View Full Version : Carthage vs. Argyle ... Region 2 Final

oldtownag
11-27-2010, 07:12 PM
7:30 Friday, Tyler Rose Stadium, Carthage is home team

Aesculus gilmus
11-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag
7:30 Friday, Tyler Rose Stadium, Carthage is home team

I love it that Argyle lost the coin toss. It reminds me of when Marshall won a coin toss against Highland Park about five years ago and made them come to Rose Stadium. The HP people were so upset I thought they'd never get over it. It wound up being televised back to Dallas and we were even able to watch it out here because some local channel aired the same feed.

Rocket
11-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Carthage rolls...Argyle is all hype.

Tin Cup
11-27-2010, 08:23 PM
I think both teams are extremely good.

Carthage 29
Argyle 28

Aesculus gilmus
11-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Of course, Carthage fans had better hope any similarities to that 2005 4A title game at Rose Stadium end with the fact you won the coin toss and forced a Metroplex team to play in Tyler.

In 2005, Allen guided the Scots to a 59-0 rout over Marshall, the largest margin-of-victory ever in a UIL 11-man state championship football game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Park_High_School_%28University_Park,_Texa s%29#Athletics

http://www.dallasmetropolis.com/forum/printthread.php?t=4893

Rocket
11-27-2010, 08:24 PM
I heard the Argyle coach made the statement that "Brownwood is all hype" and that he "isn't worried" about us. Dude is a crazy man.

Tin Cup
11-27-2010, 08:29 PM
I'd bet he's not worried about Brownwood because he's pooping himself over Carthage lol

#1 TEXAN
11-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Gonna be a great game, team with less turnovers wins

Lions88
11-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Carthage 28
Argyle 10

Closest of the East Texas games this week.

rb585
11-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
I heard the Argyle coach made the statement that "Brownwood is all hype" and that he "isn't worried" about us. Dude is a crazy man.

I'll bet $$ he never said that.

Go ahead, find a link to the quote.

BLACK ATTACK
11-27-2010, 10:10 PM

Just like Brownwood. Seen it for myself

Bullbatt
11-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Surely Argyle's coach did not say that. He better be worried about who is next in line.

LH Panther Mom
11-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Bullbatt
Surely Argyle's coach did not say that. He better be worried about who is next in line.
It came out of Rocket's fingers. What do you think? :rolleyes: :doh:

Bosqueville
11-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Well I was rooting for Argyle until Black Attack began to get all cocky and full of himself. I'm now torn!

LH Panther Mom
11-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Bosqueville
Well I was rooting for Argyle until Black Attack began to get all cocky and full of himself. I'm now torn!
:spitlol: :spitlol: :spitlol: :spitlol: Oh the irony!

Bullbatt
11-27-2010, 10:35 PM
You know Rocket, he is gonna stir the pot.

BLACK ATTACK
11-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Bosqueville

Root for who ever you want. Trust me....I'll get over it. I'll beat my chest until we're done.

Black Swarm
11-27-2010, 10:48 PM
I'll take Argyle.

Honestly, I thought Carthage would
destroy Madison and it was a pretty close game.

oldtownag
11-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Black Swarm
I'll take Argyle.

Honestly, I thought Carthage would
destroy Madison and it was a pretty close game.

43 - 13! Yes that was a squeeker.

BLACK ATTACK
11-28-2010, 12:22 AM

That's funny!

BLACK ATTACK
11-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Hey OldTown, tell me about the big running back you guys have. Did he play in the SC last year?

oldtownag
11-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by BLACK ATTACK
Hey OldTown, tell me about the big running back you guys have. Did he play in the SC last year?

He played defense last year and was the backup running back.

He is very fast and people seem to misjudge his speed.

BLACK ATTACK
11-28-2010, 12:39 AM

He is very fast and people seem to misjudge his speed.

Yeah, he appears to be very good.

oldtownag
11-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Yeah, he appears to be very good.

Hunter Holland Highlights and Interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj8SxuaAm9s)

Run at 1:42 and Interview 4:46 at the end.

I was at the Game today. I was very impressed with Argyle's speed, size, and coaching.

BLACK ATTACK
11-28-2010, 02:08 AM
Hunter Holland Highlights and Interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj8SxuaAm9s)

Run at 1:42 and Interview 4:46 at the end.

I was at the Game today. I was very impressed with Argyle's speed, size, and coaching.

