PDA

View Full Version : The BEST HS Player that YOU have ever seen

Pages : [1] 2

91 lion
11-23-2010, 01:44 PM
OK...not sure if this has been on here before, but lets discuss the best HIGH SCHOOL player that we have ever personally witnessed in a HIGH SCHOOL GAME. Lets keep it to Football, Basketball and Baseball.

Also, this has nothing to do with their days beyond HS (such as gone on to have pro careers...etc)....just the best that you ever witnessed with your own eyes, in your opinion......and why.

For me:

Football-Rodney Thomas-Groveton....
I felt like he could break it every time he touched the ball. Everyone in town knew that he was getting the ball, and he couldn't be stopped....Truly dominant.
An honorable mention goes to Graham Harrell and Jaxon Shipley.
Harrell seemed like he couldn't miss when he was on....and (and I'm sure that I will catch grief for this) Jaxon Shipley is the best HS receiver that I have witnessed...his hands are amazing and his body control and elusiveness makes him a truly special player. Go see him if you can.

Basketball-TJ Ford-Willowridge....
He lead that team like a Maestro. Ivan Mcfarland and Danny Ewing were big players, but TJ was the MAN on that team. He was that good....and I saw Shaq, Bosh, Kendrick Perkins, Rashard Lewis, Omeka Okafor....etc.
In HS, Ford was the best of these.

Baseball-Clayton Kershaw....
watching a 15 up/15 down 15 strikeout perfect game in the playoffs was all I needed to see to know that I was watching the best HS baseball player that I had ever seen.

OK Downlow....What say you?

RoyceTTU
11-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Jaxon Shipley - Brownwood - WR
Cedric Bensen - Midland Lee - RB
Kelan Luker - Stephenville and Graham Harrell - Ennis

I give the overall nod to Ced Benson - He was unstoppable with 3 consecutive rings - HOLY COW

Looking4number8
11-23-2010, 01:49 PM
In the late 70's and early 80's Billy Sawyer from Brownwood was so dominate as a reciever and viscous as DB. It is a shame he wanted no part of college. Billy was just scary to watch on the football field some seems to be forgotten sometimes because he never played any ball after high school

91 lion
11-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
In the late 70's and early 80's Billy Sawyer from Brownwood was so dominate as a reciever and viscous as DB. It is a shame he wanted no part of college. Billy was just scary to watch on the football field some seems to be forgotten sometimes because he never played any ball after high school

That's what I'm looking for...those guys that were the best, no matter what happened to them after HS.

BullBoy
Originally posted by 91 lion
Jaxon Shipley is the best HS receiver that I have witnessed...his hands are amazing and his body control and elusiveness makes him a truly special player. Go see him if you can.

That dang Shipley...:( he is the best WR i have seen.:D

BRfalconfan
Brookshire royal running back the year they went to state in 2a in 98 his name was thomas tarver I believe he had over 3500 yds and 42 touchdowns his senior year anytime he touched the ball something huge would happen. Sad to say he never did anything tho

ccmom
11-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Jaxon Shipley - Brownwood - WR
Cedric Bensen - Midland Lee - RB
Kelan Luker - Stephenville and Graham Harrell - Ennis

I give the overall nod to Ced Benson - He was unstoppable with 3 consecutive rings - HOLY COW

You stole mine! :mad: ;)

Cedric Benson was amazing to watch in high school!! :clap: :clap:

PPSTATEBOUND
11-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Vince Young Astrodome 2001, while waiting for Bay City to play. I was able to get Doug Williams autograph also, as he was scouting/recruiting Vince for Grambling at the time

91 lion
Originally posted by BRfalconfan
Brookshire royal running back the year they went to state in 2a in 98 his name was thomas tarver I believe he had over 3500 yds and 42 touchdowns his senior year anytime he touched the ball something huge would happen. Sad to say he never did anything tho

WOW! Is Williams in his class?

RoyceTTU
Originally posted by ccmom

Great minds think alike. It's not too late for you to be a "Brownwood T-shirt Fan" :D :D :D

garciap77
11-23-2010, 01:56 PM

So was Terry Orr(Abilene Cooper), but you might have been in preschool during those days!:D

;)

DaHop72
11-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Great minds think alike. It's not too late for you to be a "Brownwood T-shirt Fan" :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Eric Dickerson - Sealy

91 lion
11-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Eric Dickerson - Sealy

I only wish that I could have watched him play!

ccmom
11-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
So was Terry Orr(Abilene Cooper), but you might have been in preschool during those days!:D

;)

Well, I was 8 when he graduated from Cooper, so you are pretty close!! :D

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Ill never forget the entire wimberley crowd chanting "buse" (sp?) as they pounded us 62-7 the year they won state. Idk bout the best individual player, but that guy was an animal and I'll never forget that name.

Looking4number8
11-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Well, I was 8 when he graduated from Cooper, so you are pretty close!! :D

Funny, I read that as YOU were 8 when YOU graduated... I quickly knew that was wrong so I re-read it.... lol

Old&Crusty
11-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Quan Cosby.

I've seen lots that have gone on to play in the NFL including Cedric Benson.

91 lion
11-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Old&Crusty
Quan Cosby.

I've seen lots that have gone on to play in the NFL including Cedric Benson.

Didn't he have a twin?

jason
11-23-2010, 02:07 PM
dabryan blanton - forney
cedric benson - midland lee
jordan shipley - burnet

RoyceTTU
11-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by jason
dabryan blanton - forney
cedric benson - midland lee
jordan shipley - burnet

Jason, what about Cardwell at WR, he was pretty salty too and had Jordan not came around, many of his records woudl still be standing.

3afan
11-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Johnny "Lam" Jones wasn't bad ... he was faster than me

Bushtrimmer
11-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Football: I'm going to say Zach Thomas of the Pampa Harvesters. This guy played both ways being a juggernaut on both sides of the ball. Fullback and linebacker. If they needed 5 he would give em 7 and the hits he dished out on defense. Man it would make me hurt. Pampa had a good chance going all the way back in 90 with Zach, just the wrong coach. Maybe not the coach. QB was coachs son and he tried to showboat him alot. Cause all he would of had to do was give it to Zach and he would have taken them a long way.

91 lion
11-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

What HS did he go to?

ccmom
11-23-2010, 02:11 PM
And I do have to agree that Jaxon Shipley is out freakin standing. :eek: :eek: He really is a lot of fun to watch...dangit!
:(

;)

BwdLions
11-23-2010, 02:14 PM
What HS did he go to?

Jones was from Lawton, OK. He also won a gold medal in the olympics in 1976 in the 4x100 relay. He was a great athlete.

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Bushtrimmer
LOL :clap: :eek: :D

Ex-Tiger2005
11-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Shaud Williams from Andrews...The game vs Stepenville in the Mustang Bowl was epic. The Ville couldnt stop him but Luker and Cardwell were amazing too.

91 lion
11-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Jones was from Lawton, OK. He also won a gold medal in the olympics in 1976 in the 4x100 relay. He was a great athlete.
Thanks BWD

RoyceTTU
11-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
Shaud Williams from Andrews...The game vs Stepenville in the Mustang Bowl was epic. The Ville couldnt stop him but Luker and Cardwell were amazing too.

Thats who I was trying to think of. I was at that game. Evertime either team would score, it sounded like a frieght train was coming through. The top of the bowl was 4-5 deep all the way around.

Shaud was fun to watch at Tech also.

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Johnny "Lam" Jones wasn't bad ... he was faster than me I worked with him before he passed away. Played golf with him too. Great guy after football life.

BwdLions
11-23-2010, 02:21 PM
I think Jaxon is the best high school athlete I've watched personally. Although I won't say Eric Dickerson (since I didn't see him in high school), I watched him play at Tech one year in 1982 and he was unreal.

Other high school players that I've seen play in person that were great athletes were:

Colby Freeman, Brownwood
Deacon Burns, Brownwood
Cody Cardwell, Stephenville
Brandon Stewart, Stephenville
Terry Orr, Abilene Cooper

91 lion
11-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I worked with him before he passed away. Played golf with him too. Great guy after football life.

Thats cool!...So how about yours Bobcat? Who was the best that you have ever seen?

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Jones was from Lawton, OK. He also won a gold medal in the olympics in 1976 in the 4x100 relay. He was a great athlete. I wish I had the clip where he came from way back to win a sprint. I have seen it once. It is unbelievable.

3afan
11-23-2010, 02:22 PM

Johnny "Lam" Jones went to Lampasas HS

In the state track meet in '76 (I think) his 4X440 (then) team was 50 yards behind and in last place when he got the baton .... he ended up winning in jaw dropping fashion, one of the most amazing athletic feats I have ever witnessed

91 lion
11-23-2010, 02:24 PM

So, is that what the "Lam" stands for......"Lam"pasas

bclion56
11-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Deacon Burns - BWD this guy was amazing he was so fast too. "deacon snaps the ball to deacon, deacon throws downfield, deacon catches it, touchdown deacon burns" lol

Another one was Shay Ratliff from BWD, i'm young so i can't say i've seen cedric benson or vince young or anything like that. I just remember the power and speed that Shay had when he ran the ball.

Black_Magic
Terry Orr, Abilene Cooper Played against him when he was in San Diego.

