PDA

View Full Version : Favorite memories from a football game...

Tin Cup
11-23-2010, 09:39 PM
What are some of your favorite memories of all-time at a high school football game...they can be funny, memorable games, or just something out of the ordinary.

A couple that stand out for me:

Watching Brownwood walk down through the stands at sweetwater against frenship before kickoff.

Watchcing Keith Howey puke after his 4th(?) interception of the game that he ran back for a td. He was about to kickoff and lost his waterbreak lol. That was one of the best individual performances I've seen to this day.

The 42-39 double overtime win over stephenville.

ccmom
11-23-2010, 09:53 PM
In the funny category...

At the Wylie/Graham in 2009...in the final minute or so...our QB had left the game with an injury...Wylie had the ball, down by 3...

The fans were of course loud and it was tense, but at the very moment that it seemed to suddenly get quiet, my good friend turns to me and yells "Looks like time for a MALE HAIRY!" (oops...obviously she meant to say Hail Mary) Everyone within 10 rows of us must have heard her and erupted in laughter and off color jokes. Maybe you had to be there but it was hilarious and she will probably never live that down. :D

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 10:01 PM
The end of my son's senior year 16-0 at Texas Stadium. Will be hard to beat that night!

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9167/picture038hu8.jpg

And a good pratical joke that backfired on my good friend Eagle1:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1607/goldthwaitelosesgs9.jpg

BullBoy
11-23-2010, 10:04 PM
2005 Playoffs round 3

Mustang Bowl, Sweetwater Texas

Bridgeport vs Monahans

i watched a hell of a game and also watched as bridgeport scored more touchdowns than monahans only to miss every single extra point because our kicker had gotten hurt the previous week against Breckenridge. (to this day i still look back at that and say to myself, THEY SHOULD OF GIVEN THE BALL TO COLIN JONES!!! bulls fans will know what i'm talking about.):D

FINAL in OVERTIME: Bulls-41 Loboes-42

BUT..

we got our revenge three years later in the same round against the same team at the same stadium, monahans jumped all over Bridgeport in the 1st half, i witnessed one of the best comebacks ever that day as we rallied from a 21-7 defecit to win it in overtime!!!

FINAL in OVERTIME: BULLS-31 Loboes-28:D

those are my two most favorite games of all time that i witnessed in person.

ccmom
11-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
The end of my son's senior year 16-0 at Texas Stadium. Will be hard to beat that night!

And a good pratical joke that backfired on my good friend Eagle1:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1607/goldthwaitelosesgs9.jpg Awesome!!! :clap: :clap:

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Awesome!!! :clap: :clap: That night at Texas Stadium will forever be etched in my mind. The night when Alvord played Goldthwaite after losing the year before was special too. We lived in Alvord at the time. When we got to the game the window said Dogfan1, who is your daddy Eagle1. At the end of the night the Alvord Bulldogs had won and I fixed it for him with Windows Paint. :D The year before when Alvord lost to Goldthwaite, Eagle1's son Jamie gave me a gold football I have to this day he gave me when we met at the state game in Wichita Falls Texas. He said it was for me since Alvord did not win the trophy that night. Lots of good memories and friends made along the way!

GrTigers6
11-23-2010, 11:37 PM
My favorite in the funny and skillful category
It was state championship with riley dodge ( i believe) and early in the game he took the deep snap turned his head, Vomited, and then thru a long td pass.
It was truly awesome and disgusting at the same time:D

SintonFan
11-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Staying for the Sinton-Hitchcock game in the early 90's. Got to see a piece of Football history that night.

ccmom
11-23-2010, 11:40 PM
That night at Texas Stadium will forever be etched in my mind. The night when Alvord played Goldthwaite after losing the year before was special too. We lived in Alvord at the time. When we got to the game the window said Dogfan1, who is your daddy Eagle1. At the end of the night the Alvord Bulldogs had won and I fixed it for him with Windows Paint. :D The year before when Alvord lost to Goldthwaite, Eagle1's son Jamie gave me a gold football I have to this day he gave me when we met at the state game in Wichita Falls Texas. He said it was for me since Alvord did not win the trophy that night. Lots of good memories and friends made along the way! Love it!!:clap:

Who-dun-it!!?
11-24-2010, 12:16 AM
2004 Quarter Finals in Big Spring

Snyder 21
Sweetwater 20

Most intense game I've ever witnessed.