Thanks. They have surprised me this year. I think Carthage will be a much taller mountain to climb.

trojan37
11-28-2010, 02:28 AM

He is very fast and people seem to misjudge his speed. I was at the game last night, and when Holland broke the long run, about 76 yards I believe for the TD he surprised me. Madison has speed and he left the defense behind.

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2010, 06:43 AM

domt make up stuff Rocket..Love you posts, but dont say something a coach supposedly said unless you have proof.

And as far as your comment about Argyle all hype..no they arent..they truly are a very good to great team, not lot of weaknesses

buckeyebob
11-28-2010, 07:42 AM

O! M! G! Mark this down...I am agreeing with Rocket...and I beleive Rocket would never stretch the truth. Trust Me!!

cowboyandchrist
11-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Once again I must add the Carthage you will see on Friday is not the Gilmer team you faced. It will be the best Defense you have faced all year. Carthage has everyone back who was hurt. If you can't run with the Dogs, you can not beat them. I told you about Chapell Hill and and you did not believe me. Gilmer was down this year, Carthage is not. Dallas M was the fastest team you have in this part of Texas and you saw what happened. Now it is your turn to let me hear the famous last words. Oh ya the speed from the East, we hear it all the time. The Dogs are coming. Rocket , I must admit that you could be right this year about Brownwood. I think Carthage is the only one left that could test your team. I hope they get the chance.

LionFan72
11-28-2010, 12:32 PM
The venue is set, the teams are preparing, and the fans are babbling! Which team wins, my opinion is the team with less turnovers! Gonna be a very good game, guess we will find out who the poser is in DII this week. Good luck to both teams, and safe travels to all......and be peeking over your shoulder, the Best from the West is coming!

Black Swarm
11-28-2010, 02:45 PM

Half time score was 14-13.
End of 3rd 21-13.
Carthage scored 21 in 4th to put Madison away.
I expected Carthage to put up 41 by half.

oldtownag
11-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Black Swarm
Half time score was 14-13.
End of 3rd 21-13.
Carthage scored 21 in 4th to put Madison away.
I expected Carthage to put up 41 by half.

Well if you were there you know that the Carthage offense was not on the field very much in the 1st half.

1st possession - punt
2nd possession - 1 play TD
Defense scores TD
3rd possession - INT in endzone
4th possession - EOH

Carthage made the adjustments at half time and I don't think the game was in question after they went up 21 - 13. Our defense shut them down after the 1st half. Madison scored 35 points in a quarter 2 times this year. I think we did ok.

LIONS#1
11-28-2010, 03:09 PM
WELL I have done some homework and from what I am seeing Argyle should take this game by 14 points..:) IMHO!! Something like 42-28

skins4life
11-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by rb585
I'll bet $$ he never said that.

Go ahead, find a link to the quote.

I'll bet two $$!!:devil: :devil:

Pendragon13
11-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Well, lets see..

For most of my life Argyle was just a tiny little community between Fort Worth and Denton and they didn't even have a varsity football programs as far as I know. Fast forward 30 years and now Argyle is right in the hotbed of new housing developments coming in with all the businesses around Alliance airport...new people and new money but no football tradition.

Gotta go old school with Carthage in this one. Someday Argyle, Lovejoy and any number of Frisco schools that are fairly new to the game may be relevent in high school football lore...but until then..;)

firstdown
11-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Well, lets see..

For most of my life Argyle was just a tiny little community between Fort Worth and Denton and they didn't even have a varsity football programs as far as I know. Fast forward 30 years and now Argyle is right in the hotbed of new housing developments coming in with all the businesses around Alliance airport...new people and new money but no football tradition.

Gotta go old school with Carthage in this one. Someday Argyle, Lovejoy and any number of Frisco schools that are fairly new to the game may be relevent in high school football lore...but until then..;)

12 times this year we have met schools that have had varsity programs longer than us. 12 times our youngsters came out on top. Come on and jump on the eagle bandwagon.

oldtownag
11-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Well, lets see..

While attending the game on Saturday I had to explain to my son and several Gilmer fans sitting near me why Argyle had very few fans show up for the game. There will be even a bigger difference in Tyler on Friday.

buckeyebob
11-28-2010, 07:50 PM
One thing that will really blow their mind is when they see the number of Gilmer, Spring Hill, Gladewater, & Pittsburg fans sitting on the Bullldog side...not to leave out Henderson but they will have other fish to fry.

Sic 'em Bullgogs.

BLACK ATTACK
11-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
One thing that will really blow their mind is when they see the number of Gilmer, Spring Hill, Gladewater, & Pittsburg fans sitting on the Bullldog side...not to leave out Henderson but they will have other fish to fry.

