PDA

View Full Version : Region II Week 13 GotW: Argyle (12-0) vs. Gilmer (9-3)

poisoned10
11-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Gilmer Buckeyes vs. Argyle Eagles
Saturday, 2 PM
Lion Memorial Stadium, Ennis

Who does everyone think will win? I really don't know anything about Argyle except that they are undefeated and have been very good the last few years.

Please fill us who are uninformed about Argyle.

I'll be doing some of my own research since I don't like watching a team I know nothing about.

defense51
11-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Argyle is solid with few if any weaknesses, they are firing on all cylinders right now. Gilmer knows how to play and how to win in the playoffs, this should be an excellent game, but Argyle pulls this one out by 7-10.

firstdown
11-21-2010, 11:05 AM
I trade info with you because I don't know squat about Gilmer other than they seem to be good every year.

Argyle runs the spread. 50/50 pass/run. Very good at both. Defense is very solid. Lock down corners and lots of speed across the board. Very well coached but I would suspect that all teams left playing now are also. How about your Buckeyes?

charlesrixey
11-21-2010, 12:48 PM
6 of the top 7 teams in Region II will duke it out in Division II in the next two weeks. This looks to be the best of the matchups this week, with Argyle trying to get over the hump from last year (week 13) against another east texas team (Pleasant Grove last year). Their task will be tall as they try to knock out a defending champion in Gilmer. And the possibility exists that they could have to do it twice in a row, even if they win.

MesquiteFan
11-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Haven't seen Gilmer, but give me the Eagles in this one. Too much defense and a good running back. I think it could be the Eagles against Madison in an all-DFW regional final.

Gilmer is probably pretty hungry to get to that final and get another shot at Carthage but Argyle will be too much in the end.

Aesculus gilmus
11-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by firstdown
I trade info with you because I don't know squat about Gilmer other than they seem to be good every year.

Argyle runs the spread. 50/50 pass/run. Very good at both. Defense is very solid. Lock down corners and lots of speed across the board. Very well coached but I would suspect that all teams left playing now are also. How about your Buckeyes?

Gilmer runs more than one would think, given its reputation as a big play offense. Basically, the Buckeyes will take what the defense gives them. This year's offense is "down" from some years, including last year, but most people would be able to live with 42 points per game.

A lot of reserves came in on defense in the third quarter and that's one reason it appeared Van might make a game of it. But I wouldn't call the defense Gilmer's strength this year. It is ALWAYS overshadowed by the offense, and this season that is even more the case. It doesn't mean Gilmer can't win Saturday, though. I've learned never to count the Buckeyes out.

Txbroadcaster
11-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Saw both team this year

They match up well..I really like Argyle's offense..the balance they have is awesome..Lowry is a beast...now I would not call Argyle physical..alot of their run game is based on misdirection counter style plays and so on...I think Argyle's QB is underrated and their TE Bossow is a weapon.

Gilmer is of course Gilmer..not as many OMG studs as in the past, but they are deceptive in their talent..I like the speed on D and they might cause some problems because they can react to the Argyle misdirection running game.

Charlie47
11-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Argyle= Too much of everything!:)

lulu
11-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Buckeyes have to strap up tight this game. Everyone has to bring on their A game to win this one. I'll be pulling for you guys. Represent our district well.
Play "lights out"

Go Bucs

Pawdaddy
11-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Three weeks into the playoffs and every team is good. Most people will look at this match up and pick Argyle because of record, rating, etc. However, the "District of Doom" has produced a character in this Gilmer squad that cannot be figured into a "mine vs. yours" comparison. This team has played thru more adversity than Gilmer teams in the past and are still trading punches with the best. They have lost All-State players for the year, been without starters for weeks at a time, and continue to find ways to improve. Now, most of the team is healthy, leaders have emerged, and the "team" has become one. The coaching staff may be the best at playing to what the other team gives you and exploiting weaknesses other teams cannot hide. Expect a steady, methodical offensive approach with a few tests of how fast the Argyle DB's are deep. Expect some pop coming from an "undersized" defensive unit that will know and execute the defensive scheme put together by the coaches. This Buckeye team has been underestimated and overlooked by pollsters this year since the Tatum game. Now, many very good teams are moving on to round ball and Gilmer is still suiting up. This game could go either way. Any game at this time of year can. But it will be competitive. I expect the tough schedule and adversity that has been overcome by this team will carry it another week. Gilmer by 7-10 points.

bobcat1
11-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Gonna go with our friends to the west. Get 'em Argyle!

BullBoy
11-21-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm gonna go with the team that Bridgeport used to play every year.

GO ARGYLE!!! :cheerl: :cheerl:

buckeyebob
11-21-2010, 06:05 PM
PAWDADDY has it right.
A friend of mine that is a Carthage grad. came to see us against Atlanta (1st game of the year). Said our defense was tiny & would not make squat. The Tiny Defense was born...who would have thought that a 5'10', 160 lb Defensive Tackle would open up a can of Whup Ass on a 6'8", 380 lb Offensive Tackle in two separate games. Just ask Liberty Eylua. The Buckeyes have not shown just how good they are...they have defeated several teams this year that were actually better than they are. So Argyle may well be a better team...but the Bucks are expert East Texas Football Players...They just get it done. It will be a slobber knocker.

firstdown
11-21-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure who the better teams is. That we will find out on Saturday. What I can tell you is that Argyle will show up and play. The boys learned a lot last year about reading the press and believing everything written. Rankings/polls all that stuff... is just talking points for parents and fans and don't mean diddly.

12 down 4 to go.

Argyle by 14.

Buckeye1980
11-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Gilmer is ...well, Gilmer. Maybe not as talented as years past but a very improving team that may surprise someone. The only "someone" left for now is Argyle.

