PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy question

Buckeye1980
11-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Cowboys are now 3-7. Do not know how much longer Romo is projected to be out. Let's say he is out 4 more games and Cowboys win all 4 ...what happens when is ready to play?

OK , if Kitna keeps playing and Cowboys some how win out and go 9-7 and make playoffs...and heavan forbid go to Super Bowl ...what happens next year with Kitna?

(For the record, I am NOT a big Cowboy fan and I do NOT think it will happen!)

SintonFan_inAustin
11-21-2010, 08:20 PM
i dont think 9-7 would put them in and very unlikely they can run off a win streak like that with the opponents left. But it would be great if they can finish strong and atleast finish with a better record than the Texans!:D

TheDOCTORdre
11-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
Cowboys are now 3-7. Do not know how much longer Romo is projected to be out. Let's say he is out 4 more games and Cowboys win all 4 ...what happens when is ready to play?

OK , if Kitna keeps playing and Cowboys some how win out and go 9-7 and make playoffs...and heavan forbid go to Super Bowl ...what happens next year with Kitna?

Romo is supposed to be having an x-ray sometime this week from what I heard during pre gamee, and depending on the results Romo could be put on IR and be done for the season...

sinton66
11-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Even if they run the table for the rest of the games, they'd need some help to make it in as a wild card. The next three games will tell a lot about running the table.

crzyjournalist03
11-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980

Playing along with your hypothetical situation, if all of that happens...

Kitna either retires or returns as the backup.

Kitna is no Matt Cassel, Tom Brady, Wally Pip...he's an aging veteran who is a suitable backup.

Farmersfan
11-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Playing along with your hypothetical situation, if all of that happens...

Kitna either retires or returns as the backup.

Kitna is no Matt Cassel, Tom Brady, Wally Pip...he's an aging veteran who is a suitable backup.

I don't think Kitna gives the offense the brief flashes of total brillance that Romo does but he also seems to recognize and adjust much better than Romo does! It is unfortunate he is 105 years old or I would call for him as a replacement for Romo! In his 3 starts this season he has 2 games with a QB rating over 120. Romo averages 2 for every 16 game season! And it seems to me the players respond so much better to Kitna! What will it mean if Kitna continues to win and then the team starts losing again when Romo returns????? :D :D

themsu97
11-22-2010, 10:10 AM
what about what they were saying yesterday that the Cowboys will not receive a Rooney rule exemption...
so if Jason Garrett were to go 8-0 and lead teh Boys to 9-7, then they get into the playoffs and lets say that the Boys win the Super Bowl... so Jones has to interview a minority for just a token interview? crazy...

bobcat1
11-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I don't think Kitna gives the offense the brief flashes of total brillance that Romo does but he also seems to recognize and adjust much better than Romo does! In his 3 starts this season he has 2 games with a QB rating over 120. Romo averages 2 for every 16 game season! And it seems to me the players respond so much better to Kitna! :D :D They respond better to him because he plays with passion and gives his best every play. Romo has more talent but Kitna has more heart. I have always said heart wins out over talent in my book. I have seen and played with those that have both and they are special. Most have one or the other. Heart wins out as long as the talent level is within reason.

crzyjournalist03
11-22-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't think Kitna gives the offense the brief flashes of total brillance that Romo does but he also seems to recognize and adjust much better than Romo does! It is unfortunate he is 105 years old or I would call for him as a replacement for Romo! In his 3 starts this season he has 2 games with a QB rating over 120. Romo averages 2 for every 16 game season! And it seems to me the players respond so much better to Kitna! What will it mean if Kitna continues to win and then the team starts losing again when Romo returns????? :D :D

The short touchdown passes really skewed Kitna's numbers and rating yesterday. He was mediocre. I actually think he's been pretty poor at making adjustments. I never saw him look at both sides of the field during a play once yesterday.

I don't know how you can say the team seems to respond to him better when they went out and fell apart against the Giants after having a comfortable lead, then didn't even try against the Packers. I think that the team's attitude improvement has far more to do with the head coach than the quarterback.

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2010, 10:23 AM

Kitna has started 4 games..two games his ratings were under 65...two they were over 120

Amazes me how some are now claiming how much leadership Kitna shows and so on..where was that leadership when Dallas was playing the worst 2 1/2 games of the season and possibly last 5 years?...The difference is the change in HC..since then the team has played better

Macarthur
11-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I knew this was going to start.