Sic 'em Bullgogs.

Glad you have found another team to support since yours is at home.:clap:

oldtownag
11-28-2010, 08:39 PM

buckeyebob was at the Carthage game last Friday too. So you see he is not a new supporter.

Chillfan
11-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Carthage is the REAL deal. High powered offense and a hard nose defense.

Carthage by 14.

Get it done C-Dawgs!!!! Good Luck from the Hill.

grahampaw
11-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Should be a great game.I will pick Argyle to win a tight game because I picked them to win state.But whould not be surprised if the Bulldogs win.

buckeyebob
11-29-2010, 05:54 AM

In East Texas, not only do we have excellent football, we also practice support of our brethren. When we are "sent home", we root for those who are still in the running...and you know, East Texas has Chapel Hill, Henderson, Carthage and Athens still here in 3A. We are not bitter about being "sent home". Gilmer had a stellar year, returning four starters from an exceptional 2009 team. We had a group of kids that enjoy the game, worked very hard, defeated several teams that were in fact better than they were, and made if further than most ever expected. All you can expect of anyone is for them to perform to their ability. When you have a group of people, especially kids, that perform above their ability, that is something extraordinary. We are proud of the Buckeys and our neighbors for their achievments and will support them to the end...then next year, we will kick Carthages butt....bring it on Bulldogs!! That is just how we roll.

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2010, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Argyle wins this game. They made a believer out of me.

jessinargyle
11-29-2010, 08:00 AM

I want to play poker with this dude from Brownwood. He's tipping his hand. Argyle is all hype? Sounds to me like he's worried.
Jess

Gsquared
11-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Heres my indepth analysis of this game
Carthage=Good + Argyle=Good= really good close ball game :p

jessinargyle
11-29-2010, 08:05 AM

Sic 'em Bullgogs.

That's because they are all cousins/spouses!!

jessinargyle
11-29-2010, 08:09 AM

Now you are just making stuff up. I have known him since 2004. He has never said anything about another program like that.
You're goofy.

firstdown
11-29-2010, 08:31 AM
In East Texas, not only do we have excellent football, we also practice support of our brethren. When we are "sent home", we root for those who are still in the running...and you know, East Texas has Chapel Hill, Henderson, Carthage and Athens still here in 3A. We are not bitter about being "sent home". Gilmer had a stellar year, returning four starters from an exceptional 2009 team. We had a group of kids that enjoy the game, worked very hard, defeated several teams that were in fact better than they were, and made if further than most ever expected. All you can expect of anyone is for them to perform to their ability. When you have a group of people, especially kids, that perform above their ability, that is something extraordinary. We are proud of the Buckeys and our neighbors for their achievments and will support them to the end...then next year, we will kick Carthages butt....bring it on Bulldogs!! That is just how we roll.

Congrats on a great year. Your QB and RB are both great. If the running back had more speed he would be unstoppable. He looked like the strongest kid on the field. Good luck next year and after we/if we beat Carthage you are welcome on the Eagle bandwagon.

Chillfan
11-29-2010, 09:14 AM

Well said. Who would have thought the Buckeyes would have done what they did losing so much. I think its great coaching and kids willing to give it all they got.

Great Year Gilmer.

IshotAcarebear
11-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Argyle by 14 in a shootout.
Because both offenses will score at will.

waterboy
11-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Carthage has a much better defense than Gilmer had this year. They also have an offense that is as good, if not better, with more big play potential. They have better overall team speed than Gilmer had, too. They are better at making in-game adjustments on both offense and defense, too. This game should be interesting. If turnovers don't bite one team or the other, this game could come down to the last possession. I think Carthage definitely CAN beat Argyle, and I will definitely be pulling for my 16-3A brethren to pull this one out. GO BULLDAWGS!!!

lostaussie
11-29-2010, 02:48 PM
I think Carthage pulls this out, but..................Argyle was very impressive on the field. Although they don't run nearly the same offense, they kind off reminded me alot of some Celina teams off the past. No mistakes, very disiplined, well coached and so on. The kind of team that before the game you are wondering how many you are gonna put up, and then 2 1/2 hours later wondering what the hell just happened. I don't mind loseing at all when i think we were the inferior team. Saturday, they were just better than us!! Good job and good luck:clap::clap:

defense51
11-29-2010, 04:00 PM
This should be an excellent game, Argyle has impressed me all year long so I'm sticking with them. I think the winner of this game will be the biggest challenge for Brownwood. Either way it goes it should be a game to put on your schedule.

bwdaggie
11-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared

i like this...you're so profound G2 lol! :)

Gsquared
11-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by bwdaggie
i like this...you're so profound G2 lol! :)
Hey thanks, I really try! It took me from 4PM yesterday till 6AM today to come up with that. Im just glad someone such as yourself took time to realize that and give me the props I deserve for working so hard to come up with that :p

defense51
11-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Carthage=Good + Argyle=Good= really good close ball game :p Only on 3ADL...

