PDA

View Full Version : t-shirt fans

3afan
11-22-2010, 10:06 AM
"t-shirt" fans is one of the stupidest terms in sports

so you guys who use that term think that you are only allowed to be a "real" fan if you attended the specific university? really?
I grew up right between Waco and Austin ... I went to a SLC school (axe 'em 'Jacks!!!). Am I a 't-shirt' fan if I root for Baylor or UT? or aTm?

Two of my kids went to Tarleton ... am I a t-shirt fan if I root for the Texans? my sister and BinLaw went to UMHB ... does that make me a dreaded "t-shirt fan" if I support the Cru? For you guys who wear Cowboy or Texan t-shirts -- what gives you the right?

You see my point ............... I read in another post where someone threw out the "t-shirt fan" comment and I just don't get it .... Some please explain the requirements ...

thank you and Happy Monday !!!

jason
11-22-2010, 10:08 AM
so are you saying you need t-shirts from barefoot?

themsu97
11-22-2010, 10:08 AM
agreed... so that means that at each level of sport you can root less and less...
so if you went to Paducah high but now live in Canyon Lake since you went to Paducah that you are a tshirt fan of Canyon Lake...
since hardly anyone ever played in the NFL then you are a tshirt fan of the Bills... or the Cavaliers... or the Stars...
stupid term

3afan
11-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by jason
so are you saying you need t-shirts from barefoot?

yes - a TSU shirt !!! nothing crazy - basic colors, XL :D

Rabid Cougar
11-22-2010, 10:48 AM
So long as you have some connection to a team ( living in the community, relatives, friends, long standing support) your good with me. You just don't wear TSU, UMHB or UNT t-shirts because they are "cool".

There are way more UT t-shirt fans than Aggies t-shirt fans though. I went into a Walmart in Tuscaloosa, Alabama recently and there were no Auburn t-shirts to be seen. Go to a Walmart or HEB in Waco... There will be more UT gear than Baylor for sure....

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
So long as you have some connection to a team ( living in the community, relatives, friends, long standing support) your good with me. You just don't wear TSU, UMHB or UNT t-shirts because they are "cool".

There are way more UT t-shirt fans than Aggies t-shirt fans though. I went into a Walmart in Tuscaloosa, Alabama recently and there were no Auburn t-shirts to be seen. Go to a Walmart or HEB in Waco... There will be more UT gear than Baylor for sure....

because right now UT has been better..thru the 80's and 90's A&M shirts were everywhere and UT shirts were harder to find...stores will sale what sells simple as that

NastySlot
11-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
"t-shirt" fans is one of the stupidest terms in sports

so you guys who use that term think that you are only allowed to be a "real" fan if you attended the specific university? really?
I grew up right between Waco and Austin ... I went to a SLC school (axe 'em 'Jacks!!!). Am I a 't-shirt' fan if I root for Baylor or UT? or aTm?

Two of my kids went to Tarleton ... am I a t-shirt fan if I root for the Texans? my sister and BinLaw went to UMHB ... does that make me a dreaded "t-shirt fan" if I support the Cru? For you guys who wear Cowboy or Texan t-shirts -- what gives you the right?

You see my point ............... I read in another post where someone threw out the "t-shirt fan" comment and I just don't get it .... Some please explain the requirements ...

thank you and Happy Monday !!!

I think the term was at one time intended to bash fans who have no school affiliation...through attendence, family or even employment..........and because they don't... can and do change shirts to support a team winning............there are some fans with no affiliation however are loyal no matter............most people think a lot times this is only used when aggies bash horn fans..........but i work with two ou grads who use the word when discribing horn fans.

I think what really bothers fans who follow the university they attended is that they have to listen to these people talk smack about a team they support only cause they are winning at the time...i use to think of those type of people like the ones in high school on monday morning telling you how bad the team sucked and how sorry you are for losing on friday night ....and they don't even play.

hey...im an Aggie...but I guess Im a t-shirt fan ...cause my son works in the OU athletic dept....so he gives me shirts all the time and I even rooted for the Sooners at the Texas/OU game this year....but I don't claim the Sooners as my team..........my daughter will have to make a decision on a University pretty soon...so I might have to sport a TCU or LSU shirt soon if she doesn't get a letter from A&M.

slpybear the bullfan
11-22-2010, 11:20 AM
IMHO,

Most people use T-Shirt fan for three reasons...

1.) they use it interchangeably with the terms "Fair weather fan" to describe people who only root for the latest winners. I don't like that kind of fan either.