Kitna has done well, but let's not forget he's well below .500 as a player and has the same number of INTs and TDs for his career.

If I'm Romo, I'm pissed at the OL because they have actually decided to give the QB some time.

Kitna is a good backup and he has probably earned the right to come back next year, but he is not going to go out for 16 games and put you in position to make the playoffs.

GrTigers6
11-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Yeah, I knew this was going to start.

Kitna has done well, but let's not forget he's well below .500 as a player and has the same number of INTs and TDs for his career.

If I'm Romo, I'm pissed at the OL because they have actually decided to give the QB some time.

Kitna is a good backup and he has probably earned the right to come back next year, but he is not going to go out for 16 games and put you in position to make the playoffs. We will be lucky if he holds out the remainder of the time that Romo is out

Macarthur
11-22-2010, 12:06 PM
AND, don't forget that Romo was in the top 2 or 3 of passer rating when he went down.

The Romo hate continues to confound me.

Farmersfan
11-22-2010, 01:19 PM
AND, don't forget that Romo was in the top 2 or 3 of passer rating when he went down.

The Romo hate continues to confound me.

Actually it's the Romo LOVE that confounds me!
(He was good, but not great)

Romo was ranked #10 in the league in QB rating! And the constant excuse making is getting really old. Romo was sacked an average of 1.1 times a game which qualifies him as one of the least sacked QBs in the league! With such a horrible O-line you would think that sack total would have been much worst!
Romo was sacked 7 times in 6 games.

Jay Cutler has been sacked 33 times.
Donavan McNabb has been sacked 27 times.
D. Andersen=23 times
M. Hasselback=23 times
J. Campbell=23 times

And by the way: John Kitna has been sacked 11 times in 5 games and has managed basically the same number of TDs and ints!!!!
(and 1 more win)

LH Panther Mom
11-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Maybe they don't like Romo. ;)

Farmersfan
11-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Maybe they don't like Romo. ;)

Just a gut feeling but I think Romo is the Wade Philips of the players! They look at him as the spoiled kid that has never done anything and got his NFL chance only after the talent level reached the point that even a old, near retired, hasn't started in over 2 years, has-been, mentally cripled backup QB can essentually put up the same numbers. If Kitna can do it with this talent just think what a GREAT QB could do!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

STANG RED
11-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I doubt 9-7 will get them the wild card, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. Either way, they have to play the remaining schedule like they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I loved the bootleg that nobody saw coming. Don’t know who made that call, but it sure made them look brilliant. Keep doing a few off the wall things like that, and just playing lights out football, just might let the boys sneak in the backdoor. After that anything can happen. Still don’t think they'll even go 9-7, or that it would get them in anyway. But I'll keep my fingers crossed. Bet they’d be the odds on favorite to win it all, if they do manage to make the miracle happen by winning out.

Macarthur
11-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Actually it's the Romo LOVE that confounds me!
(He was good, but not great)

Romo was ranked #10 in the league in QB rating! And the constant excuse making is getting really old.

That is not true. I just went through the stats on NFL.com He was the 5th ranked passer as of week 7 when he got injured. Only Vick (very few attemtps at that point), Rivers and Brady and Manning was better, at that point.

Romo was sacked an average of 1.1 times a game which qualifies him as one of the least sacked QBs in the league! With such a horrible O-line you would think that sack total would have been much worst!
Romo was sacked 7 times in 6 games.

Romo's ellusivness masks the troubles of the OL.

Jay Cutler has been sacked 33 times.
Donavan McNabb has been sacked 27 times.
D. Andersen=23 times
M. Hasselback=23 times
J. Campbell=23 times

Every single one of those guys are either statues or guys that notoriously hold on to the ball too long.

And by the way: John Kitna has been sacked 11 times in 5 games and has managed basically the same number of TDs and ints!!!!

So are you telling me that Kitna is better than Romo?