Deuce
11-29-2010, 09:19 PM
WOW, what could be the best game of the weekend is not getting talked about much. I say Argyle wins by a field goal.

firstdown
11-29-2010, 09:26 PM
We (Argyle) are on another site defending our honor. Once we rid ourselves of this east texas pestilence we will be back to try our luck with the west side.

oldtownag
11-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by firstdown
We (Argyle) are on another site defending our honor. Once we rid ourselves of this east texas pestilence we will be back to try our luck with the west side.

Which one are you over there?

Chillfan
11-29-2010, 10:39 PM

Got to be 1 of the 2.

IshotAcarebear
11-30-2010, 01:38 AM
I just visited smokey. hah! Argyle is certainly outnumbered there. And I truly question the intelligence of many posters there. Apparently it is okay to trash Argyle, but any response Argyle has to the trashing is "classless," or "cocky" or my favorite, "sarcastic!"

I read some BS like "Come all defeated east texas teams and help us end argyles season..." --classy indeed.

Gather all the fans you can from every corner of Texas Carthage... you can use all the help you can get with Argyle..

Aesculus gilmus
11-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by jessinargyle
That's because they are all cousins/spouses!!

Before we criticize all the posters on the East Texas site (and I agree there is a lower overall IQ there than here), let us ponder this comment from Argyle.

BTW, someone on that other site posted a video of Argyle's band peforming at the Alamodome and they are awesome. The football team will have to win out to match what the band has already accomplished.

firstdown
11-30-2010, 08:20 AM

dangeaglefan and you?

jessinargyle
11-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Before we criticize all the posters on the East Texas site (and I agree there is a lower overall IQ there than here), let us ponder this comment from Argyle.

BTW, someone on that other site posted a video of Argyle's band peforming at the Alamodome and they are awesome. The football team will have to win out to match what the band has already accomplished.

Nobody got too mad at that...I think you were the first one able to read it.

oldtownag
11-30-2010, 02:15 PM
dangeaglefan and you?

I am not hiding. oldtownag both places.

cowboyandchrist
11-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by IshotAcarebear
I just visited smokey. hah! Argyle is certainly outnumbered there. And I truly question the intelligence of many posters there. Apparently it is okay to trash Argyle, but any response Argyle has to the trashing is "classless," or "cocky" or my favorite, "sarcastic!"

I read some BS like "Come all defeated east texas teams and help us end argyles season..." --classy indeed.

Gather all the fans you can from every corner of Texas Carthage... you can use all the help you can get with Argyle..
It is people like you that make Smoaky a good place to get away from a pot calling the kettle black. I am glad it is Argyle playing Carthage this week. You will soon find out about East Texas speed. I only wish Tatum could of played your team. Remember the two Defensive players you will see alot of, the linebacker and free safety. Please throw the ball in his area or run at the line backer. Carthage lost two games without them and no loss with them.

IshotAcarebear
11-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by cowboyandchrist
It is people like you that make Smoaky a good place to get away from a pot calling the kettle black.
You will soon find out about East Texas speed. Carthage lost two games without them and no loss with them.

Yepp Carthage did lose. So they are familiar with how to do it. Argyle has yet to experience that this year, and that makes them very dangerous.

Thanks for proving my point. Wanna talk pot and kettle?
Maybe you should go back and read the 33 pages I just did.(Please be sober when you do) You're posters are actually taking pride in their taunting BS and encouraging others to join in. Call Argyle classless? Good lord you really must have no idea of the definition of class or sportsmanship.

I'd like to talk football, not hoot n' holler "go DAWGS" erry sentence and "them Argyle boys is city slickers cant handle da east texas speed" "we smash mouth football" blah blah. Go play monster truck or something and come back when your ready to talk intelligent football.

Go back to you're gang on smoky and hoot n holler and taunt the argyle posters some more.

Carthage has proven they can be beaten, and Argyle will exploit that. Quote me on this, it'll be a great game.
Numbers wise, both offenses are very explosive.

Argyle by 2 TD's in a high scoring game.