2.) they use it to belittle their own team's rival... as in "Yeah, well, those T-Sips have a bunch of T-Shirt fans that make that money for them. At [Tech/A&M/INSERT LETTERS HERE] we have TRUE Fans!" I kind of roll my eyes on this one. If your team is GOOD... then you will get all kinds of people supporting it. Especially in a town like Lubbuck or Austin or Tuscaloosa where no Pro Team plays. When people throw this out there I think... "Jealous much?".

3.) they use it in the I-am-better-than-you-man-I-feel-better-now context. Example, "Yeah, the Longhorns won but at least I went to [Tech/A&M/INSERT LETTERS HERE]! You are just a T-Shirt Fan!" This is my fave of all. If you really feel that way then I will just let it go and not dignify it with a response.

I think fans, TRUE fans of teams could be defined as a person who roots for their team through thick and thin. Good years and bad. Who makes the pilgrimage to the home statdium to watch them play, if they can afford it... who parties at home if they cannot. Who isn't afraid to wear their T-Shirt in bad seasons or into hostile territory. Who actually knows something about their team, other than the colors they wear. Someone who is still mad about that loss a few days/months/years later. And will flash their hands up in a Horns, Gig 'Em, or Guns up to a complete stranger if they notice a faded cap from across the street.

If that kind of fan did or didn't go to school/live there/play there, then that's okay by me.

DDBooger
11-22-2010, 11:34 AM
I send my father and uncles Eskimo Joe shirts and OSU stuff all the time. I've made them t shirt fans. :(

Walked by a tailgate earlier in the year and they were drinking moonshine. This game(Bedlam) being at 7 may be a mistake. :devil:

Saggy Aggie
11-22-2010, 11:46 AM
To me.... t shirt fan = fair weather fans. Its like all the people who were "saints fans" when they won the super bowl. Its annoying. Or the "ranger fans" that never watched a game all season til the alcs.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DDBooger
11-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
To me.... t shirt fan = fair weather fans. Its like all the people who were "saints fans" when they won the super bowl. Its annoying. Or the "ranger fans" that never watched a game all season til the alcs.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: +1 I never knew I had so many Ranger fans as friends till the ALCS! :D

Saints fans too. When I question them I get stories that go back to when they were 5 and remember seeing their first game blahblah. :)

vaquero
11-22-2010, 11:56 AM
I totally agree with the whole "T-Shirt" idea. For the last ten years, everyone in Texas that has no affiliation with a university of some sort has Jumped on the UT bandwagon. Everyone this decade has wanted to be a Longhorn because of the success of the Entire athletic Program. The UT athletic program has been one of the best in the Country wor 10 years or so.

But, I agree, if you have no affiliation with the University, then you are just a t-shirt bandwagon fan. I don't think you should be a die hard fan of a University if you did not attend that University. The difference between college and professional sports is UNIVERSITIES offer an Education, you go to school there, take classes there GRADUATE FROM THERE, spend your money there. There is no way (academically) that you can be a part of a professional organization. Professional Organizations don't have alumni.

Also, the t-shirt fans tend to root for UT for one reason. They have won the last 9-10 yrs. Sorry UT people on here, the campus at UT is in the middle of down town surrounded by Junkies, bums, violence, crime, traffic, pavement, concrete, smog..There is no clear definition where campus starts and ends. Terrible surroundings to spend 4 yrs+ of your life.

And don't refer to a collegiate football team as "we". you are no way involved with the program (unless you do or have been involved i.e. played, coached attended)

The t-shirt people would have jumped on the baylor bandwagon if they were succesful this decade like the Longhorns have been.

Saw a great T-shirt in Aggieland this weekend "If you see a person wearing a Texas A&M shirt, they probably are a student at Texas A&M...If you see a person wearing a UT shirt, they probably got it at wal -mart

Classic

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by vaquero

Saw a great T-shirt in Aggieland this weekend "If you see a person wearing a Texas A&M shirt, they probably are a student at Texas A&M...If you see a person wearing a UT shirt, they probably got it at wal -mart

Classic

Everything you posted was the same in the 80's thru the 90's was the same for A&M..they had all the t-shirt fans while UT was struggling..

And again I will take my 30 years of being a UT fan with no "ties to the University" over someone who was not a fan of a school until they became a student.

DDBooger
11-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Everything you posted was the same in the 80's thru the 90's was the same for A&M..they had all the t-shirt fans while UT was struggling..

And again I will take my 30 years of being a UT fan with no "ties to the University" over someone who was not a fan of a school until they became a student. You got your fandom at Walmart! :D

lol such silly people. Sounds more like most people don't like my school because we haven't been relevant. I realize it has been since the 80s, but I remember a lot more Aggie shirts in the 80s AND 90s than I do UT shirts. Maybe it was a Calallen thing.

slpybear the bullfan
11-22-2010, 12:03 PM

And again I will take my 30 years of being a UT fan with no "ties to the University" over someone who was not a fan of a school until they became a student.

Bingo.

See items 2 and 3 in my post.

slpybear the bullfan
11-22-2010, 12:07 PM
I totally agree with the whole "T-Shirt" idea. For the last ten years, everyone in Texas that has no affiliation with a university of some sort has Jumped on the UT bandwagon. Everyone this decade has wanted to be a Longhorn because of the success of the Entire athletic Program. TheUT athletic program has been one of the best in the Country wor 10 years or so.

But, I agree, if you have no affiliation with the University, then you are just a t-shirt bandwagon fan. I don't think you should be a die hard fan of a University if you did not attend that University. The difference between college and professional sports is UNIVERSITIES offer an Education, you go to school there, take classes there GRADUATE FROM THERE, spend your money there. There is no way (academically) that you can be a part of a professional organization. Professional Organizations don't have alumni.

Also, the t-shirt fans tend to root for UT for one reason. They have won the last 9-10 yrs. Sorry UT people on here, the campus at UT is in the middle of down town surrounded by Junkies, bums, violence, crime, traffic, pavement, concrete, smog..There is no clear definition where campus starts and ends. Terrible surroundings to spend 4 yrs+ of your life.

And don't refer to a collegiate football team as "we". you are no way involved with the program (unless you do or have been involved i.e. played, coached attended)

The t-shirt people would have jumped on the baylor bandwagon if they were succesful this decade like the Longhorns have been.

Classic

Sorry, but as long as the NCAA has such a huge presence on Television, selling tickets to the general public for games, and merchandising items then you will have tons of fans, even die-hard fans for college teams that never attended those schools. Thats how the NCAA wants it.

Saggy Aggie
11-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Exactly, and those were fair weather/ t shirt fans. Those same people are probably tcu/Boise/bama/Oregon fans now. THOSE are t shirt fans.

No one is calling you a t shirt fan if you support UT throughout the last 30 years, good and bad. Bandwagoners are t shirt fans, and UT just happens to have a lot of them because of the recent success.

bwdlionfan
11-22-2010, 12:25 PM

Classic

So how about high school, junior high, and elementary aged kids that wear A&M shirts but have no affiliation to the school?

This is just another reason for A&M to put something about UT on a shirt

bobcat1
11-22-2010, 12:45 PM
So since Celina is out and Dallas has nearly no shot, I can't root for someone else in the playoffs without being a tee shirt fan or a bandwagon jumper?:(

NastySlot
11-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
So since Celina is out and Dallas has nearly no shot, I can't root for someone else in the playoffs without being a tee shirt fan or a bandwagon jumper?:(

you can do what ever you want.

Keith7
11-22-2010, 01:00 PM
t-shirt fans are a bunch of cry baby wannabes who ride whatever coattail will make them feel better.. Lets face it 80% of the "college football fans" are t-shirt fans and that is esp. true on the 3adownlow..

To those t-shirt fans: Wow you are so cool! You picked the school that is winning at this time! I'm proud of you. You are a great fan to jump on that bandwagon and you have lots to be proud of. You must have really suffered through all those down year, way to stay by your team.. oh wait :doh:

DDBooger
11-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
t-shirt fans are a bunch of cry baby wannabes who ride whatever coattail will make them feel better.. Lets face it 80% of the "college football fans" are t-shirt fans and that is esp. true on the 3adownlow..

To those t-shirt fans: Wow you are so cool! You picked the school that is winning at this time! I'm proud of you. You are a great fan to jump on that bandwagon and you have lots to be proud of. You must have really suffered through all those down year, way to stay by your team.. oh wait :doh: lol :stirpot:

LH Panther Mom
11-22-2010, 01:25 PM
To those t-shirt fans: Wow you are so cool! You picked the school that is winning at this time! I'm proud of you.
Hey, I've been a Texas Tech fan for the majority of my 51 years. :tongue: :tongue: :p

GrTigers6
11-22-2010, 01:33 PM
I started watching the Aggies when they I was in elementary in the 80's. I have followed them most of the time since. I will admit I havent watched every game mostly due to lack of television coverage. but I still want to know how they do each and every week. However I still support other teams when they are doing well and the aggies arent. When Texas won in 05 I still rooted for A&M until the season was over and I new texas was in the NC. I rooted for Tech when the beat texas in 08. ( My Daughter was a student at the time). I will root for TCU if they get into the NC.
I root for any texas team that has a chance after I know A&M is done.
If you buy merchandise for a school you are giving money for that school so dont say your not an "official" supporter.