And in my research, I found another interesting article for you. This shows that Romo is one of the better QBs in the league when the point differential is less than 10 points. For those of you that don't understand that, it means that when the games are close and tight in the 4th quarter, he's good. :)

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/n-f-l-quarterback-statistics-in-close-games/
(and 1 more win)

LH Panther Mom
11-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Just a gut feeling but I think Romo is the Wade Philips of the players! They look at him as the spoiled kid that has never done anything and got his NFL chance only after the talent level reached the point that even a old, near retired, hasn't started in over 2 years, has-been, mentally cripled backup QB can essentually put up the same numbers. If Kitna can do it with this talent just think what a GREAT QB could do!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D
I'm not sure my thoughts are that drastic! :D

Bullaholic
11-22-2010, 02:13 PM
I think Romo will return in Dec. and do just great playing with the newly-resurrected and rejuvenated Cowboys---probably better than he has ever done. Kitna is doing a good relief job, but I haven't seen him do anything that Romo could not do possibly even better, given the protection given in the last 2 games. If he returns and throws a lot of picks and/or misses a ton of wide-open receivers, then we'll have an answer as to whether Romo is a problem, or not.

Farmersfan
11-22-2010, 02:24 PM
That is not true. I just went through the stats on NFL.com He was the 5th ranked passer as of week 7 when he got injured. Only Vick (very few attemtps at that point), Rivers and Brady and Manning was better, at that point.

Romo's ellusivness masks the troubles of the OL.

Every single one of those guys are either statues or guys that notoriously hold on to the ball too long.

So are you telling me that Kitna is better than Romo?

And in my research, I found another interesting article for you. This shows that Romo is one of the better QBs in the league when the point differential is less than 10 points. For those of you that don't understand that, it means that when the games are close and tight in the 4th quarter, he's good. :)

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/n-f-l-quarterback-statistics-in-close-games/
(and 1 more win)

The whole point that I have been making for years now is that although Romo is pretty good, he is good because of the team he plays for!!!!!!!! The Cowboys have been one of the most talented teams in the NFL his entire career! J. Kitna is a below average QB his entire career with Seattle, Detroit and Cincinnati when he was in his prime. He comes into Dallas as a old back up and basically puts up the same numbers as Romo does! So far anyway! If he continues to put up equal numbers to Romo then I say my original point is proven. A ton of QBs from this league would have been just as good as Romo with this talented team......................
But people STILL are making Romo excuses. All I will say further is that I hope beyond hope that Kitna doesn't lead this team to a winning record in the second half of the season because when Dallas gives the starting job back to Romo it will open up a whole new can of worms............................and there is enough worms in Dallas these days!

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
J. Kitna is a below average QB his entire career with Seattle, Detroit and Cincinnati when he was in his prime. He comes into Dallas as a old back up and basically puts up the same numbers as Romo does! So far anyway! If he continues to put up equal numbers to Romo then I say my original point is proven. A ton of QBs from this league would have been just as good as Romo with this talented team......................
!

Kitna has played well in 2 of the 4 1/2 games he has played in..he was TERRIBLE agianst Jags and GB..So no he has not put up the same type of numbers Romo in every game.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-22-2010, 03:01 PM
The whole point that I have been making for years now is that although Romo is pretty good, he is good because of the team he plays for!!!!!!!! The Cowboys have been one of the most talented teams in the NFL his entire career! J. Kitna is a below average QB his entire career with Seattle, Detroit and Cincinnati when he was in his prime. He comes into Dallas as a old back up and basically puts up the same numbers as Romo does! So far anyway! If he continues to put up equal numbers to Romo then I say my original point is proven. A ton of QBs from this league would have been just as good as Romo with this talented team......................
But people STILL are making Romo excuses. All I will say further is that I hope beyond hope that Kitna doesn't lead this team to a winning record in the second half of the season because when Dallas gives the starting job back to Romo it will open up a whole new can of worms............................and there is enough worms in Dallas these days! But can Kitna win a playoff game :) That had been the knock on Romo til last year. Very unlikely Kitna gets a chance with Dallas. I still think the Burnet Bulldog QB should get some playing time this season once they're out of the playoffs offically.

11TARPON
11-22-2010, 03:21 PM
If the Titans release Young like some (experts) are saying, should the Cowboys go after him in case Romo is out for the rest of the year and Kitna gets hurt? McGee is not a quarterback to lead the team anywhere, one OK drive during all the opportunities he got during the preseason and the Cowboys kept him on the roster. Every good team needs a dependable backup when needed.