RPF2666
11-30-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm pulling for Argyle and think they stand a very good chance to move on,... but, until someone knocks off the defending champs it is Carthage's title.

Whoever come's out of Region II will be tough for anyone (yes ANYONE) to deal with!

LionFan72
11-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Gonna be an epic fight to the finish for sure! You could've starred in the limelight if you played Saturday........just a thought.

LionFan72
11-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Gonna be an epic fight to the finish for sure! You could've starred in the limelight if you played Saturday........just a thought.

garciap77
11-30-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm going with Carthage, until they play Brownwood! Then, it's light out for the Bulldogs! Sorry oldtownag!

oldtownag
12-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
I'm going with Carthage, until they play Brownwood! Then, it's light out for the Bulldogs! Sorry oldtownag!

I will take your support this week.

garciap77
12-01-2010, 09:16 AM
I will take your support this week.

I would like to see a three peat, but if BW is still in, I have to go with our slow West Texas district Brothers!

hollywood
12-01-2010, 10:07 AM
I really don't have a favorite. I think either team will be a test for each other.

waterboy
12-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by hollywood
I really don't have a favorite. I think either team will be a test for each other.
I agree, although I'm pulling for our district brethren, Carthage. I also think either team would be formidable foe for Brownwood, assuming the Lions take care of business this week.;)

hollywood
12-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I agree, although I'm pulling for our district brethren, Carthage. I also think either team would be formidable foe for Brownwood, assuming the Lions take care of business this week.;)

Yes, I also agree. Carthage is up to the challenge without a doubt and it's theirs for the taking. Now if Argyle wins, they will have knocked off both of the defending 2009 3A champions in back to back weeks. :eek: Wonder if that has ever happened?

pirate4state
12-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by GSquared

All this means is that one of these teams is about to get blown out! :p Any time G makes this type of "analysis" he ends up at a blowout. LMAO :D

oldtownag
12-01-2010, 06:08 PM
http://www.horse1st.com/acatalog/argyle_sock_kneelength_navysky.jpg:rolleyes:

IshotAcarebear
12-01-2010, 06:41 PM
original.....not really.

Saw the picture you put up on smoaky. A dead bald eagle laying on white snow with blood coming out of its mouth I believe wasn't it?

Really not funny. I hope they ban you for that.

oldtownag
12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
original.....not really.

Saw the picture you put up on smoaky. A dead bald eagle laying on white snow with blood coming out of its mouth I believe wasn't it?

Really not funny. I hope they ban you for that.

It was not dead. Just knocked out.

Besides you are the one that shot a care bear.

IshotAcarebear
12-01-2010, 07:04 PM
It was not dead. Just knocked out.

Besides you are the one that shot a care bear.

If you say so.
The picture suggest otherwise. Not a cool move on your part. I actually had a little respect for you as a voice of reason, up until I saw that little bit.

The care bear isn't dead, just knocked out.

oldtownag
12-01-2010, 07:13 PM
If you say so.
The picture suggest otherwise. Not a cool move on your part. I actually had a little respect for you as a voice of reason, up until I saw that little bit.

The care bear isn't dead, just knocked out.

Get a grip. That was in response to the picture of the Bulldog locked up in a cage. Trying to characterize it as un-patriotic is just silly. It was a good natured stab at Argyle not the USA.

IshotAcarebear
12-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Get a grip. That was in response to the picture of the Bulldog locked up in a cage. Trying to characterize it as un-patriotic is just silly. It was a good natured stab at Argyle not the USA.

haha I read that post, I dont have an account of smoaky so you're talking to the wrong person about the unpatriotic line.

The caged dog isn't bleeding out of the mouth, lol just frowning. I mean the picture is just pure bad taste. I expected better out of you is all.

Since anyone can get on smoaky and see it, I'm sure others may misjudge the picture as I apparently did. Might get you in some trouble... your call though.

oldtownag
12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
haha I read that post, I dont have an account of smoaky so you're talking to the wrong person about the unpatriotic line.

The caged dog isn't bleeding out of the mouth, lol just frowning. I mean the picture is just pure bad taste. I expected better out of you is all.

Since anyone can get on smoaky and see it, I'm sure others may misjudge the picture as I apparently did. Might get you in some trouble... your call though.

Ok, I changed it to a flag since you Argyle folks are so sensitive.

Shooting a care bear might offend some kid. What are you going to do?

oldtownag
12-01-2010, 07:30 PM
P.S. I get in trouble every time I go over there. I just best stay here with the sane people.

firstdown
12-01-2010, 07:34 PM
P.S. I get in trouble every time I go over there. I just best stay here with the sane people.