3afan

Yes ... there was another one, Johnny "Ham" Jones who was from Hamlin ... both were on the UofT football team at the same time

wimbo_pro
Other than my relatives on Wimberley's teams of the past (you know I HAD to say that...) I would have to say Earl Thomas with WO-S. I think he is with the Bengals now? He is the only person EVER to run down Michael Buse from behind. No one was more stunned than Mikey!

themsu97
11-23-2010, 02:27 PM

Yes, there were two kids who played for Texas at that time with the same name

Johnny "Lam" Jones from Lampasas
and Johnny "Ham" Jones from I cannot remember

Ex-Tiger2005
11-23-2010, 02:28 PM

That was my first football game to go to...i loved it ever since! Shaud was a** baseball player too! Saw him make an amazing catch at SS in Snyder, vs Frenship in the play-offs!

Ex-Tiger2005
11-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Played against him when he was in San Diego.

You played football...:devil:

jason
11-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Jason, what about Cardwell at WR, he was pretty salty too and had Jordan not came around, many of his records woudl still be standing. i don't know who that is

themsu97
I saw Thurman Thomas play while he was at Willowridge... he was phenominal...

saw Gilbert play at LT and he has a rocket...

best reciever I have seen, not sure, there have been plenty...

saw Casey Hampton play at Ball High and he was a BEAST...

eaglesfan34
Earl Campbell in 1972 from Tyler John Tyler - fullback and noseguard single - handidly won state for his team that year...and now I feel very old.

RoyceTTU
11-23-2010, 02:31 PM
i don't know who that is

Cody Cardwell from Stephenville 96-98. Him and Luker were the 1-2 combo all year long.

BwdLions
11-23-2010, 02:32 PM

In the state track meet in '76 (I think) his 4X440 (then) team was 50 yards behind and in last place when he got the baton .... he ended up winning in jaw dropping fashion, one of the most amazing athletic feats I have ever witnessed

Yes, but he was from Lawton, OK. :D

91 lion
11-23-2010, 02:32 PM
i don't know who that is

Ok....if you don't know who Cody Cardwell is.....then I need to see your Stephenville Fan Card :thinking:

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Thats cool!...So how about yours Bobcat? Who was the best that you have ever seen? Lawrence Williams from Wichita Falls on the 1969 State Champs Wichita Falls was great when I was a junior high kid. D'Anton Lynn was absolutely great and tough. Played the State Championship game in 07 against China Spring with a broken shoulder blade. I think Caleb Lavey was as good a linebacker as I have personally watched 4 years. Troy McCartney was the toughest running back and the purest football player with the most heart I have seen since my high school days. Shawnbrey McNeal was a heck of a back for Dallas Madison a few years back. There are a lot. If I had to pick one to be on my team it would be Troy McCartney.

91 lion
11-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by eaglesfan34
Earl Campbell in 1972 from Tyler John Tyler - fullback and noseguard single - handidly won state for his team that year...and now I feel very old.

Thanks and that's Great....see' we need to hear from others that witnessed GREAT football players in other generations.....it gives us perspective.

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 02:35 PM

In the state track meet in '76 (I think) his 4X440 (then) team was 50 yards behind and in last place when he got the baton .... he ended up winning in jaw dropping fashion, one of the most amazing athletic feats I have ever witnessed That's it! When I worked with him I got to see the clip. It was jaw dropping for sure.

91 lion
11-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Lawrence Williams from Wichita Falls on the 1969 State Champs Wichita Falls was great when I was a junior high kid. I think Caleb Lavey was as good a linebacker as I have personally watched 4 years. Troy McCartney was the toughest running back and the purest football player with the most heart I have seen since my high school days. Shawnbrey McNeal was a heck of a back for Dallas Madison a few years back. There are a lot.

Thanks for your input.....and you gave us 3 new names:clap:

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 02:40 PM
I added D'Anton Lynn. He plays for Penn State now.

BwdLions
11-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by bclion56
Deacon Burns - BWD this guy was amazing he was so fast too. "deacon snaps the ball to deacon, deacon throws downfield, deacon catches it, touchdown deacon burns" lol

Another one was Shay Ratliff from BWD, i'm young so i can't say i've seen cedric benson or vince young or anything like that. I just remember the power and speed that Shay had when he ran the ball.

Yes, Deacon was good enough to be a one-man show. He was the Brownwood offense his senior year. It's a shame he had to play QB, because he was a great RB/WR. He was limited at QB because everyone knew he was running the ball 75% of the time.

Scotty's boy Shae was a very good athlete too. He had a great game against Weatherford at Shotwell Stadium his senior year. I remember Brownwood would score and then Mark Pierce from Weatherford would break a long TD run. We lost while at the 1 yard line about to score 49-42. That was a great game (except for the fact that we lost). Pierce had four TD runs that day. He was big and fast. He ended up playing at Arkiesaw. He had a big game when the hogs beat the Horns in Austin about 10 years ago.

91 lion
11-23-2010, 02:42 PM
I added D'Anton Lynn. He plays for Penn State now.

Where did he go to HS?

91 lion
11-23-2010, 02:43 PM
TXB, G2, Rocket....all of the Bulls (except for you BullBoy:D )...What say you?

3afan
11-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Where did he go to HS?

Celina I believe

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Celina I believe Yes that is correct.

BRfalconfan
11-23-2010, 02:47 PM
WOW! Is Williams in his class?

Williams is coming close to breaking the td record and he is 1100 yds away if royal wins an he has a good to great game he can come close to breaking the yd record I believe he can he gives you that feeling once he gets past the dline he could go yd he is fun to watch

Emerson1
11-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Ok....if you don't know who Cody Cardwell is.....then I need to see your Stephenville Fan Card :thinking: Jason was a sophomore in HS in Forney at the time Cardwell was a senior in Sville...

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Williams is coming close to breaking the td record and he is 1100 yds away if royal wins an he has a good to great game he can come close to breaking the yd record I believe he can he gives you that feeling once he gets past the dline he could go yd he is fun to watch

Yeah he is really exciting. Your sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for him to break one.

RoyceTTU
11-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm not a big 6-man guy, but i do remember seeing this kid play once for mullin high school. Look at his career yardage.

1. 10,480 - Petey Salaiz, Mullin HS 1992-95

I liked to of never remembered how to spell his name.

Matthew328
11-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Sergio Kindle, Dallas Wilson
Matthew Stafford, Highland Park
Sneezy Beltran, Abilene
Cedric Benson, Midland Lee
David Warren, John Tyler

A few that really stand out for me

91 lion
11-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Jason was a sophomore in HS in Forney at the time Cardwell was a senior in Sville...

.....yeah, but I heard that before becoming a Stephenville Yellowjackets fan, you have to sit thru a presentation that educates you the "grandness" of the "Ville. I thought you couldnt get in the home side gates unless you could:

(and this is in no partucular order)
1. Recite Art Briles's best half time speech
2. Give your best impression of Stewart's or Luker's hard count
3. Answer a trivia question about Cardwell's season and career receiving stats.
4. Come up with a plausible excuse as to how Brownwood beat the best State Championship team that Stepenville has ever put on the field? :D

Gotta have fun with my S'ville peeps.

In all seriousness, Good luck this week....represent 377 well!!

jason
11-23-2010, 03:11 PM
.....yeah, but I heard that before becoming a Stephenville Yellowjackets fan, you have to sit thru a presentation that educates you the "grandness" of the "Ville. I thought you couldnt get in the home side gates unless you could:

(and this is in no partucular order)
1. Recite Art Briles's best half time speech
2. Give your best impression of Stewart's or Luker's hard count
3. Answer a trivia question about Cardwell's season and career receiving stats.
4. Come up with a plausible excuse as to how Brownwood beat the best State Championship team that Stepenville has ever put on the field? :D

Gotta have fun with my S'ville peeps.

In all seriousness, Good luck this week....represent 377 well!!

well then it's a good thing im not a stephenville die hard - i just happen to live here and they happen to have good football....

if stephenville was terrible and dublin was the best team around, i would drive down the road to watch dublin.....

they definitely got an easy draw to the regional final - i dont see them beating aledo though...

RoyceTTU
11-23-2010, 03:13 PM
well then it's a good thing im not a stephenville die hard - i just happen to live here and they happen to have good football....

if stephenville was terrible and dublin was the best team around, i would drive down the road to watch dublin.....

they definitely got an easy draw to the regional final - i dont see them beating aledo though...

I thought you were a grad there. Cardwell was a stud until Jordan came around. Those two gave Brownwood fits for a while.

Maroon87
11-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Ty Detmer, QB, S.A. Southwest...I got to see him play from across the line of scrimmage.

charlesrixey
11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Quan Cosby

1st team all-state offense, defense and special teams, and deserved it in every case

jason
11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
also saw ryan mallet play his last game - he was pretty good...

jason
11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
Quan Cosby

1st team all-state offense, defense and special teams, and deserved it in every case i saw him get beat by celina at texas stadium...

i seem to remember the refs blowing it at the end with the game clock and play clock....

91 lion
11-23-2010, 03:17 PM

just giving u a hard time...its all in fun!!

exbull
I would have to say the best QB I have ever seen was Phillip Daugherty. It may sound like a homer pick, but any time Mike Leach says he has the best arm I have ever seen, he has to be good.

The best receiver I have ever seen is Jaxson Shipley or possibly Brian Christian from Decatur (that really hurts me to say).

The best Kicker I ever saw play was Kris Brown. That guy was crazy to watch in High School. He would kick it trough the uprights on kickoffs nearly every time.

Necked
Wayne Williams, Columbia '84-'87
544 career points
1st team all-state on offense & defense
Class 4A player of the year
I think he still holds the THSCA allstar game rushing record...
Was CB for LSU...

FbCoachB40
11-23-2010, 03:27 PM

I was working at Prairie View in '98 and tried like crazy to get that kid to come play as a punt & kick off returner. I ended up recruiting half of the school, but he never showed.

Stamps, Vaughn, and a couple others were in that group. I always ask about him when I see those players from Royal. i hate what I hear about him now. WOW! What a player

spirate_9
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Cody Wallace, Latrael Cooper (Cuero)
Jordan Shipley, Stephen McGee (Burnet)
Emmanuel Sanders (Bellville)
Kellen Heard (Wharton)
Tommy Blake (Aransa Pass)

defense51
11-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Brian Barnes- Paducah High school basketball player 1987 & 88

Looking4number8
11-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by bclion56

I thnk Deacon is a couple of years older than Cedric Benson.. if not they are very close

Looking4number8
11-23-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm not a big 6-man guy, but i do remember seeing this kid play once for mullin high school. Look at his career yardage.

I liked to of never remembered how to spell his name.

Was that the year they played the team from Colorado in Gordon Wood Stadium. If it is he had close to 500 all purpose yards in that game and they lost... That was a fun game to watch

RoyceTTU
11-23-2010, 03:39 PM
I thnk Deacon is a couple of years older than Cedric Benson.. if not they are very close

both born in '82

RoyceTTU
11-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Was that the year they played the team from Colorado in Gordon Wood Stadium. If it is he had close to 500 all purpose yards in that game and they lost... That was a fun game to watch

Yep, that was the only time I saw him.

91 lion
11-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by defense51
Brian Barnes- Paducah High school basketball player 1987 & 88
....oh my Barnes and Will Flemons....saw them at the Brownwood Holiday Classic....to me, Barnes had more skill, but Flemons was more dominant.

Good choice.

Old&Crusty
11-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Didn't he have a twin?

Yes, I think his name was Quency. I believe he played at Baylor. But he did not have what Quan had. I wish Quan had gone on to play football at UT straight out of high school instead of professional baseball.

Old&Crusty
11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Sergio Kindle, Dallas Wilson
Matthew Stafford, Highland Park
Sneezy Beltran, Abilene
Cedric Benson, Midland Lee
David Warren, John Tyler

A few that really stand out for me

Sneezy was the running back and my son QB at Clack middle school in Abilene our last year to live there. Sneezy was a great kid. They went 11-0 that year.

MesquiteFan
11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Basketball - Kevin Durant and Quincy Acy. Lamarcus Aldridge is a close third.

Football - Matthew Stafford

Baseball - Clayton Kershaw

trojandad
11-23-2010, 04:00 PM

was at the area game between tyler and conroe, then the #1 ranked team in the state.....score was 7-3 conroe, 1 min left, tyler had the ball 4th and 4 on the conroe 10.....tylers qb called a timeout, didnt come to the sideline, the huddle hit a knee, qb stood up helmetless and they all bowed their heads....not a soul came to the sideline or from the sideline, except a waterboy.....ref blew his whistle, they buckled up and handed it to earl who picked up 6 yards with i dont know how many conroe men on his back.....next play they scored, final tyler 10, conroe 7.....

never experienced anything like that in a game.....when they picked up the first the tyler side wasnt quite as loud and joyful and the conroe side wasn't as down as you'd think....after the game the teams stayed on the field for the better part of an hour, hitting knees and consoling each other....

part of the myth and lore of earl campbell....

in 92, ray fisher for coldsprg ran for 2800 yards, could have gone anywhere, yet enlisted and has been a career soldier since...God bless you for your efforts both places, ray.....

honorable mention (not football but impressive) t j whitley of coldsprg, was pushed by good high jumpers at state, and on his final attempt cleared 7 feet to win gold....has gone on to uh and won conference usa titles jumping mid 7's....

GrTigers6
11-23-2010, 04:00 PM

I liked to of never remembered how to spell his name. I think there was a kid from richland springs who started all four years and I know racked up a lot of records in the late 90's or early 2000's
took them to four SC's i believe. i think they won two and lost two.
He may be a candidate for the 4 all state awards in high school thread. I dont know. But he was amazing to watch.
He would have tore up 11 man as well

garciap77
11-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Played against him when he was in San Diego.

You played football...:devil:

:D :D :D :D :D

He (BM) must have played for the Raiders (heard they play dirty down there)!:D

;)

Looking4number8
11-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
I think there was a kid from richland springs who started all four years and I know racked up a lot of records in the late 90's or early 2000's
He may be a candidate for the 4 all state awards in high school thread. I dont know. But he was amazing to watch.

You might be thinking about the kid that graduated in 08, cant belive I cant remember his name but he is cousins with #4 on the Bwd team now. If this is the kid you are talking about he won 3 state championships and lost a semi-final game... that the only game he lost as a high school QB... damn, what is his name!!!

defense51
11-23-2010, 04:11 PM
....oh my Barnes and Will Flemons....saw them at the Brownwood Holiday Classic....to me, Barnes had more skill, but Flemons was more dominant.

Good choice. Both were awesome, was more impressed with Barnes' skill and shooting ability (alot like Larry Bird I thought), by far the best pure shooter I saw in a high school game. They were a 1A school beating 2A, 3A, and 4A schools.

Jauch
11-23-2010, 04:13 PM
The Kid from Richland Springs was Tyler Etheridge, never lost a jr high game, and started QB freshman to senior year, took Richland to state championship game all 4 years, won three only lost one. Thats the only high school game he lost in all his high school career. In sixman there a 45 point mercy rule by half then game is called, i'd have to say 90% of the games they played in those 4 years were over by halftime. I can only imagine the stats if they played all 4 quarters

* Passing: 10,506 yards and a national record 226 touchdowns in his high school career.

* Rushing: 4,400 career yards and 95 touchdowns.

* Career record: 55-1.

I went to every game those 4 year, simply amazing to watch

garciap77
11-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Sneezy Beltran, Abilene
Dominic Rhodes, Abilene Cooper
Case Keenum, Abilene Wylie
Adrian Peterson, Palestine
Jaxon Shipley, Early, TX:D J/K BW:)
Darian Godfrey, Gilmer

trojandad
11-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Jauch
The Kid from Richland Springs was Tyler Etheridge, never lost a jr high game, and started QB freshman to senior year, took Richland to state championship game all 4 years, won three only lost one. Thats the only high school game he lost in all his high school career.

* Passing: 10,506 yards and a national record 226 touchdowns in his high school career.

did he go anywhere?

Jauch
11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Heard he was playing at Sul Ross, but don't quote me on that.

LH_Tuff
11-23-2010, 04:19 PM
I have to say Jordon Shipley. He and Stephen McGee were something to watch. Jordon never left the field. He was even the kicker!! :eek:

Louie13
11-23-2010, 04:20 PM

Johnny "Lam" was definitely from Lampasas, thus the "Lam". He ran in the Bluebonnet Relays in Brownwood Spring 1976, then he ran at the State Track Meet in Austin, as stated above. And I am repeating what 3afan says above, because that was the most amazing run probably ever seen by that crowd and it's worth repeating. (I too was there.) And as stated, he was dead last when he got the baton, and every time he passed a runner, the crowd started yelling the number counting them off. I guarantee you runners in front could hear that count and were wondering when their number was going to be called. LOL My hs bb coach was there too, and a couple of years ago at homecoming, he and I were talking about that track event, and he says that was the best run he ever saw!

GrTigers6
The Kid from Richland Springs was Tyler Etheridge, never lost a jr high game, and started QB freshman to senior year, took Richland to state championship game all 4 years, won three only lost one. Thats the only high school game he lost in all his high school career. In sixman there a 45 point mercy rule by half then game is called, i'd have to say 90% of the games they played in those 4 years were over by halftime. I can only imagine the stats if they played all 4 quarters

I went to every game those 4 year, simply amazing to watch That would be him. And see thats what I get for trying to go from memory. lol I guess the other one I thought he lost was the one before he was there.

Looking4number8

I was thinking it was a semi final game he lost.. thanks for the correction and thanks for the name. I knew it, I am just too old to get it to the front of my mind... Kid was incredible to watch. He was not very big but man wa he AWESOME!!!

Dub-C
11-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Cedric Woodard Sweeny, TX

Played for UT Defensive End
Drafted in the 6TH Round to by the Ravens traded to the Seahawks

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/woodard_cedric00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedric_Woodard

rangerjim60
11-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Does it have to be Texas Football?

Anthony Thomas - Winnfield HS, Winnfield, LA

Nobody could stop him. Went on to play CFB at Michigan and then ROY for the Chicago Bears. Had a decent NFL career

Ex-Tiger2005
11-23-2010, 04:25 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

He (BM) must have played for the Raiders (heard they play dirty down there)!:D

;)

:D :clap: :D

MoveInDad
11-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Both from Stratford HS in Houston.
Craig James:
I was a freshman when Craig & Co. went 15-0 and won the 4A title (before 5A) in 1978. I know I was just a fish, but he seemed massive and was very fast, and extremely strong, benching around 350...that was a LOT back then, especially for a back. Rushed for a 4A state record 2,411 yds as a senior... very powerful runner.
Andrew Luck:
I would drive from Dallas to Houston almost every Friday to see Andrew play as a jnr and snr... my girlfriend, who lived in Houston, thought I was driving down to see her all that time.
You knew you were watching something special with Andrew. He didn't smash passing records, he controlled games. When Stratford needed to score, he would find a way - their games were usually a last to score wins affair. He was the most poised and controlled player I have ever seen outside of the NFL. I had never witnessed a HS QB stay in the pocket and go through his progressions like that... of course he could also run.
This VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq1X6y7PJ9Q) was typical of Andrew... it was the last play of the half.
Cheers and a Happy Thanksgiving to all, if you're still playing this week, I envy you, good luck!