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
It was state championship with riley dodge ( i believe) and early in the game he took the deep snap turned his head, Vomited, and then thru a long td pass.

He actually threw up in between plays not DURING the play

Rocket
11-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
What are some of your favorite memories of all-time at a high school football game...they can be funny, memorable games, or just something out of the ordinary.

A couple that stand out for me:

Watching Brownwood walk down through the stands at sweetwater against frenship before kickoff.

Watchcing Keith Howey puke after his 4th(?) interception of the game that he ran back for a td. He was about to kickoff and lost his waterbreak lol. That was one of the best individual performances I've seen to this day.

The 42-39 double overtime win over stephenville.

Howey's crazy game was against Brewer. Weren't all the INT's in the 1st Half?

MesquiteFan
11-24-2010, 02:14 AM

LOL this would have been truly incredible.. but like Txb said, he threw up during plays

MesquiteFan
11-24-2010, 02:16 AM
The best game and best memory I have would probably be from last year in the second round in Hallsville. Lovejoy vs. LE.

Means for Lovejoy dug them in a three TD hole by fumbling it THREE times in their own territory, and then lead them back to tie it and eventually win it in overtime.

Other than that, it would be the Euless Trinity and Plano game from Texas Stadium in 2008. First dose of the Trojans fans... truly legendary IMO

GrTigers6
11-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
He actually threw up in between plays not DURING the play it was on you yube I believe. It may have been someone else. I know I saw it personally. just dont remember who exactly

wildstangs
11-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Sweetwater VS. Decatur @ Stephenville in 2002. Decatur completed a hail mary down to the Sweetwater 1 yard line on the last play of the game. Two Sweetwater defenders make the stop immediately.

Sweetwater VS. Iowa Park @ Stephenville in 2005. Sweetwater trails 21-7 with 5 minutes left in the game. Hadn't moved the ball all night. Scores with about 5 minutes, cuts the score to 21-14. Iowa Park quickly gets a 4th and 1. TWO false start penalties move the ball to a 4th and 11, where Iowa Park gets off a terrible punt. Sweetwater scores to make it 21-21. In OT, Iowa Park gets ball first, throw an INT. Sweetwater then starts their possession and scores. Ballgame.

Granbury VS. Burleson @ Granbury in 2010. Wanna see a town go crazy? Watch them clinch their first playoff berth in 33 years on a last second field goal. Will never forget it!

Buckeye1980
11-24-2010, 09:52 AM
December 18, 2004....Gilmer 49 Jasper 47 ...The Buckeyes first State Championship...A tradition was born!

December 12, 2009....Gilmer 43 Abilene Wylie 26... Buckeyes second state championship....the tradtion continues

pirate4state
11-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Staying for the Sinton-Hitchcock game in the early 90's. Got to see a piece of Football history that night.
Sinton 19, Hitchcock 19
Date: Nov. 29, 1991
Site: El Campo High School Stadium

The Story: This Class 3A regional semifinal will go down as one of the area's greatest playoff games, mostly because of one brilliant decision by then Sinton coach Gary Davenport. Hitchcock went ahead, 13-12, with 3:50 left in the game. Sinton then turned the ball over on downs, giving the Bulldogs the ball back at their own 38-yard line. On second down on the Sinton 45-yard line, however, Davenport called timeout and told his startled defense: "Let them score." The Pirates did, and ended up on top. Here's how they did it: R.A. Winston scored - just as Davenport instructed - from 55 yards out with 46 seconds left. The Pirates stopped the Hitchcock 2-point try, making the score 19-12. The Bulldogs had a 3-2 advantage in penetrations, but Sinton led in first downs (the second tiebreak method used), 18-12. Albert Longoria returned the kickoff to the 48, and with 41 seconds left, Sinton drove to the Hitchcock 20. Then, with 14 seconds left on fourth-and-4, quarterback Ruben Trigo hit David Seago for the touchdown. The extra point tied the game, 19-19, to end regulation. To settle the tiebreak, officials first looked at penetrations, which now were tied, 3-3. Next came first downs, which went to Sinton, 20-12. Thus, the Pirates were able to advance in the playoffs because of one coach's gutsy call.
They Said It: "I knew if it didn't work, I would have a lot of explaining to do." - Gary Davenport, Sinton coach