We are not all that sensitive.

BTW I get a headache when I go over there. Way to much hate and discontent. I don't mind a little jab back and forth but WOW.

Good luck to your dawgs this week but I'm afraid it's not gonna work out for ya.

Argyle 38
Carthage 28

oldtownag
12-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Ok, lets talk for real. What do you think Argyles biggest strengths are this year?

firstdown
12-01-2010, 07:48 PM
This is the most balanced team we have ever had. Offense is strong in all areas. We have good speed, a strong RB, QB that makes good decisions and WRs that work their tail off. The O-line is very strong and has good size. The only problem they have is a real quick defensive front can be a challenge sometimes.

Defense is solid. Play the run as well as anyone and lots of speed and size in the D-backfield.

Coaching is as good as any in the state. They do a great job of adjusting on the fly and their half time adjustments are second to none.

Last but not least these boys are hungry. They feel like they have some unfinished business. Last year they got to believing what was written about them and PG sent'em home.

How's that?

icu812
12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Talked to a buddy who has seen them both and he says Argyle by 14. Says Argyle doesn't have as many D1 type players but they have the better team. But I have friends over in Carthage and usually make a few of their playoff games every year after the Vandals get beat so I have to pull for Carthage in this one. I should be there so I hope its a great game.

oldtownag
12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Carthage strengths:

1. Coaching - You don't win back to back championships and make it here without it. Talent is there but Coaching brings it out.

2. Kendall Thompson - Awesome linebacker that can take over a game. #80

3. Anthony Morgan - QB throws a great long pass and does not get rattled.

4. Balance - Carthage can not only run and pass. They can line up and run it down an opponents throat.

5. Experience

We have other strengths but these stand out.

firstdown
12-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Sounds like the this is going to be one great game. Good luck to you guys.

On a side note where is a good place to grab a bite to eat before the game.

firstdown
12-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Experience is important. How many retuning starters do y'all have.

oldtownag
12-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Sounds like the this is going to be one great game. Good luck to you guys.

On a side note where is a good place to grab a bite to eat before the game.

BBQ = Stanley's Famous Pit BBQ (http://www.stanleyspitbbq.com/home.htm)

Hamburgers = Jucy's (http://www.jucyshamburgers.com/)

Pizza = Bruno's Pizza (http://www.brunospizzatyler.com/contact-brunos-pizza-and-pasta-of-tyler-tx.htm)

oldtownag
12-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Experience is important. How many retuning starters do y'all have.

Several with 2 rings! :)

4/3 - Is what was in Texas Football

rolldawgs
12-02-2010, 04:19 AM
This is the most balanced team we have ever had. Offense is strong in all areas. We have good speed, a strong RB, QB that makes good decisions and WRs that work their tail off. The O-line is very strong and has good size. The only problem they have is a real quick defensive front can be a challenge sometimes.

Defense is solid. Play the run as well as anyone and lots of speed and size in the D-backfield.

Coaching is as good as any in the state. They do a great job of adjusting on the fly and their half time adjustments are second to none.

Last but not least these boys are hungry. They feel like they have some unfinished business. Last year they got to believing what was written about them and PG sent'em home.

How's that?

Excellent stuff; thanks for the review.
If I didn't see which team you were talking about before reading your post, I would have thought you were talking about Carthage, because both teams seem to have VERY similar weapons and strengths. The bottom line is that this game should be an EPIC battle between two very evenly matched teams, and anyone from either side predicting a lopsided score is just being a homer.

Both coaching staffs know what they are about to face, and I'm fairly certain you won't find any of them predicting a blowout.

To compare your notes above to what the Dawgs bring to the table:

Carthage is also very balanced on offense, but that doesn't mean they'll necessarily run and pass equally; it's all predicated on what the defense looks to be giving up. If you stack the LOS to stop the run, Carthage may pass the next ten plays in a row. If you are dropping your LB's to stop all of the slants, screens and curls, you may see the Dawgs run on every single play of that particular drive. The QB Morgan directs most of that; it's actually fun as a fan to watch him check into/change so many of the plays just before the snap as he is reading the defense.

RB Hunter Holland has been a dual threat all year long; a runner that always falls forward for that much needed 2-yard third down conversion, then breaks one for 75 on the next play.

Both lines were the concern coming into the year (since so many of the skill positions are back from last year's title team); but those young guys have grown up and they've been taking over games recently. Can they continue to dominate both lines this far into the playoffs? Eh..maybe not, but they've convinced me
that they can hold their own; enough to let the skill guys do their thing.

