PDA

View Full Version : TCU to the Big East

Matthew328
11-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Press conference for today

Bullaholic
11-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Not that crazy about the Big East, but at least the champ gets a guaranteed BCS bowl. I think that will be a big factor in TCU's decision.

sinton66
11-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Press conference for today

Well crud! I was hoping for an invite to the Big 12.

slpybear the bullfan
11-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Its a good move for them... I too am not thrilled about the Big East, but if it gets them in an automatic qualifying conference then it will be good for them.

I would love to see them come to the big 12 or whatever variation becomes of it.

If you lose enough quality teams from the B12 then TCU would be a great replacement.

Of course, I am also a fan of restarting the Southwest Conference....

NastySlot
11-29-2010, 10:10 AM
they will clean up in all sports .....maybe not basketball right away.....but soon.

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2010, 10:15 AM
this is a move to prepare for super conferences..get TCU in a auto bid conference a few years then they will be a nice catch for a super conference

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
this is a move to prepare for super conferences..get TCU in a auto bid conference a few years then they will be a nice catch for a super conference

This is Baylor's karma for having opposed the Horned Frogs when the SWC fell apart. Baylor is stuck in the tired, bitter Big 12-2, as they DESPERATELY DEMANDED to be over the summer when it partially fell apart, while their private school competitor in Fort Worth "leapfrogs" into the future far beyond what the doomed Waco school can ever hope to achieve.

The Big 12-2 is a very unhappy place these days.

hollywood
11-29-2010, 10:26 AM
I just saw this. Press conference at 1 pm. I am glad to see this. Not thrilled about the Big East, but it will give them a chance to get more recognition. As much effort as TCU has poured into the athletic program over the last decade or so, it's paying off. Good to see.

3afan
11-29-2010, 10:37 AM
links?

BaseballUmp
11-29-2010, 10:47 AM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5862368)

Matthew328
11-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
links?

Do you need a link if I post it?

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2010, 10:50 AM

yes ur a rumor machine and nothing else :D :D

BaseballUmp
11-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Maybe he just wants to read more into it???

Bullaholic
11-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Matt is going to be really mad when he finds out you stole his password, Rocket....:D

Matthew328
11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
yes ur a rumor machine and nothing else :D :D

LOL!

3afan
11-29-2010, 12:30 PM
TCU's move to Big East understandable, but strange
Posted at 10:29 AM on Mon., Nov. 29, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim Cowlishaw / Columnist E-mail News tips
Starting in the fall of 2012, the road to the Big East championship in football will go through Fort Worth...where the West begins?

We are used to strange geographical alignments in college sports by now. Teams don't really have to be along the Atlantic Coast to play in the ACC. Colorado and Utah don't exactly hug the Pacific Ocean but they will participate in the Pac-12 next year.

(Why didn't they call it the 12-Pac? Has such a perfect sound to it for college kids...)

But TCU in the Big East is going to feel odd for awhile. We know the Frogs have been flirting with other conferences. Heck, they leave leagues at the rate of once every four years.

I mean, haven't the Frogs played in the SWC and the WAC and Conference USA and the Mountain West in the last 15 years?

But usually when a school makes a major change like the one TCU is announcing today, it can at least try to sell the idea that it's good for all the sports at the school.

This one seems strictly designed for men's football.

We know that TCU is no powerhouse in men's basketball. It's going to play in the Big East with UConn and Louisville and Syracuse and Pitt and the rest of those big boys? Good luck.

As for women's sports and the smaller men's sports, the travel through the Big East would seem to be prohibitive although there was obviously some very difficult travel in the Mountain West as well.

But I think without question this is being done strictly for the opportunity to pursue an automatic BCS bid...which hasn't really been a problem for TCU lately, anyway. The Frogs are going to the Rose Bowl this year. Outside of playing in the BCS national championship game, the stage doesn't get any bigger than the Rose Bowl.

I realize that Frogs fans believe their team is just as deserving of that national championship game as Oregon or Auburn. I get that. But this move doesn't get rid of the possibility of being left out of the title game in the future.