:D

One of my all time favorites, followed by our Bellville game in Victoria in 2001 and of course our state championship game (same year) vs Everman.

Old Dog
11-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Great Memory.........Burnet's run at state in 1991. In the Semi's, we tied Southlake Carroll 7-7 after being tied by Vernon and Marble Falls the previous two weeks. Crazy days!!! One of the most interesting facts was Burnet suiting up 27 players and we counted 72 on SLC's sideline! Now Burnet has over 900 students and we still only suit up 25-28.

Bullaholic
11-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Told this one several times, and I hope you find it funny enough to bear repeating for some who have not seen it:

In 96' the Bulls were playing Pilot Point at PP. The Bull crowd overflowed into the PP stands, and I was one of those. The first half was fairly even and the Bulls came out in the 2nd half and started throwing every down,and went about 3 TD's up on PP. After about the 3rd aerial TD, an old man 70-80yo sitting in front of me, stood up in frustration and yelled---

"That's right---they can't play ball---they got to THROW it."
IDK--maybe he was G.A.'s brother.

I thought I would bust laughing...

One of my favorite Bull game moments came after the 93' Bulls team won the first game of that season. Bridgeport had been a perennial doormat in football for many years and had gone 0-10 in the 92' season. I will never forget the wild-eyed joy of those 93' team kids as they came off the field that night---you'd have thought they just won the SC. That same team went on in that 93' season, which was Danny Henson's first HC season, to an 11-2 record and Bull football has never looked back since.

slpybear the bullfan
11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Told this one several times, and I hope you find it funny enough to bear repeating for some who have not seen it:

In 96' the Bulls were playing Pilot Point at PP. The Bull crowd overflowed into the PP stands, and I was one of those. The first half was fairly even and the Bulls came out in the 2nd half and started throwing every down,and went about 3 TD's up on PP. After about the 3rd aerial TD, an old man 70-80yo sitting in front of me, stood up in frustration and yelled---

"That's right---they can't play ball---they got to THROW it."
IDK--maybe he was G.A.'s brother.

I thought I would bust laughing...

Still one of my favorite stories!

slpybear the bullfan
11-24-2010, 10:34 AM
2001 Bulls vs Kennedale At Pennington field... Huge second half comeback led by Philip Daugherty to win late. Game decided by a bull defensive stop with seconds left on the two. Bulls took home Region...

But my fave... BullsFan is screaming at home one year to kill the Eagles. After my young daughter repeats it a couple of times, BullsFan explains that's not nice and tells her to yell "Hit em Bulls!"

A few plays later a play is made, our stands cheers, crowd quiets down, and my daughter screams, "HIT HIM IN THE BRAIN!!!"

Lolz

nobogey72
11-24-2010, 10:52 AM
My favorite Wylie memory was a first round playoff win against Decatur in 06. They were already pissed at us for the unlikely win against them in 04 regional finals. In 06 we were down by 8 with 38 seconds left and we scored with a chance to tie. Our 2 point attempt failed and I'll never forget the Decatur coaches jumping up and down and chest bumping players coming off the field. BUT, after a perfect onsides kick that we recovered and about a 25 yd Gary Edwards run and heads up play to run out of bounds with 2 seconds left, Bryce Chanell kicked about a 42 yd field goal to win with no time left.

