PDA

View Full Version : UNT may have found new coach

Keith7
11-28-2010, 12:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5856208&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

Former Iowa State head coach and current Florida assistant head coach Dan McCarney is likely to be the next coach for your University of North Texas.

Rabid Cougar
11-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Unsure about how I feel about this. The players are totally behind Canales and really want him. They tried to meet with the AD and he refused or was unavailible to meet with them.

kaorder1999
11-28-2010, 01:28 AM
how often does a D1 school hire from within when they havent won?

Rabid Cougar
11-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Probably never. I already know the players are not happy about this at all.

kaorder1999
11-28-2010, 03:09 PM
crappy situation...in most cases, players are NOT happy with hire when it comes to hires in college.

BLACK ATTACK
11-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Do you UNT insiders think that the money they paid the guy to go find a coach has anything to do with them ignoring the admiral job that Canales has done?

Keith7
11-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by BLACK ATTACK
Do you UNT insiders think that the money they paid the guy to go find a coach has anything to do with them ignoring the admiral job that Canales has done?

For sure.. They hired that guy to go and find a person who fit what UNT was looking for and he came back with a list that likely didn't include Canales.

I hate the idea of hiring an outsider to make decisions for you but who knows, maybe this will work out.

BLACK ATTACK
11-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
For sure.. They hired that guy to go and find a person who fit what UNT was looking for and he came back with a list that likely didn't include Canales.

I hate the idea of hiring an outsider to make decisions for you but who knows, maybe this will work out.

Apparently this guy is well known for being able to find "the right coach" for various programs. Do you have any idea what his track record is for placing coaches Vs. the amount of success that they have had?

Keith7
11-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Apparently this guy is well known for being able to find "the right coach" for various programs. Do you have any idea what his track record is for placing coaches Vs. the amount of success that they have had?

According to a USA Today article done in 2006, he had a hand in all of the following hirings:

Randy Shannon at Miami (Fla.), Butch Davis at North Carolina, Tom O'Brien at North Carolina State and Mark Dantonio at Michigan State, Mack Brown at Texas; Bob Stoops at Oklahoma; Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame, then Washington; Les Miles at Oklahoma State, then LSU; Mark Richt at Georgia, and Dennis Franchione at Texas A&M.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-12-12-focus-neinas_x.htm

He also did a "in depth" report on the state of the UNT Athletic department earlier this year. He seems to have a pretty sweet gig. He just has a list of available coaches and athletic programs contact him when they want to hire someone and he'll do the rest.

BLACK ATTACK
11-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
According to a USA Today article done in 2006, he had a hand in all of the following hirings:

Randy Shannon at Miami (Fla.), Butch Davis at North Carolina, Tom O'Brien at North Carolina State and Mark Dantonio at Michigan State, Mack Brown at Texas; Bob Stoops at Oklahoma; Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame, then Washington; Les Miles at Oklahoma State, then LSU; Mark Richt at Georgia, and Dennis Franchione at Texas A&M.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-12-12-focus-neinas_x.htm

He also did a "in depth" report on the state of the UNT Athletic department earlier this year. He seems to have a pretty sweet gig. He just has a list of available coaches and athletic programs contact him when they want to hire someone and he'll do the rest.

You're right, he does have a cool gig, and gets paid a bunch of money for it. Well, I hope it works out. I played my first year of college ball there before transferring, and now live pretty close. So, I would sure like to see them respectable again. Especially in the new stadium.

gatordaze
11-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Probably never. I already know the players are not happy about this at all.

Really? My sons are Facebook friends with more than 1 player that are real excited.

My son Jake spent at least 3 summers at Gator camp with Coach McCarney as his direct coach. He really likes him. He is a tough and hard nosed dude and does not put up with any crap.

My only direct contact came a few years ago at camp. Florida holds a pads camp for O and D lineman and Jake was there as a D-lineman. They separated the kids based upon size and were doing one on one drills down a 2X12 plank. After a few rounds he started ripping Jake's butt. I was a little shocked to see this college coach giving a incoming 8th grader hell, but shrugged it off as a "now or later" moment.

