agree but we need a quality backup anyway. Kitna is ok for now but he dont have much left. Its a tricky situation. 1. you dont want to be without a qb that can step in and never miss a beat. But 2. you dont want a qb that everyone else wants so you either have to trade him or replace Romo with him before he is ready.

crzyjournalist03
12-02-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't think that this year is going to have a lot of potential for the Cowboys to draft an Aaron Rodgers-type player unless Cam Newton falls to the second round. I think that after the #1 overall pick is Andrew Luck, there's a lot of risk with the rest of the QBs coming out, and this year might not be the best to try to find an eventual successor.

I'd rather see them pursue usable parts at other positions (Rahim Moore anybody?) than try to get a QB who may or may not amount to much four or five years from now. The Cowboys are going to need depth at a lot of places, and at almost all of those, they're going to need their depth before QB.

Not saying that trying to find a young QB isn't smart, but I just don't know how smart it would be in this particular year.

GrTigers6
12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't think that this year is going to have a lot of potential for the Cowboys to draft an Aaron Rodgers-type player unless Cam Newton falls to the second round. I think that after the #1 overall pick is Andrew Luck, there's a lot of risk with the rest of the QBs coming out, and this year might not be the best to try to find an eventual successor.

I'd rather see them pursue usable parts at other positions (Rahim Moore anybody?) than try to get a QB who may or may not amount to much four or five years from now. The Cowboys are going to need depth at a lot of places, and at almost all of those, they're going to need their depth before QB.

Not saying that trying to find a young QB isn't smart, but I just don't know how smart it would be in this particular year. If mcgee can do it then leave that position alone

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2010, 01:21 PM
If mcgee can do it then leave that position alone

Problem is..he has shown nothing..even when Romo was just an undrafted FA the coaches were saying watch out for him he has something..that has NEVER been said of Mcgee

Macarthur
12-02-2010, 01:25 PM
I agree but we need a quality backup anyway. Kitna is ok for now but he dont have much left. Its a tricky situation. 1. you dont want to be without a qb that can step in and never miss a beat. But 2. you dont want a qb that everyone else wants so you either have to trade him or replace Romo with him before he is ready.

Frankly, based on what we've seen from Kitna, I think he's got at least another year left, poss 2. Remember that while Kitna may have some years on him, he hasn't played a ton so his body may not be as old as his age might indicate.

And also, I don't think there's any QB that can come in and 'you don't miss a beat'. There's a reason why starting QBs are in short supply, much less quality backups.

GrTigers6
12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Frankly, based on what we've seen from Kitna, I think he's got at least another year left, poss 2. Remember that while Kitna may have some years on him, he hasn't played a ton so his body may not be as old as his age might indicate.

And also, I don't think there's any QB that can come in and 'you don't miss a beat'. There's a reason why starting QBs are in short supply, much less quality backups. I know there is always a learning curve but some qb's are capable of stepping in and look like they have been there all along. Take Jason Garrett for instance. Wasnt he 6-3 in games he started.
Now on the other hand those types of QB's are hard to find. What concerns me about Kitna is the beating he will take finishing out this year because if there is nothing to play for when Romo is healthy then I think he satys benched. Unless he is 100% healthy then it wouldnt hurt to work on next years gameplan and trying new stuff. I would hate to see Romo sit on the bench when he is capable of playing

GrTigers6
12-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Problem is..he has shown nothing..even when Romo was just an undrafted FA the coaches were saying watch out for him he has something..that has NEVER been said of Mcgee I agree, thats why I want to see him in a game against 1st stringers for four quarters

Macarthur
12-02-2010, 01:55 PM
I know there is always a learning curve but some qb's are capable of stepping in and look like they have been there all along. Take Jason Garrett for instance. Wasnt he 6-3 in games he started.
Now on the other hand those types of QB's are hard to find. What concerns me about Kitna is the beating he will take finishing out this year because if there is nothing to play for when Romo is healthy then I think he satys benched. Unless he is 100% healthy then it wouldnt hurt to work on next years gameplan and trying new stuff. I would hate to see Romo sit on the bench when he is capable of playing

I agree those types of QBs are hard to find. Which brings me back to my original point. If it's so hard to find quality backups, how difficult is it to find a QB like Romo that has a career passer rating north of 93 and he's in the prime of his career. Yet there are folks on here actually advocating that we trade him! :confused:

GrTigers6
12-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I agree those types of QBs are hard to find. Which brings me back to my original point. If it's so hard to find quality backups, how difficult is it to find a QB like Romo that has a career passer rating north of 93 and he's in the prime of his career. Yet there are folks on here actually advocating that we trade him! :confused: I know, and while were at it why dont we just trade demarcus ware, felix jones, and Mcbriar. :D