Coaching - I think it speaks for itself. Sure, Carthage has had/and does still have the athletes to win it all, but there wouldn't be a single ring on the boys' fingers if it wasn't for this staff. Surratt had won it all before he came to Carthage, and someday he'll likely move on and win more somewhere else; but hopefully not soon!

I like your "last but not least statement". Some of Argyle's other posters are saying that your undefeated season is an advantage (boys feel they can't be beat, etc...). I think you and I might agree to the opposite - it's that loss last year that puts the fire in the belly; not the wins. I might question Carthage's "hunger" if they were still undefeated, especially after they've feasted on the last two championships and all, but the losses this year (after 31 wins in a row) put a bitter taste in their mouths at the time, and they want no more of it.

Hopefully I can post more later, and I'll try to keep them shorter. For now, I'll just say that I can't imagine two teams more evenly matched, with the only gap being your placekicker. The Dawg's kicker is prertty darn good, but yours is a weapon; one that I'm very concerned about in a game where the victory might come down to whomever has the ball last. If Argyle has the ball last, I just hope Carthage is up by at least three! Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing a double-overtime game; might as well get my money's worth after driving in from Houston.

Aesculus gilmus
12-02-2010, 08:17 AM

I saw it and was not offended, but messing with eagles is like burning the U.S. flag.

These are primitive, primordial emotional reactions drummed into Americans from birth. Pavlovian conditioning at its finest. (Wonder if any of Pavlov's dogs were bulldogs?)

Probably the U.S. government should have trademarked/copyrighted the use of eagle imagery long ago so high school football teams could not use the national symbol as their mascot.

I say this because you are NEVER going to get over the primitive emotional reactions of people when you treat the eagle as just an ordinary bird. It'd probably be better if these teams just changed their name to something irrelevant to national prestige such as the lowly buckeye. :D

jessinargyle
12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
http://www.horse1st.com/acatalog/argyle_sock_kneelength_navysky.jpg:rolleyes:

That is funny.

hollywood
12-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I talked to an ole boy over in Gilmer the other day and he says that Carthage is the real deal. He said the 2 losses Carthage has were close and would have been different outcomes if the LB and FS were healthy. They haven't lost since these 2 were playing. He says the LB can cover sideline to sideline in a hurry! We'll see.

I am still at a loss on who to pick for the W. Both have proved to be great teams. May the best team win.

jessinargyle
12-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I saw it and was not offended, but messing with eagles is like burning the U.S. flag.

These are primitive, primordial emotional reactions drummed into Americans from birth. Pavlovian conditioning at its finest. (Wonder if any of Pavlov's dogs were bulldogs?)

Probably the U.S. government should have trademarked/copyrighted the use of eagle imagery long ago so high school football teams could not use the national symbol as their mascot.

I say this because you are NEVER going to get over the primitive emotional reactions of people when you treat the eagle as just an ordinary bird. It'd probably be better if these teams just changed their name to something irrelevant to national prestige such as the lowly buckeye. :D

Pavlov...Pavlov...nope...don't know him. But his name sure rings a bell.

Chillfan
12-02-2010, 04:50 PM
I talked to an ole boy over in Gilmer the other day and he says that Carthage is the real deal. He said the 2 losses Carthage has were close and would have been different outcomes if the LB and FS were healthy. They haven't lost since these 2 were playing. He says the LB can cover sideline to sideline in a hurry! We'll see.

I dont mean any disrespect to Carthage. All i hear is if the LB and safety were healthly, they would have won. The offense was healthly and we held them to 14 pts. We scored 40 some odd points. Really??????

Maybe Nac but not CH.

With that being said, Carthage has gotten better each week. They are for real. Offense is explosive and very balanced. Defense does not break easy. Would be a battle if we played again.

Good Luck to Carthage. I would love to see Carthage or Athens humble Brownwood.

hollywood
12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Chillfan
I dont mean any disrespect to Carthage. All i hear is if the LB and safety were healthly, they would have won. The offense was healthly and we held them to 14 pts. We scored 40 some odd points. Really??????

Maybe Nac but not CH.

With that being said, Carthage has gotten better each week. They are for real. Offense is explosive and very balanced. Defense does not break easy. Would be a battle if we played again.

Good Luck to Carthage. I would love to see Carthage or Athens humble Brownwood.

Good post. I would like the see the opposite. All I've heard is East Texas speed is coming.