Argyle- do not know much other that they are very well coached , talented team. Spread team , run/pass ratio about 50/50, quick agressive defense....... Sounds to me alot like what people were saying about Abilene Wylie last year

not gonna pick a winner but hard not think the Buckeyes will find someway to pull it out. This Buckeye team has grown so much in the last year. This will be a great contest of two fine high school football programs.

44INAROW
11-21-2010, 08:38 PM
I have no idea who's gonna win, but I hope the Buckeyes come out on top...;)

firstdown
11-21-2010, 08:42 PM
What's a buckeye?

Tin Cup
11-21-2010, 08:42 PM
I gotta admit after seeing Celina blowout Sanger only to lose the next week makes me wonder about argyles secondary. Haven't seen you play and don't pretend to know much about either but I'll say

Gilmer 41
Argyle 35

poisoned10
11-21-2010, 08:45 PM
What's a buckeye?

It is a poisonous nut.

MesquiteFan
11-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
I gotta admit after seeing Celina blowout Sanger only to lose the next week makes me wonder about argyles secondary. Haven't seen you play and don't pretend to know much about either but I'll say

Gilmer 41
Argyle 35

I believe they were playing freshman against Sanger due to some injuries..

hollywood
11-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
It is a poisonous nut.

Or in other words a glorified acorn! :)

poisoned10
11-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by hollywood

Acorns won't make you sick if you eat them. Not sure why you would do that anyways.

Atleast we are original with our mascot. Gilmer and Ohio State are the only 2 schools in the US with that mascot.

Argyle is 1 of 2 teams within a 5 mile radius named the Eagles.

bigwood33
11-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Argyle's offense is very good. Their strength lies in their balance. The best weapon is the RB, Layton Lowery. He has good speed and vision but his best asset is his strength. The receiver corps is big- 6'2", 6'2", 6'2", 6'4". They run great routes and are a matchup nightmare. The QB is a 6'2 or 3" kid with a cannon of an arm who runs pretty well. Let there be no doubt however, their offensive line is the difference. Big, strong, and nasty, they are a dominate bunch. The left tackle is the best football player that we played against this year. He is big, 6'5" and about 270 or 275 and has GREAT feet. He is outstanding at the point of attack and even better downfield. He doesn't just whip the guys arse across from him, he will chase him down the field to finish the job.

I didn't think there was any way their defense would be as good this year as they were last but I think they may be better. They lost 3 D1 kids from last years defense and somehow got better. They play fast and get a lot of bodies to the ball in a hurry.
Last but not least is their kicker. Unless the wind is in his face, get ready to start every possession after an Argyle score at the 20. He will pound it either deep into the end zone or out of it. Against us, he kicked a 53yd field goal and then bounced the kickoff off of the cross bar on the goal posts. He also punts very well. Most high school teams don't have weapons at every position and Argyle does.
Well, that's my preview for anyone who cares.

BLACK ATTACK
11-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Gilmer 41
Argyle 35

After watching BW play IP, and seeing Bridgeport hang 31 on them. They are certainly a lot less intimidating.

hollywood
11-21-2010, 09:01 PM

Gilmer 41
Argyle 35

Agreed. I think it'll be Gilmer on top by the end of this game. They played in a very tough district and have really grown as a team. Argyle is a good team no question. Would love to go out to Ennis and scout this one. I've never watched either team and this would be a great game for a first.

I say:

Gilmer 35
Argyle 20

skins4life
11-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Argyle's offense is very good. Their strength lies in their balance. The best weapon is the RB, Layton Lowery. He has good speed and vision but his best asset is his strength. The receiver corps is big- 6'2", 6'2", 6'2", 6'4". They run great routes and are a matchup nightmare. The QB is a 6'2 or 3" kid with a cannon of an arm who runs pretty well. Let there be no doubt however, their offensive line is the difference. Big, strong, and nasty, they are a dominate bunch. The left tackle is the best football player that we played against this year. He is big, 6'5" and about 270 or 275 and has GREAT feet. He is outstanding at the point of attack and even better downfield. He doesn't just whip the guys arse across from him, he will chase him down the field to finish the job.

I didn't think there was any way their defense would be as good this year as they were last but I think they may be better. They lost 3 D1 kids from last years defense and somehow got better. They play fast and get a lot of bodies to the ball in a hurry.
Last but not least is their kicker. Unless the wind is in his face, get ready to start every possession after an Argyle score at the 20. He will pound it either deep into the end zone or out of it. Against us, he kicked a 53yd field goal and then bounced the kickoff off of the cross bar on the goal posts. He also punts very well. Most high school teams don't have weapons at every position and Argyle does.

I watched them play Anna in Little Elm and that's pretty much what I saw!! I don't know anything about that area except from what my source tells me. ;)

Pawdaddy
11-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by hollywood

That would be a capital "G" to you sir.

Matthew328
11-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Argyle traditionally has struggled with the East Texas teams..will be interesting to see how they matchup

Tin Cup
11-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by BLACK ATTACK
After watching BW play IP, and seeing Bridgeport hang 31 on them. They are certainly a lot less intimidating.

You didn't like the 88 points?? Or was it the 61??

If you cut our scores in half we'd average 30 a game and we would have beat every team but Bridgeport. I'd be intimidated.

Gilmer ends the eagles run this week. If not, Carthage will

BLACK ATTACK
11-21-2010, 09:58 PM
You didn't like the 88 points?? Or was it the 61??

If you cut our scores in half we'd average 30 a game and we would have beat every team but Bridgeport. I'd be intimidated.

Gilmer ends the eagles run this week. If not, Carthage will

Right you may be, and if you take the time to look at what I wrote, I never at any point said that Argyle would beat either Gilmer or Carthage. They probably should, but yet we should have destroyed Pleasant Grove last year and didn't.

I was simply pointing out that after watching BW play IP, and knowing Bridgeport very well, that your defense is average, at best, and is certainly not intimidating. You can say what you want, but that's a fact. My hat's off to your offense. Pretty amazing stuff to watch. But, I promise you that you will struggle with whatever offense comes out of this side of the bracket, so you better be able to keep it at 88 or 61.

poisoned10
11-21-2010, 10:10 PM
The title is "Gilmer vs Argyle."

Can we keep it that way please?

Tin Cup
11-21-2010, 10:14 PM
I picked your team :D

poisoned10
11-21-2010, 10:21 PM
I know, thank you!

I wasn't asking you to leave the thread at all, just trying to keep on topic.

I haven't even voted in the poll yet. I know VERY little about Argyle and want to have more knowledge of them before I make my prediction.

Honestly, I have a tendency to heavily favor our oppenent early in the week and start to lean more towards Gilmer the closer we get to the game.

I am as big of a homer as the next guy, but. I also like to keep it real. If I honestly think we will lose, I will say so. I told everyone that I send updates to that I thought Daingerfield was going to beat us down.

So give me a day or 2 to learn a little more about our opponent and I'll give my prediction.

BLACK ATTACK
11-21-2010, 11:01 PM
The title is "Gilmer vs Argyle."

Can we keep it that way please?

Yes Sir!!.....Sorry

throwitdeep
11-21-2010, 11:02 PM
If you can not attend this one in person...you can listen to the Argyle broadcast teams coverage of the game on the Sportsgram Network at www.sportsgram.net.

poisoned10
11-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Yes Sir!!.....Sorry

Thanks!

There are plenty of other threads discussing Brownwood. We don't need this one "infected" also.

skins4life
11-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks!

There are plenty of other threads discussing Brownwood. We don't need this one "infected" also.

:iagree:

buckeyebob
11-22-2010, 05:29 AM
What's a buckeye?

It is TRADITION...and it will kick your a$$.

charlesrixey
11-22-2010, 07:54 AM
please merge with earlier thread-thanks!

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Man, what a game this one is going to be! Im gonna say Argyle wins this one.

BullBoy
11-22-2010, 08:12 AM
i'm thinking about maybe going to watch this one.:thinking:

lostaussie
11-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by skins4life
I watched them play Anna in Little Elm and that's pretty much what I saw!! I don't know anything about that area except from what my source tells me. ;) We ain't Anna..........lol

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2010, 08:56 AM
I dont know honestly if this is a bigger game than Madison vs Carthage..maybe for this week it should have been CO-GOTW

firstdown
11-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33

Bigwood that's a pretty good assessment of us. The coaches have done a great job with with this bunch of kids. We are young team, and should only get better over the next few years.

waterboy
11-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Man, what a game this one is going to be! Im gonna say Argyle wins this one.
Just for that I'm leaving you off my Christmas list. :p I was thinking about giving you a 5th of Crown, and a gift certificate, but you messed that up!:D

Have you seen Argyle play this year? Which Gilmer game did you see? Carthage? We had SEVEN starters out in that game, and an eighth that played about three plays in the 3rd quarter. It didn't help that we turned the ball over five times, either. What can you tell us about Argyle? I know they are good, but what kind of insight can you give us?

lostaussie
11-22-2010, 10:17 AM
He saw Atlanta, Carthage and Van that i know of.

waterboy
11-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
He saw Atlanta, Carthage and Van that i know of.
He was there Saturday? I didn't even know. He's still not making my Christmas list....;)

Undoubtedly, we will have our hands full. The Buckeyes must play the best game they've played all year. They must have a VERY focused and crisp week of practice. There are NO weak sisters from here on out.

Aesculus gilmus
11-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont know honestly if this is a bigger game than Madison vs Carthage..maybe for this week it should have been CO-GOTW

Madison game would only be a game of the week in retrospect because MOST people expect Carthage to roll whereas this one may be close. I know that may not be what happens, but that's just the PR reality of that game. The DISD schools always get treated like Rodney Dangerfield.

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Just for that I'm leaving you off my Christmas list. :p I was thinking about giving you a 5th of Crown, and a gift certificate, but you messed that up!:D

Have you seen Argyle play this year? Which Gilmer game did you see? Carthage? We had SEVEN starters out in that game, and an eighth that played about three plays in the 3rd quarter. It didn't help that we turned the ball over five times, either. What can you tell us about Argyle? I know they are good, but what kind of insight can you give us?
Dang, it, because of that crown, I was gonna edit my post! :D
I saw Gilmer/Atlanta, Gilmer/Carthage/ and Gilmer/Van this past saturday. Ive only seen Argyle once. I just think that Argyle will be able to pound Layton Lowry behind thier really really solid O-Line and be able to grind this game out. This doesnt mean I dont have a high opinion of Gilmer as I really do think Gilmer is a really really good football team. I just think Argyle wins the match up battle in a few more spots in this one. Cant wait to see this one!!!

lostaussie
11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
This doesnt mean I dont have a high opinion of Gilmer as I really do think Gilmer is a really really good football team. He ain't your boss.............you don't have to suck up too him:D

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 11:42 AM
He ain't your boss.............you don't have to suck up too him:D
Yeah I do, hes holdin a 5th of Crown!~

waterboy
11-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Dang, it, because of that crown, I was gonna edit my post! :D
I saw Gilmer/Atlanta, Gilmer/Carthage/ and Gilmer/Van this past saturday. Ive only seen Argyle once. I just think that Argyle will be able to pound Layton Lowry behind thier really really solid O-Line and be able to grind this game out. This doesnt mean I dont have a high opinion of Gilmer as I really do think Gilmer is a really really good football team. I just think Argyle wins the match up battle in a few more spots in this one. Cant wait to see this one!!!
Too late now.:D It's okay. I know the Buckeyes will have their hands full in this one. They've played some really good teams this year with good offensive lines that outweighed them by over a hundred pounds. This won't be anything new to them. They will definitely have to play better defensively than they did in the three games you saw to win. I don't really know what to expect in this one. I do, however, think Gilmer CAN win this game. They have to HANG ONTO THE BALL, disrupt their offense by stopping the run, AND not give up the big play. No doubt Gilmer will have to play their absolute BEST game in order to have a chance to win it.

