PDA

View Full Version : Abilene Peeps

Bosqueville
11-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Is the Town Crier still open?? I remember eating there many, many years ago and it was really good. If it is, would you still recommend it??

Ranger Mom
11-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I remember eating at a place called Southern Bell or something like that.

It was a "homestyle buffet"...it was SO good!!

I don't think it's there anymore!!!!

ivchris
11-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Yes, Towne Crier is still here. Belles is here too.

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Well, I'm still mad that Hot Dog Castle is gone. :mad:

Ranger Mom
11-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by ivchris
Yes, Towne Crier is still here. Belles is here too.

It is????

Do they still have the same buffet??

My ex-husband almost missed the birth of our first child because he was SUPPOSED to go to the hospital cafeteria and he went there instead to eat.

He almost didn't make it back in time.....I should have seen the writing on the wall then!!!:doh:

Bosqueville
11-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It is????

My ex-husband almost missed the birth of our first child because he was SUPPOSED to go to the hospital cafeteria and he went there instead to eat.

LOL!

He almost didn't make it back in time.....I should have seen the writing on the wall then!!!:doh: :clap:

Looking4number8
11-23-2010, 05:39 PM
It is????

He almost didn't make it back in time.....I should have seen the writing on the wall then!!!:doh:
I gotta have your ex husbands back.. a new baby is one thing but a great meal is a whole another story.... besides, was he really gonna help when he got there or you just gonna scream at him that this whole damn thing is his fault..

Ranger Mom
11-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I gotta have your ex husbands back.. a new baby is one thing but a great meal is a whole another story.... besides, was he really gonna help when he got there or you just gonna scream at him that this whole damn thing is his fault..

Well it was his fault....after all...he DID tell me he was sterile when we got married!!!

Nine months and one week later, I was at Hendricks and he was at Belles!!!

ccmom
11-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Well, I'm still mad that Hot Dog Castle is gone. :mad:

Amen!!! I don't think I will ever fully recover from the loss of Hot Dog Castle and Crystal's. :mad: :weeping: :weeping:

pero chato
11-23-2010, 05:42 PM
There are so many better places than the Towne Crier

ccmom
11-23-2010, 05:43 PM
It is????

I'm thinking y'all must be talking about two different places. The only Belle's in town that I know of is where Harlow's used to be, and it's only been there maybe a couple of years or less?? I've never eaten there, though.

ccmom
11-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
There are so many better places than the Towne Crier

I agree. That place gives me the creeps. I feel like they should hand out BINGO cards and ashtrays with the bread.

To each his own, though. It's been there a long time so obviously somebody likes it.

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Okay, since we have this Abilene food thing going, I have to ask. Back in the day (remember I'm old lol), there was a donut place on maybe S. 14th (could be 7th or 11th) and around Butternut. I have NO idea what the name was, but if you got there early, you could get fresh out of the grease donuts that were phenomenal. Anyone know if it's still there?

ccmom
11-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Okay, since we have this Abilene food thing going, I have to ask. Back in the day (remember I'm old lol), there was a donut place on maybe S. 14th (could be 7th or 11th) and around Butternut. I have NO idea what the name was, but if you got there early, you could get fresh out of the grease donuts that were phenomenal. Anyone know if it's still there?

Taste Delight?? Nope....it's gone.

pero chato
11-23-2010, 05:50 PM

Was in that line many mornings. It's gone.
Forgot the name.

ccmom
11-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
Was in that line many mornings. It's gone.
Forgot the name.

It wasn't Taste Delight? That's the only place I could think of in that area.

Bosqueville
11-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Then I guess the Crier is out. I may have to give Red Robbin a try. Never had it. Ooooooo or China Star!!!! I used to love eathing there!!

GrTigers6
11-23-2010, 05:56 PM
What About JO ALLENS? is it still there. I used to eat there a lot
And cahoots too. very tasty!!!

garciap77
11-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Bosqueville
Is the Town Crier still open?? I remember eating there many, many years ago and it was really good. If it is, would you still recommend it??

Yes! Also, Sharon's BQ is across the street and it's also good.

http://www.sharonsbarbeque.com/

http://www.townecriersteakhouse.com/

garciap77
11-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
What About JO ALLENS? is it still there. I used to eat there a lot
And cahoots too. very tasty!!!

Still good! http://www.joeallens.com/

garciap77
11-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Bosqueville
Then I guess the Crier is out. I may have to give Red Robbin a try. Never had it. Ooooooo or China Star!!!! I used to love eathing there!!

Over priced Burgers! China Star is still good for Abilene!

Pendragon13
11-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Lytle land and cattle and Sharon's BBQ are nearby the stadium and better than Town Crier. Don't go to Joe Allen's based on memories of 20 years ago...go to Sharon's instead.;)

Pendragon13
11-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Still good! http://www.joeallens.com/ Umm..yeah, about that. Notice that the "voted best steaks in Abilene" link a the top of the website takes you nowhere? That's because it was so long ago that it doesn't exist now. Best BBQ is Sharon's or Harold's (chopped sandwich is drool worthy)...and the best steaks are at Perini ranch in Buffalo Gap.

Mcguirk
11-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Szechuan Chinese is next to China Star and is 100 times better in my opinion. It has been voted one of the top 100 Chinese restaurants in the nation by the Chinese restaurant association of America. I love Joe's pizza for pizza and pasta. There is also a new (relocated) burger place called Heffs near the mall. Really good burgers.

Mcguirk
11-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Umm..yeah, about that. Notice that the "voted best steaks in Abilene" link a the top of the website takes you nowhere? That's because it was so long ago that it doesn't exist now. Best BBQ is Sharon's or Harold's (chopped sandwich is drool worthy)...and the best steaks are at Perini ranch in Buffalo Gap.

Don't forget the hotwater cornbread at Harold's. But I think he closes early.

garciap77
11-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Umm..yeah, about that. Notice that the "voted best steaks in Abilene" link a the top of the website takes you nowhere? That's because it was so long ago that it doesn't exist now. Best BBQ is Sharon's or Harold's (chopped sandwich is drool worthy)...and the best steaks are at Perini ranch in Buffalo Gap.

Yeah you are right, it's been a while since I have eaten there! Harold's is real good, but I think you are right about closing early.

slingshot
11-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Went to Heff's last week--Really good burger! 10X better than Red Robin and less $$$. Just your basic burger joint...
BBQ? Go for Betty Rose's, much better than Sharon's and Joe Allen's. Don't forget the banana pudding.
Steak? My picks are Perini's in Buffalo Gap (it's only 7 miles out--just gotta have a reservation) or The Beehive downtown. Both very good!
Breakfast? My favs are La Popular #1 on Pine for Mexican (yum!) or the Dixie Pig on Butternut.
Darn... now I'm hungry.

Tin Cup
11-23-2010, 10:27 PM
My abilene favorites:

Lytle, la popular, fujis, Sharons, abuelos, & Rick & carolyns

ccmom
11-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
My abilene favorites:

Lytle, la popular, fujis, Sharons, abuelos, & Rick & carolyns When was the last time you were at Fuji's? I used to like that place but my last visit there will definitely be just that...my last. :ack!: :ack!: Filthy!

Tin Cup
11-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Well I've been in Houston since may of 08 so it's been years lol

ccmom
11-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
Well I've been in Houston since may of 08 so it's been years lol You would think they might put in a little extra effort since Bonsai opened but they have really let that place go. Pretty sad :(

pero chato
11-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Bring some money and go to Copper Creek. There's also a Beehive in Abilene, and Don Enrique's has reopened. Famous Dave's Ribs is fun, too.