RoyceTTU
11-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Hey, I've been a Texas Tech fan for the majority of my 51 years. :tongue: :tongue: :p

LHPM - Tech welcomes any fans. Only a bunch of cry-baby schools would deter anyone from being a fan wheather it be T-shirt or bandwagon.

Good teams draw attention, and in sports, attention typically means winning.

I went to college at Tech and root them on through thick and thin, and I guess you can call me a TCU T-shirt fan because as of 2 years ago I started seeing the potential.

NastySlot
11-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
LHPM - I guess you can call me a TCU T-shirt fan because as of 2 years ago I started seeing the potential.

ok you are a t-shirt fan.....

LH Panther Mom
11-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
LHPM - Tech welcomes any fans. Only a bunch of cry-baby schools would deter anyone from being a fan wheather it be T-shirt or bandwagon.

Good teams draw attention, and in sports, attention typically means winning.

I went to college at Tech and root them on through thick and thin, and I guess you can call me a TCU T-shirt fan because as of 2 years ago I started seeing the potential.
I didn't attend Tech but I figure if I can cheer for them through Dockery, Moore & McWilliams, then I count as a real fan. :D

NastySlot
11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I didn't attend Tech but I figure if I can cheer for them through Dockery, Moore & McWilliams, then I count as a real fan. :D

whata about the Spike years?

LH Panther Mom
11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
whata about the Spike years?
Those were "good" years. The others, not so much...

Lots of people find it easy to cheer for a team (at ANY level) when they're winning. Those fans (at ANY level) that stick with a team through the lean (or in McWilliams case, pissed off!) years are the ones that (should) count.

Emerson1
11-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I haven't missed a Texas game all season. I'm not just a t-shirt fan, I have Texas pajama pants too.

RoyceTTU
11-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I haven't missed a Texas game all season. I'm not just a t-shirt fan, I have Texas pajama pants too.

I thought you seemed a little weird Friday Night but didn't want to say anything :doh: any how, it was nice meeting you :D

slpybear the bullfan
11-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Off Topic Emerson... just where did you get those Chili Cheese nachos or fries or whatever those are in your Avatar Pic?

BullsFan
11-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Anyone who is still a Texas fan this year cannot possible be just a "band-waggoner". And for the life of me I cannot figure out why the idea of tshirt fans enrages some people so, unless it's that their school doesn't have any.

NastySlot
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Anyone who is still a Texas fan this year cannot possible be just a "band-waggoner". And for the life of me I cannot figure out why the idea of tshirt fans enrages some people so, unless it's that their school doesn't have any.

smack talk shirt or no shirt....enrages most people usually.

vaquero
11-22-2010, 02:42 PM
I've always been an Aggie fan. When I was in high school I made one trip to Austin, one was enough. Living in that town would drive a person from the country/small town absolutelty crazy. There are cities, and then there is Austin.

BullsFan
11-22-2010, 02:45 PM
smack talk shirt or no shirt....enrages most people usually.

Huh?

I'm not a smack talker, and yet got attacked for posting about how much I was enjoying being at the Big 12 championship game last year.

themsu97
11-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I've always been an Aggie fan. When I was in high school I made one trip to Austin, one was enough. Living in that town would drive a person from the country/small town absolutelty crazy. There are cities, and then there is Austin.
that is your opinion and thought... I went to LUbbock and thought it was an absolute he!!hole... but have students who go there and love it...
I am a tshirt fan... every former athlete of mine who plays for a college I root for that team and for them... I have a closet full of tshirts from various colleges and wear them but I only get them if my student gets them for me...
really don't care for the people who call you that anyone, they are the ones with the problem...
I wore ATM shirts growing up since my brother went there and partied there a couple of dozen times... but if were just to go and want to hang out, would not go to College Station, Austin is much better but San Marcos is right behind ...

Emerson1
11-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Off Topic Emerson... just where did you get those Chili Cheese nachos or fries or whatever those are in your Avatar Pic?
Super Bowl Nachos from my last trip to Texas Stadium.

oldtownag
11-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Ok, once an for all here is the oldtownag dictionary definition:

T-shirt Fan - A fair weather fan who's only connection to the team they support is the "T-shirt" they bought and the recent success of that team. Attributes of "T-Shirt" fans often include smack talk with rivals and quick abandonment of their team and gear when things don't go so well.

Note: If you are offended by this term you probably are one.

NastySlot
11-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Huh?