Purple Rain
11-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Billy Sims, Hooks, TX

Saw him in a HS playoff game against my home town. They only needed two plays to beat us: Billy right and Billy left

Jauch
11-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Now that i think about it, I think it was the semi final game that Richland springs lost and not the final in 2005

trojandad
11-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
Craig James:
I was a freshman when Craig & Co. went 15-0 and won the 4A title (before 5A) in 1978. I know I was just a fish, but he seemed massive and was very fast, and extremely strong, benching around 350...that was a LOT back then, especially for a back. Rushed for a 4A state record 2,411 yds as a senior... very powerful runner.
Andrew Luck:
I would drive from Dallas to Houston almost every Friday to see Andrew play as a jnr and snr... my girlfriend, who lived in Houston, thought I was driving down to see her all that time.
You knew you were watching something special with Andrew. He didn't smash passing records, he controlled games. When Stratford needed to score, he would find a way - their games were usually a last to score wins affair. He was the most poised and controlled player I have ever seen outside of the NFL. I had never witnessed a HS QB stay in the pocket and go through his progressions like that... of course he could also run.
This VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq1X6y7PJ9Q) was typical of Andrew... it was the last play of the half.
Cheers and a Happy Thanksgiving to all, if you're still playing this week, I envy you, good luck!

no chance of the g/f reading this, right?? :nerd:

MoveInDad
11-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
no chance of the g/f reading this, right?? :nerd: Cheeky

trojandad
11-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Cheeky

i'm sorry, didnt mean anything.....just didnt know if this was the future (or present) ms move in dad.....itd be my luck to get busted on something like that.....lol

MoveInDad
11-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
i'm sorry, didnt mean anything.....just didnt know if this was the future (or present) ms move in dad.....itd be my luck to get busted on something like that.....lol
ex-girlfriend now... after Andrew graduated, there just wasn't enough motivation to keep driving to Houston. Besides, though she was a bit of a 'creeper', I'm certain the dowlow is off the radar of most Yoga instructors ;)

lostaussie
11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
one of the best I ever saw in person, a guy named Oscar Riggins from YOE. He dealt us much misery.

Kyle Craighead from Wylie HS was very good QB also. we beat them in 81' quarterfinals. dude could throw with either arm!!

BwdLions
11-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
I saw Thurman Thomas play while he was at Willowridge... he was phenominal...

saw Gilbert play at LT and he has a rocket...

best reciever I have seen, not sure, there have been plenty...

saw Casey Hampton play at Ball High and he was a BEAST...

I played against Thurman Thomas in the 1981 4A state game. That Willowridge team was loaded.

DaHop72
11-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Manuel Johnson-Gilmer High School

BwdLions
11-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
I think there was a kid from richland springs who started all four years and I know racked up a lot of records in the late 90's or early 2000's

I'm telling you, that Ethridge kid was special. If he had been a bigger kid, every college in this part of the country would have recruited him. My two nephews played against him. He was almost impossible to tackle.

BwdLions
11-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by exbull
I would have to say the best QB I have ever seen was Phillip Daugherty. It may sound like a homer pick, but any time Mike Leach says he has the best arm I have ever seen, he has to be good.

The best receiver I have ever seen is Jaxson Shipley or possibly Brian Christian from Decatur (that really hurts me to say).

The best Kicker I ever saw play was Kris Brown. That guy was crazy to watch in High School. He would kick it trough the uprights on kickoffs nearly every time.

It's amazing how many kids names are coming up that I hadn't thought of. Daughtery was a great QB. I watched him play one game while he was at Bridgeport. He was a top notch QB.

Maroon87
11-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Craig James:
Andrew Luck:
Wow...I had almost forgotten that I saw Luck play as a junior at Stratford vs. Mayde Creek.:doh:

j_dog
11-23-2010, 06:10 PM
. and Jaxon Shipley.
That other Shipley was no slouch!

91 lion
11-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
That other Shipley was no slouch!

True, but I didn't have the pleasure of seeing Jordan play.

LLM_1331
11-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Robert Strait- Cuero

trojandad
11-23-2010, 06:21 PM
ex-girlfriend now... after Andrew graduated, there just wasn't enough motivation to keep driving to Houston. Besides, though she was a bit of a 'creeper', I'm certain the dowlow is off the radar of most Yoga instructors ;)

HEY, I TEACH YOGA!!!!

not really, i always thought yoga was yogi bear's girlfriends name......:rolleyes:

Old Cardinal
11-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Steve Worster--Tailback for State Champion 1966--Bridge City was the very best I have seen over the years.

Went on to U. of Texas and was All American each year; he played as the first Wishbone Back.

trojandad
11-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Steve Worster--Tailback for State Champion 1966--Bridge City was the very best I have seen over the years.

Went on to U. of Texas and was All American each year; he played as the first Wishbone Back.

worster is the most dominant fullback (in college) ever.....

Rabid Cougar
11-23-2010, 06:31 PM
WR- DB - Mike Hicks No.2 Receiver All Time in the State of Texas.

Lineman- Ryan Boutwell - Super Centex All- Decade DE.

RB- Eric Dickerson

91 lion
11-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I saw some really good QB matchups between:

Matt Stafford-HP
Graham Harrell-Ennis
James Battle-Denton Ryan

Tons of state championships between the 3.

CameronBulldog
11-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Anthony "PAPA" Ray from Wharton Class of 1987.
No one that year could stop him in district.

Emerson1
11-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Robert Griffin - Copperas Cove
Dabryan Blanton - Forney
Matt Stafford - HP. Guy I know played against him and said the ball was whistling when it went over his head.
Brandon Carter - Euless Trinity

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
WR- DB - Mike Hicks No.2 Receiver All Time in the State of Texas.

Lineman- Ryan Boutwell - Super Centex All- Decade DE.

RB- Eric Dickerson I remember Mike Hicks from the state game in 07. That is who D'Anton Lynn had to cover with a broken shoulder blade. Heck of a match up!

sinfan75
11-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Jordan Shipley and Stephen McGee- Burnet
Marty Akins- Gregory-Portland
Willie Mac Garza ,Bull Lewis and Toya Jones- Refugio
Riley Odems- West Oso Imo the best of them all. This guy was awesome.

SintonFan
11-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Jordan Shipley and Stephen McGee- Burnet
Marty Akins- Gregory-Portland
Willie Mac Garza ,Bull Lewis and Toya Jones- Refugio
Riley Odems- West Oso Imo the best of them all. This guy was awesome.

What about that 7 footer QB from Bishop that gave South Texas fits in the 90's?:confused:

Hupernikomen
11-23-2010, 08:27 PM
So many great ones it is hard to choose...

Offense: Jordan Shipley (Burnet-Dern it) and Manual Johnson (Gilmer)

Defense: Kevin Smith (WOS) and Red Bryant (Jasper)

Honorable Mention and favorite of all time to watch: Chavis McCollister (Teneha)

sinfan75
11-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
What about that 7 footer QB from Bishop that gave South Texas fits in the 90's?:confused: Riley Odems played all over the field. They moved him all over the place. Had a nice long career with the Denver Broncos as their starting tight-end.

lv2937
11-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Jones was from Lawton, OK. He also won a gold medal in the olympics in 1976 in the 4x100 relay. He was a great athlete. johnny lam jones was from lampasas.

lv2937
11-23-2010, 08:32 PM

and Johnny "Ham" Jones from I cannot remember johnny ham jones was from hamlin texas

SintonFan
11-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Riley Odems played all over the field. They moved him all over the place. Had a nice long career with the Denver Broncos as their starting tight-end.

Huh? I swear I'm thinkin' of someone else.:D

skins4life
11-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Yeah and he used to make the Lampasas JV look like we were running in sand. :eek: :eek:

He's also has one of those gold metals from the '76 state track meet. ;) ;)

LionFan72
11-23-2010, 08:40 PM
For any of the old timers out there, how about Lawrence Elkins of the 1960 SC Lions? Went on to Baylor as All-American, and off to the pros where bad knees ended an outstanding receiving career. He played head and shoulders above the competition back in the day!

skins4life
11-23-2010, 08:47 PM

If I'm not mistaken, he graduated from Lampasas High in '76.

The 'LAM" is for Lampasas not Lawton!!! There was also a "HAM" from Hamlin and an AJ Jones. All went to Texas in the late '70's and early '80's. I believe he's back in Lampasas now.