Ex-Tiger2005
11-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Andrews vs Stephenville in the Mustang Bowl...'98?
Snyder vs S'water in Snyder in 2002...double OT victory 26-20
Isaac Ramon's hit on the punt return in the Mustang Bowl in '03
Sweetwater vs Snyder in Big Spring in 2004 :kiss:
Snyder vs Wylie in 2004...our comeback win!
Snyder vs Gilmer...2004...at Texas Stadium, that was awesome!
Snyder vs B'wood...2009...little brothers awesome catch before halftime over lil vacarro
Snyder vs Monahans...2010...little bros KO Ret for a TD
Snyder vs B'wood...2010...monster hit on Longoria

Just a few that i can think of...i could go on about lil brother! He is my kid's hero! :inlove:

bclion56
11-24-2010, 10:58 AM
06' lions had to win its last game against Waco Midway by 18 points in order to go to the playoffs. The year before Brownwood lost 59-49, so we knew it would be a tough task. we ended up beating them 60-6 lol great great feeling

Bullaholic
11-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
My favorite Wylie memory was a first round playoff win against Decatur in 06. They were already pissed at us for the unlikely win against them in 04 regional finals. In 06 we were down by 8 with 38 seconds left and we scored with a chance to tie. Our 2 point attempt failed and I'll never forget the Decatur coaches jumping up and down and chest bumping players coming off the field. BUT, after a perfect onsides kick that we recovered and about a 25 yd Gary Edwards run and heads up play to run out of bounds with 2 seconds left, Bryce Chanell kicked about a 42 yd field goal to win with no time left.

I was at that game nobogey, and I have always felt that was some of the finest coaching and team execution under pressure that I had ever seen in a HS game.

Rabid Cougar
11-24-2010, 11:02 AM
[B]The end of my son's senior year 16-0 at Texas Stadium. Will be hard to beat that night!

That one is the most bitter sweet. My son was on the other side but I was in Iraq.

Rabid Cougar
11-24-2010, 11:14 AM
My favorite memories:

High School:
1. Beating Gilmer for the State Championship in 1981.
2. Beating Newton 16-13 on First downs in Regionals 1981.

College:
1. Texas Game when Bret Stafford could not get the play called because of the noise in Kyle Field.
2. Everyday of Practice with my 12th Man Kick Off team mates '83-86
3. Beating Bo Jackson in the '86 Cotton Bowl.

Dad:
1. "The Hit" 2007 Region III Finals at Floyd Casey. (Listened to it in Iraq)
2. As mentioned in previous post .. listening to my son play in the State Championship Game in 2007 vs Celina
3. Seeing my oldest son play in Death Valley vs Clemson.
4. Seeing oldest son make a pancake block to spring KO returner for 100 yd KO return
5. Watching my youngest son dominating opponents DTs.

bobcat1
11-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
That one is the most bitter sweet. My son was on the other side but I was in Iraq. Sorry for your son and I thank you for your service to our Country if you are military.:thumbsup:

Rabid Cougar
11-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Sorry for your son and I thank you for your service to our Country if you are military.:thumbsup:

Civilian Military. --U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

eagleqb_14
11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
alright FAIRFIELD VS TEAGUE
ff gets the ball, at the first of the game, justin terry (QB) gets down to get for the snap and teague purposely jumps over center and slams the QB to the ground, well we got to move 15 yards up, next play everyone knows this will be a tense game. next play the RB runs a 64 yard TD AND THE CROWD GOES CRAZY! 41-6 final great year FF

Sville
11-24-2010, 12:32 PM
1. Watching Sville win their first SC over favored La Marque in 1993.

2. This was the program defining win that changed Sville football forever IMO...ending 27 years of frustration against the Bwood Lions in 1990.

3. Best game memory as a player; 1992 Area round vs. Arlington Heights. The score was 17-13 AH. We have 78 yards to go in 2 minutes for win with no TO. I am the starting RT for Sville. As I am walking up to the LOS on the winning TD play the Heights DE is jawing at me to get the basketballs ready. The play is Gun SS Bluejet 88 out. Brandon Stewart threw a 33 yd TD pass to Jeffery Thompson with 15 sec remaining for the final score of 19-17. And like the true sportsman I was, I asked the Heights left DE , who's going home now MF'er. We ended up going to the qtr. finals where our run came to an end in San Angelo against the Zebbie Lethridge led Lubbock Estacado Matadors.

