PDA

View Full Version : Coach Detmer

gohawks
11-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Thoughts on Addressing the Opposing Team Post Game:
It seems a classy move to address the opposing team to compliment them on a well played game. I don't doubt that the intentions were good. Problem here is that according to my son, Coach Detmer interupted our coaches who were trying to bring some closure to a difficult loss (game winning field goal fell just short as time expired), in a great season and career for our seniors as they spoke to them on the field just after the game.
Most of us know that Darrell Royal did it on occasion. Coach Detmer, I know Darrell Royal. I've admired him for 40+ years as a great leader of men. Coach Detmer, you sir are no Darrell Royal.
In all seriousness though, please take a moment to consider this. Good luck to Somerset through the rest of the playoffs!!!

NastySlot
11-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by gohawks
Thoughts on Addressing the Opposing Team Post Game:
It seems a classy move to address the opposing team to compliment them on a well played game. I don't doubt that the intentions were good. Problem here is that according to my son, Coach Detmer interupted our coaches who were trying to bring some closure to a difficult loss (game winning field goal fell just short as time expired), in a great season and career for our seniors as they spoke to them on the field just after the game.
Most of us know that Darrell Royal did it on occasion. Coach Detmer, I know Darrell Royal. I've admired him for 40+ years as a great leader of men. Coach Detmer, you sir are no Darrell Royal.
In all seriousness though, please take a moment to consider this. Good luck to Somerset through the rest of the playoffs!!!

maybe you should call or write coach detmer.............and i'm confussed.....aren't you the one that compared Detmer to Royal..........not Detmer comparing himself to Royal?.....sort of lost me on that ................so if he didn't compare himself...why would you compare him to Royal and then say he's not no Royal.........im lost.

NateDawg39
11-22-2010, 02:21 PM
:confused: :confused:

Red&White_9x5
11-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Ummmmmmmmm. Is anyone else kind of lost after reading this post?

bobcat1
11-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Well yes.

MesquiteFan
11-22-2010, 04:11 PM
:thinking: :doh:

Bullaholic
11-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I think he's saying that the opposing coach interrupted his team's coach during his post game talk with the team after a tough loss to offer his respects.

gohawks
11-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Here's the point: I felt that a coach might want to consider allowing the opposing team time to complete their meeting before taking the floor.

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by gohawks
Here's the point: I felt that a coach might want to consider allowing the opposing team time to complete their meeting before taking the floor.

Well can I ask..Did he walk over tell the coach to shut up and then start talking?...Or did he walk over and say Coach may I have a few seconds to commend your kids?

Dont forget Detmer has a team to talk to as well

RoyceTTU
11-22-2010, 04:28 PM
hmmm....if i read this right, the opposing coach came over to console the losing team? If that's the case, even if he does have to interupt the coach, that's some pretty good sportsmanship and far more than most coaches would of probably done. Typically it's a handshake and see-ya, cause they have other things to do such as interviews, talk to players, transportation etc.....

Red&White_9x5
11-22-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm with you Royce. He could have easily said "screw it, we won and I am going to clebrate with my team". Instead he shows great sportsmanship by not only telling the opposing coach good game, but addressing the entire team to congratulate them on a great seaon and a hard fought game. I am amazed that anyone would look down on or criticize this action by Coach Detmer

clhsdad
11-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Seams to me maybe his timing was a little off but sounds like he had the best of intentions and meant no disrepect to our coaching staff. It was a great game our boys gave it everything they had and I am proud of them for that. I for one see nothing wrong with the opposing coaching complimenting them on a great game. I know it is a tough time especially for the seniors I went thru that last year with my son. I think when they look back at this they just might appreciate him taking time to talk with them. Sounds pretty classy to me.

NastySlot
11-22-2010, 04:55 PM
beware of the Hawks next season.....they will be very good.

pirate4state
11-22-2010, 05:59 PM
I guess this was the only "sounding board" he had to voice his grievance to/about Coach Detmer?

I know other coaches post/read our board, but maybe an e-mail (most AD's have their e-mail on the school web site) would have been easier? :D :nerd:

Or not. Interesting.