Txbroadcaster
11-23-2010, 08:52 PM
TXB, G2, Rocket....all of the Bulls (except for you BullBoy:D )...What say you?

oh man this is real tough

Watching as a fan
Kevin and Keith Smith Jefferson
Robert Straight Cuero
Odell Beckham Marshall
Kris Brown SLC
Jessie Armstead Dallas Carter

Playing days
Bobby Taylor Longview
Tremayne Green Marshall
Terrence Shaw Marshall
Sam Adams Cy Creek

Broadcasting
GJ Kinne Canton
Manual Johnson Gilmer
Stephen Hodge tatum
Matt Stafford HP
Dwight Smith Carthage
Michael Crabtree Carter
Vincent McNeil Velt
Jaxon Shipley Bwood
Adrian Peterson Palestine
Frank Okam LH
Tyrik Rollison SS

I could add another 1000 names I bet, but top of my head those are who stand out

Txbroadcaster
11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Lam Jones WAS born in Lawton..he graduated Lampases

BwdZebra38
11-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Hut Allred RB for Brownwood in the '90's I was young, but I think he is one of the best backs to ever go to Brownwood. He went to North Texas and ran the ball for them, but had injury issues.

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 09:00 PM
TXB is correct aboout Johnny Lam. Also thanks for reminding of Dwight Smith Carthage. That was another Stud I saw play.

91 lion
11-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
oh man this is real tough

Watching as a fan
Kevin and Keith Smith Jefferson
Robert Straight Cuero
Odell Beckham Marshall
Kris Brown SLC
Jessie Armstead Dallas Carter

Playing days
Bobby Taylor Longview
Tremayne Green Marshall
Terrence Shaw Marshall
Sam Adams Cy Creek

Broadcasting
GJ Kinne Canton
Manual Johnson Gilmer
Stephen Hodge tatum
Matt Stafford HP
Dwight Smith Carthage
Michael Crabtree Carter
Vincent McNeil Velt
Jaxon Shipley Bwood
Adrian Peterson Palestine
Frank Okam LH
Tyrik Rollison SS

I could add another 1000 names I bet, but top of my head those are who stand out

Great List....and I love the way you broke it down!

Tin Cup
11-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by BwdZebra38
Hut Allred RB for Brownwood in the '90's I was young, but I think he is one of the best backs to ever go to Brownwood. He went to North Texas and ran the ball for them, but had injury issues.

Hut gave me the knickname my Dad still calls me today...Little Man

His house was down the street from mine growing up and he would throw the football around with me in the front yard. Never forget that

BwdZebra38
11-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
Hut gave me the knickname my Dad still calls me today...Little Man

His house was down the street from mine growing up and he would throw the football around with me in the front yard. Never forget that

I remember going over to his house and visiting. He was a great guy to go along with being an outstanding player.

sinfan75
11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Huh? I swear I'm thinkin' of someone else.:D Riley Odems played back in the late 60's at West Oso. Maybe before your time :D

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Lam Jones WAS born in Lawton..he graduated Lampases Here is Lam Jones:

130 yard kickoff reurn against SMU for Texas Johnny Lam Jones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpC5FruBHU4)

91 lion
11-23-2010, 09:15 PM
I remember going over to his house and visiting. He was a great guy to go along with being an outstanding player.

Its funny you two are talking about Hut and his house....His dad was my baseball coach and I was the same age as his middle brother...Jared.

Anyways, I remember spending the night at their house one night and their dog having puppies that night....pretty traumatic for a 10 year old.:p

lbjacj
11-23-2010, 09:18 PM

Longview is my hometown and in 1973 the Lobos went to Tyler 4-0 ranked #1 in the state to play the John Tyler Lions who were 4-0 ranked #2 and led by #20 Earl Campbell.Tyler won and went on to win state(Tyler John Tyler 21-Austin Reagan 14) and we went home with a 9-1 record.Back then you had to be the district champion to make the playoffs.
1937 remains the Lobos only state championship.I still hurt just thinking about it.:(

Another great RB I rooted for while living in Cuero in the late 80's was Robert Strait.He was a BEAST and led the Gobblers to 3 str8 title games!They lost in 85 & 86 and beat Jefferson at Kyle Field in 87!

From Wikipedia...
Strait is considered one of the best high school football players in Texas history. While playing at Cuero High School from 1985-88, Strait rushed for 8,411 yards on a state-record 1,131 carries and scored 841 points. He had 41 games with more than 100 yards rushing for his career, with was then second to Emmitt Smith's national record of 45 games and was the Texas state record until Wes Danaher broke the record in 1995 with 43 100-yard games. In 1987 Strait scored 372 points, which is second in Texas football history only to Ken Hall (395 points in 1953), while Cuero High won the 3A state championship. In 1985 and 1986 Cuero had lost the title game.

skins4life
11-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Here is Lam Jones:

130 yard kickoff reurn against SMU for Texas Johnny Lam Jones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpC5FruBHU4)

Dang that's a long field! 130 yards. :thinking:

garciap77
11-23-2010, 09:38 PM
What about that 7 footer QB from Bishop that gave South Texas fits in the 90's?:confused:

That's nothing you should have seen the 10 footers from BW in 2008!:D

;)

garciap77
11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Here is Lam Jones:

130 yard Kickoff Return!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

MajorApplehorn
11-23-2010, 09:48 PM

Tarver was good! He knocked us out of the playoffs that year. I think he ran for about 350 on our D, and we hadn't given up more than about 120 to anyone before that.

Best I saw in person, though were Darrell Moten (Sr) and Taurean Henderson (Fr) at Gatesville...97, I think.

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 09:50 PM
130 yard Kickoff Return!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Dangit! My typing is terrible. 103 yard. :doh:

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Here is Lam Jones:

130 yard kickoff reurn against SMU for Texas Johnny Lam Jones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpC5FruBHU4) I meant 103 yards. I know I know. Rocket is wearing off on me. Sounds like one of his tales. :D

banderafan
11-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Regional track meet in 1981 in Kingsville. James Lott from Refugio high jumps 7' (I think) as SOPHOMORE. Anthony Ketchum from Needville in the 400M winning easily.

charlesrixey
11-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
So many great ones it is hard to choose...

Offense: Jordan Shipley (Burnet-Dern it) and Manual Johnson (Gilmer)

Defense: Kevin Smith (WOS) and Red Bryant (Jasper)

Honorable Mention and favorite of all time to watch: Chavis McCollister (Teneha)

Chavis McCollister--now there's a name i havent heard in a long time! He was good!

mac77
11-23-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm gonna reach way back and say Elmo Wright. Played on the 1966 Sweeny state title team. I was only 7 at the time but that dude was SMMMMMOOOOOTH. If Jim Lindsey(QB) could get him the ball, he was likely to score.
Back when a hoe was a hoe and a screw was a screw.

bigwood33
11-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Billy Don Jackson, Sherman TX.

"Papa" Jackson graduated from Sherman High in 1977 and went to UCLA. I remember the recruiting parade of stars that came to Sherman to try to woo him. The list included Bear Bryant, Darrell Royal, Barry Switzer, and Joe Paterno but he went to UCLA to play for Terry Donahue. He was All Conference as a freshman and elected team captain as a sophomore. He had drug and drinking problems that eventually led to his downfall, but, when he played, he was one of a kind! A Parade All American (High School) as a defensive end he was also an All State Tight End. He had been an All State Offensive Tackle in his Jr year. In the recent UIL All- Century voting he was the only player nominated for both offense and defense. I was a Jr High kid when I saw him play Plano in 1976 and he was everywhere!

BaseballUmp
11-23-2010, 11:33 PM
The other day I was watching some old tape of me...that counts right?

GrTigers6
11-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Hut Allred RB for Brownwood in the '90's I was young, but I think he is one of the best backs to ever go to Brownwood. He went to North Texas and ran the ball for them, but had injury issues. Yeah werent there two others? He was definetly the best though

SintonFan
11-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Riley Odems played back in the late 60's at West Oso. Maybe before your time :D

Thanks, i think...:D

SintonFan
11-23-2010, 11:47 PM
That's nothing you should have seen the 10 footers from BW in 2008!:D

;)

So this year they must be 12 footers!:eek:

Bullbatt
11-23-2010, 11:59 PM
The best single performance I have ever seen was Donnie Little in 1979, Memorial Stadium in Austin at the 3A SC against Brownwood. He pretty much was a one man team. He went on to play for UT.

Best I have seen in this century has to be Jaxon Shipley.

Who-dun-it!!?
11-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Billy Simms - Hooks Hornets
Kim Phillips - New Boston Lions
Mike Cherry - Arkansas High Razorbacks

bulldog25
11-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Brandon Williams- Brookshire Royal

Tank Carder- Sweeny, Dude was a monster. He literally carried us to the fourth round game in 06 or 07. and in the fourth round game against LH he scored every point, 3 touchdowns and all 3 extra points. Having a nice little college career also at TCU #43.

Who would wanna line up against that?

http://www.lindyssports.com/tyfoon/site/pages/images/fbb71ff7b337710.jpg

Who-dun-it!!?
11-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by bulldog25
Brandon Williams- Brookshire Royal

Tank Carder- Sweeny, Dude was a monster. He literally carried us to the fourth round game in 06 or 07. and in the fourth round game against LH he scored every point, 3 touchdowns and all 3 extra points. Having a nice little college career also at TCU #43.

Who would wanna line up against that?

http://www.lindyssports.com/tyfoon/site/pages/images/fbb71ff7b337710.jpg

Good point, He's a B@#@$$

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2010, 12:07 AM
I wanted to add to my list Tay Bowser..Gilmer...VERY underrated WR/CB..dude was a STUD for Gilmer in 04

SHSBulldog00
11-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
Good point, He's a B@#@$$

I didn't want to sound like a homer but Tank Carder and Cedric Woodard were special at Sweeny.

trojan37
11-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Mike Hicks, WR/Safety - China Spring
D'anton Lynn, Safety - Celina
Traylon Shead, RB - Cayuga
Greg McElroy, QB - Southlake Carroll
Winfred Tubbs, LB - Fairfield ( played against)
John Hubert, RB - Waco (Hewitt) Midway

91 lion
11-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by lbjacj
Longview is my hometown and in 1973 the Lobos went to Tyler 4-0 ranked #1 in the state to play the John Tyler Lions who were 4-0 ranked #2 and led by #20 Earl Campbell.Tyler won and went on to win state(Tyler John Tyler 21-Austin Reagan 14) and we went home with a 9-1 record.Back then you had to be the district champion to make the playoffs.
1937 remains the Lobos only state championship.I still hurt just thinking about it.:(

The Lobos won State with the Bobby Taylor teams in the late 80s or early 90s (16-0)....that same year, they won the SC in basketball (33-0)-led by Taylor and David Wesley.....and then won the 4x100 sprint relay at the State meet. Truly a stud class!

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2010, 01:09 AM
The Lobos won State with the Bobby Taylor teams in the late 80s or early 90s (16-0)....that same year, they won the SC in basketball (33-0)-led by Taylor and David Wesley.....and then won the 4x100 sprint relay at the State meet. Truly a stud class!

No Longview has not won state in football since 1939

And Wesley was not on the SC basketball team..he was already at Baylor

91 lion
11-24-2010, 01:16 AM
No Longview has not won state in football since 1939

And Wesley was not on the SC basketball team..he was already at Baylor

Wow....was I misinformed:confused:

My apologies folks....what was their record in football that year?

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Wow....was I misinformed:confused:

My apologies folks....what was their record in football that year?

What year? 92? They were 8-3 and lost to Spring Westfield in play offs

I know simply because Longview is my alma mater's biggest rival(Marshall)

skins4life
11-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by skins4life
Yeah and he used to make the Lampasas JV look like we were running in sand. :eek: :eek:

He's also has one of those gold metals from the '76 state track meet. ;) ;)

Along with the gold metal he won at the Olympics, he is still the yo-yo master at Lampasas Jr. High. He set the record for the most "Around the World" revolutions at 400. The teachers were pretty cool to let him skip classes to continue. :D :D

91 lion
11-24-2010, 01:34 AM
What year? 92? They were 8-3 and lost to Spring Westfield in play offs

I know simply because Longview is my alma mater's biggest rival(Marshall)

When I was in HS.....We played you guys in 1990 in the Waco Optimist basketball tournament....1 day after you guys won the State Championship.....yall did win in 1990 right?:D

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2010, 01:36 AM
When I was in HS.....We played you guys in 1990 in the Waco Optimist basketball tournament....1 day after you guys won the State Championship.....yall did win in 1990 right?:D

LOL yes we won..I was a soph who got to be on the team the year we won state..I even played like 3 plays in the state title game

91 lion
11-24-2010, 01:38 AM
LOL yes we won..I was a soph who got to be on the team the year we won state..I even played like 3 plays in the state title game

Cool beans!!...and we won the basketball game to take consolation, but I bet half of your teams mind was on what happened with the football team.

GR Tiger_14
11-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Eric Hartman-Odessa High-Angelo State University-In the running for Division II Heisman. Came in 2nd.

Didn't really watch in person cause I was young but he is a coach at GR and I watched all his game videos. He could truck you, juke you, or throw the long ball. To this day he still has a cannon attached to his arm. Our superintendent coached him in high school. He said they had him (Hartman) at QB, and the two backs in the backfield were state champions in sprint relay and the 100m. Talk about an awesome combo!!

WOS87
11-24-2010, 04:18 AM
Kevin Smith and Earl Thomas from WO-S...

Smith was on the 1987 WOS State Championship team and got 3 NFL Superbowl rings playing for the Dallas Cowboys in the '90's and Thomas was the #14 first round draft pick this year ahead of both Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy (he was our key player in the 2005 season when we lost to eventual champ Wimberley in the Semis).

exbull
11-24-2010, 07:58 AM
The best single game I have been lucky enough to witness was Colin Jones 396 yards rushing on 30 carries against Kennadale in 2004. He also ended up with close to 100 yards receiving too if I remember correctly. He had lots of great games, but that was the best.

The second best game I witnessed was in 1996 when Jacob Allen had 488 yards passing agianst Pilot Point. I can remember we were either tied or maybe down a few points at the half and were playing horrible. Jacob came out and had 5 TD passes in the second half, and we ended up winning 42-13.

Dub-C
11-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
I didn't want to sound like a homer but Tank Carder and Cedric Woodard were special at Sweeny.

Don't worry, I made sure Big Ced got his prop's on this thread. And I'm not a Sweeny homer.

Looking4number8
11-24-2010, 08:20 AM
The best performance I have ever seen on the fhe field was myself... yep, thats right, for a few years I was a co-ed softball stud.. I pitched and held the other team to a 10 hitter. I drove two singles right by thier 1st basewoman... drove em down her throat... also slid in home to score knocking the ball right out of that girls glove.... :) :) :)

Gobbler Fan
11-24-2010, 08:22 AM
The best performance I have ever seen on the fhe field was myself... yep, thats right, for a few years I was a co-ed softball stud.. I pitched and held the other team to a 10 hitter. I drove two singles right by thier 1st basewoman... drove em down her throat... also slid in home to score knocking the ball right out of that girls glove.... :) :) :)

Rocket is that you ?

M-town lobo fan
11-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Cedric Benson-Midland Lee
Roy Williams-Mojo
James(Boobie) Miles-Mojo
Mike Welch-Sweetwater
Shuad Williams-Andrews
Brandon Stewart-Stephenville
Luker & Cardwell-Stephenville
Charles Thompson-Monahans

garciap77
11-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Rocket is that you ?

Yes!
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/cheerleadercopy.jpg

And who is this??? Is that you Gobbler???:D

;)

hollywood
11-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Hut was dang good. I went to school with his older brother. We used to pick on Hut. He would try to play tackle football with us and we'd just push him to the ground, knock him off of his feet, drag him until he had strawberry's on his knees. lol He would get SO mad and come back for more every single time. I told his brother if not anything thing else, he is going to be one tough football palyer one day. Well, he turned out to be one of Brownwood's best running backs ever.

hollywood
11-24-2010, 11:12 AM
IMO, the Best I have every witnessed on the HS level:

Keven Green RB/LB-- Bwood 88-90 -- I played with this guy. He transferred in from Tyler his soph year. Benched 385 lbs as a soph. One of the strongest guys I have ever seen. He was a BEAST! Started DE on varsity as a soph and moved to RB/LB his Jr and Sr years. Played both ways his Jr and Sr years rarely coming off of the field. I watched him drag 3-4 players 10 yards on multiple occasions. He could lay some of the most gruesome hits you've ever seen. The summer after our senior year before college, he bench pressed 500 lbs with all of us standing as witness. Wicked!

Skip Hicks RB -- Burkburnett 90-92 -- Played my last HS football game against Skip when he was just a soph in the Bi-District playoff game in '90 at Clark Field in FW. I tackled him several times as a safety in that game. But, as amazing as he was, he took control of the game and ran the ball all over the field and got the go ahead score with only a few minutes left in the game on their last offensive possession. We were favored by 14 going into that game. He later went on to set records at UCLA and played in the NFL for Washington. Stud!

Kendall Briles QB -- Sville 98-99 -- Kid was amazing. 4A player of the year in 1999 after leading Sville to it's 4th SC with a 16-0 record. I watched him almost single handedly take over games and dominate every opponent. He was a game changer, no doubt.

Jaxon Shipley WR -- Bwood 09-10 -- Everyone already knows, but this kid is amazing. He has some of the best route running and quickest feet I've ever seen. You can't coach the natural gifted talent in his explosive acceleration. Can go from 0 to full speed in a split second and has superior vision on the field. I would put him up against the best DB in high school and he would catch the ball 9-10 times. Kid has a bright future.

That's all for now.

Sville
11-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Sville has had many great QBs but the best I have seen at the HS level was Matthew Stafford

The most dominating RB I have seen is without question Cedric Benson.

The best WR i have seen is now Jaxon Shipley. The kid is a special talent. I will be at the 3A D2 SC game and hope to get see him one more time.

The most dominating Sville player IMHO was Jason Bragg. He was a monster on the field at safety/RB/WR/KR/and sometimes wildcat QB before there was a wildcat. Bragg was 6'3" 225 lbs and ran a 4.45 forty. He was a 3 yr varsity starter. His senior year in '94 he was 1st team AS at safety and hon mention AS at RB. He put up a 1,000 yds in the playoffs alone.

hollywood
11-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Sville
Sville has had many great QBs but the best I have seen at the HS level was Matthew Stafford

The most dominating RB I have seen is without question Cedric Benson.

The best WR i have seen is now Jaxon Shipley. The kid is a special talent. I will be at the 3A D2 SC game and hope to get see him one more time.

