PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Plans?

AP Panther Fan
11-23-2010, 03:54 PM
So what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

This will be the first year (in many) that I am staying home rather than going to my sister's house. Good Lord, I hope I remember how to cook a turkey!:evil:

Ranger Mom
11-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
So what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

This will be the first year (in many) that I am staying home rather than going to my sister's house. Good Lord, I hope I remember how to cook a turkey!:evil:

I am staying home and slowly but surely all my kids seem to be falling by the wayside. It may just be me and my husband and my daughter and her husband.

I must admit, that doesn't hurt my feelings a single bit either!!!!

AP Panther Fan
11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I am staying home and slowly but surely all my kids seem to be falling by the wayside. It may just be me and my husband and my daughter and her husband.

I must admit, that doesn't hurt my feelings a single bit either!!!!

Sounds like a relaxing day! Will you be cooking turkey and all the trimmings?

Ranger Mom
11-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Sounds like a relaxing day! Will you be cooking turkey and all the trimmings?

Well....I hope!

A couple of weeks ago I smoked a brisket on the grill (first thing I have EVER made on a grill) and it was DELICIOUS!!

So....I am smoking a turkey the same way. My husband did it last year and it was great, so.....wish me luck.

It was by request this year, so far on the menu is turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, corn casserole, brocolli casserole, green bean casserole, pink stuff and rolls.

Requested deserts are chocolate, pecan, pumpkin and coconut cream pie....and gotta have banana pudding.

Now the oldest son along with daughter in law and their son are being forced to go to his inlaws....lol.

The youngest son may have to babysit a well they just drilled, so his wife and daughter may be going to him.

Oldest stepson doesn't like us anymore...oh well.

Youngest stepson is in Kansas City with his best friend vising his family.

So...that just leaves dependable Ashton!!

We may have leftovers for DAYS!!!!

AP Panther Fan
11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
pink stuff

lol, I know exactly what you are talking about and can't think of a better name...pink stuff, I like it! Your entire menu sounds good and I do wish you luck on the smoked turkey. I have never done one.

Now you have me thinking about banana pudding! I think I am going to need to make that too!:)

Ranger Mom
11-23-2010, 04:43 PM
lol, I know exactly what you are talking about and can't think of a better name...pink stuff, I like it! Your entire menu sounds good and I do wish you luck on the smoked turkey. I have never done one.

Now you have me thinking about banana pudding! I think I am going to need to make that too!:)

I have never heard it called anything else. In fact, when I went shopping for all the ingredients was when my niece was having her brain surgery, so I didn't want to bug my stepmom about the recipe, so I just googled "pink stuff" and sure enough, I was able to find the recipe.

Do you cook your banana pudding? I used to and then someone gave me a recipe you don't have to cook and my hubby LOVED it.....that was awesome because it is SO much easier!!!!

pirate4state
11-23-2010, 04:50 PM
I am staying home, as per my usual. This year I am saying bye-bye to the turkey and welcoming a spiral ham with open arms! :D

Stuffing, mashed potatoes and sweet corn are the current sides I'm working with.

Dessert: pecan pie, fresh apple cake and ice cream --- mmmmmmm

I'm sure at some point some of my family will "drop in" and annoy the piss out of me while I'm trying to relax and watch football!

Happy Thanksgiving! HA! :inlove:

Ranger Mom
11-23-2010, 04:53 PM
We usually have Thanksgiving with my brother and sister-in-law and the rest of that extended family in town.

This year they decided to do a big Mexican meal...now I love Mexican food as much as the next person, but I want the traditional Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving day.

With a Mexican food restaurant on practically every corner in Midland, I can get my fill of that any time!!

Txbroadcaster
11-23-2010, 04:59 PM
On my side of the family sadly death over the last few years has claimed most of those who we shared T-Day with..so will be low key

On Crystal's side..we are changing it up..instead of turkey we are doing Brisket, BBq Chicken and Links, Masked potatoe and so on..

I will be either coming back hom Thursday Night or Fri morning to broadcast my Friday game

pirate4state
11-23-2010, 05:01 PM
We usually have Thanksgiving with my brother and sister-in-law and the rest of that extended family in town.

This year they decided to do a big Mexican meal...now I love Mexican food as much as the next person, but I want the traditional Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving day.

With a Mexican food restaurant on practically every corner in Midland, I can get my fill of that any time!!