Macarthur
11-22-2010, 03:53 PM
But people STILL are making Romo excuses. All I will say further is that I hope beyond hope that Kitna doesn't lead this team to a winning record in the second half of the season because when Dallas gives the starting job back to Romo it will open up a whole new can of worms............................and there is enough worms in Dallas these days!

I told myself last season that I was going to stop doing this with you because you make my head explode.

Farmersfan
11-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Kitna has played well in 2 of the 4 1/2 games he has played in..he was TERRIBLE agianst Jags and GB..So no he has not put up the same type of numbers Romo in every game.

And Romo played "TERRIBLE" against the Bears and Titans!!!!!

Kitna has a season QB rating of 89
Romo has a season QB rating of 94.

Romo has a 69% completion ratio
Kitna has a 64% completion ratio

Romo has 11 TDs and 7 ints
Kitna has 10 TDs and 7 ints

Romo has 1 victory
Kitna has 2 victories

Romo averaged 267 yards a game
Kitna averages 244 yards a game.

And this is with Kitna playing at least 2 1/2 games with a team that had QUIT according to you!!! Simply stop making excuses for Romo! Kitna isn't as athletic as Romo is but Kitna has a better arm and in my opinion reads the defense better. Besides, Kitna gets a head start because he's older than YOU ARE!!!!!! :D

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2010, 04:14 PM

Romo has 1 victory
Kitna has 2 victories

And this is with Kitna playing at least 2 1/2 games with a team that had QUIT according to you!!! Simply stop making excuses for Romo! Kitna isn't as athletic as Romo is but Kitna has a better arm and in my opinion reads the defense better. Besides, Kitna gets a head start because he's older than YOU ARE!!!!!! :D

ok lets compare Romo's bad games this year

Bears 78 Rating
Titans 89.6 rating

Kitna
Jags 64 rating
GNB 63 rating

Again Kitna has had one great game and one good game..that is all

GrTigers6
11-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Romo has 1 victory
Kitna has 2 victories

And this is with Kitna playing at least 2 1/2 games with a team that had QUIT according to you!!! Simply stop making excuses for Romo! Kitna isn't as athletic as Romo is but Kitna has a better arm and in my opinion reads the defense better. Besides, Kitna gets a head start because he's older than YOU ARE!!!!!! :D You cant make that comparision because the whole team had no motivation all year. Lets wait and see what Romo does with a motivated team. Maybe this year or maybe next. whenever he comes back.
Thats about as dumb as comparing the 83 dangerfield team to this years lions team. You cant compare things with so many variables. Teams they played, weather,facilities, Turf now, mostly grass then. All these factors plus more come into play

Farmersfan
11-22-2010, 04:42 PM
I told myself last season that I was going to stop doing this with you because you make my head explode.

If it weren't for our debates on here I wouldn't visit the site! Reading about the greatness of Brownwood all day long is about as boring as it gets. I enjoy the back and forth! And it will be so much more special for me when you finally see that I have been right all along. :D :D :D

When that day comes I would like someone to go over to TX's house and sit with him! That will be a bad day in the TXbroadcaster household!!!!

crzyjournalist03
11-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Small increments in some statistics are actually a huge difference.

The difference in QB rating? Tony Romo is between Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning for the season. John Kitna is between Matt Schaub and Eli Manning.

Romo's completion percentage ties him with Drew Brees for#1 in the NFL. John Kitna's puts him behind Chad Henne and Kevin Kolb.

Pretty substantial differences despite the numbers looking "similar".

If you want to take it as far as a "like" comparison, John Kitna's completion percentage is almost as close to being as bad as Matt Moore's as it is to being as good as Tony Romo's, and his QB rating is as close to as bad as Jay Cutler's as it is to as good as Tony Romo's.

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2010, 04:50 PM
If it weren't for our debates on here I wouldn't visit the site! Reading about the greatness of Brownwood all day long is about as boring as it gets. I enjoy the back and forth! And it will be so much more special for me when you finally see that I have been right all along. :D :D :D

When that day comes I would like someone to go over to TX's house and sit with him! That will be a bad day in the TXbroadcaster household!!!!