The most dominating Sville player IMHO was Jason Bragg. He was a monster on the field at safety/RB/WR/KR/and sometimes wildcat QB before there was a wildcat. Bragg was 6'3" 225 lbs and ran a 4.45 forty. He was a 3 yr varsity starter. His senior year in '94 he was 1st team AS at safety and hon mention AS at RB. He put up a 1,000 yds in the playoffs alone.

I almost forgot about Bragg. He had such deceptive speed. Watched him lay some helacious hits on the LaMarque team in '94 SC game.

Lucky2Coach
11-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Matt Stafford at Highland Park
William Cole at Cedar Hill
Brandon Williams at Brookshire Royal

Best three I've ever seen.

nobogey72
11-24-2010, 12:09 PM
I think the best player I've seen play in person was Jack Mildren at Abilene Cooper in 65,66, and 67. I was in Jr. high and probably didn't realize how awesome he was because I hated Cooper, which is what you did if you lived on the north side of Abilene. Everybody remembers him as the QB for OU in 71 vs Nebraska which is called the greatest game ever. He was by far the best all-round athlete that I've ever seen in person. His football stuff is well-documented, but he also: MVP of the district in basketball, won state and held the state record in the 330 intermediate hurdles, was the starting catcher as a soph on the baseball team, but decided to give up baseball after that year.

ccmom
11-24-2010, 12:17 PM

And the game was called after that play because you couldn't get up off the plate. Yep...I remember. :D

hookandladder
11-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Bushtrimmer
Football: I'm going to say Zach Thomas of the Pampa Harvesters. This guy played both ways being a juggernaut on both sides of the ball. Fullback and linebacker. If they needed 5 he would give em 7 and the hits he dished out on defense. Man it would make me hurt. Pampa had a good chance going all the way back in 90 with Zach, just the wrong coach. Maybe not the coach. QB was coachs son and he tried to showboat him alot. Cause all he would of had to do was give it to Zach and he would have taken them a long way.

Well at least Zach was able to win 1 State Chacmpionship, he was an animal against us in the championship game.

keenoace
11-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Played against Kendal Briles when he was with Frenship. Back when Snyder was 4a. He looked like a man playing against boys out there.

Bullbatt
11-24-2010, 02:03 PM
The best single performance I have ever seen was Donnie Little in 1979, Memorial Stadium in Austin at the 3A SC against Brownwood. He pretty much was a one man team. He went on to play for UT.

Correction, I had the wron year. It was 1977. Links to game film below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vol_2BYxpaA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVj09mfhvsA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CaGldwRXMI

hollywood
11-24-2010, 02:54 PM
OK...not sure if this has been on here before, but lets discuss the best HIGH SCHOOL player that we have ever personally witnessed in a HIGH SCHOOL GAME. Lets keep it to Football, Basketball and Baseball.

Also, this has nothing to do with their days beyond HS (such as gone on to have pro careers...etc)....just the best that you ever witnessed with your own eyes, in your opinion......and why.

For me:

Football-Rodney Thomas-Groveton....
I felt like he could break it every time he touched the ball. Everyone in town knew that he was getting the ball, and he couldn't be stopped....Truly dominant.
An honorable mention goes to Graham Harrell and Jaxon Shipley.
Harrell seemed like he couldn't miss when he was on....and (and I'm sure that I will catch grief for this) Jaxon Shipley is the best HS receiver that I have witnessed...his hands are amazing and his body control and elusiveness makes him a truly special player. Go see him if you can.

Basketball-TJ Ford-Willowridge....
He lead that team like a Maestro. Ivan Mcfarland and Danny Ewing were big players, but TJ was the MAN on that team. He was that good....and I saw Shaq, Bosh, Kendrick Perkins, Rashard Lewis, Omeka Okafor....etc.
In HS, Ford was the best of these.

Baseball-Clayton Kershaw....
watching a 15 up/15 down 15 strikeout perfect game in the playoffs was all I needed to see to know that I was watching the best HS baseball player that I had ever seen.

OK Downlow....What say you?

Great thread 91 Lion! I didn't realize you were the thread starter. See you Friday night?

Looking4number8
11-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Bullbatt

Correction, I had the wron year. It was 1977. Links to game film below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vol_2BYxpaA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVj09mfhvsA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CaGldwRXMI

That was my junior year in high school, That guy was so fast it made me sick at my stomach to watch

gobblerfan34
11-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Robert Strait for the Cuero Gobblers

GO MEAN GREEN

DDBooger
11-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Ladainian Tomilinson and Drew Brees

Rocket
11-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Jaxon Shipley. No words.

50 yard line fan
11-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan34
Robert Strait for the Cuero Gobblers

GO MEAN GREEN

Grew up in Goliad. Had to play Robert AND Willie Mack Garza (Refugio). What was it '86 or '87 they each had over 50 rushing TD's?

hollywood
11-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by 50 yard line fan
Grew up in Goliad. Had to play Robert AND Willie Mack Garza (Refugio). What was it '86 or '87 they each had over 50 rushing TD's?

Willie Mach Garza!! OMG, I grew up in South Texas in my younger days and lived in Refugio for a bit. That's all they talked about. Willie Mack Garza this and that. That is one town that loves their football... bobcat1 would like their colors and mascot too.

Dogman_1969
11-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Ok guys I'll show my age and list some players that most of you haven't ever heard of and some that you have.

1 - John Randle from Mumford, TX (Hearne). Best player ever seen play HS football and he played DL\OL (Played against him) Now in NFL Hall of Fame.....

2 - Brent Miller from Cameron, TX class of 1986. Best RB I have seen play HS ball. About 5'10" 200lbs and carried the Toby York led Yoeman for 3 years in mid 80's. Should have played college ball somewhere but I don't think he did. He was good for 7 if it was 3rd and 5. Truely a great one.

3 - Adrian Peterson from Palestine, Tx.

4 - Jordan Shipley. Best WR to play HS football. PERIOD!

Best single game performance was by Rockdale RB Kim Locklin in about 1979 vs the Cameron Yoeman in Rockdale. He broke a TD run late in the game and broke about 9 tackles before out running the defense the final 20 yds or so.

Remember this name. Logan David - DT from Rockdale and he is now at Blinn Juco. Plans to transfer to aTm. Unless injuries or unforeseen things happen he will play on Sunday.

GR FAN
11-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
Quan Cosby

1st team all-state offense, defense and special teams, and deserved it in every case

Hands down, the best player I have ever seen. I have traveled and watched a lot of good football in my time but no one I have ever seen comes close to Quan Cosby. Seen them playing at HEB field in the rain, team punted to him and he returned it 80+ yards making every player miss a tackle, twice, only to have it called back. They marched off the penalty and kicked to him again only to have him do the same thing. Great state championship game between him and Celina, too bad it didnt happen the year before when he had some help. Big collision between him and the LB from Celina at midfield, you could tell all game they were looking for each other. It finally happened and neither backed down, but I dont think they went out of their way to find each other the rest of the game.

DUKE22
11-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Ok I did not see him but I will give you one that was a flat out stud in all three. How about Carl Crawford. I believe he was from the Houston area. Had an offer to play point guard at UCLA, QB at Nebraska, and now he is one of the best at what he does in the in the MLB. Im sure yall will come up with something but that is pretty hard to top.

Phil C
11-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Steve McMichael of Freer who went on to play football at UT and had a long pro football career and was on the Chicago Bears super bowl championship team.

Jordan Shipley of Burnet. He played great at UT and looks like he will be a great pro.

Tommy Blake of Aransas Pass - I wish things had worked out better at TCU.

solocam
11-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Tyler Rose Earl Cambell

BLEEDZGREEN
11-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Football: Johnny Bailey (RIP), Vince Young, Sam McGuffie, Eric Dickerson, Rodney Hampton, Dexter Manley, Gerald Moore, & Thurman Thomas.

91 lion
11-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
Great thread 91 Lion! I didn't realize you were the thread starter. See you Friday night?

Thanks Hollywood!.Just trying to help Phil C out with some good football talk...and you were on the money about Duke (Keven) Green......he was the strongest guy that I ever knew in HS. A true load to tackle too!!

As for tomorrow, I cant make it:(

Im in deep East Texas for the weekend, so Abilene is a little too far away.

You know I will be listening though

PS, my nephew just gave me a 112% wristband in memory of Riggie Garrett....I wearing it with pride!

WildTexan972
11-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Ok guys I'll show my age and list some players that most of you haven't ever heard of and some that you have.

1 - John Randle from Mumford, TX (Hearne). Best player ever seen play HS football and he played DL\OL (Played against him) Now in NFL Hall of Fame.....

2 - Brent Miller from Cameron, TX class of 1986. Best RB I have seen play HS ball. About 5'10" 200lbs and carried the Toby York led Yoeman for 3 years in mid 80's. Should have played college ball somewhere but I don't think he did. He was good for 7 if it was 3rd and 5. Truely a great one.

3 - Adrian Peterson from Palestine, Tx.

4 - Jordan Shipley. Best WR to play HS football. PERIOD!

Best single game performance was by Rockdale RB Kim Locklin in about 1979 vs the Cameron Yoeman in Rockdale. He broke a TD run late in the game and broke about 9 tackles before out running the defense the final 20 yds or so.

Remember this name. Logan David - DT from Rockdale and he is now at Blinn Juco. Plans to transfer to aTm. Unless injuries or unforeseen things happen he will play on Sunday.

Logan David has the brain of a flea....he is a beast as a player but unless they spot him 2.0 points each semester on his GPA he won't make grades to be able to play D1....unless the Ags list him in all PE classes and have him as a PE major or such....