4. 1993 Semi-Finals- Sville vs Waxahachie: Hachie was the defending champs and on a 30 game winning streak. they were heavily favored. Sville scores with about 1:45 left in the game to make the score 20-21 with the PAT to come. The Jackets are trailing in penetrations so they go for 2. They lineup in the wishbone with Jason Bragg at left HB. Stewart takes the snap, turns tosses the ball to Bragg on an apparent sweep to the right. Bragg pulls up and tosses the winning 2pt conversion to the TE.

5. My favorite non-Sville game was the 2003 4A D2 SC game La Marque vs Denton Ryan. The Coogs won in triple OT 43-35

Louie13
11-24-2010, 12:36 PM
I can't even write one from laughing so hard at some of these that I'm crying.

Those great times never go away.

LH_Tuff
11-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Has to be 2006 SC game, LH vs. Celina. LH's first championship. I will always remember that field goal with 12 seconds left. Only field goal attempt of the season.

bobcat1
11-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by LH_Tuff
Has to be 2006 SC game, LH vs. Celina. LH's first championship. I will always remember that field goal with 12 seconds left. Only field goal attempt of the season. I won't forget it either :( but you know at the end of the game I was very happy for Liberty Hill. As I watched from the other side of the Baylor Field, to see the happiness and joy displayed by the team and fans was great for them. This was their first one. They were an awesome team. I thought there was only 6 seconds left though. I tell you what I think the difference in that game was. it was the dealer and the O-Line in the Slot T. He was a slick ball handler for sure. :clap: :clap: :clap:

poisoned10
11-24-2010, 01:14 PM

Riley Dodge Pukes, Throws a TD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXMUj6cGZGM)

Riley Dodge's Secret Weapon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXL_t9ynyCw)

poisoned10
11-24-2010, 01:30 PM
My favorite memory was my sophmore year of high school.

My sophmore year of high school, my one and only year to play football, I caught a pass on a quick slant and blew past every defender to go untouched for about a 35-yard TD.

I didn't play much because I joined the team in the middle of the year and that was the last game of the season against Bullard.

GrTigers6
11-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Riley Dodge Pukes, Throws a TD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXMUj6cGZGM)

Riley Dodge's Secret Weapon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXL_t9ynyCw) I knew it. I actually watched it live but remembered seeing it on you tube.
I remember thinking, Did he just vomit and then Bam TD!!:D

Maroon87
11-24-2010, 03:57 PM
1993 4A semis vs. LaMarque in the Astrodome...the energy in that place from start to finish was unreal. The game was like 2 heavyweights slugging it out for 12 rounds, just throwing haymaker after haymaker. It seemed like a player from one side or the other was stumbling off the field after every play from taking a wicked shot.

The game didn't end like we wanted but it was an atmosphere that I didn't think could exist for a HS game until then.

LH Panther Mom
11-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by LH_Tuff
Has to be 2006 SC game, LH vs. Celina. LH's first championship. I will always remember that field goal with 12 seconds left. Only field goal attempt of the season.
I might need to drag out the dvd & watch it - one of my all-time favorite games.

(And yes, bc1, I think it was :06)

DDBooger
11-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
1993 4A semis vs. LaMarque in the Astrodome...the energy in that place from start to finish was unreal. The game was like 2 heavyweights slugging it out for 12 rounds, just throwing haymaker after haymaker. It seemed like a player from one side or the other was stumbling off the field after every play from taking a wicked shot.

The game didn't end like we wanted but it was an atmosphere that I didn't think could exist for a HS game until then. Ditto, walking down the ramp onto the field laying down at the 50 yard line and looking up. lol Always wanted to do that. Coach let us run around for an hour, was pretty cool. Talked to the members of Candlebox who were in the hotel at the same time as us. The game was a blast. I did get the first penalty :(