If everything was the same with Oregon and Auburn this season and TCU was just finishing an unbeaten run against the likes of Rutgers and Cincinnati and their new Big East foes, wouldn't the Frogs still be, in all likelihood, No. 3 behind the Ducks and Tigers?

I would think so.

However, what this move does is offer TCU a little protection. They can lose games and still get to BCS bowls and get those big paychecks. UConn lost four games this season and is BCS-bound.

The Frogs saw what just happened to Boise State. You play in a smaller conference without the automatic bid and you lose -- even to a good ranked team like Nevada -- and you can fall off the table in the rankings.

TCU can lose one, maybe two games a year in the Big East and still find itself playing in what we used to call New Year's Day bowls.

Certainly it's going to create new attention for TCU but I'm not sure it's exactly what the school administrators think it will be. The idea of "now everyone in the east will see us" -- well, not really. Big East football isn't generating much attention anywhere these days.

Cincinnati got the automatic bid a year ago (only to get smoked by Florida in the bowl) and UConn is getting it this year. Frankly, it's not much of a football conference but it does have the BCS automatic bid at least through 2014.

Since TCU struggled to gain much attention playing lesser foes from out west, it makes sense to try some new rivals from the east. It will be different. It will be fun.

It's not very geographically correct, but then Louisville, Kentucky isn't exactly in the heart of the east coast, either.

link (http://timcowlishawblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/11/tcus-move-to-big-east-understandablebut.html)

Keith7
11-29-2010, 03:05 PM
So who takes TCU's spot in the MWC?

eagles_victory
11-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
they will clean up in all sports .....maybe not basketball right away.....but soon. When is the last time they were good in basketball in the MWC... No way they become relevant in the Big East. I realize it will help recruiting but not that much.

Phil C
11-29-2010, 03:17 PM
"TCU is going to an easier conference than the Big 12 because they don't want to risk playing Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, OKlahoma State or Texas Tech every year" said the Sinton GodFather while on his way to the snack bar for an afternoon cup of coffee.

Bullaholic
11-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
"TCU is going to an easier conference than the Big 12 because they don't want to risk playing Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, OKlahoma State or Texas Tech every year" said the Sinton GodFather while on his way to the snack bar for an afternoon cup of coffee.

But Godfather, TCU is ranked No. 3, undefeated, and maybe the only Texas school in a major BCS bowl---surely all those big schools are proud of their little Texas private-school brother?

Keith7
11-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

I think Texas and OU would try to keep TCU out of the Big "12" for fear that the Frogs might cut into their DFW market.

Phil C
11-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
But Godfather, TCU is ranked No. 3, undefeated, and maybe the only Texas school in a major BCS bowl---surely all those big schools are proud of their little Texas private-school brother?

Indeed. TCU had great success in the SWC and won the NC in 1938 plus they beat Texas in 1959, 1963 and 1967 just to name a few.

slpybear the bullfan
11-29-2010, 03:36 PM

in regards to NCAAFB

$$$$$$ > Blood

Bullaholic
11-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
in regards to NCAAFB

$$$$$$ > Blood

Show me the money > small private U. with small alumni/fan following.

I don't think there are any Big 12 schools who would line up to play TCU in a bowl right now, slpy. :D

eagles_victory
11-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Show me the money > small private U. with small alumni/fan following.

I don't think there are any Big 12 schools who would line up to play TCU in a bowl right now, slpy. :D I bet Texas would :D

Bullaholic
11-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I bet Texas would :D

Well, BCS bowl, anyhow e_v...:D

Daddy D 11
11-29-2010, 04:49 PM
I think it will hurt their recruiting. It won't kill it, but this move doesn't help it I don't think. Kids in Texas don't want to play in that cold weather and definitely do not care about playing teams like Rutgers, Louisville, Connecticut, and Syracuse.

hollywood
11-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I think it will hurt their recruiting. It won't kill it, but this move doesn't help it I don't think. Kids in Texas don't want to play in that cold weather and definitely do not care about playing teams like Rutgers, Louisville, Connecticut, and Syracuse.

