PDA

View Full Version : the Sykes effect.....

trojandad
11-22-2010, 02:01 PM
several people on here have asked in private about whether we have another member of the sykes family playing, as it seems like coldspring makes a deep run everytime we have one.....

actually do, jerrell sykes is a chip off the old block, a sophomore, starts at cb for us....he's been really good, he's the one that had the pass go off his helmet and into the bridge city receiver's arms for their only td, but thats so unusual for him its funny....in his first game in varsite he even caught a couple of passes against k'ville for 46 yards....

i don't know if his strength will be at cb or safety (we have a good one) but if he bulks up like his family and keeps their speed, i'd hate to know i had to cover him on pass patterns....

for those of you too young to remember, james sykes was all southwest conference for rice, then went on to be drafted by the redskins and finished his career catching passes in canada....one of the best athletes we've had....then other family were on our 92-93-95 state march teams....

everytime we turn up with a decent team i'll have people ask about the sykes factor....guess its like the gunn name at lagrange or detmer at mission.....

LH Panther Mom
11-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
guess its like the detmer name at mission.....
Or Somerset! ;)

Pretty cool family thing going on there in Coldspring!

trojandad
12-05-2010, 12:25 AM
and to continue.....jerrell sykes returned an interception 48 yds for a td vs athens.....atta boy, sykes......:clap:

Txbroadcaster
12-05-2010, 12:32 AM
One of the things I love about small town HS football is the families and the "names" that become staples for programs

3afan
12-05-2010, 06:29 AM
coincidence perhaps :thinking: