PDA

View Full Version : Junior High baseball

XMan
11-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Does your school have junior high baseball? Is there ANY school that has this? The UIL lists this as a sport but I dont know of anyone that plays it.

GrTigers6
11-18-2010, 06:10 PM
I dont know of any. But that doesnt mean anything.:D

BaseballUmp
11-18-2010, 06:11 PM
He's baaaaaaack

Yoe_09
11-18-2010, 06:18 PM
We dont but I would like to see it.

3afan
11-18-2010, 06:19 PM
there is some middle school softball in the DFW area

its brutal

XMan
11-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Jr High baseball will never catch on. Wish it would, but it wont. Also, it can be played anytime during the school year, you just have a certain number of consecutive days to get it in. Having it would really help the non rich kids that cant afford all the high dollar daddy ball mess that goes on. It would really help to even the field for the minority kids.

Old Tiger
11-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Watching the old LLWS there were more black kids playing then than there are now.

wildstangs
11-18-2010, 07:10 PM
I believe some of the El Paso districts do. Maybe Ysleta?

bigwood33
11-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Feel free to move to Oklahoma....they play ms baseball there.

pirate4state
11-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Does your school have junior high baseball? Is there ANY school that has this? The UIL lists this as a sport but I dont know of anyone that plays it. nope, but we have an OUTSTANDING Little League program :D

Dub-C
11-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Does your school have junior high baseball? Is there ANY school that has this? The UIL lists this as a sport but I dont know of anyone that plays it.

My son plays select ball. That's the option for him to continue to play baseball when babe ruth is not up and running.

Super_R
11-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Feel free to move to Oklahoma....they play ms baseball there.

I had a buddy of mine that won state twice in the same year...fall and spring.

GreenMonster
11-18-2010, 10:20 PM
I also think that the Houston ISD supports jr hi baseball.

NastySlot
11-18-2010, 10:58 PM
a long time ago.....late 80's i know the DISD did ...i ump'd some of their games.....plus sub-varsity games.

in the San Antonio area the Catholic M.S. don't know about the public schools.

Matthew328
11-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Dallas ISD has junior high baseball

pancho villa
11-19-2010, 09:34 AM
MS baseball what a joke! This is a time in a childs life we should be teaching them to exercise NOT STAND AROUND!!!!!

baseballcoach13
11-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Mississippi has JH baseball too.

I coached it for 6 years as well as varsity. It was a huge benefit for the program to have a kid in your system for 6 years. By the time they are seniors they know what you want as well as any coach on staff.

What sucked was JH double headers on Monday, and Thursday, and Varsity/jv double headers on Tues, FRi, and and 4 games on Sat.

NastySlot
11-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
MS baseball what a joke! This is a time in a childs life we should be teaching them to exercise NOT STAND AROUND!!!!!

right they should be at jh track meets missing races....waiting for their turns to get run throughs at the pole vault pits........and stuff like that...Right

pancho villa
11-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
right they should be at jh track meets missing races....waiting for their turns to get run throughs at the pole vault pits........and stuff like that...Right

You darn skippy!

mustanglonghorn
11-19-2010, 11:05 AM
North Zulch ISD has it, I believe they play Iola and Normangee during this time but don't hold me to that........good idea, hard to make happen

coach
11-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
there is some middle school softball in the DFW area

its brutal

i can only imagine...

our jr high has golf...i bet you see some 200's put up

dirtysouth
11-19-2010, 11:19 AM
So schools can have Jr. high Football, Basketball, Tennis, Golf, and Track but no Baseball. Doesnt seem right to me. The two most popular sports in Texas are Football followed shortly thereafter by baseball.

91 lion
11-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Jr High baseball will never catch on. Wish it would, but it wont. Also, it can be played anytime during the school year, you just have a certain number of consecutive days to get it in. Having it would really help the non rich kids that cant afford all the high dollar daddy ball mess that goes on. It would really help to even the field for the minority kids.

I agree 100%. By the time HS rolls around, most all athletes are spoken for, in regards to thier sport(s).

The kids that are continuing with baseball in HS have had to play 2-3years oif Jr. select ball....just to continuine playing after Little League, to bridge the gap.

My boy is playing select ball, and it is 300-400/month easily for these travel teams....and he is only 12. Im a little league guy first, but our league has been decimated by select ball the last few years, so it's really our only option for him to play.

Opening it up to Jr. High would allow the kids that don't play select ball a chance to experience another sport at a different time in their development.

I know that it will probably never happen, but I would be for it.....and if MLB really wants to do something about the inner city/minority decline in interest in baseball, they should fund programs for Jr. Highs, versus just building parks.

That would spark interest for sure.

Ernest T Bass
11-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Every town Ive lived in, little league goes clear to 14 years old(normal age for an incoming freshman). So, where is the gap?

91 lion
11-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Every town Ive lived in, little league goes clear to 14 years old(normal age for an incoming freshman). So, where is the gap?

Ours stopped at 12. And the gap is that once these kids started to play the other school-sponsored sports, the interest was gone in LL. The super serious continue with select, but thats it.

2 years ago we had enough Jr High aged kids to make up 1 team for Jrs Little League....that's not a league......where, in comparison, our under 10 league has 18 teams.

If it was school sponsored, you would garner a lot more interest.

Maybe it's just my area that has been hit hard by this, I don't know, but I do know that interest is waning.

NastySlot
11-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by dirtysouth
So schools can have Jr. high Football, Basketball, Tennis, Golf, and Track but no Baseball. Doesnt seem right to me. The two most popular sports in Texas are Football followed shortly thereafter by baseball.

no they can have baseball and some even have soccer.