Athens would have to get past Coldspring then Wimberley to have a chance. Carthage would have to get past Argyle and that's not going to be an easy task. You'll have the opportunity to see Brownwood. Next week if we get past Monahans. ;)

Y'all have West Columbia next, right? That will be a good game. Probably seeing a Alvarado/CH final?

oldtownag
12-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Chillfan
I dont mean any disrespect to Carthage. All i hear is if the LB and safety were healthly, they would have won.

I don't think you can say Carthage would have won. I think you can say that they would have had a better chance. Prior to that game most including Carthage did not know how good a team Chapel Hill had.

I believe that Chapel Hill is the real deal. I am glad they are in Div 1. Chapel Hill won and they own scoreboard til we meet again.

IshotAcarebear
12-02-2010, 07:30 PM
THE WAIT IS KILLING ME!! The matchup between these two teams is just too sweet! Nothin' beats Texas football !

This is gunna be good :thumbsup:

firstdown
12-02-2010, 07:31 PM
THE WAIT IS KILLING ME!! The matchup between these two teams is just too sweet! Nothin' beats Texas football !

This is gunna be good :thumbsup:

care bear shooter, who are you? pm me please.

lulu
12-02-2010, 08:10 PM

Hey Hey Hey....we Panther folks never even left home but we've been supporting our district representatives every week. This Spring Hill Panther fan will be as close to front and center as I can get to see the DAWGS chew up the SOCKS.....uh...excuse...the eagles.:D

Keith7
12-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Carthage by 21

bigwood33
12-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Carthage by 21
Are laughing out loud or just chuckling under your breath when you post outlandish things like this?

BLACK ATTACK
12-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Argyle 39, Carthage 38 1/2

hollywood
12-03-2010, 10:15 AM
It's going to be:

Argyle by as many as they can score
Carthage by as many as they can score
(track meet)

OR

Carthage by as few as they can allow
Argyle by as few as they can allow
(cage fight)

May the best team win and meet your match next week!

Good luck to both and hope to see one you in the semi's!

The speed from the West is coming!! :p

:clap:

waterboy
12-03-2010, 05:16 PM
It's going to be:

Argyle by as many as they can score
Carthage by as many as they can score
(track meet)

OR

Carthage by as few as they can allow
Argyle by as few as they can allow
(cage fight)

May the best team win and meet your match next week!

Good luck to both and hope to see one you in the semi's!

The speed from the West is coming!! :p

:clap:
:( Aawww, man! I wish I hadn't read your post! Now I can't fit my head through my office door! It's done swelled up so much from just reading your post!:eek:

:D

IshotAcarebear
12-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Congrats Argyle on a fine season!

And to the Carthage football team (Not their jack*** posters still stirring it up on smoaky), congrats on a hard fought victory. Proved without a doubt why Carthage are 2 time defending champs! Best of luck to the team against Brownwood

oldtownag
12-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Congrats Argyle on a fine season!

And to the Carthage football team (Not their jack*** posters still stirring it up on smoaky), congrats on a hard fought victory. Proved without a doubt why Carthage are 2 time defending champs! Best of luck to the team against Brownwood

Congrats Argyle. You had a fine season.

Argyle had a few jack*** posters also.

IshotAcarebear
12-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Congrats Argyle. You had a fine season.

Argyle had a few jack*** posters also.

lol I guess you're right :p

I'm just glad Argyle is no longer the target of the masses from East Texas. Brownwood is gonna have their hands full with the loyal of Carthage and surrounding areas! I guess all I can say is let'em have it !

Carthage for State! :thumbsup:

buckeyebob
12-04-2010, 01:49 PM
lol I guess you're right :p

I'm just glad Argyle is no longer the target of the masses from East Texas. Brownwood is gonna have their hands full with the loyal of Carthage and surrounding areas! I guess all I can say is let'em have it !

Carthage for State! :thumbsup:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/nothingtoadd.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

The Buckeye Old Farts will be there next week...District of Doom rolls on.

icu812
12-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Congrats to Carthage. Really impressed with how well the QB played last night. Great high school QB who makes good decisions, can run and pass. That RB runs as hard as any I've seen, kid took some big shots and just kept bringing it. O-line struggled early but took controll as the game went on. Defense was solid with a couple great players (LB&Safety), good team speed and they tackle well. Coaches did a great job with play calling.

Not the powerhouse team from 2 yrs. ago but good enough to win state again unless Brownwood is as dominant as they say. I have a feeling Carthage's big game experience will be the difference.