Yo tambien! :D

I am cracking up over TxB's "masked potatoes"

Txbroadcaster
11-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

hahaha good catch LOL oh well, I will leave it for others to lol about

Ranger Mom
11-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

I didn't even notice!!!!

I have vision of bowl of mashed potatoes with a lone ranger mask on top.:)

AP Panther Fan
11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
hahaha good catch LOL oh well, I will leave it for others to lol about

Well it was funny....you are a good sport. I got an e-mail the other day from someone that had done a quick spell check and clicked on the wrong choice....instead of being asked if it was an inconvenience, I was asked if it was incontinence.:rolleyes: Those things aren't funny when you just had a birthday.

RM, you should give me your banana pudding recipe. I like quick and easy.

In addition to my turkey, I have a small spiral sliced ham and I am making candied yams. I love, love, love candied yams!:)

Ranger Mom
11-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Well it was funny....you are a good sport. I got an e-mail the other day from someone that had done a quick spell check and clicked on the wrong choice....instead of being asked if it was an inconvenience, I was asked if it was incontinence.:rolleyes: Those things aren't funny when you just had a birthday.

RM, you should give me your banana pudding recipe. I like quick and easy.

In addition to my turkey, I have a small spiral sliced ham and I am making candied yams. I love, love, love candied yams!:)

1 lg. pkg. Jello instant pudding (vanilla)
1 can Eagle Brand milk
1 sm. container Cool Whip
Bananas
Nilla wafers

Mix pudding as directed on box. Add the can of Eagle Brand milk; then fold in the container of Cool Whip. Slice the bananas and mixture. Begin by filling bottom of bowl with Nilla wafers, then pour in some of the banana mixture. Layer until bowl is full.

I quit using so much cool whip because it seemed to make it too runny. Just read where someone used half of the eagle brand in place of a cup of the milk to make the vanilla pudding....I might have to try that.

I thought about a ham, but when my sister died my company brought us 2 spiral sliced hams.......I got "hammed" out for the time being!!!

AP Panther Fan
11-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks, just printed it out and will give it a try. So you add the can of eagle brand instead of replacing the milk in the pudding recipe with it? Never mind, I see where you said you might try a variation of that.

I can screw up dry toast if I try really hard. lol.

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Since we're not doing football ( :mad: dang it!), we're traveling to Runaway Bay to have Thanksgiving. My brother bought a house there last summer & invited all the family. There won't be many of us - his 2 daughters, our parents, other brother & my crew.

BTW - I've made that banana pudding recipe a couple of times and it's always a big hit!

piratebg
11-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Gonna be at my inlaws on Thursday. Friday I'm hitting the sales with the misses. Saturday and Sunday my son is competing in a soccer tournament in Corpus. It's gonna be a busy holiday for me.

poisoned10
11-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Well....I hope!

A couple of weeks ago I smoked a brisket on the grill (first thing I have EVER made on a grill) and it was DELICIOUS!!

So....I am smoking a turkey the same way. My husband did it last year and it was great, so.....wish me luck.

It was by request this year, so far on the menu is turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, corn casserole, brocolli casserole, green bean casserole, pink stuff and rolls.

Requested deserts are chocolate, pecan, pumpkin and coconut cream pie....and gotta have banana pudding.

Now the oldest son along with daughter in law and their son are being forced to go to his inlaws....lol.

The youngest son may have to babysit a well they just drilled, so his wife and daughter may be going to him.

Oldest stepson doesn't like us anymore...oh well.

Youngest stepson is in Kansas City with his best friend vising his family.

So...that just leaves dependable Ashton!!

We may have leftovers for DAYS!!!!

I'm coming to your house!

waterboy
11-24-2010, 11:44 AM
We'll be doing the traditional Thanksgiving Day thing. If everything holds to form, we'll have a feast of smoked turkey, honey ham, dressing and cranberry sauce, potato salad, fresh purple hulls, buttered whole kernel corn, green beans, fruit salad, rolls, and a few other delicious items. For desert we'll be having some (all made from scratch) homemade coconut cream pie, chocolate pie, raisin pie, pecan pie, and banana pudding. After we feast on all of this, we'll be sitting down for some football on the boob tube. After everyone leaves, my family and I will probably sit down and watch a Christmas movie.....

Awww, man, do I love Thanksgiving!