After practice, I saw him getting a Gatorade and walked over and introduced myself as Jake's dad. He told me he just can't figure Jake out. He commented on his size and motor and then just as a matter of fact told me he just does not seem to get it done in the one on one drills. I thanked him for the feedback and told him that I am sure that next season in 8th grade he would benefit greatly from this experience. He looked at me like I had 2 heads and proceeded to yell at me! He wanted to know why a kid that just finished 7th grade was going against the Varsity kids. I told him that I had wondered the same thing and that Jake just did what he was told and went where you told him to go. (At the time Jake was 6'2 190 and in pads he was about the same size as l most of the D-lineman at the camp and I guess he really was not paying too close of attention.)

He then apologized to me for yelling at Jake and said that he is doing fine for a 7th grader just not that great as a Junior in HS which is what he thought he was. I asked Jake after the next practice if Coach McCarney had talked to him further and he said that he had pulled him aside and apologized and encouraged him to keep getting in the older kids lines and that he would be great someday.

This told me a lot about Coach McCarney, I liked that he did not pull any punches or alter his level of expectations based upon who he was working with and then when he realized that he was too harsh for the situation made a point of seeking out the kid and taking responsibility for his mistake. Any player that does not want a change in this direction is more concerned with whether they can cut it under the new guy than whether he is the right guy.

We were on our way back from OSU/OU when Jake came across this thread and said that with Coach McCarney, UNT is a lot more interesting. I have not ever heard him say that before. If he can turn some kids heads that would not ever typically considered UNT, then they have a chance. With the new stadium and Metroplex location they should be a better draw than they have been historically. I think he could turn the corner.

BLACK ATTACK
11-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Really? My sons are Facebook friends with more than 1 player that are real excited.

My son Jake spent at least 3 summers at Gator camp with Coach McCarney as his direct coach. He really likes him. He is a tough and hard nosed dude and does not put up with any crap.

My only direct contact came a few years ago at camp. Florida holds a pads camp for O and D lineman and Jake was there as a D-lineman. They separated the kids based upon size and were doing one on one drills down a 2X12 plank. After a few rounds he started ripping Jake's butt. I was a little shocked to see this college coach giving a incoming 8th grader hell, but shrugged it off as a "now or later" moment.

After practice, I saw him getting a Gatorade and walked over and introduced myself as Jake's dad. He told me he just can't figure Jake out. He commented on his size and motor and then just as a matter of fact told me he just does not seem to get it done in the one on one drills. I thanked him for the feedback and told him that I am sure that next season in 8th grade he would benefit greatly from this experience. He looked at me like I had 2 heads and proceeded to yell at me! He wanted to know why a kid that just finished 7th grade was going against the Varsity kids. I told him that I had wondered the same thing and that Jake just did what he was told and went where you told him to go. (At the time Jake was 6'2 190 and in pads he was about the same size as l most of the D-lineman at the camp and I guess he really was not paying too close of attention.)

He then apologized to me for yelling at Jake and said that he is doing fine for a 7th grader just not that great as a Junior in HS which is what he thought he was. I asked Jake after the next practice if Coach McCarney had talked to him further and he said that he had pulled him aside and apologized and encouraged him to keep getting in the older kids lines and that he would be great someday.

This told me a lot about Coach McCarney, I liked that he did not pull any punches or alter his level of expectations based upon who he was working with and then when he realized that he was too harsh for the situation made a point of seeking out the kid and taking responsibility for his mistake. Any player that does not want a change in this direction is more concerned with whether they can cut it under the new guy than whether he is the right guy.

We were on our way back from OSU/OU when Jake came across this thread and said that with Coach McCarney, UNT is a lot more interesting. I have not ever heard him say that before. If he can turn some kids heads that would not ever typically considered UNT, then they have a chance. With the new stadium and Metroplex location they should be a better draw than they have been historically. I think he could turn the corner.

Nice story. How old is your son now?

gatordaze
11-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Nice story. How old is your son now?

Sophomore. Plays nose tackle for Celina #55

BLACK ATTACK
11-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Sophomore. Plays nose tackle for Celina #55

Awesome. I'll look for him.

3afan