I think it will help their recruiting and I think they would like playing more well known teams. More so than Utah, New Mehico, San Diego St.... give me a break.

sahen
11-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
This is Baylor's karma for having opposed the Horned Frogs when the SWC fell apart. Baylor is stuck in the tired, bitter Big 12-2, as they DESPERATELY DEMANDED to be over the summer when it partially fell apart, while their private school competitor in Fort Worth "leapfrogs" into the future far beyond what the doomed Waco school can ever hope to achieve.

The Big 12-2 is a very unhappy place these days.

lol....bitter much?

TCU is doing what is best for them right now and if they can mantain their football level they will win the Big East more times than not...while right now TCU may get the bigger boost from this move if Baylor could get their act together in football they would be much better off in the Big 12 than the Big East.....only the future will tell us if this is a good move or not for TCU, for their sake i hope it works out well for them...

on a side note...17 basketball teams in one conference??? yikes! that is a nightmare for the scheduler...

Matthew328
11-29-2010, 05:27 PM
It's all about the money, its a great financial move.

Recruiting will be helped because of this, schools won't be able to use the "they don't play in an AQ conference"

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by sahen
lol....bitter much?

TCU is doing what is best for them right now and if they can mantain their football level they will win the Big East more times than not...while right now TCU may get the bigger boost from this move if Baylor could get their act together in football they would be much better off in the Big 12 than the Big East.....only the future will tell us if this is a good move or not for TCU, for their sake i hope it works out well for them...

Baylor by its open desperation which was on display for nearly a month during the summer showed it has nowhere to go but down. NO ONE wants Baylor. TCU even blocked its interest in Mountain West membership when it looked like the Big 12 was imploding. The wacky Waco school is the proverbial red-headed stepchild at this point in its checkered history.

My main point is that the Big 12-2 should have been allowed to die a natural death. I want to grant those resurgent Aggies their fervent desire to SECede as well. That way, they'd be spending most of their time on the road in the Deep South where they are culturally most comfortable anyhow.

I don't know to this day how TCU did it, but I salute the Horned Frogs' status as one of the premier programs in college football. I have many happy childhood memories of being at my grandparents' house which was about three blocks from the TCU campus.

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Do you Baylor partisans recognize yourselves in the second sentence below? You should.

For TCU this is a great day and one that came about through old-fashioned hard work, investment and commitment to success. There are no handouts here, no invitations for political reasons. They earned this.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AjjkW4.1XD.X8Bt_6ccW5Kc5nYcB?slug=dw-tcubigeast112910

Daddy D 11
11-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Baylors athletic department>TCU's athletic department

sahen
11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Baylor by its open desperation which was on display for nearly a month during the summer showed it has nowhere to go but down. NO ONE wants Baylor. TCU even blocked its interest in Mountain West membership when it looked like the Big 12 was imploding. The wacky Waco school is the proverbial red-headed stepchild at this point in its checkered history.

My main point is that the Big 12-2 should have been allowed to die a natural death. I want to grant those resurgent Aggies their fervent desire to SECede as well. That way, they'd be spending most of their time on the road in the Deep South where they are culturally most comfortable anyhow.

I don't know to this day how TCU did it, but I salute the Horned Frogs' status as one of the premier programs in college football. I have many happy childhood memories of being at my grandparents' house which was about three blocks from the TCU campus.

man you have some kind of problem with Baylor for some reason, every time you comment on Baylor it is ALWAYS negative...Baylor did what was best for Baylor this summer just as TCU did what was best for TCU today....TCU potentially blocking Baylor to the MWC was because TCU, like you, is still bitter of the forming of the Big 12....hopefully them getting invited to the Big East can help them get over it, they have worked hard and finally deserve to go to a major conference (in football), back in 1994 they didn't deserve it and they got what they deserved...

Aesculus gilmus
11-30-2010, 07:01 AM
The point is Baylor DOESN'T DESERVE to be where it is and is only there because of the political machinations of the late Texas pols and Baylor alums Ann Richards and Bob Bullock.

The other point, which is my main one, is that the Big 12-2 should have been left to die and not resuscitated at the last minute by Bill Powers of Texas. The A&M SECede crowd agrees with me on this and it is about 90 percent of the fan base.

charlesrixey
11-30-2010, 08:55 AM
why is TCU not going to the big 12?

NastySlot
11-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
When is the last time they were good in basketball in the MWC... No way they become relevant in the Big East. I realize it will help recruiting but not that much.

you don't think they will get some of the better talent now for being in one of the two top basketball conferences..........chances to play anyone in the big east in basketball is a lot better than playing anyone in the mwc.

I just think it 's only a matter of time some of the states better talent starts to show at tcu for hoops...........not to mention the effect of east coast talent migrating to texas to play.

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
why is TCU not going to the big 12?

why would Big 12 want TCU?...TCU would bring no new market to the conference.

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2010, 09:09 AM
The point is Baylor DOESN'T DESERVE to be where it is and is only there because of the political machinations of the late Texas pols and Baylor alums Ann Richards and Bob Bullock.

The other point, which is my main one, is that the Big 12-2 should have been left to die and not resuscitated at the last minute by Bill Powers of Texas. The A&M SECede crowd agrees with me on this and it is about 90 percent of the fan base.

TCU would not have deserved to be in the Big 12 when it was formed either..so what is the poiint? If TCU would have went Big 12, I think it is safe to say they would be in about the same position Baylor is now..a small private school trying to play with richer State schools

Phil C
11-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
I think Texas and OU would try to keep TCU out of the Big "12" for fear that the Frogs might cut into their DFW market.

:D :clap:

Phil C
11-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Do you Baylor partisans recognize yourselves in the second sentence below? You should.

For TCU this is a great day and one that came about through old-fashioned hard work, investment and commitment to success. There are no handouts here, no invitations for political reasons. They earned this.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AjjkW4.1XD.X8Bt_6ccW5Kc5nYcB?slug=dw-tcubigeast112910

Aesculus I admire the Baptist Church.

Phil C
11-30-2010, 09:29 AM
TCU would not have deserved to be in the Big 12 when it was formed either..so what is the poiint? If TCU would have went Big 12, I think it is safe to say they would be in about the same position Baylor is now..a small private school trying to play with richer State schools

Tx I admire the Christian Church.

sahen
11-30-2010, 11:36 AM

Baylor had the 3rd best football program in the SWC conference when it broke up...going off what they knew in 1994 Tech actually had a worse argument for being included in the Big 12 than Baylor did, but dont let facts get in the way of your blindness here...it was a different world in 1994 than now, in the first years of the conference there was predictions that Baylor would actually win the South...an adminstration that did nothing for athletics and some really bad football coaching hires later and here we are...even with all that the only thing at Baylor that doesn't belong in the Big 12 is the football team and they are getting there now, the rest of Baylor athletics competes for conference and national titles with regularity...and now that we get to play the weaker north schools that have been hiding in that division every year i think Baylor is going to start going back to bowls with regularity...

if the SEC truely wants the Aggies then it will happen, but for now it isn't meant to be....maybe one day in the future but its gonna depend on teh tv deal that the Big 12 works out in a couple years, if it is as good as it is claimed to be then the Big 12 will stay around cause of the $$$$....if it isn't that good then we will see teams look elsewhere again...

defense51
11-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Go Frogs!!!

sahen
11-30-2010, 04:02 PM
any truths to the rumors that the Big East may be lookign for a partner for TCU and take Houston with them? I know they are supposedly looking at several schools and it may be a moot point if villanova becomes FBS in football but it'd be cool if Houston could join as well...

Big East could possibly be setting themselves to have a break in their conference in the near future between schools that play football and ones that are basketball only...seems hard to keep that many schools together esp in the non-revenue sports...

Bullaholic
11-30-2010, 04:32 PM
I think the Frogs will clean house in football, and maybe baseball, but I don't want to watch during basketball season---the Big East is one tough roundball neighborhood.