I'm not a smack talker, and yet got attacked for posting about how much I was enjoying being at the Big 12 championship game last year.

no no I wasn't calling you a smack talker....sorry for the misunderstand.

slpybear the bullfan
11-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Super Bowl Nachos from my last trip to Texas Stadium.

MMMMMmmmmmm... My only complaint about those were that after 9/11 you couldn't get a fork to eat them with.

sinton66
11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
All college threads are right on the verge of being banned on this board AGAIN. Stop with the bashing crap.

Emerson1
11-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
MMMMMmmmmmm... My only complaint about those were that after 9/11 you couldn't get a fork to eat them with.
They have plastic forks at cowboys stadium. If you go make sure you go to the nacho stand and not the concession stands that have the other stuff.

Rabid Cougar
11-22-2010, 06:19 PM

What the hell? Editing my post it is freaking "texas university" tu for short .. GET OVER IT!

Keith7
11-22-2010, 06:59 PM
What the hell? Editing my post it is freaking "texas university" tu for short .. GET OVER IT!

This is true.. UT would be short for Tennessee.. The University of Texas at Austin should actually be abbreviated UTA

SintonFan_inAustin
11-22-2010, 07:03 PM
This is true.. UT would be short for Tennessee.. The University of Texas at Austin should actually be abbreviated UTA isnt that Unversity of Texas at Arlington? or i'm just making that up :D

squid
11-22-2010, 07:08 PM
This is true.. UT would be short for Tennessee.. The University of Texas at Austin should actually be abbreviated UTA

Most Texas alums I know would rather their school be called 'Texas' than 'UT' anyway.

And why care if folks call you a t-shirt? I've been a Texas fan since the early 60's. I couldnt care less if you like that or not. But then, when I'm referring to Texas I dont use terms like 'we' or 'us'. Its OK to be fan, just dont act like you went to school there if you dont even have 1 credit hour.

BullsFan
11-22-2010, 11:35 PM
no no I wasn't calling you a smack talker....sorry for the misunderstand.

No, my mistake. I actually got my feelings hurt over getting attacked in my own FB at the championship game, and I think I'm probably overly sensitive about the whole issue of being a tshirt fan.

(disclaimer: as a female-type I'm perfectly happy owning up to having feelings. I'm girly, not a girly-man. I feel like I have to add that due to certain events earlier this season. Lol)

Keith7
11-23-2010, 03:14 AM
No, my mistake. I actually got my feelings hurt over getting attacked in my own FB at the championship game, and I think I'm probably overly sensitive about the whole issue of being a tshirt fan.

(disclaimer: as a female-type I'm perfectly happy owning up to having feelings. I'm girly, not a girly-man. I feel like I have to add that due to certain events earlier this season. Lol)
http://thegentlemensblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/cool-story-bro.jpg

slpybear the bullfan
11-23-2010, 09:53 AM

BULLSFAN IS A CHICK?!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

And I can testify; She is girly and has feelings.

BullsFan
11-23-2010, 10:47 AM
And as a graduate of UNT, it's not like I ever have anything to cheer for there.

That one was for you, Keith.

Bullaholic
11-23-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm still simplistic in my view of this t-shirt fan debate. If someone wears anything with a team name or player on it-- they are a fan of that team or player, period. Now, you true-fan diehards may submit pics of yourselves sitting in the stands in the rain, snow, or temps below 32 degrees, or at least (4) pics of yourselves standing beside the scoreboard showing the final score where your team lost, for consideration for martyrdom. I realize the losing pic requirement will be much easier for some than others. :D

DaHop72
11-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Isn't there a difference in being a t-shirt fan and just supporting another team after you team loses? Most fans support their team and then their district, why should that be an issue if your team is out of the playoffs?

3afan
11-23-2010, 11:08 AM
really, at least in this forum, one specific
team's fans are the ones to always throw
out the 't-shirt fan' comment ...

now why is that?

DDBooger
11-23-2010, 11:09 AM

now why is that? :thinking:

NastySlot
11-23-2010, 11:16 AM

now why is that?

it probably goes back to smack talk......said it before having to listen to people who didn't attend the university they support bash the one you did....will fire people up....and looks like the term t-shirt....works as a pretty good comeback or we wouldn't have this topic/thread................also have said it...it's like when in high school listening to people talk smack in class about the way you played or the team losses and the guy doing the smack talk didn't even play.

i have no problem and lose no sleep over people supporting a team...even if they didn't attend....and I don't feel I am a better fan or person for having attended the school I support....win or lose I will support my team....but be ready for some banter.....if I have to take it.