PDA

View Full Version : Navarro's offense rips Sam Houston

bag-o-chips
11-20-2010, 02:28 AM
Sam Houston coach Gary Green believes his defense can stop most teams on most Friday nights. It always helps, he said, when the Hurricanes can find the ball.
With a well-executed three-back set coming out of a Wing T formation, Navarro piled up 414 yards rushing and hammered Sam Houston with it in the first half on the way to defeating the Hurricanes 31-0 in a Class 3A Division II area-round playoff game Friday at Lehnhoff Stadium.

“We've got some big athletic boys,” Green said. “We just couldn't find the ball.”

They couldn't because the alternating inside gives and fakes and misdirection runs kept the Hurricanes completely off balance. Navarro was led by junior running back Eric Schleier, whose 33 carries for 207 yards and three touchdowns carried the Panthers (10-2) into the next round against Mathis.

Schleier has scored 20 TDs this season. Kirk Chalmers added 161 yards on 17 carries for Navarro.

Sam Houston (8-3) briefly got its offense going, but it didn't add up to much.

“I would have never believed that we would have held them scoreless,” Navarro coach Les Goad said. “I was hoping we could just eliminate their big plays.

“I've just got to take my hat off to our defense tonight. They did a great job and got the momentum on our side with the interception for the touchdown early. It just seemed to snowball after that.”

After the Panthers missed a field goal on their first possession, Navarro's defense made up for it when linebacker Jordan Poole intercepted Sam Houston's Richard DeLong six minutes into the game and returned it 31 yards for a score and a 7-0 lead.

Schleier and the rest of the Navarro offense took over after that. He got into the end zone on a pair of second-quarter 2-yard runs and a 5-yarder in the third. The second score came through a big hole plowed open by right tackle Ruben Hernandez at the end of a 12-play, 80-yard drive that made it 21-0 with 3:41 left before halftime.

Navarro picked up more first downs in that drive — six — than Sam Houston had all game.

“I hate playing Wing T and Slot T teams,” Green said. “We thought we understood it and tried to simulate it in practice, but when you get here it's 100 times faster.

“Of course they stopped our offense, too.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/navarros_offense_rips_sam_houston_109376039.html?s howFullArticle=y

Mojo84
11-20-2010, 08:53 AM
I've seen Navarro's offense in person. When they are clicking it is fun to watch thier "old school" style of offense. They also appear very well coached and disciplined. Congrats to the Panthers.

lbjacj
11-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Way to go District brother!!!:clap:
We may meet again if we both win next week!

wimbo_pro
11-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by lbjacj
Way to go District brother!!!:clap:
We may meet again if we both win next week!

Very true lbjacj...I think I feel an re-match coming on. The good news for us is we are VERY experienced in handling their style offense. Navarro plays with a lot of intensity and fire-in-the-belly, so we better beware and work hard....assuming we meet. Lets worry about Sweeny/Robstown, right?

Frontline Force
11-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Don't count your chickens before they hatch...mathis is a good team and they believe they can play with anyone on Friday night...mathis is a very disciplined team so panthers beware!!