LOL funny..what exactly will you be "right" on? I have never proclaimed that Romo would lead Dallas to a SB or anything even close to saying that..All I have ever said is he is a better QB than you give him credit for.

Farmersfan
11-22-2010, 04:52 PM
ok lets compare Romo's bad games this year

Bears 78 Rating
Titans 89.6 rating

Kitna
Jags 64 rating
GNB 63 rating

Again Kitna has had one great game and one good game..that is all

FLIP FLOP! FLIP FLOP!

According to you this team didn't quit until AFTER Romo went out! So Kitna had a 64 and 63 rating in games that the other players quit in? Also according to you they had not quit before! Romo had a 29 rating, 67 rating and a 69 rating in games last season!!!!
He also had a 72, 44 and a 55 rating in 3 different games in 08'. all these were while this team was motivated and in contention for a title........................

FLIP FLOP! FLIP FLOP! :D

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2010, 04:57 PM
FLIP FLOP! FLIP FLOP!

According to you this team didn't quit until AFTER Romo went out! So Kitna had a 64 and 63 rating in games that the other players quit in? Also according to you they had not quit before! Romo had a 29 rating, 67 rating and a 69 rating in games last season!!!!
He also had a 72, 44 and a 55 rating in 3 different games in 08'. all these were while this team was motivated and in contention for a title........................

FLIP FLOP! FLIP FLOP! :D

again please where have I flip flopped?...DUH Romo has had bad games....and?

My point is those trying to say after 4 games where Kitna was terrible in 2, great in 1 and good in another is better than Romo or just as good as Romo are wrong

And I think the whole quitting thing honestly was more on the D than the offense.

Bullaholic
11-22-2010, 05:04 PM

My point is those trying to say after 4 games where Kitna was terrible in 2, great in 1 and good in another is better than Romo or just as good as Romo are wrong

And I think the whole quitting thing honestly was more on the D than the offense.

Indy should bench Peyton for losing the game yesterday, TxB....:D

SintonFan
11-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think Romo will return in Dec. and do just great playing with the newly-resurrected and rejuvenated Cowboys---probably better than he has ever done. Kitna is doing a good relief job, but I haven't seen him do anything that Romo could not do possibly even better, given the protection given in the last 2 games. If he returns and throws a lot of picks and/or misses a ton of wide-open receivers, then we'll have an answer as to whether Romo is a problem, or not.

That sounds reasonable.

Farmersfan
11-23-2010, 09:16 AM

The numbers for Kitna and Romo this season are almost identical! Nobody ever said Kitna was better than Romo or even as good as Romo! the point was that "IF" Kitna can put up identical numbers as Romo did then isn't it also apparent that perhaps Romo's numbers are the result of the team around him rather than his own ability???? If a sub .500 never-was, old man QB can match Romo's production then I think it reflects MORE on Romo than it does on the backup! There IS a reason this team has underachieved for 4 years! I agree with ALL the other reasons but I have not shyed away from making it known that I believe Romo is also a big reason for it. For 2 years now I have been telling you that Romo ONLY became able to QB for this team after they loaded the team with talent. How long does Kitna need to contunue to produce at Romo's level before the proof can't be denied in your mind?

3afan
11-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by 11TARPON
If the Titans release Young like some (experts) are saying, should the Cowboys go after him in case Romo is out for the rest of the year and Kitna gets hurt? McGee is not a quarterback to lead the team anywhere, one OK drive during all the opportunities he got during the preseason and the Cowboys kept him on the roster. Every good team needs a dependable backup when needed.

NO!!! McGee over VY any day!!!

The Cowboys don't need the "VY show" ... yes VY was one of the greates college football players ever ... but IMO he's an NFL bust and a head case ... pass

Txbroadcaster
11-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
NO!!! McGee over VY any day!!!

The Cowboys don't need the "VY show" ... yes VY was one of the greates college football players ever ... but IMO he's an NFL bust and a head case ... pass

he might be a head case( i think immature is a better term) but the dude is 30-17 as a starter

Everyone claims that wins are all that matter well VY has won in the NFL

themsu97
11-23-2010, 10:57 AM
the main reason the Boys are playing better is that Jerrah let them know that all their jobs are on the line... motivation runs deep if you know you may not get a paycheck...