PDA

View Full Version : All-Time State Champions Compared (1920-2009)

WOS87
11-18-2010, 11:29 PM
State Champs Compared

Here are the 384 teams that have had some claim to an 11-man football title in all classifications from 1920-2009, including teams that eventually had to forfeit titles as well as Fort Worth Masonic Home who tied Corsicana in the state title game in 1932 but wasn't officially a co-champ due to losing on penetrations.

The first set of columns is State Championship teams ranked by Highest Average Points Scored per game
The middle set of columns is State Championship teams ranked by Fewest Average Points Allowed per game
The last set of columns is State Championship teams ranked by Highest Average Margin of Victory per game

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/bestever.gif

Snotbubbles
11-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Good stuff here. Thanks.

hollywood
11-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Awesome stats WOS87! Based on stats, looks like the '75 team of Big Sandy was one of the best teams of all time! #1 in both avg points scored per game and avg margin of victory per game and #3 in fewest points allowed per game. Daaaaaang!

WOS87
11-18-2010, 11:45 PM
1975 Big Sandy (14-0-0) Class B State Champs (equivalent to 1A today)

Winona 43-0
Pineland Sabine 54-0
Union Grove 66-0
Hawkins 55-7
Como-Pickton 63-0
Union Hill 60-0
Big Sandy Harmony 73-0
Leverett's Chapel 62-0
Mount Enterprise 71-0
Price Carlisle 91-0

Bi-D: Corsicana Mildred 65-6
Quarters: Axtell 55-0
Semis: Moody 38-0
Finals: Groom 28-2

Overall: 824 pts scored, 15 pts allowed

They STILL hold the record for total points scored in a full season in UIL 11-man football with 824 DESPITE only playing 14 games that season.

Snotbubbles
11-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Oppps, they played 16 games. My bad.

WOS87
11-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles
I think that middle column for Daingerfield, should be 0.47 too. They played 17 games, 8 points given up.

Nope... they only played 16 games. We discussed that already so it's cool.

Snotbubbles
11-18-2010, 11:55 PM
David Overstreet was the RB of that '75 Big Sandy team. Lovie Smith (Chicago Bears Coach played there too, but---I think a year or two before '75)

Snotbubbles
11-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Here's some good read on that dominating 1975 Big Sandy team. Their coach was the towns mayor too.

http://amarillo.com/stories/121405/hss_3487166.shtml

charlesrixey
11-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles
That Big Sandy team, was that before the Overstreet kid?

no, he was there

i think 1975 was his senior season

makes me feel good knowing that BS was #1 and #3 in MOV in 75 and 73 and we tied them in a shutout in the 74 title game

Snotbubbles
11-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
no, he was there

i think 1975 was his senior season

makes me feel good knowing that BS was #1 and #3 in MOV in 75 and 73 and we tied them in a shutout in the 74 title game

Lovie Smith (Chi Bears coach) played for them in 73 I think. Awwww, some good memories here. Thanks WOS.

Milk That Cow
11-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Not trying to be negative, but it's practically impossible to compare teams using these stats from year to year...

It's all about who you played that year, and some of these teams didn't have to run through a gauntlet to win The Championship...

But, some teams did have to run through a gauntlet to win state and because of a tough schedule these stats make it look like they are a subpar champion compared to others...

For instance the 2001 Lufkin Team is shown as #364 in point differential and they were one of the Best High School Football Teams(imho) Of All-Time. Their schedule that year was brutal...

WOS87
11-19-2010, 12:43 AM
I agree with you... I'm in the process of putting together a ranking with strength of schedule included (I already have one for 5A only) but you surely understand how difficult that is going back to the 1920's to find data for almost 400 teams (and all of their opponents included in order to calculate that) as a one-man show here.

Honestly... and no offense, I think the Lufkin teams that lost to SLC were better. These are just State Champs... there are MANY teams I think that were better than some of these listed above... There was a Waco team that lost in the State Finals in 1923 to Abilene that had shutout every opponent and lost to Abilene 0-3 in the State Finals. One could argue they were better than the '83 Daingerfield defense. They only allowed 3 points the entire season in the highest existing classification.

...and as they told me in med school which applies here (What do you call someone who graduates last in their med school class?? Doctor).... what do you call a team who is listed at the lower end of the above stats?? State Champs! :) They are just stats... Chill!

Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Not trying to be negative, but it's practically impossible to compare teams using these stats from year to year...

It's all about who you played that year, and some of these teams didn't have to run through a gauntlet to win The Championship...

But, some teams did have to run through a gauntlet to win state and because of a tough schedule these stats make it look like they are a subpar champion compared to others...

For instance the 2001 Lufkin Team is shown as #364 in point differential and they were one of the Best High School Football Teams(imho) Of All-Time. Their schedule that year was brutal...

WOS87
11-19-2010, 01:31 AM
What happened to your old avatar pic btw?? I really liked it.

IMO Liberty Hill had some of the best teams of all time which, granted, aren't reflected in the above stats

That '02 Midland Greenwood team was pretty good too!

;)

Super_R
11-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by WOS87

IMO Liberty Hill had some of the best teams of all time which, granted, aren't reflected in the above stats
;)

I agree. They did what they did with a rediciliously tough schedule.

BwdLions
11-19-2010, 10:41 AM

It's true that you can't hardly compare one team to another team, especially when you consider the changes in football through the years. However, I like to look at things like this just for comparison. It's just a way of ranking teams based on the two basic concepts of football (points scored and points allowed).

gatordaze
11-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Celina is on pace to beat their 2005 ppg scoring record.

Currently at 52.1 per game 2005 was 50.1 ppg. Gets a bunch tougher from here on out. They wont be able to beat the total point of 803 due to 15 v 16 games played for D1 unless they ruts on someone which the coaches would not do anyway.

Anyway you cut it this years O is sick!

charlesrixey
11-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Interestingly, almost all of the teams at the bottom of the list in terms of ppg allowed have come since 1980. Shows just how much more offense has exploded over the last 10-15 years. Its much more common to give up 10+ ppg than it was back in the day. Which i think makes MOV the most clear indicator of dominance. Unfortunately, since the 13 teams that averaged 40 points MOV were so clearly above their competition that they certainly didn't play their starters the whole game, it will never be possible to separate the top teams, except by the defensive ppg as well.

Phil C
11-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Good Information indeed. :clap:

charlesrixey
11-19-2010, 01:20 PM

it is hard to argue against this. but at least we know one thing in texas that a lot of states dont-who the best teams are at the end of the season!