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Too late now.:D It's okay. I know the Buckeyes will have their hands full in this one. They've played some really good teams this year with good offensive lines that outweighed them by over a hundred pounds. This won't be anything new to them. They will definitely have to play better defensively than they did in the three games you saw to win. I don't really know what to expect in this one. I do, however, think Gilmer CAN win this game. They have to HANG ONTO THE BALL, disrupt their offense by stopping the run, AND not give up the big play. No doubt Gilmer will have to play their absolute BEST game in order to have a chance to win it.
Well, bring your wallet Saturday and ill come sit by ya! Ive been known to be a bit of a good luck charm so me sittin on the Gilmer side outta make you guys 20 point favorites!

waterboy
11-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Well, bring your wallet Saturday and ill come sit by ya! Ive been known to be a bit of a good luck charm so me sittin on the Gilmer side outta make you guys 20 point favorites!
Yeah, right! Heck, I'm more apt to pay you to NOT sit on our side!:doh: Please sit on the home side! :D I might just bring you a bottle of Crown if you just sit on the home side.....:cool:

poisoned10
11-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Sweet!

I have a post that was stickied!

:clap:

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Yeah, right! Heck, I'm more apt to pay you to NOT sit on our side!:doh: Please sit on the home side! :D I might just bring you a bottle of Crown if you just sit on the home side.....:cool:
:eek: :eek: Does that mean you think I could be bad luck? :eek:

waterboy
11-22-2010, 12:11 PM
:eek: :eek: Does that mean you think I could be bad luck? :eek:
There's no such thing as luck, good or bad......:hand: .......BUT, to be on the safe side.:D

Really, I don't care either way.:cool: Can you give us any insight as to who Argyle has played that is once or twice removed from a team that we've played? Some kind of comparison would be nice.

I_DONT_CARE
11-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
MAYBE YOU SHOULD THROW YOUR NAME IN THE HAT FOR THE EDITOR NEXT YEAR. :rolleyes:

poisoned10
11-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I_DONT_CARE has the creepiest signature.

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
There's no such thing as luck, good or bad......:hand: .......BUT, to be on the safe side.:D

Really, I don't care either way.:cool: Can you give us any insight as to who Argyle has played that is once or twice removed from a team that we've played? Some kind of comparison would be nice.
I dont know if there is a team once or twice removed on thier schedule. Probably would have to do one of those six degrees of seperation kind of things

icu812
11-22-2010, 12:37 PM
I hope Gilmer pulls it out but I thought Gilmer's D was very avg. The only way I see Gilmer winning against a good offense is by scoring 40+ and winning a shootout. Gilmer is good at doing just that but if Argyle is a top 5 team they win by a couple td's. Not a knock on Gilmer I've watched you guys at least once a year since 2003 and I know what Gilmer has. Just being honest about what I saw last Sat. Good luck to Gilmer I hope they prove me wrong. 42-28 Argyle

waterboy
11-22-2010, 01:00 PM
I agree somewhat with you, icu. Gilmer's defense had a really bad game. Some of it was not as bad as it seemed because there were a lot of subs playing at different times in the 2nd half of the game, but that's no excuse for the missed assignments in the first half. They didn't seem to have an answer for the QB scramble, either. There were several times that Van's QB just plain missed wide open receivers, and that bothers me. That's not the way they've played prior to that game. The Black Flag Defense will definitely have to step it up a few notches to get past Argyle. I'll bet money there's gonna be some VERY tough practices this week in Gilmer...;)

icu812
11-22-2010, 01:16 PM
I agree somewhat with you, icu. Gilmer's defense had a really bad game. Some of it was not as bad as it seemed because there were a lot of subs playing at different times in the 2nd half of the game, but that's no excuse for the missed assignments in the first half. They didn't seem to have an answer for the QB scramble, either. There were several times that Van's QB just plain missed wide open receivers, and that bothers me. That's not the way they've played prior to that game. The Black Flag Defense will definitely have to step it up a few notches to get past Argyle. I'll bet money there's gonna be some VERY tough practices this week in Gilmer...;)

You saw what I saw then. Our qb missing those wide open receivers bothers me too :D

waterboy
11-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by icu812
You saw what I saw then. Our qb missing those wide open receivers bothers me too :D
:D :clap: :eek:

poisoned10
11-22-2010, 01:18 PM
I dont know if there is a team once or twice removed on thier schedule. Probably would have to do one of those six degrees of seperation kind of things

Here we go . . .

Argyle beat Anna, 45-7.

Anna lost to Quinlan Ford, 32-14.

Quinlan Ford lost to Van, 69-51.

Gilmer beat Van, 50-27.

That's about as close as we're going to get to Argyle as far as 'common' opponents go.

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Here we go . . .

Argyle beat Anna, 45-7.

Anna lost to Quinlan Ford, 32-14.

Quinlan Ford lost to Van, 69-51.

Gilmer beat Van, 50-27.

That's about as close as we're going to get to Argyle as far as 'common' opponents go.
Ughhh, unfortunatly, the three team string involves teams that are " no to veri gud" so its hard to get a good feel from that.

poisoned10
11-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Gilmer is getting throttled in the voting.

I sure hope 69% of 68 voters are wrong.

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Gilmer is getting throttled in the voting.

I sure hope 69% of 68 voters are wrong.
Ok, now I feel bad picking Argyle :(

buckeyebob
11-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Ok, now I feel bad picking Argyle :(

And rightfully so!! The East Texas Teams have always been nice to you...Gilmer, Carthage, etc...now, just so you can say "I was right" you pick Argyle over us...shamey, shamey...tttttt

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
And rightfully so!! The East Texas Teams have always been nice to you...Gilmer, Carthage, etc...now, just so you can say "I was right" you pick Argyle over us...shamey, shamey...tttttt
Im sorry im sorry. Hey, if it matters, I picked Celina over Lovejoy and look how that turned out! :D

buckeyebob
11-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Waterboy....where are you? See Gsquared above

waterboy
11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Im sorry im sorry. Hey, if it matters, I picked Celina over Lovejoy and look how that turned out! :D
:clap: :D Now I feel better.:D

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 02:00 PM
:clap: :D Now I feel better.:D
Dang it, you guys rejoice in my failure!

bobcat1
11-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Im sorry im sorry. Hey, if it matters, I picked Celina over Lovejoy and look how that turned out! :D :mad: Nanar Nanar Nanar pudding on you!

poisoned10
11-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Only when it works in our favor!

:D

LH Panther Mom
11-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Are you going to be in attendance? Were you at Celina/Lovejoy? If so, which side did/will you sit on? Did someone forget the nachos & cotton candy? :1omg!: :1omg!:

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Are you going to be in attendance? Were you at Celina/Lovejoy? If so, which side did/will you sit on? Did someone forget the nachos & cotton candy? :1omg!: :1omg!:
I was at the Celina / Lovejoy game. Was sitting on the Celina side. Nobody forked over any nacho's or anything!!! Tragic.

LH Panther Mom
11-22-2010, 02:16 PM
I was at the Celina / Lovejoy game. Was sitting on the Celina side. Nobody forked over any nacho's or anything!!! Tragic.
Oh mess! If you go to their next bbq scrimmage, do not, (I repeat!) do NOT, eat the banana pudding! :doh: :doh:

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Oh mess! If you go to their next bbq scrimmage, do not, (I repeat!) do NOT, eat the banana pudding! :doh: :doh:
I will NEVER EVER eat Bannana pudding again!!!! I am going to The Horseshoe in Shreveport for Thanksgiving buffet and they are supposed to have great bannana pudding but I will for sure pass on it!

buckeyebob
11-22-2010, 02:23 PM
http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/s/see-no-evil-hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil-emoticon.gif

All is forgiven & it never happened....welcome back to the fold.

poisoned10
11-22-2010, 02:34 PM

So you picked Celina and sat on their side and they lost.

Doesn't that mean we need you to sit with Argyle?

lostaussie
11-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Who's home and what are we wearing?

poisoned10
11-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Who's home and what are we wearing?

I'm not sure. I'll text my B-i-L and see if he knows.

waterboy
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
We are the visitor, but I don't know which uniforms we are wearing. I hope it's the black unis.;)

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 02:41 PM
So you picked Celina and sat on their side and they lost.

Doesn't that mean we need you to sit with Argyle?
Yeah, as long as the Argillians will let me up there with em!

Sweetwater Red
11-22-2010, 02:52 PM
If any posters are interested in having the state bound shirt for
this game PM me please.

poisoned10
11-22-2010, 02:57 PM
We are visitors and will be wearing white.

:(

buckeyebob
11-22-2010, 03:07 PM
We are visitors and will be wearing white.

:(

This is what I understood. Oldtownag is going to be with me Sat.

firstdown
11-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah, as long as the Argillians will let me up there with em!

Your always welcome G. Hell we are 1-0 and with you in the stands.

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Your always welcome G. Hell we are 1-0 and with you in the stands.
Thats right. I think Argyle is the only team that is 1-0 with me sittin on thier side! :D Save me a seat!

firstdown
11-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Thats right. I think Argyle is the only team that is 1-0 with me sittin on thier side! :D Save me a seat!

Done deal! See ya Sat.

lostaussie
11-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Yeah, as long as the Argillians will let me up there with em! Argillians lol................that almost as funny as Fornicators!!:D

Sweetwater Red
11-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
If any posters are interested in having the state bound shirt for
this game PM me please.

Thanks for stepping up firstdown. Whatever you do just remember don't leave G2
alone with the shirt. :eek: :D

bobcat1
11-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Thats right. I think Argyle is the only team that is 1-0 with me sittin on thier side! :D Save me a seat! Um how many Celina games did you see this year?

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Thanks for stepping up firstdown. Whatever you do just remember don't leave G2
alone with the shirt. :eek: :D
SWR, I carry one of my wifes socks around in my pocket now so the T-Shirt should be safe.

waterboy
11-22-2010, 03:58 PM
SWR, I carry one of my wifes socks around in my pocket now so the T-Shirt should be safe.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :doh:

Gsquared
11-22-2010, 04:00 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :doh:
Well what else am I supposed to do? I normally wipe my hands on the dog but not like I can take him everywhere I go.

bowleghorses
11-22-2010, 04:01 PM
If I didn't have to work this weekend, I would make this drive.At least I'll have my text coming in...Thanks:D

waterboy
11-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Well what else am I supposed to do? I normally wipe my hands on the dog but not like I can take him everywhere I go.
Weren't you the reason the shirt got "washed" in the first place?:D It's okay. Bring an extra sock just in case.....:D

lostaussie
11-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Well what else am I supposed to do? I normally wipe my hands on the dog but not like I can take him everywhere I go. :doh:

BLACK ATTACK
11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Done deal! See ya Sat.

Now, wait a minute. We damn near got beat by Sanger with G sitting over there, so we might want to re-consider.

hollywood
11-22-2010, 06:13 PM

Well if it matters, I picked Lovejoy over Celina and I picked Gilmer over Argyle... I'm usually right. :D

bobcat1
11-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Now, wait a minute. We damn near got beat by Sanger with G sitting over there, so we might want to re-consider. I would! The Goo Goo curse got stronger last week!

MesquiteFan
11-22-2010, 06:31 PM
G's been picking against Lovejoy all year. It hasn't worked out so bad, so keep it up! :D

oldtownag
11-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Ok, here is the oldtownag's prediction:

I think the Argyle O-line pounds it down the "tiny defense" throat all game long. However, Gilmer will score fast and often. I see this as a 42-35 type of game with the winner being decided by turnover. That unfortunately does not favor the Buckeye's. But what does favor them is being battle tested in 16 AAA.

I'll go with my heart and say Gilmer wins.

:cheerl: :2thumbsup :spitlol: :tmi:

Txbroadcaster
11-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by oldtownag

I think the Argyle O-line pounds it down the "tiny defense" throat all game long. However, Gilmer will score fast and often. I see this as a 42-35 type of game with the winner being decided by turnover. That unfortunately does not favor the Buckeye's. But what does favor them is being battle tested in 16 AAA.

As great as Argyle's running game is..they are not really a smashmouth..more like counters and misdirection and some zone read style plays mixed in. They dont line up fire off at the D to much which I think MIGHT play into Gilmer's strength with a smaller faster D

buckeyebob
11-23-2010, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by oldtownag

The Buckeyes will be ready...& next week will be the real teat of who is the best!!!

Pawdaddy
11-23-2010, 07:25 AM
The Buckeyes will be ready...& next week will be the real teat of who is the best!!!

I would prefer to be on the front teat, please!:D :thinking:

lostaussie
11-23-2010, 07:26 AM
The Buckeyes will be ready...& next week will be the real teat of who is the best!!! i believe we will be ready also..............but lets play them on game at a time:thumbsup:

bobcat1
11-23-2010, 07:44 AM
The Buckeyes will be ready...& next week will be the real teat of who is the best!!! :D :D :D I like real ones!

BullBoy
11-23-2010, 08:57 AM
next week will be the real TEAT!!! :eek: :eek:

poisoned10
11-23-2010, 03:22 PM
I've been doing a lot of reading, stat checking and what not. This is just a little bit of info and some opinions I've formed based on that info. This is in no way official anything. Just a Gilmer fan taking time to learn a little more about our opponent this weekend.

Offensively, it all starts with their offensive line. I don't know sizes or anything, but apparently they do an excellent job. 0, ZERO, NONE, NO sacks allowed all season and only 1 play went for a loss in their last game against Prosper. Pretty freaking good if you ask me.

Then there is SR. RB Lowry. He is going to get the ball about 15 time per game and do big things with those carries. He averages around 125 yards per game and has accounted for roughly half of their rushing TD total.

QB Austin Aune has proved to be very dangerous as well. He seems to be a 'pocket passer' but can pick up yards running if needed. He will throw it 20-30 times and is going to complete most of those passes. He's averaging close to 200 yards per game with about 28 TD's and only 8 INT's.

Aune's favorite target is Adam Khan. He leads the team in receptions, receiving yards and receiving TD's. But he isn't the only one that can do any damage. Chadd Bossow and Justin Hommel both are big play receivers. Those 3 guys account for about 70% of the team's total receptions and receiving yards and about 85% of the receiving TD's. The others seem to catch a few here and there. Only 1 other receiver, Forrer averages over 1 catch per game.

Defensively, they don't cause many fumbles, but when they do, they usually recover them. They have about 10 fumble recoveries to go along with 14 INT's. Their leading tacklers are: Storm Griffin, Carston Bossow, Tucker Ray and Trent Cantrell.

As far as comparing schedules, I believe Gilmer has played a tougher schedule.

Argyle's opponents combined for a 78-68 record while Gilmer's opponents combined for a 97-46 record. Argyle's schedule included 9 playoff teams and 2 district champions while Gilmer's featured 8 playoff teams and 5 district champions. Argyle had 5 opponents with sub .500 records while Gilmer only had 3.

A few numbers:

Points For:
Argyle - 520 (43 ppg)
Gilmer - 504 (42 ppg)

Points Against:
Argyle - 154 (13 ppg)
Gilmer - 319 (27 ppg)

Opponents Scoring Averages:
Argyle - (29 Points For Per Game, 24 Points Against Per Game)
Gilmer - (34 Points For Per Game, 24 Points Against Per Game)

My take on the game:

It's going to take a GREAT defensive effort to slow down the Argyle offense. Our D-Line is going to have to get penetration and our DB's are going to have to lock up, especially whoever is covering Khan.

I believe Gilmer will have some success on offense. If we don't turn the ball over, we should be able to put up points on par with what we have averaged all year.

My Predictions:

Gilmer's #1 problem has been turnovers. In Gilmer's 3 losses, we have a total of 15 turnovers. In Gilmer's 9 wins, we have a total of 11.

If Gilmer turns the ball over 2 times or few, which I think/hope they will, Gilmer will in a close one.

Gilmer - 35
Argyle - 31

Aesculus gilmus
11-23-2010, 03:35 PM
This is really picky of me, poisoned10, but I come up with 520 points for Argyle rather than 506.

If you got your totals from Maxpreps, I noticed just now that they have the wrong score for the Prosper game last week. It was actually 45-14 rather than 31-14 as they have it.

poisoned10
11-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
This is really picky of me, poisoned10, but I come up with 520 points for Argyle rather than 506.

If you got your totals from Maxpreps, I noticed just now that they have the wrong score for the Prosper game last week. It was actually 45-14 rather than 31-14 as they have it.

You're right. I wrote the scores down and had the right score. I guess I just hit a wrong button when I was doing my adding.

Thanks for the correction!

waterboy
11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
I'll tell ya, I don't know what will happen in this game. It looks like these two teams are evenly matched. Scores and schedules really are like comparing apples to oranges, but it's all we've got to go on, though. The Buckeyes will definitely have to play "up" to the competition this week.........if there is such a thing. I like the Buckeyes' chances IF they HANG ONTO THE BALL (NO TURNOVERS), keep the running game in check, and prevent the big play. Offensively, the Buckeyes must be able to stretch the field a few times on pass plays, and run effectively to set up the pass. That looks like a tall order, but I know the Buckeyes are capable. If the Buckeyes are leading heading into the last two minutes with the ball, they WILL put it away. It might come down to who has the ball last...:eek: Looks like another thriller!

MesquiteFan
11-24-2010, 02:32 AM
I'll tell ya, I don't know what will happen in this game. It looks like these two teams are evenly matched. Scores and schedules really are like comparing apples to oranges, but it's all we've got to go on, though. The Buckeyes will definitely have to play "up" to the competition this week.........if there is such a thing. I like the Buckeyes' chances IF they HANG ONTO THE BALL (NO TURNOVERS), keep the running game in check, and prevent the big play. Offensively, the Buckeyes must be able to stretch the field a few times on pass plays, and run effectively to set up the pass. That looks like a tall order, but I know the Buckeyes are capable. If the Buckeyes are leading heading into the last two minutes with the ball, they WILL put it away. It might come down to who has the ball last...:eek: Looks like another thriller!

Good assessments... Argyle's O doesn't really get that many big plays or at least they didn't against LL, who at that point in the season had an above average, but not great, defense. Also, LL was able to stretch the field on them a few times through the air, though not very often.

I think Argyle pulls this one out, but it should be a close one if Gilmer limits the turnovers and can get a few big passing plays in.

buckeyebob
11-24-2010, 06:10 AM
i believe we will be ready also..............but lets play them on game at a time:thumbsup:

The nice part about being a Fan is I can play multiple games in advance, arm chair coach, be 100% right, and a Sage.

buckeyebob
11-24-2010, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Pawdaddy
I would prefer to be on the front teat, please!:D :thinking:

Myself

buckeyebob
11-24-2010, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
:D :D :D I like real ones!

Myself X2

buckeyebob
11-24-2010, 06:19 AM
next week will be the real TEAT!!!{/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BullBoy
:eek: :eek:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/stop.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

BullBoy
11-24-2010, 07:52 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/stop.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) it's alright, we know what you meant, happens to me all the time on those letters that are right next to each other on the keyboard. TEAT..lol:D

good luck to Gilmer against Argyle, both teams are proven winners.

Gsquared
11-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Man, as Saturday gets closer and closer, I get more excited about this game!!!!

Eagle2
11-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Rooting for Argyle & Love Joy to go all the way. Prosper has played them both and they are both very classy teams it seems. I am extremely impressed with Love Joys coaching staff. They did something you don't see often by outcoaching Celina last Friday. Good luck to both teams!

MesquiteFan
11-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Eagle2
Rooting for Argyle & Love Joy to go all the way. Prosper has played them both and they are both very classy teams it seems. I am extremely impressed with Love Joys coaching staff. They did something you don't see often by outcoaching Celina last Friday. Good luck to both teams!

+1

poisoned10
11-24-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by MesquiteFan
+1

waterboy
11-24-2010, 01:12 PM

garciap77
11-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm going with the defending state champs! Go Gilmer!:clap: :clap: :clap:

firstdown
11-24-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the support. We are going to roll gomer. uhh sorry I meant Gilmer.

waterboy
11-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the support. We are going to roll gomer.
Who the heck is "gomer"? If y'all are gonna "roll" him, I hope for your sake he ain't packing....:D

MesquiteFan
11-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Argyle is running away with the poll haha

waterboy
11-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Yep. Argyle is running away with this poll, but if you go to smoaky, Gilmer is running away with the poll. Who knows how these two teams will match up. Everybody has their opinion, and somebody HAS to be wrong. I just hope it's the majority of people on THIS poll.:D

Gsquared
11-24-2010, 04:37 PM

waterboy
11-24-2010, 05:02 PM

You're a man of many words....:D

jessinargyle
11-24-2010, 05:19 PM

Nothing like confidence...I remember what happened to us last year when we looked past Pleasant Grove.

poisoned10
11-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by MesquiteFan
Argyle is running away with the poll haha

That's fine. After the game, Argyle will just be, running away.

bobcat1
11-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by jessinargyle

Nothing like confidence...I remember what happened to us last year when we looked past Pleasant Grove. You have a one track mind!:D

BLACK ATTACK
11-24-2010, 05:48 PM
That's fine. After the game, Argyle will just be, running away.

:rolleyes:

waterboy
11-24-2010, 05:58 PM
That's alright, jess. I like real teats, too!:D

firstdown
11-24-2010, 08:44 PM
That's alright, jess. I like real teats, too!:D

+1 :D

Welcome aboard Jess.

Aesculus gilmus
11-25-2010, 10:05 AM
What's interesting is that on that other site which may not be named where most of the armchair, keyboard commando Buckeyes hang out, the poll result is a mirror image of this one. It's even tracking it. It was 70-30 Gilmer on there as opposed to 70-30 Argyle on here yesterday. Now both are at 68-32.

MesquiteFan
11-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Yep. Argyle is running away with this poll, but if you go to smoaky, Gilmer is running away with the poll. Who knows how these two teams will match up. Everybody has their opinion, and somebody HAS to be wrong. I just hope it's the majority of people on THIS poll.:D

That's because posters from that other site which won't be named are mostly all East Texas homers haha

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I like Gilmer in this one, even without having seen them play. I've seen first hand how a great district can prepare a team to play in the playoffs. 15-4A and 16-3A are just about equally tough and right now, 15-4A has two teams still in and one (Poteet) that went 1-19 in the last two years.

This is going to be a GREAT game. Good luck to both teams!

buckeyebob
11-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Coach Traylor is very optomistic about te game...he pointed out that in the last 6 years, the Buckeyes have not lost a game to a non-East Texas Team accept Liberty Hill in '06...mmmmmmmmmm!!
Says that Argyle has not seen the likes of the Buckeyes (I know, some say the East Texas speed thing is over rated...we will see)

waterboy
11-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Word is the Argyle coaches who were scouting the Gilmer/Van game were very confident, too. Of course, I've seen that type of confidence before, but once you have to match up with that team the confidence can fade rapidly. I don't know what will happen in this game, and it's anybody's guess, but I am confident in this group of Buckeyes to find a way to win. Whatever happens I know I'll be there with the rest of the Army of Buckeyes. We've got their backs.:clap: GO BUCKEYES!!!

IshotAcarebear
11-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Stop Argyle's run game, they beat you with the pass. Stop the pass, Lowery puts up 300.
Key for Gilmer would be spying Layton Lowery with at least a db and a safety the whole game. (Outstanding double threat)

Argyle by 14.

firstdown
11-26-2010, 02:50 PM
M&G at the game in Ennis. I don't now the stadium so if anyone has a good place to gather prior to the start or at the half let me know. For the time being lets meet at the score board at halftime.

I will have the 3Adownlow shirt with me if you want to sign it. We can take a few pics. whatever...let me know PM me if you want a phone number.

poisoned10
11-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by IshotAcarebear
Stop Argyle's run game, they beat you with the pass. Stop the pass, Lowery puts up 300.
Key for Gilmer would be spying Layton Lowery with at least a db and a safety the whole game. (Outstanding double threat)

Argyle by 14.

Well that sucks. I was really hoping that Gilmer could stop them a few times.

I guess we are going to have to score every possession AND convert 2-point conversions in order to win.

That's going to be REALLY hard to do.

waterboy
11-26-2010, 05:51 PM
If we can take one thing or the other away from them, it definitely increases our chances at the win. I'm pretty sure our coaches are well aware of this, and prepared accordingly. The Buckeyes have a pretty decent offense, too.;) If the Buckeyes can keep it close, or build a lead, I like our chances. The Buckeyes are at home in the playoffs, and they've been in more close games. This should be a dandy of a game.

buckeyebob
11-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Lovejoy said NO WAY

Madison...so fast & physical

What happened...the District of Doom rolls on ...tomorrow...2PM

bobcat1
11-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Oh Glimer, you are taking way too much joy in other teams losses. Hope it don't bite you in the butt tomorrow.

Buckeye80
11-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Well, I actually took a day off of work for this one. That came as a shock to my wife, because I never take a day off for anything.:D

This will be only the fourth Buckeye game I've seen this year, and I'm really anxious to see if the Buckeyes I saw against Tatum or the Buckeyes I saw play Henderson show up.

If the Buckeyes that played Henderson and Daingerfield show up, I'll take the Buckeyes something like 50-24.

If the Buckeyes that played Tatum and Jacksonville show up, I'll take Argyle 40-14.

So, lets just say hypothetically, that a combination of those teams is what we see. I will say that the grueling schedule and big game experience of the Buckeyes will pay off in this one.

Buckeyes 47
Eagles 31

poisoned10
11-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Oh Glimer, you are taking way too much joy in other teams losses. Hope it don't bite you in the butt tomorrow.

None of us are playing tomorrow, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I promise you the ones that will be playing tomorrow aren't worried about what happened in any games tonight. They are only worried about one game tomorrow at 2 in Ennis.

buckeyebob
11-27-2010, 06:01 AM

Ah yes...I am taking great pleasure in my district brethren kicking butt & taking names, as I will today. I have just enough homer in me to enjoy it. You must admit that Lovejoy was taking quite a bit of pleasure in their attitude of Carthage...no one seemed to care about Madison too much...but as Homers, the District of Doom is living up to the hipe that a lot of Metro Homers did not seem to appreciate. And you are right...we will see this PM.

bobcat1
11-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Ah yes...I am taking great pleasure in my district brethren kicking butt & taking names, as I will today. I have just enough homer in me to enjoy it. You must admit that Lovejoy was taking quite a bit of pleasure in their attitude of Carthage...no one seemed to care about Madison too much...but as Homers, the District of Doom is living up to the hipe that a lot of Metro Homers did not seem to appreciate. And you are right...we will see this PM. Sorry i just noticed my mispelling of Gilmer. You know they did not have keyboarding when I was in school and typing was for the girls. :D

LionFan72
11-27-2010, 02:06 PM
is the game gonna be broadcast on the net? maybe i missed it!

poisoned10
11-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Argyle has more band member than fans right now. They don't have very many coming in either. Only a few every now and then.

Gilmer has quite a few already and are steadily coming in.

lbjacj
11-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by LionFan72
is the game gonna be broadcast on the net? maybe i missed it!

I would like to listen to this one also.My son lives in Pittsburg and we drove from his house through Gilmer on the way to Wimberleys game last night and saw a lot of signs supporting the Buckeyes.As a matter of fact I worked in Gilmer for Montague Gage building houses when I was 17 and living in longview back in the early seventies so I have been a fan for a looooong time.

LionFan72
11-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Found it,

www.sportsgram.net

lulu
11-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Good luck Buckeyes from your Spring Hill D Of D brothers. Hit em hard and often.
Make us proud.

lulu
11-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Oh Glimer, you are taking way too much joy in other teams losses. Hope it don't bite you in the butt tomorrow. All of us from 16 3A are. We are proud for our district representatives and it's only right that we support them. And we do so vigorously. Kind of Cocky aint we?:D lol

gobbla4life
11-27-2010, 08:33 PM
what was the score. Thanks

WOS87
11-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Argyle 41
Gilmer 14
FINAL

gobbla4life
11-27-2010, 08:57 PM
thanks guys, good season Gilmer.