PDA

View Full Version : UT may still get to a bowl game. :(

Phil C
11-30-2010, 11:41 AM
There are 35 bowls which means 70 teams get bowl games. All teams with at least 6 wins must be invited before a 5 win or less team gets invited. Some research on other boards pointed out there are exactly 70 teams with 6 wins or more which would put UT out BUT and this is a big one USC is not bowl eligible this years and they are in the 70 so that leaves one slot open for a 5 win or worse team. It still doesn't put UT in but if someone could pick them they might because UT is known for their fans supporting and going to bowl games.

As a UT fan I really hope it doesn't happen. I think they have enough problems to solve right than go to some bowl which may be one of the worse ones. We will see.

lostaussie
11-30-2010, 11:44 AM
What the difference between UT and Captain Crunch:thinking:

Captain Crunch is gonna be in a bowl:D

LoboesWT
11-30-2010, 11:48 AM
The fact that it is even a possibility to get into a Bowl Game is crazy at 5 wins. Thus supporting the notion that there are way to many Bowl games.

eagles_victory
11-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Won't happen there are still a lot of games to be played and teams who can become bowl eligible.

Phil C
11-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
The fact that it is even a possibility to get into a Bowl Game is crazy at 5 wins. Thus supporting the notion that there are way to many Bowl games.

I agree completely. But who among the 5 win teams deserves to go since USC is out as was posted on the other board? I remember Notre Dame went to a bowl with just a 6-6 team and they were widely ridiculed along with the bowl.

bowleghorses
11-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Toilet Bowl...:(

Pendragon13
11-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Would this "fan support" extend to traveling to another state to watch a Texas team with a losing record play in a 3rd tier bowl against a medicore team from a non-BCS conference? If I were the AD at UT I would politely decline any offer this year and concentrate on next years team..

Phil C
11-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Won't happen there are still a lot of games to be played and teams who can become bowl eligible.

That is right because there are several teams playing this weekend and if they win they would have 6 games won and be bowl eligible not that the bowls would be excited about them. The best bet is Washington because they play a 2-9 Washington State and should win even though you never can tell in big rivalry games.
So one of those teams left could put UT out thank goodness. We have enough other work to do than get in some silly bowl.

Phil C
11-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by bowleghorses
Toilet Bowl...:(

:(

Phil C
11-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by LoboesWT

Right you are LobesWT. Even a break even 6-6 team shouldn't even be considered in my opinion. But it does make a point that if 70 teams make a bowl Division 1 could still have a top 16 play offsystem like other divisions and still leave 54 teams that could be in a bowl game so the colleges wouldn't lose revenues. If anything fan interest in a real playoff system would draw more revenue and teams outside the 16 playoff teams could still have bowl games.

rojosgirl
11-30-2010, 12:24 PM
No way Texas deserves to be in a bowl game. They just need to "suck it up" and settle in to watch some on the tube. Maybe next year, Mack!

DDBooger
11-30-2010, 12:29 PM
They could benefit from the extra practice. :doh:

Anyone think there will be a QB controversy next year?

Emerson1
11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
I read that Mack would leave it up to the seniors to vote.

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger

all dpends on what happens with coaching staff and how all QBs play in spring

LoboesWT
11-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Right you are LobesWT. Even a break even 6-6 team shouldn't even be considered in my opinion. But it does make a point that if 70 teams make a bowl Division 1 could still have a top 16 play offsystem like other divisions and still leave 54 teams that could be in a bowl game so the colleges wouldn't lose revenues. If anything fan interest in a real playoff system would draw more revenue and teams outside the 16 playoff teams could still have bowl games.

Now your talking or writing whatever it may be. College football has become so diluted that the only way to determine who is the best is with a true playoff system. That way speculation is resolved. Now I disagree that revenues would not be lost. They generate more publicity and that generates money in the big unknown (Who is number one). ESPN, FOX Sports all have shows dedicated the who is number one and why this or that team is really the number one. True fans will be interested, but geographically fans will be isolated and not really care once their team is out of the running. Now Bowl Games I think could offset the money a little cause each bowl would be worth more money each passing week of elimination. Great Reply. Now will it ever come to fruition, only on 3A Downlow I am afraid.

charlesrixey
11-30-2010, 01:38 PM

i agree completely

rojosgirl
11-30-2010, 03:10 PM

No controversy -- McCoy it is! :stirpot:

bulldog25
11-30-2010, 03:16 PM
I think it would be good for UT. It will give the team extra practice to build their relationships with each other which would help them in the long run. The extra practices would allow them to build more chemistry with each other and more practice can only help them for the future. It's not their fault that USC as had all of the problems they have had because of the Reggie Bush controversy and the recruiting. The bowl game would mean nothing but extra time together to build chemistry would help UT alot, and the way Gilbert has been playing they need it.

MUSTANG69
11-30-2010, 03:21 PM

Controversy? Without a doubt.

Phil C
11-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by bulldog25
I think it would be good for UT. It will give the team extra practice to build their relationships with each other which would help them in the long run. The extra practices would allow them to build more chemistry with each other and more practice can only help them for the future. It's not their fault that USC as had all of the problems they have had because of the Reggie Bush controversy and the recruiting. The bowl game would mean nothing but extra time together to build chemistry would help UT alot, and the way Gilbert has been playing they need it.

bulldog25 it was recently brought out on the other board that USC wasn't included in the 70 team list so UT appears to be completely out of the bowl picture this year.

Reds fan
11-30-2010, 04:02 PM
bulldog25 it was recently brought out on the other board that USC wasn't included in the 70 team list so UT appears to be completely out of the bowl picture this year.

Whew! Good news.

I_DONT_CARE
11-30-2010, 08:02 PM
:spitlol: :spitlol: :spitlol: I LOLED OUT LOUD WHEN I SAW THE TITLE.

I_Do_Care
11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
:spitlol: :spitlol: :spitlol: I LOLED OUT LOUD WHEN I SAW THE TITLE. :wave: