PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2010, 09:28 AM
I think even with the loss Garrett moves one step closer to being the HC for next year...they went toe to toe with Saints and could have quit being down 17-0, great job fighting back and leading in the 4th Q

Bullaholic
11-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think even with the loss Garrett moves one step closer to being the HC for next year...they went toe to toe with Saints and could have quit being down 17-0, great job fighting back and leading in the 4th Q

I agree, TxB, Without the Williams strip or the missed FG, the Cowboys could have had a shot at winning that game. They are definitely showing signs of being on the right track, and I really think things will stay that way under Garrett. Only time will tell.

Macarthur
11-29-2010, 02:02 PM
No question they are playing better. Averaging 4 penalties per game instead of 8 or 10. They are positive in the turnover margin since he took over.

If they had those 2 trends over the course of a 16 game season, they would probably win the division, at the very least.

I, as well as many others, have said time and time again that a team will take on the personality of it's leader. Wade was soft; he constantly made excuses; never showed energy or enthusiasm; and held no one accountable. At the very least, all of these items have changed.

I think X's and O's (i.e. scheme) is overrated in the NFL. The teams that are always at the top of the league are teams that are consistent in their focus and effort. That's the #1 job of an NFL coach.

Farmersfan
11-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
No question they are playing better. Averaging 4 penalties per game instead of 8 or 10. They are positive in the turnover margin since he took over.

If they had those 2 trends over the course of a 16 game season, they would probably win the division, at the very least.

I, as well as many others, have said time and time again that a team will take on the personality of it's leader. Wade was soft; he constantly made excuses; never showed energy or enthusiasm; and held no one accountable. At the very least, all of these items have changed.

I think X's and O's (i.e. scheme) is overrated in the NFL. The teams that are always at the top of the league are teams that are consistent in their focus and effort. That's the #1 job of an NFL coach.

+1

MesquiteFan
11-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Marion Barber out next two weeks...might finally see some Tashard Choice

Farmersfan
11-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I worry about the defense though TX. Who do you bring in as a D-cordinator to get this defense back up to where it was last season?

GrTigers6
11-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I worry about the defense though TX. Who do you bring in as a D-cordinator to get this defense back up to where it was last season? I think the current DC is ok thus far. We will know more when the season is over. I think making some personel changes on the defense may make a bigger difference. for example, secondary, and get some depth in the defense where we are short handed.
If they continue to struggle the rest of the year then I would say go and find a DC.

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2010, 05:37 PM
I worry about the defense though TX. Who do you bring in as a D-cordinator to get this defense back up to where it was last season?

I like Paul P. to an extent..though I would love to have a 3-4 DC that likes to mix up the blitzes more.

They have decisions to make at CB...is this just a bad year for Jenkins or a trend...Of course we all know they need help at SS and FS

Pendragon13
11-29-2010, 05:51 PM

I think X's and O's (i.e. scheme) is overrated in the NFL. The teams that are always at the top of the league are teams that are consistent in their focus and effort. That's the #1 job of an NFL coach. X's and O's may be a little overrated at that level, but you would be surprised by how many college athletes got by on raw talent without ever mastering the X's and O's...and were never really taught high level tackling and blocking skills you need in the NFL. The head coach may be more of a figurehead, but good assistants who haven't forgotten the fundamentals are key to a teams success as much as anything.

Eagle 1
11-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Rumor is Gruden may be going to Miami.

MesquiteFan
11-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Rumor is Gruden may be going to Miami.

I highly doubt it. Most of those rumors have already been dispelled.

GrTigers6
11-30-2010, 08:35 AM

I think X's and O's (i.e. scheme) is overrated in the NFL. The teams that are always at the top of the league are teams that are consistent in their focus and effort. That's the #1 job of an NFL coach. I agree. Every team in the NFL has he talent to win a superbowl. It just depends on who is streaking at the right time, who is playing together as a team, and who doesnt allow the mistakes to take away there progress.
Focused, team play, and mistake free ball will carry any team to a championship

jason
11-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
I agree. Every team in the NFL has he talent to win a superbowl.

that is not true - anybody who watched arizona play last night knows they couldn't beat some ncaa d1 teams - they are TERRIBLE....

Farmersfan
11-30-2010, 09:23 AM
I agree. Every team in the NFL has he talent to win a superbowl. It just depends on who is streaking at the right time, who is playing together as a team, and who doesnt allow the mistakes to take away there progress.
Focused, team play, and mistake free ball will carry any team to a championship

Although I do think every team has the talent to play at a very high level I don't think many teams have enough talent to win it all! And out of those few that do have enough talent many can't seem to get it together mentally and stay focused for a 16+ game season! That is why the coach and the team leaders are so important. I personally believe the QB is the most important leader on the field simply based on his position. Athletes at that level have been pampered and cuddled their entire lives and just a little success often leads to a level of arrogance and self promotion that greatly affects the results on the field in my opinion. This Dallas team is full of players that in my mind aren't taking responsibility for their play! (or at least haven't in the past). The years of having Wade making excuses for the mistakes and the constant media insistence that they are great has created a group of premadonnas and it will take a major culture shock to bring these guys back to reality! As soon as they have a little success again they will revert back to their same ole arrogant and undisciplined selves unless something in the EXPECTATIONS change! Just my opinion!

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2010, 09:26 AM
! As soon as they have a little success again they will revert back to their same ole arrogant and undisciplined selves unless something in the EXPECTATIONS change! Just my opinion!

I think it already has begun to change with the comments after the Saints loss..instead of excuses you had players saying blame me for the loss

GrTigers6
11-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Although I do think every team has the talent to play at a very high level I don't think many teams have enough talent to win it all! And out of those few that do have enough talent many can't seem to get it together mentally and stay focused for a 16+ game season! That is why the coach and the team leaders are so important. I personally believe the QB is the most important leader on the field simply based on his position. Athletes at that level have been pampered and cuddled their entire lives and just a little success often leads to a level of arrogance and self promotion that greatly affects the results on the field in my opinion. This Dallas team is full of players that in my mind aren't taking responsibility for their play! (or at least haven't in the past). The years of having Wade making excuses for the mistakes and the constant media insistence that they are great has created a group of premadonnas and it will take a major culture shock to bring these guys back to reality! As soon as they have a little success again they will revert back to their same ole arrogant and undisciplined selves unless something in the EXPECTATIONS change! Just my opinion! look at the 2000 superbowl , i believe, Ravens -Giants
Those were two teams that had no business there but did what they had to to get there. Chemistry plays the biggest part of making to the big show. You just something or someone to bring it all together.
Look at the rangers. For years thay have had the talent to go to the world series but never really had that drive or confidence that they could actually achieve it. Yes definetly Lee helped with that but they could have made it with out him in my opinion but it helped tremendously to have him.
Also look at the Miami Heat. Talent doesnt win championships. team work, disipline, and confidence gets it done.
Yes some teams are better than others in the nfl but there isnt that much difference in the talent level. its just all in the attitude and work ethic, and of course management.

Farmersfan
11-30-2010, 12:04 PM
look at the 2000 superbowl , i believe, Ravens -Giants
Those were two teams that had no business there but did what they had to to get there. Chemistry plays the biggest part of making to the big show. You just something or someone to bring it all together.
Look at the rangers. For years thay have had the talent to go to the world series but never really had that drive or confidence that they could actually achieve it. Yes definetly Lee helped with that but they could have made it with out him in my opinion but it helped tremendously to have him.
Also look at the Miami Heat. Talent doesnt win championships. team work, disipline, and confidence gets it done.
Yes some teams are better than others in the nfl but there isnt that much difference in the talent level. its just all in the attitude and work ethic, and of course management.

Both the Ravens and Giants were 12-4 that season and had top 10 offenses and defenses! Very talented teams that were projected to have great success at the beginning of the season.

And as great as the Ranger's season ended up, they were in the playoffs for one reason and one reason only: The decline of the Angels and A's! The Rangers actually only had 3 more wins in 2010 than they had in 2009 when they didn't even make the post season.................... And Cliff Lee was the ONLY reason they made it past Tampa Bay in the first round. His pitching was infectious to the other players.

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Both the Ravens and Giants were 12-4 that season and had top 10 offenses and defenses! Very talented teams that were projected to have great success at the beginning of the season.

Not sure where u get the Giants were supposed to be good in 2000..they were 8-8 1998 and 7-9 in 1999 and in fact went back to 7-9 in 2001

The Ravens had been 6-10 in 98 and 8-8 in 99..and while they were considered on the upswing not many thought they would jump up to 12-4 in such a short span

In fact many thought 2000 would be Dallas's last chance at a SB with the Galloway trade

Neither had top ten offenses..Ravens were 14th Giants were 15th

yes the Ravens had a dominating D..and the giants a top 10 D, the giants pass D was pretty average to below average finishing 16th

GrTigers6
11-30-2010, 12:20 PM

And as great as the Ranger's season ended up, they were in the playoffs for one reason and one reason only: The decline of the Angels and A's! The Rangers actually only had 3 more wins in 2010 than they had in 2009 when they didn't even make the post season.................... And Cliff Lee was the ONLY reason they made it past Tampa Bay in the first round. His pitching was infectious to the other players. Yes they had good records but there offensenses were not great. they both i think barely averaged 20 points a game. the defenses were great which is what got them there. i mean did you watch that game, it was awful.
the only reason the giants were 12-4 is the rest of the divsion sucked. and the nfc for that matter.
As for the rangers, If the a's or angels were pushing them at the end it may have made for a different outcome, because washington was resting lots of starters all thru august and sept. so you never know what their record would have been if they were in a race at the end.
I am not arguing with your opinion, just saying that it helps to have the right attitude, coaching, and right mixture of players that play together

Macarthur
11-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by jason
that is not true - anybody who watched arizona play last night knows they couldn't beat some ncaa d1 teams - they are TERRIBLE....

Let me add to what tiger was trying to say.

I do agree that there is not a ton of difference in the rosters of the top 3 or 4 teams and the bottom 3 or 4 teams.

However, the difference lies in the QB position. Arizona is a perfect example. They won a playoff game last year and the only real difference is they lost Warner. Now, they can't get out of their own way.