Dogs_21
11-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Vince Young Astrodome 2001, while waiting for Bay City to play. I was able to get Doug Williams autograph also, as he was scouting/recruiting Vince for Grambling at the time

I would have to agree..40,000 would pack the Astrodome just to watch him.

BaseballUmp
11-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
Logan David has the brain of a flea....he is a beast as a player but unless they spot him 2.0 points each semester on his GPA he won't make grades to be able to play D1....unless the Ags list him in all PE classes and have him as a PE major or such....

Dang, put the kid on blast why don't you...

BaseballUmp
11-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
The other day I was watching some old tape of me...that counts right?
^^^

mwrams
11-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Saw Quan Cosby play for Mart and I have to admit I was amazed! however, Mart's John Garrett was a beast among men. Also may I add Kelvin Thompson of the 2005 Mineral Wells Rams. 2300 yards and only played 1st half in 7 out of the 11 games he played in as a senior. However, best player has to go to Eric Dickeson of Sealy and David Overstreet of Big Sandy.

bigwood33
11-26-2010, 07:12 PM
I have already posted my opinion but my wife wants to put in her .02 (nothing new about that). She graduated from Brownwood High in '82 with some great players but the greatest was Mike Kinsey. According to Gordon Wood, Mike was the best player that he ever coached and he is enshrined in the Texas Football Hall of Fame.

bobcat1
11-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972

Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Dang, put the kid on blast why don't you... He's our village idiot.

DDBooger
11-26-2010, 07:52 PM
He's our village idiot. No kidding, damn, just an awful person from what he displays here.

DDBooger
11-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Forgot about Dat Nguyen. Guy was relentless.

buffalo2006
11-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Best I've seen live was Brock Fitzhenry, part of it was the system Giddings ran but the kid had wheels and was relentless. The foot race he had against Earl Thomas was legit...Again we are not talking about after high school, I'm pretty sure he would like some playing time at UT

Displaced Texan
11-26-2010, 08:40 PM

and Johnny "Ham" Jones from I cannot remember

There were actually three Jones at Texas, the third being A.J. "Jam" Jones.

solocam
11-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Ham Jones was from Hamlin
I think their were three Lam Ham and Jam Jones,cant remember where Jam was from though

Displaced Texan
11-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by solocam
Ham Jones was from Hamlin
I think their were three Lam Ham and Jam Jones,cant remember where Jam was from though

Jam was from Youngstown, Ohio IIRC.

Stownhorse09
11-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I watched Tyler Ethridge, class of 08, QB at Richland Springs surpass the national record for career yards by a QB against Vernon Northside at Shotwell Stadium in Abilene. Ethridge was a hell of a QB but was too used to being in a 6-man offense and couldn't take a snap from under center.

TexState86
11-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Shane Leckler QB, LineBacker, Kicker and Punter for East Benard. Watched him in the DOME and he only sat out one play. Went on to punt for Texas A&M and the Oakland Raiders. Totaly enjoyed my freshman year of High School watching Eric Dickerson and Gary Hill win a state championship.

pancho villa
11-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Necked
544 career points
Was CB for LSU...

I have seen many great HS players but Wayne Williams is the best I have ever seen!

Snotbubbles
11-27-2010, 09:28 AM
I got four that I must list during my tenure of watching HS football.

Earl "The Tyler Rose"

Thomas Everett - Daingerfield

Robert Strait - Cuero

Godfrey - Gilmer

Looking4number8
11-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
I have already posted my opinion but my wife wants to put in her .02 (nothing new about that). She graduated from Brownwood High in '82 with some great players but the greatest was Mike Kinsey. According to Gordon Wood, Mike was the best player that he ever coached and he is enshrined in the Texas Football Hall of Fame.

Mike Kinsey was a stud... He was scary too watch.

GR FAN
11-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by mwrams
Saw Quan Cosby play for Mart and I have to admit I was amazed! however, Mart's John Garrett was a beast among men. Also may I add Kelvin Thompson of the 2005 Mineral Wells Rams. 2300 yards and only played 1st half in 7 out of the 11 games he played in as a senior. However, best player has to go to Eric Dickeson of Sealy and David Overstreet of Big Sandy.

I would agree 100% on Garrett. He just graduated a year too early. I wish he would have been around for a showdown the next year with Celina. Garrett did what he wanted, when he wanted, you couldn't stop him. Single most dominant deensive player I have ever seen.

ntfootballfan
11-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Best high school player I ever saw was Earl Campbell. And BTW, I think Bobby Mitchell (1970-1973) at Big Sandy was better than Overstreet.

GR Tiger_14
11-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Didn't watch this guy but look him up. He is still in high school I believe. Watch him on youtube, JARVIS LANDRY.

hornetsrule
12-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Earl Campbell ... hands down

theville
12-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Jonathon Gray- ALEDO

56 TD's as a Soph? close to 4000 yards? Come on.

Snotbubbles
12-01-2010, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gobblerfan34
[B]Robert Strait for the Cuero Gobblers

Best HS RB I ever seen. Biggest failure after HS I ever seen too.

hollywood
12-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by theville
Jonathon Gray- ALEDO

56 TD's as a Soph? close to 4000 yards? Come on.

Everytime I've seen him, he hasn't been dominate. Stephenville has shut him down everytime. He's not the best. Very good, but not the best.

How is he this week btw? Is he 100%? Just curious.

mwrams
12-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Gray at Aledo was impressive to watch, as we usually watched him from behind!! LOL! However, Cole Lofton was more feared by us than Gray! Also some in the past we have face...Jevan Snead, Phillip Daughtery, Tommy Dorman, Cody Cardwell, Brandon Stewart, Kevin Kolb...Most dominant lineman has to be Kyle Hix of Aledo I also remember my son getting flattened by Tommy Harris (Chicago Bears) When he was in Jr. High!

dirtysouth
12-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Huh? I swear I'm thinkin' of someone else.:D

I believe you are thinking of Cody McCardy or something like that but i do not remember him being a phenom. He was two years ahead of me and do not remember that many people just going crazy about how good he was.

GrTigers6
12-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
I have already posted my opinion but my wife wants to put in her .02 (nothing new about that). She graduated from Brownwood High in '82 with some great players but the greatest was Mike Kinsey. According to Gordon Wood, Mike was the best player that he ever coached and he is enshrined in the Texas Football Hall of Fame. Are you sure you want to post her age on here.:D :doh:

bigwood33
12-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I am sure that she wishes that she were younger (don't we all) but she is a very proud graduate of '82, the last State Champions for the Lions!
Who knows about this year?:thinking:

FrmSTx
12-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by hollywood
Willie Mach Garza!! OMG, I grew up in South Texas in my younger days and lived in Refugio for a bit. That's all they talked about. Willie Mack Garza this and that. That is one town that loves their football... bobcat1 would like their colors and mascot too.

He never recovered from the broken leg he suffered against aTm his senior year, or he would of had a great pro career. It was dirty, do yall remeber that?

i miss great football in South Texas

theville
12-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Jonathon Gray supposedly has a hyper exteneded knee and bad back and has yet to practice this week.

BEAST
12-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by theville
Jonathon Gray supposedly has a hyper exteneded knee and bad back and has yet to practice this week.

Oh snap! Come on Ville, pull one out. Yall owe the polecats a beat down.

BEAST

LIONS#1
12-01-2010, 01:42 PM
What Beast said!!

91 lion
12-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Two Names:

Butch Hadnot RB Kirbyville

Tom Wort LB-New Braunfels

I never had the honor of watching either play, but the stories about them were legendary. Can anyone chime in on how they looked in person?

theville
12-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST

Yeah we need to end this 4 game losing streak to Aledo.

Old Green
12-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Best football Players I've seen in person

Roosevelt Leaks - Brenham
Robert Strait - Cuero
Wes Danaher - CC Calallen
BUSE - Wimberley
Willie Mack Garza - Refugio
Toya Jones - Refugio
Jerrell Wilkerson - SA Clark
Stump Godfrey - Gilmer
Tank Carder

CENTEX FAN
12-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Walter Abercrombie-Waco University and Baylor
Tommy Nobis-Permian
Billy Sims-Hooks

BwdLions
12-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST

Please try not to say "Oh snap!" Beast. Unless this is really Mrs. Beast posting. :p

NastySlot
12-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by CENTEX FAN
Walter Abercrombie-Waco University and Baylor
Tommy Nobis-Permian
Billy Sims-Hooks

Nobis at Permian...........i could of swore he played at Jefferson in San Antonio??????????????????

NastySlot
12-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Two Names:

Butch Hadnot RB Kirbyville

Tom Wort LB-New Braunfels

I never had the honor of watching either play, but the stories about them were legendary. Can anyone chime in on how they looked in person?

saw Wort play he was a Beast all over the field and running down ball carriers.

NHSBulldog75
12-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Necked
544 career points
Was CB for LSU...

Wayne gets my vote as well!

Still see him at Roughneck games!

carter08
12-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Probably Foswhitt Whittaker

Saw Sam McGuffie play but was not impressed.

Jared Flannel, of course.
Tank Carder

BEAST
12-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Please try not to say "Oh snap!" Beast. Unless this is really Mrs. Beast posting. :p

You got to watch your mouths on here. Dont want to get slapped around by the mods.

BEAST